The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 20 July 2016, 07:05 PM   #1
smg8
Banned

15300 Blue dial, no papers

Hi all,

I am looking to sell or part ex a stainless AP Royal Oak 15300 blue dial, with the slight catch of having no papers. I have the box and purchase receipt, and even the booklets, but no original papers. How much of a hit should I be expecting on the price just so I can brace myself?

Many thanks!
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2016, 07:09 PM   #2
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
How old is the watch? If it needs a service I would send it in for a service and provide service papers. That is the only way for some one to be sure it is genuine and have peace of mind. Well worth it and will make it much easier to sell for a good price.
Old 20 July 2016, 07:27 PM   #3
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUK View Post
How old is the watch? If it needs a service I would send it in for a service and provide service papers. That is the only way for some one to be sure it is genuine and have peace of mind. Well worth it and will make it much easier to sell for a good price.
15300 has display back, authenticity is not an issue with them.
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2016, 09:30 PM   #4
Khyron
"TRF" Member

What papers are you referring to?

The booklets (1 instruction manual and the other has the details of the watch ie serial number and service history)
Khyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2016, 10:23 PM   #5
smg8
Banned

Hi,

I have the instruction manual, not the one with serial number and service history (annoyingly!) - I bought it like that so guessed any hit on the price would have been factored into my buying price.

Ref age/service, I am looking for a quick-ish sell to free up some cash for a home renovation project so sending it to AP for 6-8 weeks would kind of defeat the object in my circumstances if that makes sense. I am not desperate to sell it as I can access additional funds in other ways, I just feel it is perhaps expendable for now at least in the short term, once the project is complete I imagine I will get a 15202 :-)
Old 21 July 2016, 01:46 AM   #6
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUK View Post
Even taking out the question of it being genuine or not, it's not a bad idea. A collector looking for a "full set" may accept service papers instead of the original book. However, it most likely will cost you more than the hit you would take. If you're just trying to get rid of it quickly and easily, I'd say sell it as is and just fully inform the buyer of it not having papers. Adjust your price accordingly and call it a day. How much less? hard to say, a few hundred dollards? - Good luck
Old 21 July 2016, 04:59 AM   #7
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

For what it's worth, I'm going to be in the market for a 15300 sooner rather than later and probably wouldn't buy one that wasn't a full set.

Best of luck with your sale.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 07:22 AM   #8
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Hard to say for sure, but I'd say 200-500 USD at most. The blue is rare, so the buyer might not ultimately care.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 07:49 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
APs and PPs people typically want all in tact so expect to lose at least a few hundred quid over those similar on chrono24.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 10:26 AM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Hard to say as I wouldn't be a buyer for an incomplete modern watch. I would say you'll lose 1k usd min.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 11:03 AM   #11
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterandwatches View Post
Hard to say for sure, but I'd say 200-500 USD at most. The blue is rare, so the buyer might not ultimately care.
I wouldn't buy incomplete to save 200-500...maybe 500 if it was just the instruction booklet, certainly not for the more important book.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 11:03 AM   #12
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Hard to say as I wouldn't be a buyer for an incomplete modern watch. I would say you'll lose 1k usd min.
Agreed
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 03:02 AM   #13
smg8
Banned

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies to date.

Had a range of offers from a few jewellers, from the funny (£6k) to the interesting (£9k) to the very interesting (£3k cash and a BLNR).

The lowball offer is from a jeweller not used to selling AP/PP high end stuff who are nervous about what is a big purchase for them.

From speaking with one who sells a lot of AP he thinks the papers probably devalue it by £500-£700 which I guess is trade talk to an extent, but not too far off the numbers being mentioned on here!

Thanks a lot to all for your help and input.
Old 22 July 2016, 11:11 PM   #14
Daycruiser
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO 5712
15300 Blue dial, no papers

In the realms of AP, PP, VC, ALS box and papers tend to reflect 20-30% of the price. If you had a stunning piece without papers, I will try my best to knock off 20% from the average second hand price of the piece.

If you are quite eager to get rid of it quickly, an experienced buyer will likely smell it on you, will hook you in and negotiate down relentlessly. Either that or you sell it to someone inexperienced...

Put yourself in a buyer's position, guys here have stated that they are in the market and would not buy without box and papers, well I think most people have a price especially with an open case back, but be prepared to take a big hit.

If it's not necessary, I would access funds from other places and sell this piece of slowly after servicing, the eagerness to sale often leads to bad decisions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 11:24 PM   #15
sitka39
"TRF" Member

Then again, you never know when you might find someone that is, more or less, fine with buying a watch without the paper. Sure you'll still have to adjust the price a little but who knows...
sitka39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 11:32 PM   #16
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by masyv6 View Post
For what it's worth, I'm going to be in the market for a 15300 sooner rather than later and probably wouldn't buy one that wasn't a full set.

Best of luck with your sale.
Same here - There's something about buying haute horology, and not keeping the full set together just doesn't make sense to me. With a Rolex, it's a little different.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 06:17 PM   #17
spirit909
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewphone View Post
Same here - There's something about buying haute horology, and not keeping the full set together just doesn't make sense to me. With a Rolex, it's a little different.
I'm exactly the same and to make me interested, the discount would have to be much higher than £500 to be honest.
spirit909 is offline   Reply With Quote