The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 29 July 2016, 01:58 AM   #1
B.currency
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15400
Looking to get my first AP.

Hello all, first time posting in the AP section of the forums.

I am on the hunt for my first Audemar and i am looking at the 15400 with a white or black dial i'm not sure yet on color.

I have a collection of 4 rolex watches (yacht-master, Day-Date, datejust and a datejust ii) and have had AP on my mind for awhile.

Im looking to see what others that made the jump from rolex to AP think of this watch. I do not live by an AD to try one before i buy so that is a down for me.
B.currency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 02:09 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
It's a great watch. I would make a trip to NOVA or Philly to try one though. Make sure it's for you. I don't have an AP dealer in my hometown either so I know the annoyance or possibly the saving lol
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 02:17 AM   #3
B.currency
"TRF" Member

I was maybe planning on making a trip to philly to try one on, Its a 6 hour drive to just window shop but who know i might fall in love with something out there and bring it home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
It's a great watch. I would make a trip to NOVA or Philly to try one though. Make sure it's for you. I don't have an AP dealer in my hometown either so I know the annoyance or possibly the saving lol
Old 29 July 2016, 03:50 AM   #4
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

I jumped from Rolex to AP. I bought my 1st Ap, a 25820st PC sight unseen. When I got it, I said: "So THIS is what all the fuss is about over AP." Or, something similar to that... Anyways, I was hooked on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
THANKFULLY we don't!!!
Manofsteelpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 05:30 AM   #5
eonflux
"TRF" Member

I didn't have a 15400, but another AP
But have seen the 15400, and it's much more nicely finished than any Rolex

Considering the pic in hour signature, you should consider the blue 15400 as well!

eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 05:40 AM   #6
B.currency
"TRF" Member

The blue dial is amazing, but I have a blue dial datejust ii and a blue dial 116622. Not that to much blue is a bad thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
I didn't have a 15400, but another AP
But have seen the 15400, and it's much more nicely finished than any Rolex

Considering the pic in hour signature, you should consider the blue 15400 as well!

Old 29 July 2016, 06:00 AM   #7
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
A 15400 is a great starter AP. Even though you've never tried it on I'm sure the feel and size with feel great as its probably one of the most bought models in the AP line. Should be a little bigger than your DJII and a little more weight. If your fine with that then your good to go.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 06:13 AM   #8
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Go for the blue dial. Not much looks better than the AP dial in their blue. It's classic RO, if you ask me.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 06:14 AM   #9
gummy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
If you can see them in person that's best.

IMO the white dial 15400 is more silver in person and on the 15400 I prefer the black dial.

Blue is very nice as well - a little harder to find.

Also not knowing the dial colors on your Rolex collection - hard to point you in a good direction.

Wrist size also comes into play as well. My 26320 (same but with Chrono feature) plays larger than advertised on my wrist - love it.

Here's the kicker...if the 15400 is too big on your wrist...you always can opt into the 15202 - that's where it gets fun
gummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 11:17 AM   #10
csquared317
"TRF" Member

I looked at all of them when I got mine. The blue is amazing and sometimes I wonder if I should have gotten that instead.

I have the white and its amazing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6768.jpg (126.7 KB, 378 views)
csquared317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 11:33 AM   #11
BigAl72
"TRF" Member

Watch: D-Blue, GS SBGE001
IMHO the white is just amazing, so clean with the steel.
BigAl72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 12:23 PM   #12
Daycruiser
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.currency View Post

I am on the hunt for my first Audemar and i am looking at the 15400 with a white or black dial i'm not sure yet on color.

I have a collection of 4 rolex watches (yacht-master, Day-Date, datejust and a datejust ii) and have had AP on my mind for awhile.

Your choices of Rolex is interesting. They are all simple dressy watches, even your "diver" is a YM which is more dressy then a sub, says a lot about your taste.

You seem to be a refined man accustomed to 40mm watches. The 15400 is listed at 41MM but wears more like a 43MM, I know because I have tried one, and I have the Royal Oak chrono version.

Ever considered the 15202 jumbo? It's ultra thin, true to Gerald Genta's design, has a display back and it's simply a classic amongst classic.

I think it's more slick and would suit your style better. I am sure you can find some New old stock somewhere if you look hard enough.

In any event get the BLUE Dial, it's just so much more precious. Here is my RO chronograph in blue for a little illustration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 12:59 PM   #13
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Really great advice to take the time to try on the 15400 for size and fit. Would be great to be able to compare it on your wrist to the 39mm 15202 or 15300 but that may be hard to do. Remarkable design and incomparable finishing on the ROs. Good luck in your search.
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 04:31 AM   #14
B.currency
"TRF" Member

Your assumption of my collection seems to be pretty spot on if i do say so.

I have considered 15202 but if i am correct it does not have a second hand or a quickset function, The quickset is not a big deal but the second hand might be for me.

Considering the price difference i would feel with out the second hand or quickset function i would be getting "less for my money" if that makes any sense.

At the moment i have two blue dial rolex watches a silver dial and a wood dial rolex also so that is what was pulling me to the black dial 15400.

Thank you all for the great advice and feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
Your choices of Rolex is interesting. They are all simple dressy watches, even your "diver" is a YM which is more dressy then a sub, says a lot about your taste.

You seem to be a refined man accustomed to 40mm watches. The 15400 is listed at 41MM but wears more like a 43MM, I know because I have tried one, and I have the Royal Oak chrono version.

Ever considered the 15202 jumbo? It's ultra thin, true to Gerald Genta's design, has a display back and it's simply a classic amongst classic.

I think it's more slick and would suit your style better. I am sure you can find some New old stock somewhere if you look hard enough.

In any event get the BLUE Dial, it's just so much more precious. Here is my RO chronograph in blue for a little illustration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 July 2016, 04:42 AM   #15
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

^i mentioned in another thread that I just decided to pick up the 15400 RG blue dial. I'll have it next week and will report back!

JPS
Old 30 July 2016, 07:26 AM   #16
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I saw both 15400 black, silver and 15202, and for me the Jumbo is clearly worth the premium, the proportions are perfect, the 400 is very nice but something about it seemed off in some sort, while the 202 is just perfectly made
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 12:23 PM   #17
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Im looking to see what others that made the jump from rolex to AP think of this watch. I do not live by an AD to try one before i buy so that is a down for me.
If you go to Govberg's in Center City, Phila...ask for Melissa or Greg and say you're an acquaintance of Drew C's. They will take good care of you. They are a great AP AD.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 12:27 PM   #18
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I saw both 15400 black, silver and 15202, and for me the Jumbo is clearly worth the premium, the proportions are perfect, the 400 is very nice but something about it seemed off in some sort, while the 202 is just perfectly made
Yeah, I understand your point about proportions being a bit better on the 15202
And I prefer the calendar window placement on the 15202

But I like the more geometric shapes of the 15400 hands and dial markers
And similar to the OP, I'd want a second hand

eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 10:40 AM   #19
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
Hey OP, before you make the drive, I'd make a few phone calls first! I have made the trip to Govberg in the city a couple times, and the AP case was pretty sparse. There's a gray dealer in North East Phila that might be worth checking out, too - Timepiece Perfection.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 12:22 AM   #20
B.currency
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the great advice I really appreciate it. I am making a trip to New York to take a look at a few different models and am meeting up with a forum member to check out a 15400 that is for sale.
Old 1 August 2016, 02:49 AM   #21
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Thank you all for the great advice I really appreciate it. I am making a trip to New York to take a look at a few different models and am meeting up with a forum member to check out a 15400 that is for sale.
Even better! You should hit up the AP boutique and Wempe and cellini.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote