The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 May 2006, 04:42 AM   #1
w4rmk
Banned

Watch: Deepsea D-Blue
Date Window Color

I have noticed that the date window has a slightly yellow/ivory tint on my newly acquired 2 tone Sub circa 1987. The hour markers are still white. At first I thought it was kind of strange that the date color had faded but not the hour markers. Then I read somewhere that Rolex actually gave the date window a yellow tint to make it look better with the yellow gold. Can anyone confirm this?
w4rmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 04:47 AM   #2
AJC
"TRF" Member

As I am not a TT fan I couldn't guarantee it,however,it is my understanding that you are correct.

Aaron.

BTW.I dare say our resident shepherd will be able to confirm/deny this.
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 06:04 AM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4rmk
I have noticed that the date window has a slightly yellow/ivory tint on my newly acquired 2 tone Sub circa 1987. The hour markers are still white. At first I thought it was kind of strange that the date color had faded but not the hour markers. Then I read somewhere that Rolex actually gave the date window a yellow tint to make it look better with the yellow gold. Can anyone confirm this?
No worries, date window backgrounds on TT watches are a very pale yellow, while on SS models they are white.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 07:59 AM   #4
w4rmk
Banned

AJC, why are you not a fan of two tone models? I was in a watch shop today and was showing my new tt sub to a guy who was wearing a ss sub and he said he prefers the ss because it is less scratch prone. I said no big deal to me I will just get mine polished as needed, and he said be careful because every polish decreases the value of the watch. I had not thought of that, but I guess it makes sense. Each polish removes some metal and makes it thinner.

I actually wanted to get a full gold rolex but they are too expensive. I have always been wearing ss watches and have gotten tired of the look. I have only settled on a 2 tone because of price. My first choice would be an all gold yachtmaster.

I am thinking about getting a cheaper gold filled band to put on my sub for daily wearing so that I can leave the original in pristine condition in the original box. But then I feel like, what the heck wear the entire Rolex, I bought it to wear and enjoy not to just in a drawer. So I am bit torn on getting a cheap daily wear band...

Last edited by w4rmk; 13 May 2006 at 12:13 PM..
Old 13 May 2006, 08:02 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
AJC, why are you not a fan of two tone models? I was in a watch shop today and was showing my new tt sub to a guy who was wearing a ss sub and he said he prefers the ss because it is less scratch prone. I said no big deal to me I will just get mine polished as needed, and he said be careful because every polish decreases the value of the watch.

I actually wanted to get a full gold rolex but they are too expensive. I have always been wearing ss watches and have gotten tired of the look. I have only settled on a 2 tone because of price. My first choice would be an all gold yachtmaster.

I am thinking about getting a cheaper gold filled band to put on my sub for daily wearing so that I can leave the original in pristine condition in the original box. But then I feel like, what the heck wear the entire Rolex, I bought it to wear and enjoy not to just in a drawer. So I am bit torn on getting a cheap daily wear band...
Please, please, please....do whatever you want, but PLEASE don't desicrate that beautiful TT watch by strapping on some cheap bracelet.

Would you swap out the wheels of an Enzo Ferrari for some cheap alloy wheels just 'cause you don't want to dirty the original wheels?

Well, there you go....just enjoy that TT of yours, pal, without any kind of bastardization!!

Thanks - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 13 May 2006, 08:06 AM   #6
w4rmk
Banned

Good point, and as I said, I figure why get the Rolex in the first place if I'm not going wear it. If it gets scratched up from use then so be it, that's all part of experience. I have to exercise tough love with my new tt sub.
Old 13 May 2006, 08:06 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Good point, and as I said, I figure why get the Rolex in the first place if I'm not going wear it. If it gets scratched up from use then so be it, that's all part of experience. I have to exercise tough love with my new tt sub.
Well said, my friend. Just stick with that attitude!!

Old 13 May 2006, 08:46 AM   #8
w4rmk
Banned

Here is a picture of my new tt sub:
Old 13 May 2006, 10:16 AM   #9
AJC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
AJC, why are you not a fan of two tone models? I was in a watch shop today and was showing my new tt sub to a guy who was wearing a ss sub and he said he prefers the ss because it is less scratch prone. I said no big deal to me I will just get mine polished as needed, and he said be careful because every polish decreases the value of the watch. I had thought of that, but I guess it makes sense. Each polish removes some metal and makes it thinner.

Its not that I have anything against gold.It just doesn't go with my Autum skin tones.

Seriously,even my wedding ring is white gold as the yellow gold is not my cuppa tea.Its only a personal taste thing.

Aaron
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 10:48 AM   #10
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wear and enjoy the watch. If the band does get really loose or thin, you can always get a new one from Rolex and they will give you some trade in value for your old one.

My friend never understood why one would put a seat cover over the driver's seat of a car, if the purpose was to protect the leather. You bought leather to enjoy it, not to cover it up. You are just keeping the seat in nicer condition for the next buyer to enjoy.

Same with the watch band. Take care of it of course, but use it and enjoy it.

BTW, nice watch!
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote