The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 June 2018, 09:33 PM   #3241
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post
Well this one only lasted a week in my possession but it was definitely a great one to drink tonight. Knowing that a few more were on their way acted as an instigator to consumption I guess.

I know that was a treat right there!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 03:19 AM   #3242
James K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
I know that was a treat right there!!!!

It sure was! Interestingly though I find that I prefer it just a tad bit colder than room temp. When it was room temp last night I felt that it was pretty overwhelming. A few degrees cooler and it reigned it back in just a tad. I was playing with the temp back and forth all night until it was all gone.

On a side note I've actually heard of that last one you posted from another friend locally. Another on my to but list.
James K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 05:48 AM   #3243
RHIII

Quote:
It sure was! Interestingly though I find that I prefer it just a tad bit colder than room temp. When it was room temp last night I felt that it was pretty overwhelming. A few degrees cooler and it reigned it back in just a tad. I was playing with the temp back and forth all night until it was all gone.

On a side note I've actually heard of that last one you posted from another friend locally. Another on my to but list.

I understand completely - 13s are still REALLY ‘tight’ - and for sure a slight chill will help control the tannins a bit — Hundred Acre is a BIG wine for sure — I enjoy opening some of my older ones — and they are killer — opened an 03 and an 05 not all that long ago.

I’d DEFINITELY recommend RC - it is a little gem that we always have in our cellar — and it has a lot of potential - at a super reasonable price.

Old 10 June 2018, 01:42 PM   #3244
James K
"TRF" Member

Opened the Mercury Head and a 2014 Hundred Acre Few and Far Between tonight, had it along with smoked steak and chicken. I haven't felt so happy and relaxed in almost a year. The Mercury head did take about 4 hours to decant to a drinkable state. I may buy another one in the future simply for the fact of holding onto it and waiting for 10+ years to open it. It definitely needed more time in the bottle but I could semi-taste it's potential to be something more than what it was. It was great today but I suspect it'll get much better with age. The 100 Acre, well, that bottle is so good I can drink it straight from the bottle, no decanting required, truly a magic juice in a glass container.
Old 13 June 2018, 11:20 AM   #3245
James K
"TRF" Member

Today's delivery, 3 out of the four are going with me to Barbados next week, can't decide which one to leave at home.

Old 13 June 2018, 11:49 AM   #3246
RHIII

Quote:
Today's delivery, 3 out of the four are going with me to Barbados next week, can't decide which one to leave at home.

Two of my favorite wines right there. Although I haven’t opened hardly any 13 Hundred Acre - actually majority of 13s stay in the cellar.

Of those (if it were me) I’d hang on to one of the 13s — those two Dominus will be WONDERFUL and will drink COMPLETELY different than the Hundred Acre. Also I’d drink the 08 first — the 09 will drink better. I’m sure you’ve had Dominus before — GREAT wine — much more Bordeaux-Esque. If you were to have two bottles in one sitting -Hundred Acre, then onto 08 Dominus. (This is what I’d probably do) and drink the 09 standalone.

Cheers my friend!!!

Old 13 June 2018, 04:35 PM   #3247
James K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Two of my favorite wines right there. Although I haven’t opened hardly any 13 Hundred Acre - actually majority of 13s stay in the cellar.

Of those (if it were me) I’d hang on to one of the 13s — those two Dominus will be WONDERFUL and will drink COMPLETELY different than the Hundred Acre. Also I’d drink the 08 first — the 09 will drink better. I’m sure you’ve had Dominus before — GREAT wine — much more Bordeaux-Esque. If you were to have two bottles in one sitting -Hundred Acre, then onto 08 Dominus. (This is what I’d probably do) and drink the 09 standalone.

Cheers my friend!!!

Sounds like a good plan, I'll probably do that. No plans on having more than one a night, although I may bring along some Duckhorn Cabernet that I've been holding onto for a while along with a Napanook. I'm definitely looking forward to the Dominus', I haven't had one since I opened one at the baseball game ironically two weeks ago. Got to love having access to stuff like that at Petco Park.

Skipping the wine on the eve of my dive nights, it doesn't turn out so well on those deeper dives but will enjoy them on the other nights.

Had a 13 Ark the other day, put a small tear of happiness in the Mrs. eye.
Old 13 June 2018, 09:57 PM   #3248
RHIII

Quote:
Sounds like a good plan, I'll probably do that. No plans on having more than one a night, although I may bring along some Duckhorn Cabernet that I've been holding onto for a while along with a Napanook. I'm definitely looking forward to the Dominus', I haven't had one since I opened one at the baseball game ironically two weeks ago. Got to love having access to stuff like that at Petco Park.

Skipping the wine on the eve of my dive nights, it doesn't turn out so well on those deeper dives but will enjoy them on the other nights.

Had a 13 Ark the other day, put a small tear of happiness in the Mrs. eye.

Awesome!! Have a great trip! Post some pics!

Old 14 June 2018, 06:37 AM   #3249
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Icon7 If you Like Champagne...

Roederer Cristal Brut Champagne 2008 (750ml)

Pre-Sell arrives late June
$238.98 /bottle

https://wineandcheeseplace.com/index...oduct_id=16959

*This is a pre-sell, with the wine arriving the last week of June
Subject to confirmation. Your card will not be charged until it arrives.

2008 Roederer Cristal Brut Champagne
The 2008 Cristal is a real head-turner. Powerful, ample and explosive in all of its dimensions, the 2008 takes hold of the sense and never lets up. There is a crystalline purity to the flavors that is simply remarkable. Although still a baby, the 2008 looks like it will soon take its place alongside the greatest Cristals. Today, it is breathtaking.

Rated 100/100 James Suckling
Rated 100/100 Wine Enthusiast
Rated 98+/100 Vinous

100 points James Suckling
Disgorged October 2016 and will be the first Cristal to be released ten years from harvest when it is offered in 2018. 35 parcels used from a possible 45 in this vintage. The assemblage is 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay. This is so fresh and tense and mineral with extremely exuberant chardonnay notes on the nose of white peach, lemon and yellow grapefruit, and hints of almost brambly sous bois aromas. The yeast characters are also super fresh, and there are subtle woody notes, with a hint of vanilla bean and light spices. The palate is super long, and very pure, powerful and focused. It drives deep and taut. Pinot Noir is a strong core and the Chardonnay sits at the edge offering lemon and white nectarine sorbet flavors. Staggeringly concentrated, yet the balance makes it seem airy and light. Acidity is perfectly positioned, and the power is intense and long. This is an ultra precise Cristal, finishing with a mere suggestion of savoriness and warmth to come. Impressive on release, this will be at its best drinking from 2025. (1/2018)

100 points Wine Enthusiast
This latest incarnation of the famous brand is a superb wine. It is on par with, maybe even better than, the already legendary 2002. Its balance is impeccable: Apple and citrus flavors working with the tight minerality to give a textured yet fruity wine. Produced from Roederer's own vineyards which are mainly biodynamic, the wine has its own intense purity and crispness. It has amazing potential and is likely to age for many years. Drink from 2020. (RV) (12/2017)

99 points John Gilman
This is not the only exceptional aspect of the 2008 Cristal, as this is one of the very, very few vintages of this iconic wine that has included a small percentage of vins clairs that have gone through malolactic fermentation, as Monsieur Lécaillon observed that sixteen percent of the blend in 2008 is composed of wines that went through malo. The results are magical, as this small part of the blend that has undergone malolactic fermentation seems to have rounded off the snappy acids of 2008 a bit and given the wine an unprecedented textural accessibility out of the blocks that was not found in a similarly racy vintage like 1996, which was tensile and hermetically sealed when first released. Twenty percent of the vins clairs for the 2008 Cristal were barrel-fermented and the wine was finished with a dosage of 7.5 grams per liter. The wine is flat out stunning, offering up a pure and youthfully complex bouquet of apple, lemon, warm brioche, stunningly complex, chalky minerality, a touch of orange zest, fresh almond and a floral topnote redolent of lemon blossoms and mimosa. On On the palate the wine is deep, fullbodied, complex and utterly seamless in its balance, with a great core, laser-like focus, utterly refined mousse and a very, very long, racy, complex and seamlessly balanced finish. This is a breathtakingly beautiful wine in the making! (5/2018)

98 points Vinous
The 2008 Cristal is a real head-turner. Powerful, ample and explosive in all of its dimensions, the 2008 takes hold of the sense and never lets up. There is a crystalline purity to the flavors that is simply remarkable. Although still a baby, the 2008 looks like it will soon take its place alongside the greatest Cristals. Today, it is breathtaking. (AG) 98+ (7/2017)

K&L Notes
The 2008 Cristal will be released in late June 2018. It is composed of 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay, all from organically farmed, estate vineyards in the mid slope "golden band" of the Mountain of Reims, Côte de Blancs and Grand Valley of the Marne. For the first time ever, the winemaking team at Roederer decided to do 20% malolactic fermentation due to the massive concentration and acidity of the wine. The wine is so packed and vivacious that they decided to release the 2009 ahead of it so as to give the 2008 the time it needed. This is special stuff, and Jean-Baptiste Lecaillon, cellar master of Roederer says it is the best wine he has made in thirty years at Roederer. He is not a man prone to hyperbole!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cristal-500x500.jpg (44.7 KB, 155 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 11:34 AM   #3250
RHIII

Dinner selection...HAGWE friends!!!

Old 16 June 2018, 11:39 AM   #3251
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Simply...The Wine Thread

TGIF!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RB.jpg (31.1 KB, 145 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Old 16 June 2018, 11:42 AM   #3252
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
TGIF!

That dog is a connoisseur Larry!!!

Have a great weekend my friend!!!

Old 16 June 2018, 01:19 PM   #3253
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That dog is a connoisseur Larry!!!

Have a great weekend my friend!!!

Ha! She like Chardonnay! Have a Great Weekend too...

Old 18 June 2018, 02:29 AM   #3254
wantonebad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Glorious glorious wine!! Just no substitute for old world mastery of land and vintage. I may never get over this bottle, NEVER!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rav10.jpg (80.8 KB, 129 views)
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 06:22 AM   #3255
RHIII

Father’s Day selection. Pulled an oldie of one of my favorites. It’s a Kayli Morgan

Old 18 June 2018, 06:57 AM   #3256
James K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Father’s Day selection. Pulled an oldie of one of my favorites. It’s a Kayli Morgan

Nice one! After I get back I'll try to get some of the older ones as I find them. For now I'm having a lot of joy with the Dominus.
Old 18 June 2018, 07:08 AM   #3257
RHIII

Quote:
Nice one! After I get back I'll try to get some of the older ones as I find them. For now I'm having a lot of joy with the Dominus.

hope the trip is going well!

Dominus is a phenomenal wine!

Old 18 June 2018, 07:09 AM   #3258
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Glorious glorious wine!! Just no substitute for old world mastery of land and vintage. I may never get over this bottle, NEVER!!!!

Excellent right there my friend!!! I can understand your feelings about this one 100%

Old 18 June 2018, 08:30 AM   #3259
James K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
hope the trip is going well!

Dominus is a phenomenal wine!

We are leaving tonight so I still have time to pack another bottle! Only problem is duty after so many is 50% of the purchase price, not so sure I want to deal with that.
Old 18 June 2018, 09:14 AM   #3260
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Quote:

I’m sure that was good Roger!

I went with Chalk Hill today. Getting ready for a nice ribeye.

teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 09:36 AM   #3261
RHIII

Quote:
We are leaving tonight so I still have time to pack another bottle! Only problem is duty after so many is 50% of the purchase price, not so sure I want to deal with that.

Have a great trip!

Old 18 June 2018, 09:36 AM   #3262
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
I’m sure that was good Roger!

I went with Chalk Hill today. Getting ready for a nice ribeye.

Definitely tasty.

Enjoy my friend!!

Old 20 June 2018, 11:18 AM   #3263
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Read while on plane. Always good stuff they write

Nice to see Mexico growing their wine business.

Sent from the beach using iPhone
Old 20 June 2018, 11:14 PM   #3264
kellyon
Banned

good article. Thanks!
kellyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 10:00 AM   #3265
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Simply...The Wine Thread

So, I entered my 2016 Zinuguese Port in 3 competitions this year and the score card doesn’t look too bad for the course.

This Port is a blend. 52% Zinfandel, 17.5% Tinta Cao, 17.5% Touriga, 8.8% Sousao and 4.2% Alvarelhao.

California State Fair- Silver Medal
California Mid-State Fair- Gold Medal
Orange County Fair- Gold Medal
(Still waiting on the other ribbons to arrive)

Old 23 June 2018, 05:20 PM   #3266
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats! How do I get a bottle?

Old 24 June 2018, 10:17 AM   #3267
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Having this with some Prime ribeye caps from Costco tonight. Happy weekend all!

teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 03:02 PM   #3268
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Simply...The Wine Thread

Rather Tasty for the Price...

2016 Smith & Hook Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaker Notes
Vibrant aromas of dark fruit and black currant with hints of sweet spice and toasty oak. Full bodied and full of flavor with a round viscous mouthfeel backed with concentrated tannic structure carry through to a smooth finish.
The robust flavors of this wine are a great complement to roasted duck breast, beef tenderloin or short ribs.

Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
WW|91

Nicely done, the 2016 Smith & Hook Cabernet Sauvignon has deftly combined ripe fruit and oak nuances into a combo-pack of excellent aromas and flavors. The wine's balance sets it apart from many others producers who often overpower their fruit with too much wood. Pair this wine with grilled pork wrapped in smoky bacon strips. (Tasted: January 17, 2018, San Francisco, CA USA)

Wine Enthusiast
WE|90

Always one of the more compelling bottlings for the price each year, this vintage shows deep plum, black cherry and vanilla on the welcoming nose. The mouthfeel is impressively thick and the firm texture quite gravelly, carrying flavors of black fruit, roast beef and black pepper. Editors' Choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&H.jpg (90.8 KB, 60 views)

Old 24 June 2018, 03:53 PM   #3269
woodsworth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
Having this with some Prime ribeye caps from Costco tonight. Happy weekend all!

Fantastic wine :> We have a few kicking around here waiting to be enjoyed
woodsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 07:24 AM   #3270
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Our contribution to dinner tonight. Looking forward to trying to AH