The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 June 2017, 11:17 AM   #1
Alford78
"TRF" Member

PP Rose Gold and wearability?

Hello everyone. I'm searching for my next watch and have never owned a PP RG watch and have only owned one PM watch in general that I only wore a hand full of times because it didn't fit well on my wrist. So the question is how much do you all concentrate on wrist presence and try to "always" avoid rubbing/scratching the watch/clasp when wearing the rose gold models?

I currently wear my 5167 99% of the time including sleeping, showering, swimming, working for the most part(not behind a desk), and cooking so I have worn it like a Rolex Sub pretty much. It has served me very well and I have tried to be conscience of its presence when could otherwise rub my wrist up against something. I'd say it's held up rather well considering how delicate the finish is on the case and clasp. There are only very small hairline scratches on the top brushed bezel and the same for the clasp but just more of them.

The watches that are currently on my radar are the 5711r with bracelet, 5164r, and the 5712r. Then there is the Rolex Sky Dweller RG on bracelet which for some reason keeps popping up in my mind even though I know it would be harder to flip than any of the PP models I'm currently interested in buying.

One aspect of the above watches that I would like some opinions on is the RG bracelet vs clasp wearability and if you all consider this when deciding which watch you will be wearing in a particular day? Obviously leather and water don't mix but would there be second thoughts about wearing the bracelet over a clasp in general if it was just a regular day in the office or around town? I like the bracelet more than leather for sure but have really grown to love the tropical rubber strap of the Aquanaut a lot. At the same time I don't want to end up with a RG bracelet that looks bad from a ton of scataches either. Exactly how hard are RG bracelets to keep looking good I guess is a good way of asking it?

Any all all person options and facts about wearing PP rose gold and Rolex's version of rose gold would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!
Alex
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 12:24 PM   #2
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Well we know the Rolex Everrose is darker than the PP rose gold, if that helps.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 12:54 PM   #3
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Since you have the 5167, of the 3 mentioned, I'd say this:

And eventually trade the 5167a towards the 5164a.
Old 25 June 2017, 02:48 PM   #4
Sarat1538
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711r
I was just in the same position as you a month ago! SkyD DD or 5711R and I chose the 5711 and don't regret it one bit. Only choice is the 5711
Sarat1538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 03:32 PM   #5
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

I went with a 5712r, the shade of rose is pretty nice as its not terribly red yet definitely not yellow...granted thats for all of Patek's rose models. I do wish the 5712r could come with a bracelet version though...
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 03:43 PM   #6
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Since you have the 5167, of the 3 mentioned, I'd say this:

And eventually trade the 5167a towards the 5164a.
What I was thinking as well
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 08:48 PM   #7
KarlS
Banned

I am biased and would go PP
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 09:21 PM   #8
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
There is nothing like the Patek Phiippe RG.
Old 26 June 2017, 12:43 AM   #9
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd pick the beautiful and silky smooth 5711/1r as well. As you have the Aqua and seem to have good wrist awareness you should be fine with the 5711. I have very few marks on the bracelet, and just a couple on the bezel... I just wish mine had an hour hand!

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 04:34 AM   #10
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone but how well does the bracelet wear concerning scratches? If this was a piece you would eventually trade up would you wear it very very infrequently because of its acceptability of scratching or would you just use extra caution with wrist presence?

I'm trying to eventually trade up to my grail PP Perp Cal Chrono so this will be a watch that will need to keep pretty clean in general. That's why I asked about if there would be situations where choosing a clasp model for certain days ever comes into play. I know quite a few people that wear gold bracelet watches all the time but PP finishes all their SS metal watches so finely that they are known to scratch rather easily so trying to get a feel about how the RG wears compared to PP SS and vs other manufacturers. I hope that makes sense.

The above is one reason why I'm having problems choosing between the 5164r and the 5711r. I truly do like the 5711r full bracelet but not if I will be forced to wearing it very very sparingly. I view it as a causal sports watch which is in line with the 5164r which could be worn very often.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by Alford78; 26 June 2017 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 26 June 2017, 04:36 AM   #11
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I'd pick the beautiful and silky smooth 5711/1r as well. As you have the Aqua and seem to have good wrist awareness you should be fine with the 5711. I have very few marks on the bracelet, and just a couple on the bezel... I just wish mine had an hour hand!

Lol that is a great pic hiding the hand!

How often and what type of atmosphere do you find yourself wearing your 5711r the most?

Thanks for the help!
Old 26 June 2017, 04:43 AM   #12
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarat1538 View Post
I was just in the same position as you a month ago! SkyD DD or 5711R and I chose the 5711 and don't regret it one bit. Only choice is the 5711
Did you ever get the chance to compare them in the metal? I don't have a retailer close anymore so kind of hard to tell the difference between the Rolex and PP colors. The Sky Dweller bezel does sparkle quite a bit which is a totally different look.
Old 26 June 2017, 05:14 AM   #13
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
I just wish mine had an hour hand!
I wonder how this one passed the PP QC.
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 10:22 AM   #14
AK797
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alford78 View Post
Lol that is a great pic hiding the hand!

How often and what type of atmosphere do you find yourself wearing your 5711r the most?

Thanks for the help!
I only worry about bezel marks, not the bracelet, so I wear it selectively, but if the bracelet is your main issue then you're fine if you wear it in rotation, and anyway you can always get PP to polish it up in future if you want it looking pristine again. I've had mine for over a year and a half and the bracelet still looks near mint.
Old 26 June 2017, 11:04 AM   #15
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex368 View Post
I wonder how this one passed the PP QC.
They didn't notice
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:35 AM   #16
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I wear a LOT of PM braceleted watches - multiple brands. I've not had any issues or concerns with their durability and suitability for everyday wear.

kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:55 AM   #17
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
If you are as OCD as you seem to be about scratches, I would stick with leather bands. Scratches are part of life with a bracelet, whatever it is made of. IMO, naturally.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:15 AM   #18
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
If you are as OCD as you seem to be about scratches, I would stick with leather bands. Scratches are part of life with a bracelet, whatever it is made of. IMO, naturally.
lol I'm not OCD about them one bit actually quite the opposite. I do try not to bang finer finished watches up against objects but other than that I don't mind normal wear marks so to speak. I am more concerned about those who are OCD when I get rid of it after a year or two.
Old 27 June 2017, 07:22 AM   #19
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
5170R cream dial
Old 27 June 2017, 07:53 AM   #20
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I have the 5167R, and it is great, wearable in shorts or suit and tie, very under the radar, never saw someone giving the watch or me any kind of envious or jealous look. Love the 5164R as well, 5712R is amazing but too dressy for me, in RG prefer the Aquas
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 11:59 PM   #21
Tony@KopiGau
"TRF" Member

Quote:

May I ask what camera/phone you used to take this picture that is leading to my next PM must have? absolutely stunning!

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk
Tony@KopiGau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 12:22 AM   #22
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
…I just wish mine had an hour hand!
Maybe they forgot to put it back on when you changed the dial back to brown again. Why you changed from that lovely ruby red one, I’ll never know…
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 03:46 AM   #23
AK797
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony@KopiGau View Post
May I ask what camera/phone you used to take this picture that is leading to my next PM must have? absolutely stunning!

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk
I just use an old Sony camera, nothing special and doubt you can still buy them. The trick is to find the right lighting and then take a dozen pics at slightly different angles and then pick the best ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Maybe they forgot to put it back on when you changed the dial back to brown again. Why you changed from that lovely ruby red one, I’ll never know…
Boy, you have a good memory, I just about remember that bloody concoction.
Old 28 June 2017, 08:44 PM   #24
Sarat1538
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alford78 View Post
Did you ever get the chance to compare them in the metal? I don't have a retailer close anymore so kind of hard to tell the difference between the Rolex and PP colors. The Sky Dweller bezel does sparkle quite a bit which is a totally different look.
I did I tried on both! The skydweller had a great wrist presence and I always like a fluted bezel on PM watches but once I had the 5711 on I knew instantly it was the one! It's a lot slimmer than all my rolexs but it feels great on the wrist and the color of PP rose gold is very stunning in person. You can't lose with the 5711
Sarat1538 is offline   Reply With Quote