The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2018, 06:04 AM   #1
damoore
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060,SD, Pelagos
AD SS Sports inventory depleted.

Thought I’d add to the chorus of those who have reported low to zero inventory on SS sport models. I’ve purchased a handful (at least two!) of watches from my go to AD in the Midwest. They’re a large Rolex seller and usually have a great inventory of their entire line in stock. I’ve never had a problem buying what I wanted - SD4 - for example when new.

Stopped in this afternoon to check out the BBB and a couple of pre-owned 5 digit Polar Exp II’s. Last time I was there was last April when I purchased my Exp I - most recent version - which btw never leaves my wrist.

I was shocked to see no SS sport watches. Zilch. Zero. Not one. No subs, explorers, Gmt’s, seadwellers or anything. Plenty of special metal and other stock. They only rec’d 4 43mm seadwellers in 2017 and have a waiting list of 25+.

Also they confirmed all stickers must be removed at the store. He did tell me he wouldn’t do that for my purchases but will for those they’re not usual customers for fear of flipping. If a watch is purchased on the internet with stickers and it’s from the store Rolex has stated they will pull their right to sell Rolex.

My sales guy was bummmed because his income is suffering due to no stock. They’re hoping things change after Basel.

Glad I scored my Explorer when I did. So point of this topic is if you have a chance to buy an in stock SS sport watch buy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
damoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 06:06 AM   #2
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I was at the bellagio in Vegas last night. Super impressive collection of anything you can think of EXCEPT ss professional!! Not a single one!
Old 18 February 2018, 06:13 AM   #3
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Sounds just like the UK lol
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 06:27 AM   #4
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

Same for Amsterdam Schiphol Airport where I pass by almost weekly.

1 Watch guy
NLYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 06:48 AM   #5
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
The AD's I visit in Houston are not quite this depleted, but they are close. I think there's a waiting list for anything SS right now and when the AD's get them they call the list and the watch never sees the inside of the case.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 06:54 AM   #6
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

I saw a lone ss YMII at Heathrow T5 this week. No other ss sport watches.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 06:56 AM   #7
wmcjhi
"TRF" Member

Seems to be mostly a matter of luck and persistence. I called around to local ADs yesterday and found 2 no-date subs, 2 James Cameron DSSDs, an all black GMTii, a BLNR, and an SD43. Bought the SD43. Stock is thin, no doubt, but perhaps a little more accessible than some seem to think. None of those except the black GMT were in the case.
wmcjhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 06:56 AM   #8
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
I saw a lone ss YMII at Heathrow T5 this week. No other ss sport watches.
The Costco I go to has exactly the same Rolex SS inventory!
Old 18 February 2018, 06:58 AM   #9
scoobnoob1103
"TRF" Member

Ive visited a total of 15 ADs while on vacation here in Europe..4 in London, 1 in Brussels, 1 in Amsterdam, 3 in Geneva, and 6 in Paris..not including the the airport ADs when I come across them..NADA. The expIIs and milgausses seem to be readily available, and the occasional YM40 but nothing else. Best inventory Ive seen thus far is here in Paris I came across an AD with a TT daytona and all 3 dial colors of the skydweller in TT
scoobnoob1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 06:59 AM   #10
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damoore View Post

...They only rec’d 4 43mm seadwellers in 2017 and have a waiting list of 25+. ..
My local and other ADs that I talked to told me they only got a few SD43 in 2017 too, not more than the SS Daytona. That's not good
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 07:00 AM   #11
JetJok737
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
I was at the bellagio in Vegas last night. Super impressive collection of anything you can think of EXCEPT ss professional!! Not a single one!
I just purchased a black dial explorer from an AD at the Wynn in Vegas, they have 1 more black dial left but that’s it. They told me all stickers have to come off of all SS models per Rolex.
JetJok737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 07:23 AM   #12
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Let's be honest here. The situation sucks. Yes, there are ADs out there that have some but overall I don't think there's ever been anything like this current situation. You could always find at least multiple Sub Dates at any AD at any time. When ADs don't have even one Sub Date something is obviously off.

I don't buy the speculation that it's because they're transitioning to new movements. Wouldn't they want to get rid of as many 3135s as they could? Also how come there are no problems buying Datejust 36s? Right before the DaytonaC was released, the 520s were available and not hard to buy. There wasn't a Daytona shortage until they cut the 520 production. It's also not affecting a single model. Every SS model is in short supply even the ones that aren't Subs, GMTs or Daytonas.

I honestly think the new Rolex CEO most likely wants to make the brand more exclusive. I don't think there are just a whole lot of new luxury watch buyers driving demand either. It's just not rational that all of a sudden, millions of more people want and have the means to buy these watches especially at high prices than ever before.

To conclude, I can't wait until we get to March 22nd to finally put all of the speculation to rest and know what supply will be like going forward. Either supply will go back to normal or production of steel sports will continue to be held back. As the situation stands they are hurting their ADs and customers willing to pay retail. Only the GM and people who already own watches benefit from this situation. Maybe that's the whole point behind this: to eliminate discounts once and for all. When you have a $9,050 Hulk selling for $10-12k on average, retail seems like a bargain.
Old 18 February 2018, 07:53 AM   #13
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
The Costco I go to has exactly the same Rolex SS inventory!
At least you can get a hotdog and soda at Costco!
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 07:58 AM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I have a cousin who met a guy whose brother once saw a SS Rolex in an ADs...
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 07:58 AM   #15
T-Bag
"TRF" Member

I went to the only AD here in Tucson and they seem demoralized about the situation
T-Bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 08:12 AM   #16
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Just visited the local AD today and they don't have any of the desired watches but did have a ceramic no date sub, the discontinued sea dweller and some explorers. Plenty of DJ, DD's but they seem puzzled by the lack of professional watches. They too heard about Rolex cutting back on the professional line but they don't know why.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 08:16 AM   #17
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post

I honestly think the new Rolex CEO most likely wants to make the brand more exclusive.
By holding back sports models?

That seems to only hurt ADs and AD customers. Greys make a killing, though. Instead Rolex could just institute big price increases.

Maybe Rolex is just out of touch and wants to give up the sports line altogether? Rolex might have aspirations to be a Patek Philippe.

I've read that at this time of year, SS sports Rolexes are always scarce. Do you fellas remember this happening last year?
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 08:22 AM   #18
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
He was lying.

Old 18 February 2018, 08:36 AM   #19
Mrcoach32
"TRF" Member

Current situation at an AD near my home
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 439DD38C-C07A-4F82-BA00-B29130A39257.jpeg (119.3 KB, 1313 views)
File Type: jpeg C334A472-74F3-4A2D-999E-DBFF6C6547C2.jpeg (96.0 KB, 1310 views)
Rolex 116610LN, Rolex 116710BLNR, Rolex 116610LV, Rolex 126600, Panerai PAM01320, Omega Planet Ocean 232.90.42.21.03.001, Omega Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005, Omega Seamaster 300M 2531.80.00, Tudor Pelagos LHD 25610TNL, Seiko SBDC007, Casio G-Shock GSTS130BC-1A
Mrcoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 09:17 AM   #20
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
By holding back sports models?

That seems to only hurt ADs and AD customers. Greys make a killing, though. Instead Rolex could just institute big price increases.

Maybe Rolex is just out of touch and wants to give up the sports line altogether? Rolex might have aspirations to be a Patek Philippe.

I've read that at this time of year, SS sports Rolexes are always scarce. Do you fellas remember this happening last year?
No. I went in for a Daytona and was asked if I wanted a Hulk. Last year around this time things were pretty normal. Maybe they just want to sell more Datejusts. ADs will usually try to sell non-WIS a Datejust unless they're looking for PM watches. I've seen this happen over and over. Not everyone who goes to buy a Rolex is familiar with the whole lineup and most don't even know what they want.

Hurting the ADs is where I question my logic. Rolex doesn't have to answer to anyone really but they will piss off boutiques if they have no in demand product to sell.
Old 18 February 2018, 09:21 AM   #21
REALROLEXAD
"TRF" Member

Inventories are being replenished on a slow and steady pace.
This is happening all throughout the US.
I’m beginning to think that the chain store Rolex ADs like B.B. are being short shipped.
And, we never received “the letter”.
REALROLEXAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 09:43 AM   #22
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
Heading to Vegas next week and will be staying at the Wynn. I’m expecting no SS stock of course in any of the Vegas ADs including Wynn. Am on the hunt for a Hulk so maybe Lady Luck will be on my side!?
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 09:44 AM   #23
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALROLEXAD View Post
Inventories are being replenished on a slow and steady pace.
This is happening all throughout the US.
I’m beginning to think that the chain store Rolex ADs like B.B. are being short shipped.
And, we never received “the letter”.
Interesting. Maybe this "letter" is just designated for certain markets in the U.S
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 10:08 AM   #24
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I hope he took a picture and framed it!!! Because in a few years that picture will be worth muchos £££££

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 10:12 AM   #25
remrk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Just picked up my BLNR at the AD and they took the stickers off for me per Rolex they said. They didn’t have much SS models too. Only a couple Milgauss’ and an Explorer I and II.
remrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 10:21 AM   #26
JetJok737
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmizzou View Post
Heading to Vegas next week and will be staying at the Wynn. I’m expecting no SS stock of course in any of the Vegas ADs including Wynn. Am on the hunt for a Hulk so maybe Lady Luck will be on my side!?
Wynn Rolex has 1 black face explorer ll, I purchased the other one!😃
JetJok737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 02:35 PM   #27
ttomczak
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
My local AD (FINKS) has no SS professional models, or a time frame for getting any, thankfully a trusted seller had a close to NIB one.

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 02:49 PM   #28
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I was at a Rolex "boutique" today and they had two Explorer IIs (one in each color) and a Air King. I typically only see Explorer IIs at dealers these days.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 03:08 PM   #29
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Let them eat Datejusts!
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 03:26 PM   #30
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
Maybe they just want to sell more Datejusts.
That's a very plausible explanation. All the ADs I've visited have a mountain of Datejusts. For many people, Rolex means Datejusts and Daydates.

This could be a way Rolex is "helping" the ADs.
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote