The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 27 April 2018, 08:35 PM   #61
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyfsu21 View Post
There’s tons of jerks crawling out of their holes on this forum lately and offering nothing more then snotty answers to a legit question! Crawl back in your holes, losers.
That's a little harsh. How about you rein in the hostility yourself.
Old 27 April 2018, 10:42 PM   #62
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Why would you travel there if it is not safe?
Well, to be fair, a lot of people would say that NYC or London, or Rome, are not safe.

In fact, I know of people that say Aruba is not safe because of something that happened two decades ago.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 28 April 2018, 12:31 AM   #63
MrTwi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins7 View Post
I've been told by a few friends that Cabo is really dangerous right now but
Six bodies hung from bridges near Mexico's Los Cabos tourist resort

Violent crime has spiked in Baja California, particularly around the once peaceful resort of Los Cabos

Los Cabos is no longer a haven from Mexico's bloodshed

"a group of men toting automatic weapons stormed onto a crowded beach. By the time the attackers fled, three men lay dead beneath a grove of palm trees"

Sounds charming for a vacation.
Old 28 April 2018, 05:27 AM   #64
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Well, to be fair, a lot of people would say that NYC or London, or Rome, are not safe.

In fact, I know of people that say Aruba is not safe because of something that happened two decades ago.
no one googles their own neighborhood but if you are going somewhere unfamiliar you check out all the "news" and of course its all the scary and sensationalized stories as that is what sells in the news.

If you think anywhere is unsafe you can find data to support your pre conceived notion. I live in London and would walk anywhere, anytime, and without a second thought. If i didn't live here already maybe it would make me nervous.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 28 April 2018, 05:56 AM   #65
MrTwi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
no one googles their own neighborhood
Police departments put crime reports online all the time now. Some do it on FB. They are easy to find.

How many cities have 6 bodies hanging from bridges or three armed men killing people on the beach?
Old 28 April 2018, 06:34 AM   #66
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwi View Post
Police departments put crime reports online all the time now. Some do it on FB. They are easy to find.

How many cities have 6 bodies hanging from bridges or three armed men killing people on the beach?
you missed the point entirely. Where are you from? im sure there is some violent stuff that has happened near you.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 28 April 2018, 06:47 AM   #67
MrTwi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you missed the point entirely. Where are you from? im sure there is some violent stuff that has happened near you.
Of course there is, but not dead bodies hanging from bridges from drug crimes.

its supposed to be a vacation place to relax, have fun, enjoy the sun. London murder rate now higher than NYC?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...tys/480860002/

That's not the point. The point is it being a place you spend money to relax, chill, and NOT worry about crime. It might be someplace to GET AWAY from crime. That's the difference.
Old 28 April 2018, 09:25 AM   #68
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

its supposed to be a vacation place to relax, have fun, enjoy the sun. London murder rate now higher than NYC?

That's not the point. The point is it being a place you spend money to relax, chill, and NOT worry about crime. It might be someplace to GET AWAY from crime. That's the difference.
So many examples of violence in every major city in the world. I love Chicago, but all sorts of examples of violence in that city. I’d still take a long weekend and enjoy my time there.

Many examples of violence everywhere. We are a horrible species.

Yes, some terrible examples have happened recently in Mexico. I don’t know the statistics, but I’d guess and say it’s near to getting struck by lightening. I’ve been all over Mexico. Including Mexico City twice. Beautiful country. I love it there.

Old 28 April 2018, 10:00 AM   #69
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I think it's wise to be cautious wherever you travel. I personally have traveled countless times to Mexico without any issues, but just this year, I am aware of three acquaintances who were detained by local law enforcement in Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen and Cabo San Lucas. They were given no explanations as to what offenses were committed, but the price of being released was whatever jewelry and cash they happened to be carrying. Don't draw attention to yourself.
Old 28 April 2018, 10:01 AM   #70
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I think it's wise to be cautious wherever you travel. Just this year, I am aware of three acquaintances who were detained by local law enforcement in Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen and Cabo San Lucas. They were given no explanations as to what offenses were committed, but the price of being released was whatever jewelry and cash they happened to be carrying. Don't draw attention to yourself.
Great advice.

Old 28 April 2018, 05:13 PM   #71
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

for one month in history, yes. Its not a trend its one month. Year over year stats still show its safer... this year, last year, the year before that and so on. So if you were here in the month of February you are not wrong, but overall its incorrect. That was sort of my point of finding information to support a conclusion.

London's rate is rising though unfortunately and NYC has generally been declining which is a trend, but the total murders is still less.
Old 28 April 2018, 11:39 PM   #72
MrTwi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
for one month in history, yes. Its not a trend its one month. Year over year stats still show its safer..
Per Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...by_murder_rate Los Cabos is the murder capital of the world per capita. 5 of the top 8 were in ---- Mexico. Oh fun. Cabo San Lucas is part of Los Cabos. Then we have joeychitwood's comment below. Sure, sounds like a nice place to go for a fun, relaxing vacation in the sun.

Let's see. I want to take a nice, calm, relaxing vacation away from the rat race of the world. Let's go to the Murder Capital of the World (per capita per wiki). Sounds like fun? Oh, the other cities mentioned like NYC and London and Chicago? They don't even make the top 50. You'll hear Chicago mentioned a lot in US news because its a BIG city, big numbers, but per capita? They don't come close to make the top 10. Mexico and Brazil rule.

Oh Look! Acapulco is #3 in the world!

They can spin it any way they want and individuals can provide anecdotal information. "I had not problem". It makes no difference. The numbers speak for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I am aware of three acquaintances who were detained by local law enforcement in Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen and Cabo San Lucas. They were given no explanations as to what offenses were committed, but the price of being released was whatever jewelry and cash they happened to be carrying. .
Nice places. The price of freedom is everything on you. Yeah, lets go there.
Old 28 April 2018, 11:41 PM   #73
Bt122
Banned

Watch: Ok...Watching
The us does have bad places and all but the Us at least has media, law etc. yes run by a bunch of morons but parts of Mexico. Run by cartels. Not the same analogy.
Old 28 April 2018, 11:47 PM   #74
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Per Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...by_murder_rate Los Cabos is the murder capital of the world per capita. 5 of the top 8 were in ---- Mexico. Oh fun. Cabo San Lucas is part of Los Cabos. Then we have joeychitwood's comment below. Sure, sounds like a nice place to go for a fun, relaxing vacation in the sun.

Let's see. I want to take a nice, calm, relaxing vacation away from the rat race of the world. Let's go to the Murder Capital of the World (per capita per wiki). Sounds like fun? Oh, the other cities mentioned like NYC and London and Chicago? They don't even make the top 50. You'll hear Chicago mentioned a lot in US news because its a BIG city, big numbers, but per capita? They don't come close to make the top 10. Mexico and Brazil rule.

Oh Look! Acapulco is #3 in the world!

They can spin it any way they want and individuals can provide anecdotal information. "I had not problem". It makes no difference. The numbers speak for themselves.

Nice places. The price of freedom is everything on you. Yeah, lets go there.
You bring up solid points and research to back your thoughts. I respect that.

I personally just wish you weren’t so condescending while you did.

Old 28 April 2018, 11:58 PM   #75
MrTwi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
You bring up solid points and research to back your thoughts. I respect that.

I personally just wish you weren’t so condescending while you did.

Sorry, not my intention. The OP asked a reasonable question. IMO he knew the answer already.

"I've been told by a few friends that Cabo is really dangerous right now"

He asks it in a watch forum? Why not ask in a travel forum or just head directly to the US State department rather than getting anecdotal information from strangers? Anecdotal information (e.g., I was safe) means nothing. Like Tyler1980 said, its the overall trend that matters.

It takes two minutes to do some due diligence. While some US cities might get coverage, like Chicago, its clear they are NOTHING like Mexico (or Brazil). Feel safe in Chicago? Lots of people do.

The real point is some of these resort places are meant to be places you spend money to go on vacation, to get away from your own rat race. And yet, they appear to have changed over the decades. 40 years ago, it might have been different. They will try to tell you its safe. Believe whatever you want.

Not intended to be condescending. Rather, trying to not get people to be disappointed (or worse hurt).
Old 29 April 2018, 12:02 AM   #76
Bt122
Banned

Watch: Ok...Watching
Quote:
Sorry, not my intention. The OP asked a reasonable question. IMO he knew the answer already.

He asks it in a watch forum? Why not ask in a travel forum or just head directly to the US State department rather than getting anecdotal information from strangers? Anecdotal information (e.g., I was safe) means nothing. Like Tyler1980 said, its the overall trend that matters.

It takes two minutes to do some due diligence. While some US cities might get coverage, like Chicago, its clear they are NOTHING like Mexico (or Brazil). Feel safe in Chicago? Lots of people do.

The real point is some of these resort places are meant to be places you spend money to go on vacation, to get away from your own rat race. And yet, they appear to have changed over the decades. 40 years ago, it might have been different. They will try to tell you its safe. Believe whatever you want.

Not intended to be condescending. Rather, trying to not get people to be disappointed (or worse hurt).

It’s the internet... tone deaf. But I didn’t get any condescending tones...it may just not be what others want to hear.
Old 29 April 2018, 12:09 AM   #77
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Well, that’s all fair. And well said.

But this is a forum where people ask all types of questions. Personally, the open discussion is my favorite place to “hang out”. If everyone went to specifically relevant places to post their questions or comments, we likely would not have too much going on here.

I have gone to various forums for cars, travel, cameras etc. Ask a question, wait a day for a response. And get a total of three comments. No discussion.

The OP likely did know the answer, but was looking for thoughts, experiences and a discussion around it. Hearing from other people can potentially help mold decisions.

I do find it ironic when people lament about discussing different topics when this entire place is based on communication.

But your point is well received and I appreciate your response. Thank you.

Old 29 April 2018, 09:03 AM   #78
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt122 View Post
All the places in the world to go.... and cabo?
This. Seems to be experiencing increasing crime. I’ve been and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Not in a hurry to go back.
Old 29 April 2018, 09:53 AM   #79
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I think it depends on what you're doing while on the trip. LA is the same way. If you're spending the whole trip in an all inclusive resort versus stumbling out of a locals bar after 10 tequila shots at 3 am.

I've worn my rolex on many trips in central america and never felt threatened, but at the end of the day if it's going to be on your mind the whole time and changing the way you vacation then leave it at home.

Enjoy Cabo!
Old 19 June 2018, 01:46 AM   #80
GfromMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
Just got back from Cabo. I wore my Hulk and wife wore her DJ the whole time. This thread made me a little nervous (!) but I never felt unsafe and we had a phenomenal vacation. We are looking forward to going back soon.
Old 19 June 2018, 01:14 PM   #81
TRM
Banned

Oh God, not another "is it safe to wear my Rolex to ______________"? thread.
If you are scared to wear it, just don't.
Old 20 June 2018, 02:33 AM   #82
1911dude
Banned

Watch: Omega PO
I just spent 4 months in Cabo, I wouldn't wear a nice watch there. I met many locals and they told me no watches and be mindful of your phone too.

I met one guy that ended up being my driver and he really told me the in's and out's and said there are spotters are takers.
Old 20 June 2018, 02:58 PM   #83
cvera
"TRF" Member

I'd say it's safe as long as you're familiar with the area and any dangers (if at all). Don't wear to parts that are known for more sketch stuff.
Old 20 June 2018, 11:32 PM   #84
OgSnowflake
Banned

If you’re afraid to wear something you shouldn’t have bought it in the first place. Nobody is taking anything off my wrist or pockets not even with a pistol in my mouth if I’m still breathing but that’s just my 2 cents.
Old 21 June 2018, 02:29 AM   #85
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Not to hijack the thread, but...

Does anyone know about the safety of Puerto Vallarta?
Old 21 June 2018, 03:45 AM   #86
Star Ferry
Banned

As with most of these "Is it safe?" threads, if you have to ask, it may detract from your trip so better to not bring it, assuming you have a safe place to store it at home
Old 21 June 2018, 03:49 AM   #87
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Does anyone know about the safety of Puerto Vallarta?
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 21 June 2018, 03:51 AM   #88
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgSnowflake View Post
If you’re afraid to wear something you shouldn’t have bought it in the first place. Nobody is taking anything off my wrist or pockets not even with a pistol in my mouth if I’m still breathing but that’s just my 2 cents.
If there's a gun barrel in my mouth I'm handing over the watch No watch is worth dying over
Old 21 June 2018, 04:24 AM   #89
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Dude, they’ll just blow you away. Don’t kid yourself.

Your life > material possessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 June 2018, 04:39 AM   #90
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
lol yea, ok...
Closed Thread