The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 6 March 2021, 04:10 AM   #61
Exiztence
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdnb View Post
The 103431 back side is amazing; pt rotor is bad Ass. I think the case would have been nicer if that extra piece of metal on each corner of the case was removed; but maybe it just looks odd because I am not looking at the watch in the metal. On the dial side, I think if the markers were applied it would be great but understand that at the price this is hell of a value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Given the extreme thinness I am not sure if applied markers would not result in increase of thickness. The current markers are applied to some degree as far as I am aware, they are galvanically grown and glued via tampon printing, I like how perfectly flat the top surface is.
Exiztence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2021, 04:11 AM   #62
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
I was the biggest Octo hater until I saw one in person. It may not be the watch for me but it's ridiculously impressive. I've never seen such quality and watchmaking mastery placed in such a razor thin case. I recommend anyone who hasn't seen in person to do so.
Old 8 March 2021, 04:35 AM   #63
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
I was the biggest Octo hater until I saw one in person. It may not be the watch for me but it's ridiculously impressive. I've never seen such quality and watchmaking mastery placed in such a razor thin case. I recommend anyone who hasn't seen in person to do so.
I was just going to comment it’s not for me but I have never seen one in person. Not a fan of the shape of the case from photos.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2021, 01:10 PM   #64
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
I was just going to comment it’s not for me but I have never seen one in person. Not a fan of the shape of the case from photos.
Don't get me wrong- neither am I. The shape's really odd for a watch, but the quality in execution is top-notch... good enough to make you pause and think "what if?"
Old 17 March 2021, 08:40 PM   #65
beefeater21
"TRF" Member

Just realizing I had missed this thread because the title only talks about the Nautilus and Royal Oak!

I had loved the OF when I tried on the titanium version a couple of years ago. But the monochromatic dial and low water resistance were turn offs. I almost picked up the limited edition titanium with the blue printing, which gave it a little welcome pop, but the WR was still a concern.

This one ticks all the right boxes for me. Loving the black dial, which gives it a bit of formality, and it's still oh so thin! It's become my daily driver as it looks good both dressed up and down. And I had never even considered AP or Patek. I had thought about a VC Overseas Dual Time, but never pulled the trigger as I didn't like that the second time zone hand didn't hide away completely.

Anywho, mine says "hi"!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
beefeater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 12:08 AM   #66
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^ congrats!

After decades of being an enthusiasts there's no better value in a thin timepiece that has 100-meter WP rating within the market below $15k imho. Such an AMAZING value for the $$$, and agree it really needs to be seen in person. What's not to love about a 100-meter WP rating and platinum micro-rotor when you do a lot of water sports

Bvlgari_Octo_Finissimo_S_side.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 01:50 AM   #67
joshsx22
"TRF" Member

20210318_232923 (2).jpg

Love my new octo, took over the 15400 as my "more often" daily. I still feel the AP is better finished though. Their looks are equally appealing to me.

More inclined to swim now with the octo compared to the RO with the extra 50m.

Both bracelets are comfortable, you barely feel the octo on the wrist but the RO still pips it slightly unless feeling nothing on your wrist is equivalent to max comfort for you.
joshsx22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2021, 04:46 AM   #68
Bbp
"TRF" Member

Just picked this up. I have ranked it nbr 1 in my collection.

Bbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2021, 04:55 AM   #69
smg8
Banned

Former Royal Oak and Aquanaut owner here, I went and tried the Octo Finissimo on today.

I don't know, I was expecting to try it and think "I have to have this" but it didn't quite give me that feeling. Honestly couldn't say exactly why. It's beautiful, its highly impressive, and I can't believe how thin it is.

I wonder if it's maybe too thin for my tastes, it just felt a bit unsubstantial in thickness but then a bit big in actual footprint comparatively.

I am going to go back and try again as it "should" work but just didn't quite click. It's a beautiful piece pulling punches with the big boys that cost way more.

I will add the service was next level, puts the experience of walking into a Rolex AD to absolute shame.
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2021, 06:17 AM   #70
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats Bbp! Looks great!

Smg8, ultra-thins are a different world per se. So light, looks like little is there perhaps... yet imho what they did with it is truly brilliant. From the clasp butterfly recess in the main bracelet bits to the mind-boggling movement. Frankly, I'm surprised how darn durable it is! My vintage 'thin' Patek 3820r with modded Piaget 9p is not as thin and the case flexes(!) is a known problem :( .

I don't baby mine at all, works great.

PS: Years ago we had his and her's Aqua, wife wasn't a real fan, I grew tired of it (and lume just falling out didn't help matters), the Octo is leagues better, especially at today's pricing.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 22 May 2021, 07:52 AM   #71
Bbp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Congrats Bbp! Looks great!

Smg8, ultra-thins are a different world per se. So light, looks like little is there perhaps... yet imho what they did with it is truly brilliant. From the clasp butterfly recess in the main bracelet bits to the mind-boggling movement. Frankly, I'm surprised how darn durable it is! My vintage 'thin' Patek 3820r with modded Piaget 9p is not as thin and the case flexes(!) is a known problem :( .

I don't baby mine at all, works great.

PS: Years ago we had his and her's Aqua, wife wasn't a real fan, I grew tired of it (and lume just falling out didn't help matters), the Octo is leagues better, especially at today's pricing.

Thanks Steven!

@Smg8 - i agreed with steven. Not sure which OF variants you had tried. Fyi, when i received the OF chrono gmt in titanium, i felt like picking up a swatch. The titanium weight is unreal but the wrist feel in weight and comfort of this ss OF S are much better as i can feel it’s existence unlike the titanium which sometimes i feel it was not there. Btw my wrist is flat and abt 6.5”.
Bbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2021, 06:55 PM   #72
Exiztence
"TRF" Member

I feel like this a watch also that requires you to have specific wrist as it is sort of a square, I have skinny 6.5" wrists and I wear it rather snugly so it sits before wrist bone, I imagine if I wore it more loosely it would look weird and hover above the wrist bone.
Exiztence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2021, 10:03 PM   #73
beefeater21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
I feel like this a watch also that requires you to have specific wrist as it is sort of a square, I have skinny 6.5" wrists and I wear it rather snugly so it sits before wrist bone, I imagine if I wore it more loosely it would look weird and hover above the wrist bone.
I think you're right. I have a 6.75" wrist, but quite flat on top. I regularly wear a Glycine Airman with a lug to lug of 52mm, and that fits well. I also wear my Octo tight. I find that a loose fit on it means it moves around way too much because of the lightness of the watch.
beefeater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2021, 10:09 PM   #74
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
Well said and agree. Have a 6.75" flat top wrist. If someone has a larger wrist and comfortably wears a 47mm Panerai, the Bvlgari won't fill their wrist. Not sure if Bvlgari has considered a larger case, as their Octo line is selling quite well. It's easy to see there's a lot more modern value with the Octo as compared to the aged designs by AP / PP.

Old 23 May 2021, 12:15 AM   #75
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I really like the Chrono design with the hidden pushers.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2021, 03:21 AM   #76
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I watch I thought I would hate but absolutely love. I love everything about it.

However, i’m not fashion forward enough to be able to pull it off. It would wear me.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2021, 10:24 PM   #77
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Well said and agree. Have a 6.75" flat top wrist.
CORRECTION: Have a 6" wrist (was 5.75" pre-CV, guess I gained some weight in the past year LOL!

Bvlgari_Octo_Finissimo_S_bicycle.jpg

Old 24 May 2021, 03:53 AM   #78
smg8
Banned

Thanks guys, having slept on it I just don't think it's for me. Not sure on the how, why or what but for some reason it just didn't suit me. Again it's a beautiful piece to admire, funny thing watches aren't they. Something can look great on other people or in pictures but just doesn't work on your own wrist! Great wrist shots by the way.
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2021, 03:30 PM   #79
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

I'm also a 50/50 on this - appreciate the engineering behind it, but aesthetically speaking it's not to my personal tastes.
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2021, 03:19 AM   #80
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
The OF is a beautiful watch and the movement is spectacular. For me, the only downfall is the bracelet. I think the bracelet is ugly, and not all that comfortable. I addition, doesn't it use push pins for sizing? To me push pins are only acceptable on very inexpensive watches. I would think they could have designed a better bracelet allowing for easy sizing and removal much like what is done on the Cartier Santos or new Pasha.

With the exception of the bracelet, I really like the watch a lot. Especially now that one isn't restricted to the monotone look of gray watch/gray dial.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote