The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 August 2016, 10:59 PM   #31
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I appreciate journe but do so from a distance. I can't help but dislike his demeanor, according to what I hear, and the way I was ignored in the Miami boutique lol

Call me crazy but at this price intangibles come into play. I'll have the 15202 here, although in the US, there's a 3k usd price differential grey market.
Crumpets that's not good. In fact my service was so good I acty emailed FPJ voicing my appreciation. I played with all the toys and got great gifts!! Made me really rethink my choice of perpetual based on that service
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2016, 12:51 AM   #32
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Crumpets that's not good. In fact my service was so good I acty emailed FPJ voicing my appreciation. I played with all the toys and got great gifts!! Made me really rethink my choice of perpetual based on that service
To provide an update since this was bumped I had an excellent experience since then at the NYC boutique and no longer feel this way

What has not changed is my preference for the 15202st here.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2016, 07:56 AM   #33
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

The FPJ CB is among my all-time favorites. You already have some sport watches, so I'd add a dressier piece instead of another SS sports watch.

It'll be interesting if OP responds and fills the rest of us that missed this thread the first time it came around 2 years ago
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2016, 08:26 AM   #34
texex91
"TRF" Member

15202. Simple.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2016, 09:31 AM   #35
Sir Larry Wildman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, FPJ, IWC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcheroo View Post
Resurrecting a 2 year old thread. Wondering what the OP ended up with, but more importantly, I'm wondering if any opinions have changed over the lasts 2 years. Would be interesting to hear.

The FPJ CB is at the top of my wish list at the moment.
I ended up buying the CB, keeping it for a year, and selling it for the 15202. To fill the Journe void I bought a rose gold CS.

Between the two, I would go with the 15202. Believe it or not, I got tired of the Journe. The blue is amazing at first. Then I just got bored with it. I like the icon status of the Jumbo and while I love blue, it's a bit more subtle on the Jumbo. Also the QC has been outstanding on the AP. Don't buy Journe if you're OCD - you'll find something "wrong" with it. Just he nature of how the watches are made. I have owned three separate Journes and all three had a slight QC issue.

Also, since it's been brought up, I have had excellent service from both the Miami and NYC Journe and AP boutiques. That's a wash from me.
Sir Larry Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2016, 11:27 AM   #36
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Larry Wildman View Post
I ended up buying the CB, keeping it for a year, and selling it for the 15202. To fill the Journe void I bought a rose gold CS.

Between the two, I would go with the 15202. Believe it or not, I got tired of the Journe. The blue is amazing at first. Then I just got bored with it. I like the icon status of the Jumbo and while I love blue, it's a bit more subtle on the Jumbo. Also the QC has been outstanding on the AP. Don't buy Journe if you're OCD - you'll find something "wrong" with it. Just he nature of how the watches are made. I have owned three separate Journes and all three had a slight QC issue.

Also, since it's been brought up, I have had excellent service from both the Miami and NYC Journe and AP boutiques. That's a wash from me.

Journe must be outsourcing his watches to stern these days

I jest.
Old 18 August 2016, 02:01 PM   #37
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
My wife has the FPJ but I wear it from time to time. I'd get the FPJ easy over the AP.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2016, 02:11 PM   #38
daytonaTBR
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for the update. I remember reading this thread last year while I was contemplating the same thing. Like you I ended up going for the Journe and wore it often once I had got it. I agree the blue dial of the Journe did lose a little bit of the luster that it had when I got it. In certain lighting situations the dial appears to be quite "flat" and not as dynamic as the blue dials of the Nautilus and Royal Oak. The CB hasn't seen much wrist time from me this year so I'm probably going to flip for a 15202st soon. Hoping to try one on though in NY next week.
daytonaTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2016, 07:08 PM   #39
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Thanks for the update. I actually picked up a Journe CB yesterday. I'm completely in love with it. The reasons I picked it up for mean it's going to be a long term piece for me - mainly that I wanted something awesome that was also very under the radar.

I actually also want a 15202, that I'll pick up at some point, and I'm sure both watches can live together.

Here's a pic I took today:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2016, 07:34 PM   #40
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Here's a movement shot for good measure :)

Old 19 August 2016, 02:28 AM   #41
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

i own the Rose Gold CS as well. It is more of a dress watch for me. I think it is extremely well designed and love it but do not wear it as often as I might have thought i would but this is a piece I wont sell.

Quote:

watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2016, 02:41 AM   #42
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
The back is gorgeous, but part of the allure of FPJ is his rockstar, mad genius myth. I would want a more extreme design that reflects this, although they are certainly a fair whack more expensive.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2016, 03:32 AM   #43
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterandwatches View Post
The back is gorgeous, but part of the allure of FPJ is his rockstar, mad genius myth. I would want a more extreme design that reflects this, although they are certainly a fair whack more expensive.

Tell me about it! I'd love to own one of his more complicated pieces. One day...

Old 19 August 2016, 03:48 AM   #44
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I was the first one to respond to this thread back in 2014.

My answer today? FP Journe all the way!!!
Old 19 August 2016, 04:24 AM   #45
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

An interesting follow-up of OP's decision from 2 years ago. I think FPJ is a niche market and you either love their design or not.

I've had mixed experience visiting FPJ boutiques - one excellent experience (Tokyo) and one terrible experience (Geneva). It really depends on the salesperson you work with. But I will probably never go in to a FPJ boutique again after that horrendous experience.

The 15202 is certainly an iconic watch that you can't go wrong with. The CB I feel has an interesting dial and case metal. But it really wasn't my taste. I think it appeals to a certain niche market as I mentioned earlier, but not to a larger market like the 15202.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2016, 04:36 AM   #46
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
I was the first one to respond to this thread back in 2014.

My answer today? FP Journe all the way!!!

Thanks for the update!

Old 19 August 2016, 04:46 AM   #47
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
An interesting follow-up of OP's decision from 2 years ago. I think FPJ is a niche market and you either love their design or not.

I've had mixed experience visiting FPJ boutiques - one excellent experience (Tokyo) and one terrible experience (Geneva). It really depends on the salesperson you work with. But I will probably never go in to a FPJ boutique again after that horrendous experience.

The 15202 is certainly an iconic watch that you can't go wrong with. The CB I feel has an interesting dial and case metal. But it really wasn't my taste. I think it appeals to a certain niche market as I mentioned earlier, but not to a larger market like the 15202.

Agreed. Given the number of watches produced by FPJ, about 850 a year, it can't be anything but niche. Compared to the c. 25k produced by AP per year.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure the CB would have been my taste either a year or two ago. Today it is. So is the nature of this beast.

Old 19 August 2016, 07:48 AM   #48
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I like the Number 850 much more than 25.000.
Old 4 December 2017, 10:52 AM   #49
jessiethe3rd
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Chronometre Bleu
The FP Journe Chronometre Bleu is definitely the more modern and special watch. The 15202 is a great watch. FPJ is High Horology. AP is not. Sorry.
Old 4 December 2017, 10:55 AM   #50
tng11
"TRF" Member

Head over heels in love with the 15202 still, after 5 months of having it.

I love FPJ's quirks and I have a CB on order - that blue dial is mesmerizing to me.

Both are icons in their own right. FPJ may not have existed as long as AP, and their designs didn't "shake" the industry like the 15202's granddaddy did. But FPJ's design signature will have a place in watchmaking legends/history.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 11:33 AM   #51
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Had the 202. Sold it.

Have a CB on order. Looking forward to it.
Old 4 December 2017, 11:59 AM   #52
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiethe3rd View Post
The FP Journe Chronometre Bleu is definitely the more modern and special watch. The 15202 is a great watch. FPJ is High Horology. AP is not. Sorry.
You should be sorry as you are just plain wrong.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 12:10 PM   #53
jessiethe3rd
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Chronometre Bleu
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post

You’re right. I am wrong.

AP = High Horology

FP Journe = Exceptional Horology

IMG_0339.JPG

AP still not in the same league...

Old 4 December 2017, 12:18 PM   #54
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

AP = High Horology

Attachment 909555

So where's Greubel Forsey in your little chart? Super duper horology? That chart is a complete joke. What are you, some kind of jewellery salesman?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 02:47 PM   #55
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So where's Greubel Forsey in your little chart? Super duper horology? That chart is a complete joke. What are you, some kind of jewellery salesman?
As padi would say some people insist on talking from where the sun don’t shine.

Nice chart bro
Old 4 December 2017, 03:02 PM   #56
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
I love the FPJ CB but I'd get the 15202 and a Ming watch and call it good. Rarely do I wear anything on a strap.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 03:20 PM   #57
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I concur
Old 4 December 2017, 03:21 PM   #58
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Nice chart bro
Old 4 December 2017, 03:41 PM   #59
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

Quote:

AP = High Horology

As a fan of both brands, I don’t get your point. Your chart puts Hublot at the same horological level of Patek and ALS... Do you agree with that?
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 03:53 PM   #60
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

AP = High Horology

Attachment 909555

You are wrong however that chart is actually better than most. Its still not right though.

I always think small independents can't be ranked against the big names anyway as its too subjective. For example, some of those brands are virtually hand making watches but their movements are not particularly complex. How to you rank that? Craftsmanship and time or complex watchmaking? Its not the same thing.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote