The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 26 April 2018, 03:11 PM   #31
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
Hacienda beach club is where we are staying through Cabo platinum group. So I guess that isn’t a resort. Anyone know of that place/ area?
Old 26 April 2018, 04:02 PM   #32
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Do not bring it. I've gone multiple times and have seen plenty of sketchy stuff (especially if you're going to be out late at bars). It's just not worth the risk.

Stay safe and have fun!
Old 26 April 2018, 04:10 PM   #33
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Kidnapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad362wiley View Post
No. I wouldn’t. Had students at my school get kidnapped there this year and another student was killed. Not worth
Did the parents get kidnapped student back?
Old 26 April 2018, 04:21 PM   #34
supersam80
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 26331ST
No, not safe. Too many Americans!!

:)

My wife and I got married there. I didn't feel unsafe, Cabo kinda feels like the American version of what Bali is to us Australians. I wouldn't wear an expensive watch in Bali, why tempt fate.
Old 26 April 2018, 04:38 PM   #35
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

At least you'll get to keep your arm.
Old 26 April 2018, 04:52 PM   #36
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Seems fairly safe as I've been doing research but not wearing a flashy piece. SD43 is under the radarish ha. I really do think it would be fine in cabo
Old 26 April 2018, 05:06 PM   #37
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
You will be fine at any resort in Cabo. I’ve been going there for many years and am returning May 10 for the wife’s birthday. I’ve never had any problems there. Granted I’m Mexican and speak fluent Spanish but Cabo is 100% tourist driven. If it wasn’t for tourists, Cabo wouldn’t exist. Law enforcement knows this so they are pretty diligent about keeping us safe. I also think the cartel gets paid by the resorts to leave the area alone. Having said all that, I wouldn’t wear my YG Sky Dweller or my Mr. T starter kit while I was down there. I think you would be fine wearing your SD43. Like many here said, just be aware of your surroundings. Be polite and don’t stray outside of the tourist areas.

Viva Mexico
Old 26 April 2018, 06:48 PM   #38
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins7 View Post
I just wanted to take my sd43 and have some memories with it. Sad that I am forced some what not to wear it due to bad bad people lol.
Well if you bring it this time, you'll find out first hand whether or not it is safe to travel there with a Rolex. I wear my watches in cabo, given the time I am in the resort. Usually keep it in the room safe if I'm venturing into the streets.

Either way, Mexico has had some unexpected turbulence recently with safety issues. Be safe out there.
Old 26 April 2018, 08:19 PM   #39
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

Purchase the cheapest watch you can afford and wear that, don't wear any expensive items of jewellery EG rings and necklaces, only take out a small amount of money and be very vigilant of those around you.
Old 26 April 2018, 08:42 PM   #40
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
I've been told by a few friends that Cabo is really dangerous right now but, I am going here for a short trip over the weekend. Is it smart to not bring anything expensive in terms of jewelry like watches and wedding bands etc? This is my first time going and hearing this made me a bit nervous.
Why would you travel there if it is not safe?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 26 April 2018, 09:30 PM   #41
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
My cousin has lived there for over 35 years. Wears a gold Rolex and drives a Mercedes Benz. She herself has never had a problem. She raised her children there and no problem there.
Old 26 April 2018, 09:47 PM   #42
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Like everywhere in the world, situational awareness is key. I was in Mexico (Isla Mujeres) recently with my dblue and didn’t have any problems. However I did notice people wrist checking me, so I was always at the ready. This of course was off resort in residential areas where tourists usually aren’t around. Mexico is changing, and not for the better.
Old 26 April 2018, 11:14 PM   #43
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I love travelling to Mexico and I have forever felt safe going there. This year was the exception in Cabo. I didn't see anything sketchy or out of place but having lived in some pretty rough and sketchy places you just know when the atmosphere is heavy.

Quite frankly my personal situation doesn't help ! A Colombo-American with a few dollars isn't exactly a plus anywhere there is some kind of drug route territorial dispute.

I'm always the first to say that if you're too afraid to wear it, sell it, but on this one, I say leave it at home.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 26 April 2018, 11:43 PM   #44
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
It’s better to be safe than sorry when you have a doubt. I may not worry, but if my children or wife is with me, I am more cautious.
Old 26 April 2018, 11:46 PM   #45
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Why would you travel there if it is not safe?

Read the rest of the responses, that was already covered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 April 2018, 11:58 PM   #46
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Another thing is corrupt police, The "on-site" fine may be your watch!
Old 27 April 2018, 01:01 AM   #47
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
The son of a friend of mine went to Cabo for Spring Break last year and he and his group were shaken down twice...once at a club in town at gunpoint, they let one guy go to get cash, the second was on a boat that took them out to the arch.

You live in L.A....save the airfare and go to Santa Barbara for the same amount of time, get a nicer hotel with the saving of the cost of the flights.
Old 27 April 2018, 01:07 AM   #48
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

lets stop the is it safe to take my watch to X threads.

Lets just rephrase it and say. "My watch is insured and i am tired of it. Insurance pays out more than i can sell it for. Think i might get robbed here?"

Pretty sure it still wouldn't get stolen, even if you were trying. Statistics says its improbable. Planes crash occasionally too yet everyone is flying to these locations.

99% of the threads where someone gets robbed, its at 3am and the person is in a deserted area and probably have been drinking.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 27 April 2018, 01:14 AM   #49
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
lets stop the is it safe to take my watch to X threads.

Lets just rephrase it and say. "My watch is insured and i am tired of it. Insurance pays out more than i can sell it for. Think i might get robbed here?"

Pretty sure it still wouldn't get stolen, even if you were trying. Statistics says its improbable. Planes crash occasionally too yet everyone is flying to these locations.

99% of the threads where someone gets robbed, its at 3am and the person is in a deserted area and probably have been drinking.
okay fair enough haha. This had me laughing
Old 27 April 2018, 01:38 AM   #50
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Since you mentioned that it’s a bachelor party, I would only recommend a g shock or similar. No need to flash the Rolex imo.
Old 27 April 2018, 01:41 AM   #51
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Gotcha!

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 27 April 2018, 01:48 AM   #52
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That was already covered as well. Nice try though!

Old 27 April 2018, 02:01 AM   #53
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well then you are all set, have fun
Old 27 April 2018, 02:16 AM   #54
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well then you are all set, have fun

Okay, ciao! If you don’t want to chime in on useful information you don’t have to be a part of this topic? Not sure why it tickles your fancy to waste your time on being a internet troll or be a smart ass :). I will just ignore your responses here on out. Mama always said be useful not useless.

Old 27 April 2018, 02:26 AM   #55
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Okay, ciao! If you don’t want to chime in on useful information you don’t have to be a part of this topic? Not sure why it tickles your fancy to waste your time on being a internet troll or be a smart ass :). I will just ignore your responses here on out. Mama always said be useful not useless.

He just asked a question and you took things to a whole 'nother level. Just sayin...
Old 27 April 2018, 02:31 AM   #56
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c41006 View Post
He just asked a question and you took things to a whole 'nother level. Just sayin...

Sigh if you say so.

Old 27 April 2018, 06:16 AM   #57
SlowhandBuzz
"TRF" Member

I'm shocked to read how rough Cabo appears to have gotten from all these warnings. I honeymooned there about 4.5 years ago and have a great time. We stayed at a nice resort in the corridor and ventured out into San Jose and San Lucas with no issues. You the constant street hustle, but at no time did we feel unsafe. Granted, we weren't out a lot after dark outside of the resort.
Old 27 April 2018, 06:49 AM   #58
Daveh3196
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowhandBuzz View Post
I'm shocked to read how rough Cabo appears to have gotten from all these warnings. I honeymooned there about 4.5 years ago and have a great time. We stayed at a nice resort in the corridor and ventured out into San Jose and San Lucas with no issues. You the constant street hustle, but at no time did we feel unsafe. Granted, we weren't out a lot after dark outside of the resort.

Agreed. We were there about the same time and 2 years prior to that. Never felt unsafe even when walking back to our hotel in the evening which was a 15-20 minute walk from the marina area. A few of our favorite restaurants were off the beaten path and again never felt anything but safe. Hope these comments are the result of just a few bad experiences.

Old 27 April 2018, 09:46 AM   #59
Tonyfsu21
Banned

Quote:

There’s tons of jerks crawling out of their holes on this forum lately and offering nothing more then snotty answers to a legit question! Crawl back in your holes, losers.
Old 27 April 2018, 02:19 PM   #60
520Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, LV,GMT II Pep
Just spent a week in Cabo with my wife and kids (11, 14) and our friends. We stayed at the palmilla villas. Very nice saw lots of nice watches at the beach and pool. We were not out late and ate at nice restaurants etc. never felt un safe. There are more shootings in the US than in Cabo (IMHO). there was a shooting last year at the beach near where we were. Likely a drug hit and isolated. I think your SD will be fine but don’t be out at 2am drunk somewhere.
Closed Thread