The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 5 August 2017, 01:33 AM   #61
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

I heard from an AD that they submitted a list to Patek after the exhibition but have not heard back on quantities. They were told a few weeks, so they expect a count any day now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 01:43 AM   #62
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmichNJ View Post
I heard from an AD that they submitted a list to Patek after the exhibition but have not heard back on quantities. They were told a few weeks, so they expect a count any day now.

This isn't an application piece. There is no list to be submitted. Each dealer is allocated a specific amount period.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 02:18 AM   #63
Updyke
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5522
AD said this is an application piece

Went to Cipriani, saw the piece, got my name on the list, but my AD said that this IS an application piece and they sent the list to Patek. Patek, not the AD's, chooses who will get the watches.
Updyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 02:27 AM   #64
blakeegan
Banned

Watch: 5905P, 5711
My understanding is some ADs will not see any of these unless they have sold X number of PPs - higher volume dealers will get more allocation than midsize, small dealers likely get none.

But ADs did submit a request for what their customers who were present at the exhibition requested.

This, along with destroying the shipping boxes and unsealing all new watches, seems like they're really getting serious about stopping desirable pieces from getting flipped brand new.
blakeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 03:20 AM   #65
Greenp
"TRF" Member

I thought the point of a SS lower priced Patek was to get younger people interested in the brand. First, it's limited to 600 pieces and now it's an application piece. I guess Patek knows what its doing.
Greenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 03:26 AM   #66
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Updyke View Post
Went to Cipriani, saw the piece, got my name on the list, but my AD said that this IS an application piece and they sent the list to Patek. Patek, not the AD's, chooses who will get the watches.

Your AD is wrong. It's an allocation piece.

HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 03:34 AM   #67
martinr
"TRF" Member

Have "young people" ever been interested in Patek? Maybe a few but going back to the 50's, 60's & 70's was there ever anything for 20-30 year olds? How could they afford it even if there was a watch they wanted? Today, the so called young people watches, the Aquanaut and Nautilus are almost impossible to find and are expensive. It's not really a brand for young people, too classic and not innovative enough. If I was 35 I'd buy a Mille or an AP before I'd buy a Patek.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 04:22 AM   #68
Updyke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
Your AD is wrong. It's an allocation piece.

Here is my understanding from two AD's and Patek in New York:

The AD does not make the choice of recipients. Patek and HSWA/Larry Pettinelli, President of Patek Philippe NA choose who receives the 5522. That makes it an application piece. The watches are not just allocated to the AD's. The new owners are selected by the list submitted by the AD and then the watches will be sent to the AD's. If a certain allocation was sent to the AD's for the AD to decide, then it would be an allocation piece.

Certainly your ad will get a certain number of pieces, or "allocation", but only according to the people Patek approves or selects. That is why it is an application piece. I can only hope to be one of the lucky persons that Patek may choose, due to my name on the list, my multiple purchase of Pateks, and a certain amount of good fortune

HorologyK, have you requested one from your AD? If so, I wish you the best of luck
Old 5 August 2017, 04:44 AM   #69
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
When will dealers see the 5522A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Have "young people" ever been interested in Patek? Maybe a few but going back to the 50's, 60's & 70's was there ever anything for 20-30 year olds? How could they afford it even if there was a watch they wanted? Today, the so called young people watches, the Aquanaut and Nautilus are almost impossible to find and are expensive. It's not really a brand for young people, too classic and not innovative enough. If I was 35 I'd buy a Mille or an AP before I'd buy a Patek.

There's a few of us Martin 29 here

I will say Rolex and TRF led me to discover Patek and was it not for the aquanaut and 5711 I would likely have never taken an interest in the brand.

That's not to say I don't love the more expensive comps and such but the transition from Rolex to Patek needs to be as smooth as possible if Patek wants to continue to capture some of the valuable Rolex client pool
Old 5 August 2017, 04:45 AM   #70
balmain2323
"TRF" Member

32 here
balmain2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 05:01 AM   #71
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
There's a few of us Martin 29 here

I will say Rolex and TRF led me to discover Patek and was it not for the aquanaut and 5711 I would likely have never taken an interest in the brand.

That's not to say I don't love the more expensive comps and such but the transition from Rolex to Patek needs to be as smooth as possible if Patek wants to continue to capture some of the valuable Rolex client pool
31 here. TRF into'd me as well. Aqua was the first Patek I sought after.
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 05:07 AM   #72
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Updyke View Post
Here is my understanding from two AD's and Patek in New York:

The AD does not make the choice of recipients. Patek and HSWA/Larry Pettinelli, President of Patek Philippe NA choose who receives the 5522. That makes it an application piece. The watches are not just allocated to the AD's. The new owners are selected by the list submitted by the AD and then the watches will be sent to the AD's. If a certain allocation was sent to the AD's for the AD to decide, then it would be an allocation piece.

Certainly your ad will get a certain number of pieces, or "allocation", but only according to the people Patek approves or selects. That is why it is an application piece. I can only hope to be one of the lucky persons that Patek may choose, due to my name on the list, my multiple purchase of Pateks, and a certain amount of good fortune

HorologyK, have you requested one from your AD? If so, I wish you the best of luck
100% correct

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 01:33 PM   #73
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
100% correct
Yep, this is why I sent Michael an email :D
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 07:43 AM   #74
balmain2323
"TRF" Member

When will these ship? I would think end of the Month.
balmain2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 07:54 AM   #75
Socal to az
Banned

Spoke to my AD today. No news on these watches at all. Still a ways away.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 11:23 AM   #76
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

If this piece is indeed an "application piece" as some members mentioned above, does it make sense to be on a wait list at several ADs?

If Patek USA/HSWA receives all the name submissions from the 90+ US ADs and sort through the names and approve the application for individual collectors, I suppose the watch will come with the collector's name pre-printed on the certificate.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 12:35 PM   #77
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
If this piece is indeed an "application piece" as some members mentioned above, does it make sense to be on a wait list at several ADs?

If Patek USA/HSWA receives all the name submissions from the 90+ US ADs and sort through the names and approve the application for individual collectors, I suppose the watch will come with the collector's name pre-printed on the certificate.
I was wondering the same thing about being on multiple lists. I know when you get the magazine etc you have a customer number for logging in to your account so maybe Patek keeps track of customers with this number and when they buy and register a new watch. Who knows really? I'm kind of surprised the AD isn't the one making the decision, I assumed they were getting a certain amount allocated and would decide which customer gets one.
Old 7 August 2017, 05:44 AM   #78
codecow
"TRF" Member

I think the buyer for each AD will come with a client list. For an application piece they know what other watches you have obviously because your AD knows what you bought from them. I'd expect that at a minimum you'd need to have bought at least one piece from the AD unless you're buying one that someone backed out on.
Old 7 August 2017, 12:54 PM   #79
KarlS
Banned

My guess is that HSWA is not nearly as rigid in its allocation process as say the U.K. We saw that with the 40th. What will probably happen is the AD will submit names to HSWA who will say who is eligible and who isn't. They will then allocate a certain number of pieces per AD based on the submissions and turnover etc based on the understanding that the papers will only be issued by HSWA to the names submitted. The AD will be able to prioritize his names amongst the number of pieces. Just a guess.
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 01:30 PM   #80
martinr
"TRF" Member

As long as I get one........
Old 7 August 2017, 01:32 PM   #81
codecow
"TRF" Member

Karl nailed it.
Old 7 August 2017, 01:40 PM   #82
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Karl nailed it.
It makes sense to do it this way but the other guy in this thread said he knows that Patek and Larry P. decide. Based on what is what I wonder about. How would Patek and Larry P. have info on 600 customers.
Old 7 August 2017, 01:43 PM   #83
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

So you guys think once HSWA makes their judgements the ADs will be shipped the entire allotment at once?
Old 7 August 2017, 02:15 PM   #84
Socal to az
Banned

So much interest for such an "ugly and plain" watch. ;). Lol
Old 7 August 2017, 02:20 PM   #85
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
It makes sense to do it this way but the other guy in this thread said he knows that Patek and Larry P. decide. Based on what is what I wonder about. How would Patek and Larry P. have info on 600 customers.
Martin, I can only comment from a UK perspectibe having gone through the process on certain watches. They definately allocate to the individual and not to the AD. If they don't know you or your collection or your intent on ownership, they will not allocate. I think there have been some examples here on TRF where "big hitters" despite throwing cash at the watches dont get allocations of LE's. At my AD (on the 5650) both myself and another individual were cleared by Rhone for the allocation. They didnt mind if either of us were the recipient and would issue papers to either of us. As I have my eye on another piece it was an easy call for me to drop out and thus the AD allocated to the other party. If both of us dropped out then Rhone would reallocate to another AD where perhaps they had more approved names but fewer pieces allocated. In fact some AD's work together. If one AD has too many cleared names but not enough pieces allocated he may very well pass on one of his names to another dealer who perhaps doesnt have a cleared name. That way everyone wins....
Old 7 August 2017, 02:21 PM   #86
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
I never called this watch ugly or plain and the same goes for the 5524!

I think it's a ringer.

(I know you aren't directing it towards me, just trying to get my post count up )
Old 7 August 2017, 02:25 PM   #87
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I never called this watch ugly or plain and the same goes for the 5524!

I think it's a ringer.

(I know you aren't directing it towards me, just trying to get my post count up )
Not directed at anyone specific. Just a general comment.
Old 7 August 2017, 02:26 PM   #88
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
Forwading comment to HSWA just in case you were hoping for allocation!!! 1 more off the list, 10543 to go!!
Old 7 August 2017, 02:26 PM   #89
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Forwading comment to HSWA just in case you were hoping for allocation!!! 1 more off the list, 10543 to go!!
I take it back!! Noooooooo!!!
Old 7 August 2017, 10:48 PM   #90
Updyke
"TRF" Member

Lets say an AD sends the list to HSWA of their clients who want a 5522.

From what I recall, HSWA selects the final recipients based on several considerations: 1) Have they previously purchased a Patek from this AD?, 2) Did they make an effort to come to the Watch Exhibition in NY?, 3) Possible recommendations from the AD, 4) Does Larry or district rep. from HSWC (ours is Jim Cullen) know or have a relationship with the customer? 5) How much money has the customer spent with Patek?

There are possible other considerations. Maybe luck? Or prayers? Number in a hat? Any other guess?