The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 June 2018, 10:33 PM   #1
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Putter Advice

So this is now my 3rd year golfing. I actually grew up on a golf course, but played football and never “found” the time to get into the sport (probably biggest regret of my life). When I bought all my clubs I decided to get a cheap $80 odyssey. I’ve grown to truly hate the putter. I am looking to get a new putter, but want to get insight from as many people as possible on brands, grips, style (blade,mallet,2 ball).

What do you guys suggest? I am a 23 handicap, and feel as my putting is one of the culprits that I can adjust slightly to get down to an 18.

I am not restricted by price, but don’t want to spend 500 if it is truly not necessary.

Would love to hear what you guys use/suggest!
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 11:11 PM   #2
blassy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN, 16800
Putter is the most "personal" club in the bag.
You either go the hit and miss approach - which I did for years - until I found one that worked.
Or you go get fitted to see what weight, shape, length etc fits your stroke best.
I ended up being a Scotty Cameron hoarder - have many including some tour stuff but always go back to an old Newport 2 mid slant.
Enjoy the journey - it's part of the fun....and the frustration.
Go to a local golf store - they all have huge putting greens...and spend some time with a few different models and see what feels right.
blassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 11:26 PM   #3
indexmatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, 116655, 5164
I couldn't agree more that it's truly a personal preference, weight, style, grip, etc. Everyone has a unique approach and something unique that works for him/her.

I have always liked Cameron's but they just never clicked for me (trust me, I've tried them all). I bought a Bettinardi a few years ago and it's been absolutely fantastic, I highly recommend taking a look.

Below is a link to a similar model of the Bettinardi I use, I like the weight, it's a bit of an in-between between a blade and a mallet, I just really like how it feels personally. I think Bettinardi isn't a brand folks consider off the bat, but I'd recommend giving it a shot.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...2017ss28stdptr

Best of luck! it's a fun process, would recommend trying as many as you can and seeing what works best for you and your game.
indexmatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 11:32 PM   #4
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Don't play much anymore, but when I did, I played as a legit 6.
And I can say, without reservation, that equipment-wise, the thing that helped my putting the most was going to a very built up grip. Made the club feel so much more comfortable in my hands.

Of course, everyone's hands are different, but what I'm saying is, don't just focus on what's at the bottom the putter. Your grip and length of club, matter just as much, if not more.
Old 8 June 2018, 11:35 PM   #5
520Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, LV,GMT II Pep
I agree with what has been said. I am a 7 handicap and my buddies would probably say that putting is the strongest part of my game. I use a traditional looking putter but have had several over the years.

I had the pleasure of meeting Guerin Rife at our Champions Tour event recently an picked up an Evnroll ER2. I would experiment with different grips an putters until one works. IMHO putting is mostly confidence..... ohh an stay still an don’t let your eyes wander!

https://evnroll.com

Matt
520Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 11:36 PM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I use a Cameron studio squareback but I would never try to recommend a putter to someone else...I can’t put for crap myself
Old 8 June 2018, 11:40 PM   #7
.brian.
"TRF" Member

Watch: in Philadelphia
Just to clarify, are you looking to get rid of your current putter because it is not comfortable, or because you suck at putting and think buying something new and more expensive will make you a better putter?

I am allowed to say this, because I suck at putting.

When I actually used to play, I would switch putters constantly. In reality, I should have spent more time on the practice green instead of smashing drivers on the range.

FWIW, I play about 2-3 times per year now, and they are just scrambles. I use a $350 Scotty Cameron and I still can't putt for shit.

My point is, just because you buy something more expensive, does not mean you are going to become a better putter. Technology can only help so much.
.brian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 11:43 PM   #8
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
Just to clarify, are you looking to get rid of your current putter because it is not comfortable, or because you suck at putting and think buying something new and more expensive will make you a better putter?

I actually went from an oddessy like the OP has to a Scotty about 6 years back. Changed nothing haha but I think the oddessey was better for really slow greens on municipal courses I played as a kid. Played too fast for slick greens.
Old 9 June 2018, 12:15 AM   #9
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .brian. View Post

When I actually used to play, I would switch putters constantly. In reality, I should have spent more time on the practice green instead of smashing drivers on the range.

FWIW, I play about 2-3 times per year now, and they are just scrambles. I use a $350 Scotty Cameron and I still can't putt for shit.

My point is, just because you buy something more expensive, does not mean you are going to become a better putter. Technology can only help so much.
As a note, I said that I don’t want to spend money just to spend money. I just don’t like my putter as I am not comfortable with it.
Old 9 June 2018, 12:16 AM   #10
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

I figured this would be the general response. I am just debating at this point so I go get fitted, or buy one off the rack.
Old 9 June 2018, 12:24 AM   #11
Lawman77
"TRF" Member

Bettinardi makes amazing, milled putters.
Cannot go wrong with any of the classics in their BB collection.
Lawman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 12:29 AM   #12
Azzurri
"TRF" Member

Nothing plays like a Scotty for me. Loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Azzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 12:33 AM   #13
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Check out Edel putters. You’ll need to find a fitter in your area, but looks like a fantastic product.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 12:37 AM   #14
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I would check out a golf shop and roll a bunch of putters until you find one you really like. It's all about confidence with a putter and you'll know if it feels right.

I currently game a Cameron M2 and like it a lot. I have a few other putters in my "once loved" club corner and will occasionally use one of them if the putts aren't dropping.

Play well!
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 01:16 AM   #15
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Putter is all about the feel and confidence it inspires. Its a very personal thing so you have to try many before you find THE ONE. I was putting on my father in laws green and using his old Scotty Cameron Coronado and sunk everything. He was so impressed he gave it to me and the club will forever be in my bag.

On the other hand my buddy is on his 6th Scotty Cameron putter and we are going to the SC studio today for him to look at finding a new one before a weekend playing Torrey north and south. I hope he never finds THE ONE so I can keep making $ off of him.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 01:40 AM   #16
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
4 handicap. GET FITTED!!! Does not matter what your handicap is, get a proper fitting on a quality machine that will help you narrow down your search to something that is optimal for your stroke.

These guys are awesome https://clubchampiongolf.com/
They charge retail for everything so not the greatest place to buy but the best fitting system I have used.

I have a collection of Scotty Cameron's so I am partial to his designs.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 01:42 AM   #17
.brian.
"TRF" Member

Watch: in Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
I figured this would be the general response. I am just debating at this point so I go get fitted, or buy one off the rack.
There really isn't much to get fitted with on a putter (or any club for that matter), unless you have a very consistent stroke. Length yes, but loft and lie would be useless if your stoke is different each time. Maybe lie if you are really short or really tall, but if you are average height with an inconsistent swing plane, I wouldn't bother changing the lie on the club.
.brian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 01:48 AM   #18
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
Go get analyzed, then get fitted. Don’t buy off the rack unless you know how it will work with your stroke.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 02:21 AM   #19
squirrel211
"TRF" Member

Go try as many as you can. The visual of the putter is important to me, I always feel as though bent-shaft putters look as though they're tough to keep the face square when using. Confidence is influential on your golf swing/stroke! Also, weight/feel is important for me in judging pace.

Not that you are similar to me, but I've always found the 2 Ball putters very difficult to have confidence in. I've always loved how the Taylor Made Sebring series looked felt at address and through the stroke, but I have putted the best with my old Ping Answer, despite liking the Taylor Made more without factoring in results.

I also am finding that I love the new thicker grips, but again, have had better numbers with my old standard-gripped Ping.

* If you tend to push putts, try using a heel shafted putter or a stronger grip.

It's VERY personal.
squirrel211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 02:23 AM   #20
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
ive heard putter fit is important. like its the first custom sized club to get.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 02:51 AM   #21
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Putter Advice

Two words: Get fitted.

Period. Pick whichever brand you like to look at the most - pay the $$ and enjoy it.

Bettenardi, Bobby Grace, TP Mills — lots of options and some AWESOME custom creations

(I’m a 4 index - and I will attest to when ‘choosing’ a putter — you MUST be aware of the 3 Ls (loft, lie and length)) these vary from person to person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 03:03 AM   #22
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I will be the third to suggest Bettinardi. I have a (now) old one from when he was milling them himself. The Dick's one linked might be fine; and might be a totally different animal. I don't know.

I haven't played in close to five years and I was an OK player. No idea what my handicap was and would probably be embarrassed to post it anyway.

Go spend time with a pro. have him (or her) analyze your technique. The machines analyze your stroke but you need a human to watch everything. Have all your clubs tweaked to your stature. I'm 6'-2" and didn't tweak much, but did tweak them slightly.

If anyone cares my irons are Cleveland CG-1's, "woods" are Taylormade R5's (see- I told you I haven't played in a while!)

Another thing to experiment with is your ball. I went through a few different ones and settled on a Titleist- but not the "pro" model (I forget the name). I had all sorts of problems with that ball. Going to a "lesser" Titleist (in my case) worked well.

Take it with a grain of salt. It's been so long I wonder if they still use grass!
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 03:12 AM   #23
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
I used to use a scotty cameron newport 2, was a fine putter but wasn't a fan of the no alignment line on the one I have. I ended up getting a Bettinardi BB1 and love the feel of it.

I'm an OK putter, some rounds I 1 to 2 putt the majority other days I blow up and 4 putt when I'm on in 2.

I would go to one of the stores and try out which putter suites your eye, there is a vastly different feel from 34" putter to a 35" putter.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 03:56 AM   #24
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Original Ping Anser 2 Putter is in my bag. Just switched to a Super Stroke Legacy Fatso 5.0 Putter Grip and Luv it!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 06:01 AM   #25
swils8610

The putter is the most personal preference club in the bag. I’ve tried a bunch of them over the years. Never had a Scotty Cameron. I like the look of a mallet putter but am currently using an Odyssey red fang 35 inch. My putting still sucks! Get fitted. Golf Galaxy did my fitting no charge if I bought a putter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 06:32 AM   #26
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I am a Scotty Cameron guy. I can go months between rounds and still feel extremely comfortable around the greens.
Old 9 June 2018, 07:32 AM   #27
fkim011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sky Dweller
I am self proclaimed golf equipment whore.

The best way is to get fitted but at a 23 handicap, his putting stroke is going to change a couple times as he gets better.

If you are having a hard time getting a pure roll on the ball and starting the ball on line, I would suggest a game improvement putter like the Taylormade Spider. The insert gets the ball tracking quickly and makes up for mistakes on the stroke. There will be lack of feel though cause of the soft insert.

Then I would start honing in on my stroke. Are you straight back and straight through? Open gate close gate? ....so many things to consider when choosing the right putter...
fkim011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 09:41 AM   #28
Sprta
"TRF" Member

Whatever putter you choose select a grip that feels most comfortable to you. The grip to me provides the feel I am looking for in a putter.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 09:48 AM   #29
swils8610

I have a hard time figuring out which Scotty Cameron is which...Golo, Futura, Newport etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 12:41 PM   #30
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
I have a Scotty and a Rife. Both good and both blade putters. I previously had an Odyssey Two Ball putter, but went with blade instead. A Super Stroke grip might feel more comfortable for you rather than stock putter grip for the brand of putter you choose. As others have said, get fitted and make sure your stance and grip for the putter are not hindering a good stroke. Roger Dunn's golf shop, if you have one in your town, could probably help with the fitting. Not affiliated with Dunn's just a suggestion. Good Luck.
chieftd is offline   Reply With Quote