The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 15 May 2014, 08:55 AM   #1
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
In praise of a "Beater" Seamaster 2225.80

I wonder if I'm alone in my thinking, but as I've gotten deeper and deeper into horology, I wonder if I have been too caught up in the thinking of only iconic watches with in-house or excellent movements. I've acquired a Panerai 121 with an El Primero movement, Bretiling Navitimer 01 LE, Speedmaster 9300, and AP Royal Oak 25860 Chronograph. I love these watches and enjoy wearing them. But I "needed" a watch that I could wear around the house, traveling, or in the pool/water without worrying. So my thoughts turn to a cheaper, durable, water resistant chronograph (I'm a chronograph-only nut) and I eventually bought a blue dialed Seamaster 2225.80 as my "beater."

So the first thing I noticed when I got it is that it was really a great-looking watch. The blue dial, red accents and overall looks/proportions look tailor made for my wrist. The wave pattern reminds me a bit of my AP which can look slightly different in different lighting. Yes it's a thick watch, but my Speedy and PAM have me conditioned and the watch is as comfortable as any I've worn.

Then there's the matter of the "lowly" ETA movement. Well, thing is that it's dead on accurate. Compared to my more expensive watches and my atomic clock, it's as good as any.

So I just wanted to give a "shout out" to a watch that to me seems better than advertised and stands in the shadows of the Speedmaster and it's Planet Ocean brothers. For anyone looking for a watch that take just about anything and look great while doing it, give the 2225.80 a serious look.

srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2014, 11:47 AM   #2
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
A great watch. Nice review.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2014, 12:05 PM   #3
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Very nice, Steve. Congrats
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2014, 01:38 PM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Nothing lowly about ETA movements - they give excellent performance.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Great watch, but your "beater" is 100% somebody else's grail. Rant over, beat away
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2014, 11:29 AM   #6
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presa canary View Post
Great watch, but your "beater" is 100% somebody else's grail. Rant over, beat away

I agree and one of my points was that it is easy to get caught up in the rat race of "haute horology" and miss out on really great watches. Just because it isn't an AP, Patek, VC or Rolex doesn't mean it isn't a great watch. I totally dismissed this watch in the past because of the ETA movement and because of the iconic nature of the Speedmaster line. But what I've found is that I get just as much enjoyment wearing this watch as my others costing three times as much (which are no more accurate either). So what started out as me getting a "beater" has led me to a greater appreciation of what a great watch really is. This is in no way a criticism of what someone can afford or what a "beater" vs "grail" is. And after minutes on my wrist, I've used the term "beater" endearingly.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2014, 08:58 AM   #7
278horn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
I share the same sentiments about my 2220.80. My two Submariners and Datejust rarely get worn.
278horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2014, 09:23 AM   #8
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6 Omega: a must have in a collection

Have two Omega SMP GMT watches, the Great White and a blue Co-ax. Accuracy was never an issue, ever. Would not call them my beater watches but they are what I wear when going to an area I am not familiar with or if it's my first time in a particular area. Both also routinely rotated with Rolex and other brands (6 of 12 are GMT models).
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2014, 09:25 AM   #9
rodrob59
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG DD 18238
Great choice, I've had mine since '98. I don't wear it as much anymore and am always amazed at the weight when I first put it on.

Old 24 May 2014, 10:36 AM   #10
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2014, 11:27 AM   #11
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Looking really good
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote