The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 28 July 2016, 02:32 AM   #1
Evo6
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR55131675BB58
How variable are Jumbo dials?

I've been seriously considering a 15202ST Jumbo lately and popped into the Beverly Hills Boutique yesterday to try on the rose gold version since the steel is never "in stock". This is the second Jumbo I've tried on and although it's stunning overall, neither one has had the deep blue color I've seen in some of the photos of the Jumbo on this and other sites. It comes off more muted and gray/blue in most angles I could see in real life. Is this just the way it is or are there Jumbos out there that have dials that look like this (see below) in the metal?

Evo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 03:17 AM   #2
green_dial
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202, LVc, DSOTM
There was a dial change on the 15202 between the H and I series models (amogst a few other things). The H series dial has a larger tapisserie, and a lighter colour, whereas the I and J series have a smaller tapiesserie, but a darker, more muted colour.
The photo above is an I or J series for reference.

I guess another variable would be the post processing of the photos themselves. Mobile phone cameras tend to up the saturation and contrast a lot more than a standard DSLR jpg file for example.
green_dial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 03:25 AM   #3
JohnnyNoDate
"TRF" Member

The H series had a different dial as mentioned above. Early I series had a few transition elements (skinny AP logo with darker blue dial and tapisserie). Later I and J series has the new standard wide AP logo, darker blue dial and tapisserie.

The variation in blue comes from the lighting.
JohnnyNoDate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 03:45 AM   #4
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Boutique lighting is always makes it hard to determine colors. I'm pretty sure the blue on the dial has always been the same color and the lighting in the boutique is what is causing it to be lighter than it normally looks.

Get the jumbo!
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 03:59 AM   #5
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_dial View Post
There was a dial change on the 15202 between the H and I series models (amogst a few other things). The H series dial has a larger tapisserie, and a lighter colour, whereas the I and J series have a smaller tapiesserie, but a darker, more muted colour.
The photo above is an I or J series for reference.

I guess another variable would be the post processing of the photos themselves. Mobile phone cameras tend to up the saturation and contrast a lot more than a standard DSLR jpg file for example.
Exactly. No variation in current models.... all about lighting!
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote