The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 January 2021, 09:10 AM   #1
raychrome
"TRF" Member

5524/5164a/Tiffany...looking for advice

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice as a long time lurker, first time poster :)

I am currently in the process of narrowing down a Patek purchase. All these are grey market options, I have an AD that has offered me a 5524R which I really like however after countless hours online and taking with grey market dealers I am able to acquire one at a better discount than I would through the AD. The only plus on buying from the AD is the relationship that I will continue to maintain and maybe in the future could stand me well for getting a harder to come by piece

So back to the question at hand, I have been on the hunt for a while and have narrowed it down to either buying a 5524G or 5164A-001. Both very different watches I know. On they grey market I am going to be paying significantly less for a 5524g versus the 5164 I know. However the 5524 has a lot of appeal to me in that it is a unique watch for Patek in how starkly different it is to most everything else they produce, and I think the market comes and goes and someday it may have its moment. But really I am buying the watch for me so I dont mind too much either way, I just dont want to overpay on something massively. Which is why I am leaning towards the 5524 as the premium on the 5164 is very high right now

I also have seen the 5524 every now and then listed with the Tiffany stamp, not for a while but I feel like they pop up here and there. What are your thoughts on the T stamp version? I feel like it might hold a little more “rarity” down the line. Basically what I am asking is what would you do between a new 5524G, new/slightly worn 5164A or a 5524G Tiffany Slightly Worn if available

Thanks for taking the time to read!
raychrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2021, 10:15 AM   #2
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
It seems in all scenarios you prefer the 5524 over the 5164, so the classic answer is purchase the watch you want the most. Resale value while it does carry weight (or partial weight) in a decision is probably the least of your worries. The 5524 is a great watch. Go for it.

As for "the deal". My answer is two parts. If you are planning on purchasing more Pateks in the future and can establish a relationship with your Patek AD, I say it's worth considering. Who knows, the next piece you want might be a bit more sought after so it's always good to have a strong relationship. However, if you aren't considering another Patek anytime soon I would look upon a grey dealer for the best possible deal.

On the Tiff dial, market wise it is popular and thus commands a stronger value. Only you can determine whether that's something you want on the dial. I would not pay grey prices for them unless they are close enough to MSRP. In fact, you might want to consider calling a Tiffany Patek AD. You might be able to secure one new.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 03:48 PM   #3
jumpingjackflash
2024 Pledge Member

Personally, a Tiffany stamp is not worth the premium extra. However, If I was able to find one for about same money to a non-tiffany stamp, then why not.
jumpingjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote