The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 May 2016, 03:29 AM   #1
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Joined the 5167 club today

Just opened it up and snapped a few pics. It's every bit as marvelous as I'd hoped it would be and more!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for helping me choose to go this route to those of you that weighed in on my trade thread! I did the best thing I could have done in IMO for sure. What a great one watch to start a new collection with!
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2016, 03:32 AM   #2
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
congratulations.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2016, 03:34 AM   #3
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Congratulations!
Old 7 May 2016, 03:35 AM   #4
KarlS
Banned

Welcome
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2016, 03:40 AM   #5
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Awesome! Congrats.
Old 7 May 2016, 03:42 AM   #6
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Congratulations. A beauty!
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2016, 04:19 AM   #7
texex91
"TRF" Member

Congrats and enjoy!
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2016, 04:27 AM   #8
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Looks great!
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2016, 04:34 AM   #9
martinr
"TRF" Member

Congrats on that beauty.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2016, 04:37 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats! Makes a great daily beater :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2016, 04:56 AM   #11
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Congrats! Makes a great daily beater :)
Thanks!

We shall see! That's how I plan to wear it. Not overly rough but true day to day watch from mowing grass on a tractor (not slinging debris with a string trimmer or small mower), to jumping in the pool, to grilling, from casual to business casual, and everything between. Of course I won't let it knock up against something on purpose just like I wouldn't with a $100 watch but stuff just happens with an every day watch that is unforeseen. Which brings up the following.

How easy is it to clean up the multi surfaced polished/brushed curves and flat surfaces on this model? I don't mind using very less aggressive polishing techniques myself and brushing with a green pad. But if all the curves and mating surfaces on this watch make it rather complicated I wouldn't be opposed to sending it out once a year to someone that would do an excellent job. Any thoughts on this? I don't want to take metal away that doesn't need to be and only keep the watch looking it's best without changing the lug/bezel/guards thicknesses/shapes. Just keep it to its best appearance without doing an overhaul I guess is the best way to put it or mild polishing.
Old 7 May 2016, 05:00 AM   #12
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Thanks all!!!

On the strap, how should I cut the bracelet for optimal wearability. Like should I have the clasp centered on the underside of my wrist? If the clasp is centered on the underside that would require more sections left uncut on the 12 side, correct? I now have it rather loose and the clasp is closer to the 12 than the 6 on the under side of my wrist. I think I left enough room to cut 2-3 more links and would be just snug at fully swollen which is what I would want.
Old 7 May 2016, 05:06 AM   #13
Alford78
"TRF" Member

And to those that complain about hearing the rotor and other things going on inside their 5167, I don't think they will ever get on my nerves. I have smiles each and every time I've heard it talking to me so far lol. Let's just hope I don't start talking back to it like my 16 month old when I don't understand her. I know she's trying to tell me something so naturally not going to just ignore her so talking back is always a no brainier.
Old 7 May 2016, 05:13 AM   #14
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Congrats man!!

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2016, 05:14 AM   #15
Sarasotawatchcompany
Banned

Congrats
Sarasotawatchcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2016, 05:46 AM   #16
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Congrats. I would do no polishing yourself whatsoever. And sending away once a year is too frequent, I would just get it done when it goes for a service.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2016, 05:53 AM   #17
onehotchili
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alford78 View Post
And to those that complain about hearing the rotor and other things going on inside their 5167, I don't think they will ever get on my nerves. I have smiles each and every time I've heard it talking to me so far lol. Let's just hope I don't start talking back to it like my 16 month old when I don't understand her. I know she's trying to tell me something so naturally not going to just ignore her so talking back is always a no brainier.
Congrats on the new watch.... I am a little more than a month into my 5167 and LOVE hearing the little rotor whirl :)
onehotchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2016, 06:33 AM   #18
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
Congrats!! I love my 5167, and I'm sure you will too!
Old 7 May 2016, 07:17 AM   #19
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
Congrats. I would do no polishing yourself whatsoever. And sending away once a year is too frequent, I would just get it done when it goes for a service.

Yea that may end up working out just fine. I definitely don't want to polish too often by any means but just figured I'd most likely wear it 150-250 times a year and would need it. But if it doesn't I wouldn't even think about sending it for touch up for sure. Maybe my thoughts on its robustness aren't very accurate. I've just read that some thought the case was its weak point so that stuck in the back of my mind.

Thanks for the encouragement and hope it can span years between needing cleaned up! That would be great!
Old 7 May 2016, 07:21 AM   #20
Alford78
"TRF" Member

What about the changing of time/date during those magical hours near midnight? How is the caliber constructed relevant to that? I know one can do any changing they want with the Rolex 3135 movement without any worries but I realize this is far from a Rolex movement. I will sit down with the manual this weekend when have time but throwing around the questions that are propping in my head since putting it on my wrist.

Thanks again everyone for the "Congrats and other compliments!"

Oh. And any responses to post #12 would be great! Would like to get it perfect by this weekend full of outdoor children's sporting activities.
Old 7 May 2016, 07:53 AM   #21
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
Old 7 May 2016, 10:33 AM   #22
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch! Congratulations!
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2016, 10:57 AM   #23
mineral
"TRF" Member

My favorite . Congrats
Old 7 May 2016, 10:26 PM   #24
Alford78
"TRF" Member

I'm really loving the 5167 for sure but for the life of me can't get the clasp dead centered like everyone saying is optimal for comfort and to keep the dial centered on the wrist.

Here is watch centered on top of wrist.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is clasp centering. It's just a tad towards the 12 side.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have two extra spaces on the 12 side but when it was even on both sides the clasp was in the same location that it is now after cutting more away from the 6 side. I think it's just because the strap is new and not conforming to my wrist therefore it's just curved like an oval enstead of wrapping around my rectangular shaped wrist. So my thoughts are to give the strap some time to loosen up and conform to the shape of my worst before cutting anymore as my next cut will be my last since I don't want it tight. Does that sound logical and what is going on here?
Old 7 May 2016, 10:37 PM   #25
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Oh. And my wife is in love with this piece and she doesn't even get the watch bug ordeal. She has a nice watch I bought her three years ago and a Fitbit and rotates them about 60 Fitbit 40 nice but when she got home from the office yesterday the first thing she did was check out the 5167 and said, "Now I'd wear that for sure!" I had been trying to get us matching yacht masters or 5167s or even nautilus'. But she has always said I'd do so much more with that money than spend it on a watch but when she saw the 5167 in the metal her thoughts changed lol. She said now that is an understated watch that could go anywhere and only true watch geeks would have a clue what it is. She hit the nail dead on the head. She really like the GSOTM and the Black Black moon watch but now thinks they are inferior lol. I might just make a watch geek (already Dr Geek so shouldn't be hard) out of her yet- lookout to our check books!!!!
Old 7 May 2016, 10:42 PM   #26
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Congratulations. Nice piece.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2016, 03:42 AM   #27
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivek View Post
Congratulations. Nice piece.
Thanks! It is the most comfortable piece I've ever worn by far so what they all claim regarding its comfort is more than spot on for sure. It doesn't twist around and pretty much stays put right where one wants it to be even though it is loose enough to move around.

Loving it the more I wear it; although, I took it off to show my wife the movement earlier and it appears to have trapped soap scum from last nights shower on the back of the tropical strap. Guess I need to either just take it off before shower or rinse the back of it off real quick before getting out of the shower. Both scenarios require taking the watch off so might be better to only shower with it when I've been really sweating or doing dirty work. Easy enough!!!
Old 8 May 2016, 03:48 AM   #28
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Very nice, congs!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2016, 12:24 PM   #29
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)