The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 May 2016, 10:39 AM   #1
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Kinda Personal- Affordable Vs Struggle To Obtain

This may be way way too personal for some of our members and doesn't really apply to some since their collections speak for themselves. But, being that the majority of us here are generally just watch lovers and admire Patek pieces, I'm curious as to how many fit into my category when it comes to affordability vs just flat out "I'm gonna do what I have to so that I can acquire "x" Patek"?

Without getting too personal how do you fit in the $25k+ ownership?

I'm far from a good writer so hope this comes across as I intend it to.

Using myself an an example:

My wife and I make decent money but also have quite a few properties and other ongoing expenses that have to be paid each month/year so flopping down $25k+ on a watch isn't a minor purchase by any means and I would normally have to save for 6 months to a year for such purchase unless relinquished a property of some sort or flipped watches.

I'm sure there are PP owners out there that make a lot less money but are so in love with a watch that they save and or do whatever they can to obtain that "Grail" piece. But, really how many of us fall into that category where it's a struggle just to own our precious watch? I know I fell into this category when I purchased my first Rolex fresh out of school without a job and student loans approaching. But that Sub literally more than quenched my thirst for a nice watch for some 7-8 years; although, I continued to research and look at all the other offerings during that time. I just had quite a few other hobbies (still do) that far outweighed the need to spend more money on another watch. It did everything I needed it to in every condition imaginable without missing a beat (well maybe it did run a few seconds fast so added a few too many beats lol).

I did what I would consider unimaginable today in order to walk into that Rolex AD and purchase the Sub. I financed half of it at 0% for 12 months even though I didn't have a job and knew I wouldn't have a "real" job for at least another two years since I was returning to school for another four semesters. It ended up working out but just barely. My last payment was completed during the last week of my interest free period by some miracle.

Some people may struggle to admit that they are getting in over their head to own or do some things in life and I completely understand that a watch addiction can cause people financial stress just like any other addiction. Personally I'm starting to feel like some of the PP annual calendars, perp calendars, and chronos could make me succumb to such addiction traits. Or I could talk some sense into myself and just continue to flip my watch for one that is worth $10k+ more than the one I'm flipping each time I want to scratch that itch while inching closer and closer to a $75k+ piece. There is just that blatantly obvious fact that I will most likely lose money each time I "upgrade" closer to that final piece and that doesn't account for the lack of having a collection to choose from either.

That brings up the whole collecting business in general. How can one be a collector yet only own one or two watches? Every since I can remember I've had a touch or more of obsessive compulsive disorder when it comes to collecting/hobbies. It started with flea markets when I was 4-5 years old and arrow heads and coins. I would have how ever much money my mother would give me and the entire day I would scope out all the booths weighing my options on how to get the most/my favorite pieces for that set amount of money I had to spend and at the end of the day my mother would be counting down how much time I had left or would be walking away with nothing at all. Then came sports a few years later and cards/memorabilia was my next obsession. I would work every day after school on the farm with my grandfather for $20/day and he would take me to the trading cards/comic book shop each Friday (unless I was set on something over the $100/week income which would require more time saving) for my coveted pieces which I had scoured the price guide (Beckett) all week to make my decision.

As I grew so did the hobbies and prices associated with them. Memorabilia prices have risen and I still collect but it's cheap compared to Home Theater (which is my main hobby) and luxury watches. There just aren't many watches I like that aren't $25k+ so it stinks for my pocketbook. There are a few watches on my radar that range from $7,500 to $13,000 (RLX Batman, JLC Master Control, Fleurier Tonda 1950, Omega DSOTM variants (which I've owned/flipped toward 5167), and a couple more that don't really speak to me nearly as strong as these but other than that they are $20k-$25k+. It's like even most of the watches others lust after don't even appeal to me at all after really getting into this hobby which isn't fun since I'm an addict to collecting in general.

So, after all that and after adding the addiction disease into the mix in general, how do many PP or other $25k+ owners that aren't rather wealthy approach buying such pieces? Are there many in the group that really struggle and stretch beyond their means to own what makes them happy And in this case do you have more than one $20k-$25k piece that has taken you years to acquire? Or are the majority of the owners just able to spend the funds but just happen to be watch lovers in general?

And the question that may be too personal but have to ask since it's relevant. How many just have to have a piece so bad that they finance it without question?

Again, this is rather personal but I think most of us are anonymous so shouldn't really be invading while also revealing how much our hobby has a grasp on our personal lives.

If it's too personal for you simply please don't respond as I've clearly admitted this thread might not be for everyone. I'm just torn on how I want to go forward with this hobby since PP dress watches are my favorite by a long shot but will most likely only be able to own one three hander/date and another complication/chrono without years of waiting between purchases unless I were to sell my beloved electronics which will never happen. I could have a triple complication if did that but my home theater is my pride and joy. Saving for a $20k-$50k piece could take me 2-3 years and just don't know if I'd truly enjoy owning a couple pieces like this or flip up to a piece like this while also having the cheaper watches mentioned previously for a true rotation. When I had my GSOTM and Sub I only wore the Sub one time so there wasn't a rotation at all. But those pieces are far different than really high end pieces too- thoughts?

If you made it this far I congratulate you and thank you!
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 10:47 AM   #2
Tony64
"TRF" Member

I forgot the question
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 10:48 AM   #3
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
I have only ever used disposable income to buy watches, and after I joined TRF the proportion of that that went to watches did go thru the roof, but I kept it at play money only. I would never borrow, even at 0%, or use money allocated for other purposes. If I were you I would save harder and maybe cut back on other luxuries and make a plan. The first few years I was on TRF all I did was make plans, pages and pages of them, and it was so much fun, often more so than getting the actual watch itself.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 10:48 AM   #4
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
To each their own but I would never buy any watch with funds I do not have. So if you truly desire a high end watch, save for it, you will enjoy it that much more when you finally get it.

That said, once you grow in appreciation for a watch at the level of a Patek Philippe, it is very hard to go back.
Old 26 May 2016, 10:59 AM   #5
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
I have never and would never barrow for my watches or any other toys. I make less than 40 a year at the shop and my wife is only just at 40. My gunsmithing business (10-20 hrs a week) is how I buy my toys. My wife does crafts for her "play" money. I am lucky that I work on nice stuff in my spare time and as such make good at it. Shy of watches, pens, and my unmentionable collection we live well within our means and very modestly. I remodeled our kitchen purely on my own in a house we bought in foreclosure. The 3 bathrooms are next then a deck to enjoy the mountain views. I am fortunate enough to own all the necessary tools and have the background to allow me to do this. When done the house will be worth about 3 times what we will have in it and ALL of the proceeds will go to our next home which will have more land. My hobbies are supported only by my hobbies and nothing else.
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 11:17 AM   #6
Alford78
"TRF" Member

I agree with the not financing 100%. I see people do it all the time and even did it myself before I was old/wise enough to realize how crazy it was.
Old 26 May 2016, 11:18 AM   #7
texex91
"TRF" Member

As noted, watches should be 100% play money. No matter if you buy a $5k watch or $150k watch.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 11:20 AM   #8
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
I forgot the question

Sorry, I'd ask again but I forgot it myself 😏
Old 26 May 2016, 11:25 AM   #9
Socal to az
Banned

Cash only. No financing. If I don't have the cash- i wait and save up. No financing here at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 11:53 AM   #10
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Agree that watch purchases should be done with excess funds only. For me, the joy of owning a great piece would be far outweighed by the stress of over-extending my budget.
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 12:08 PM   #11
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member

Watch: me sell games
If you have to think twice about spending the cash on a particular piece then you are spending too much. You have to buy with the idea that you will never see that cash again and it will put it into perspective for you.
ELITEVIDEOGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 12:11 PM   #12
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
Never financed anything, just slowly built up the collection, and eventually consolidated into a few high end watches, currently a PP 5146g, Rolex Milgauss GV, Rolex President 36mm, AP Royal Oak in Rose Gold on leather. Took me about 12 years, both Rolex watches were gifts, but the rest I purchased.

I could afford to buy more, but I am very financially conservative and I try and invest as much as I can.

I view the cost of ownership of a $50,000 watch $5,000 a year, because that's about how much I'd make if I invested that money.
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 12:21 PM   #13
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

As a proud member of Uncle Sam's Navy no luxury watch purchase is an inconsequential purchase, but I live fairly humbly and Save well. My law degree was paid through scholarship and I lived off the gi bill until my final year. Nowadays a nice watch is my favorite hobby purchase and I budget accordingly. Cheers to all of you who have done well in life.

*I would never finance a watch*

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 01:06 PM   #14
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Alford this is an interesting topic as it is common for obsessive types to collect LOTS of different things....but as your income grows into adulthood so does your need to FEED the collecting beast with finer and finer examples of whatever it is you're into. That's the transformation from your flea market shopping to now..

You have a problem, however.....a problem that quite a few on this forum DO NOT have and that is a limited income/wealth....so your question just won't compute with those people. They WANT it...they just buy it...no stress or problem what so ever. No financing. They can handle multiple expensive hobbies AND live whatever lifestyle they see fit....

So you might not find many here who will be in agreement with you because they have different means than you, or the persons with more limited buying power(there are many here too) have lessor tastes...and fewer hobbies...or they have more financial discipline.

So your combination of multiple expensive hobbies, fine tastes, and lessor income/wealth, is not a good mix....

So, easier said than done I'm sure but you're going to have to do one of the following:

1) Get more money!

2) Pick a Hobby and stick with that....you just can't have it all

3) Get some treatment for the "problem". If the collecting is an addiction that is affecting your life in any negative way, it's not healthy......stressing over financing a $25k dress watch that you "just have to have so bad you will consider recklessly financing it"...might put you in that category.

This hobby can become a problem for some people...I've seen an intervention of sorts for a fellow on another forum. He must have flipped 60 expensive watches in a year....losing money each time. He listed out all the watches on a post and some were many multiples of the same piece...over and over again. He admitted that he just couldn't stop.

I
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 01:11 PM   #15
Socal to az
Banned

If you can't afford to "blow" 25 to 50k on a watch - cash money- but still have a desire to collect watches- collect cheaper watches. I think many of us can afford to live like no one else today is because we lived and saved like no else yesterday.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 01:12 PM   #16
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
We all have our hobbies and very different comfort levels when it comes to spending money on them. Early in life, any excess money typically goes to home/living expenses and retirement savings. Once you get more established, you are free to spend more on material items, travel, etc.

To get more to your question, my total current replacement value (pre-owned prices for 7 watches) is probably around 5% of our annual household income and maybe around 1% of our net worth. So while I could certainly afford to spend more, I just feel that I have more than enough. I feel that even though I'd love a Nautilus 5980 or 5990 it won't make me 3-4 times as happy as having my Royal Oak Chronograph. In the end, they're still just material objects, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything when I have my $150 Seiko 5 on instead of my AP. So I would never borrow or finance a watch or any luxury (i.e. non-essential) item unless it was 0% and I wanted to play with the money for the term of the loan. In the end, make sure you and your financial house are in order, and then spend an amount with which you are comfortable. There will always be great watches for sale. No rush.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 01:50 PM   #17
jonathan17
"TRF" Member

Watch: ??? Yes please!
Took me two years of saving maybe abit more, but its worth the wait considering you dont look over your shoulder for unecessary expenses.

Save your excess savings bit by bit you will get there eventually.

A Patek Philippe in my opinion is worth the wait.
jonathan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 01:51 PM   #18
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Alford this is an interesting topic as it is common for obsessive types to collect LOTS of different things....but as your income grows into adulthood so does your need to FEED the collecting beast with finer and finer examples of whatever it is you're into. That's the transformation from your flea market shopping to now..

You have a problem, however.....a problem that quite a few on this forum DO NOT have and that is a limited income/wealth....so your question just won't compute with those people. They WANT it...they just buy it...no stress or problem what so ever. No financing. They can handle multiple expensive hobbies AND live whatever lifestyle they see fit....

So you might not find many here who will be in agreement with you because they have different means than you, or the persons with more limited buying power(there are many here too) have lessor tastes...and fewer hobbies...or they have more financial discipline.

So your combination of multiple expensive hobbies, fine tastes, and lessor income/wealth, is not a good mix....

So, easier said than done I'm sure but you're going to have to do one of the following:

1) Get more money!

2) Pick a Hobby and stick with that....you just can't have it all

3) Get some treatment for the "problem". If the collecting is an addiction that is affecting your life in any negative way, it's not healthy......stressing over financing a $25k dress watch that you "just have to have so bad you will consider recklessly financing it"...might put you in that category.

This hobby can become a problem for some people...I've seen an intervention of sorts for a fellow on another forum. He must have flipped 60 expensive watches in a year....losing money each time. He listed out all the watches on a post and some were many multiples of the same piece...over and over again. He admitted that he just couldn't stop.

I

Thanks for the thought out response! But I think you missed part of what I wrote along with some of the others. I financed my first watch (RLX Sub) some 10 years ago and only because I was young and dumb. I would never finance a watch now but was curious how many actually do because they are addicted to brands like PP.

My obsessive disorder is only an issue with wanting more than I can afford in a hurry. Like I stated I could save $25k-$50k in a year or two no problem without sacrificing any of my other hobbies but just don't know if it's worth doing since before I had the PP experience with my 5167 I just thought they were great watches but didn't honestly realize how much better they were than say RLX and Omega. But when I had my Omega GSOTM I preferred it so much more than the Sub that I never even wore the Sub so was trying to put that in perspective with having a $75k Patek and $25k Patek. Would I even wear the lesser quality piece enough to justify saving for so long to acquire the more expensive model. I know in my heart I would never fill a 6 watch box with actual pieces that would get constant rotation so that is part of my question. When I like something I like it and tend not to care much for the others. So my obsession isn't like that so to speak more more like just have to have something when I really want it and know it's realitively in my reach. If I had to break it down I'd say maybe one PM three hand, one PM manual, 1 or 2 sports watches, a chrono/complication, and a calendar that could be the complication piece. That would be my perfect collection off the top of my head.

As far as income we can't really make more than we do now or it won't be worth the raise in tax bracket. A few hundred thousand a year doesn't go as far as some might think when owning multiple properties and other various things requiring money for upkeep.

I do honestly have too many hobbies but not all of them are as expensive as watches. Radio controlled aircraft, cars, trucks, etc...., fishing, knives, home theater (the most expensive and I don't buy voodoo type cables and wires), watches, memorabilia, and painting/drawing.

I have just seen instances like you explained where people get caught up with owning stuff but lose money in the long run or stretch themselves thin to satisfy that need. I was just merely stating my situation as an example for the thread not because am buying watches that I don't want to keep; although, the thought of gradually upgrading my 5167 until I reach a PC or chrono has crossed my mind since coming up with $16k for another 5167 would be simple compared to $50k$-$75k of disposable cash. And I have a habit of wearing the same watch constantly. My next watch will be a rose gold classical style dress watch so will get a better idea of what will happen when owning two ultra high end watches.
Old 26 May 2016, 02:02 PM   #19
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan17 View Post
Took me two years of saving maybe abit more, but its worth the wait considering you dont look over your shoulder for unecessary expenses.

Save your excess savings bit by bit you will get there eventually.

A Patek Philippe in my opinion is worth the wait.
That's cool! But did you buy any other watches during that time and what was your collection while you saved for the two years for (x) Patek?

I think I could save for two years for an annual calendar or chrono and that has been on my mind but really need a rose gold dress watch and have roughly $20k of play money coming here any time so would be spending almost half of what I would need to save. Decisions decisions lol
Old 26 May 2016, 02:05 PM   #20
el1125
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider817 View Post
Never financed anything, just slowly built up the collection, and eventually consolidated into a few high end watches, currently a PP 5146g, Rolex Milgauss GV, Rolex President 36mm, AP Royal Oak in Rose Gold on leather. Took me about 12 years, both Rolex watches were gifts, but the rest I purchased.

I could afford to buy more, but I am very financially conservative and I try and invest as much as I can.

I view the cost of ownership of a $50,000 watch $5,000 a year, because that's about how much I'd make if I invested that money.
10%, that's VERY VERY good. Can you be my financial advisor? Seriously...
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 02:09 PM   #21
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el1125 View Post

Off topic but I make 16-19% on my property investments and even hire property management companies to run them. Just food for thought. I do search and search and search before finding the right property to buy at the right price but the deals are out there.
Old 26 May 2016, 02:11 PM   #22
KarlS
Banned

I enjoy collecting so I can sort of relate to the thread. Whether it be art, watches or whatever else is the flavour of the decade. I have always tended to buy the best I could afford and just settle for one item versus many. Eventually the many I sold and then bought the one albeit at a major higher level and I am sure that will continue. Irrespective of whether you have a collection worth $ 5000 or $500 000 its is never complete and everyone hungers for the one that is just out of reach!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 02:13 PM   #23
el1125
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
We all have our hobbies and very different comfort levels when it comes to spending money on them. Early in life, any excess money typically goes to home/living expenses and retirement savings. Once you get more established, you are free to spend more on material items, travel, etc.

To get more to your question, my total current replacement value (pre-owned prices for 7 watches) is probably around 5% of our annual household income and maybe around 1% of our net worth. So while I could certainly afford to spend more, I just feel that I have more than enough. I feel that even though I'd love a Nautilus 5980 or 5990 it won't make me 3-4 times as happy as having my Royal Oak Chronograph. In the end, they're still just material objects, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything when I have my $150 Seiko 5 on instead of my AP. So I would never borrow or finance a watch or any luxury (i.e. non-essential) item unless it was 0% and I wanted to play with the money for the term of the loan. In the end, make sure you and your financial house are in order, and then spend an amount with which you are comfortable. There will always be great watches for sale. No rush.

Well said!
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 02:15 PM   #24
jonathan17
"TRF" Member

Watch: ??? Yes please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alford78 View Post
That's cool! But did you buy any other watches during that time and what was your collection while you saved for the two years for (x) Patek?

I think I could save for two years for an annual calendar or chrono and that has been on my mind but really need a rose gold dress watch and have roughly $20k of play money coming here any time so would be spending almost half of what I would need to save. Decisions decisions lol

My collection is nothing fancy, like most people i started with a Rolex, A Submariner then im happy with it, but as i appreciate watches more i decided that i would buy a patek and i didnt lose focus along the way.

A patek annual cal. Or a Chronograph is such a beautiful piece on if my grails is the 5170. Hopefully i can save up again for that but may be 3-4 years this time
jonathan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 02:15 PM   #25
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post

That is where I was going.

5% and 1%.

Maybe others could chime in like this as that would make this quite interesting!!!!

My collection is less than .5% of annual and less than .25% of net worth.
Old 26 May 2016, 04:16 PM   #26
KarlS
Banned

I dont use a % of TNW as a guide but rather my wife and I allocate a fixed percentage of all income to each of us for us to do as we please. It can be 5% or 10% or whatever .... the principle applies. The same goes for any extra income whether it be through 13th cheques, bonuses etc the same fixed % applies. I don't regard a watch as an investment because it really cant be regarded as a storer of value...I can think of significantly better investments than a PP - they are consumables for the owner to enjoy and if there is some residual value at the end of its usefulness to the owner that a bonus!
Old 26 May 2016, 04:56 PM   #27
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by el1125 View Post
Yeah, apart from Bernie Madoff with his 15%, we all know how that finished, never heard of any investments bringing in 10% nowadays

Quote:
Off topic but I make 16-19% on my property investments and even hire property management companies to run them. Just food for thought. I do search and search and search before finding the right property to buy at the right price but the deals are out there.
16-19%?????? I also buy properties that I put on rent, in Paris it's a miracle if I get something which brings 4%, in Odessa it's 8-10%, never heard of properties bringing those returns, I am very surprised...

Quote:
That is where I was going.

5% and 1%.

Maybe others could chime in like this as that would make this quite interesting!!!!

My collection is less than .5% of annual and less than .25% of net worth.
Wait less than 25% of net worth??? That is huge my friend, be careful, it's ok if you have 5711's and 5167's as they are liquid and you won't loose much, but on other watches or hobbies it seems crazy to me, sure you work and make money, better to think about investing in the case one day something happens and you can't work, I buy and sell properties as well as buy and keep for myself, even if one day I can't buy and sell anymore the ones I have will provide us with quite decent income, though not luxurious...

We don't live luxuriously the only things we spent money on are jewelry for my wife, she has enough, 1 very very big ring of the 4 precious stones, and 3-4 of everything, bracelets, normal rings, earrings, needless to say she almost never puts the 4 rings as they are really big, we also got top notch designer clothes, we have enough our wardrobes are great so we just add something when we need it, and me watches, I went down to 1 high end, but since I sold a property, around 5 to 15% will be to buy a few watches, 2 Patek are coming in, sport models, and probably 1 or 2 more watches, in all these 3 things, jewelry, clothes and watches, we always bought the best but at the best prices possible, for the clothes always on sale, for the watches and jewelry always with discount, not huge since we didn't get crap and when possible tax refund, apart from this we live normally, we don't have the need to go in 5+ hotels when we go on vacation, we used to when we were going somewhere for 1 week but it didn't bring us any added pleasure, you are very often with very rich russians or nowadays very rich chinese, all of them "new money", who behave in a horrible way, one time in Turkey, a 5+, my wife told me we shouldn't speak in russian as there were so many behaving awfully she didn't want to be associated with them, we find much nicer to rent a house or flat when we go on vacation, again nothing incredible, I don't like to put a lot of money in things that don't last, I like a good restaurant but never went with my money to a very expensive one, last year my son's godmother who is my old friend and her husband invited the 3 of us to Maxim's in Paris, basically a 3 course meal is 100 to 150 euros per person, not counting wine, it did absolutely nothing to me, sure it was nice we ate well, was it worth it for me? Nope, I have as much pleasure in a 60 euros meal, so these 3 things are our only luxuries, don't care about cars, never have, and 2 of them are fulfilled, jewelry and clothes, once I will have added 3 maybe 4 watches in the next year I will be done, will have 4 or 5, I already know which ones and other watches have no real appeal for me, sure I like the Lange Datograph perpetual or some RM, even thought about it, do I need it, no, which is better it or 2 sport Pateks, or 2 sport Pateks and 1 of these 2, I decided better 2 sport Pateks, which are coming in the next 4 months, and probably 2 other watches, we will see if I wear them all, if not maybe I will sell one or two as I want to wear my watches, I have no attraction to very expensive watches, thought about getting a 80k Lange or RM but decided not to, I wouldn't be comfortable wearing them.

Having a passion is great but it needs to be reasonable, one of my third cousins on my mother's side was born in a very wealthy environment, they are aristocrats, as was my mother when she was born, only problem my grand father was executed for resistance by the Gestapo, that changed many things for her since she got totally scammed, she got parts in coal mines and in forest parcels in 1955, this year they closed the coal mines, she was getting 28 euros per year, LOL, when her grandfather died while the rest of the family was getting castles and properties, she was 14 her mother didn't care she had remarried and was a horrible mother, a good grandmother though, on her cousins' side everything was ok, but when my mother was around 55, half of her cousins had lost everything, castles, properties, and were living in social housing in Paris, one of them was a race car driver, he never made it, was racing formula 3000 I think, sure enough every race he would brake the motor or something else, so every race was a huge loss as he didn't have spotnsors, at the age of 40 he was renting a room in a barn on a guy's farm 70km from Paris, he had lost everything, of course up until 35 he had a dream life of luxury and beautiful women, but from 35 onwards it was just pathetic. So all this to say it's great to have passions, just try to keep a clear and open mind about it, understand you don't really need any of this, it gives pleasure great, but if it's to have pleasure and regret it hugely later or live like crap, no thanks, when you say 25% of your net worth that kinda worries me, all different passions put together, as you have a few, I wouldn't go over 15%, and that is a huge tops, 5-10 would be better IMO, at least try to invest in things that will have a certain resale value if ever you need cash, and always do your research for the best price possible.

Anyways be careful and try to take your time and enjoy your 5167, having more watches is not a sure thing to be happier, when I had 9 I wasn't happy, use to wear the same 2-3 all the time and never the others, you talk about a PP PC, but will you wear it or will you just have it and not wear it, just collecting, in this case I would try to contain my collector DNA and get a 5711 or 5712 for example, a fine watch that you can wear easily.

And don't apologize for your post being too personal, I react the same way as you, I will never meet in person 99.9999999999999% of the guys on the forum, so I'm actually more personal and open here than in real life, so this was very personal but wanted to make you understand my point of view and experience, especially about people having a lot and finishing in poverty, and the way I handle this, I probably am about to invest more than I should in watches, well not if I only get the 2 incoming Pateks, even if a 3rd watch, but if I get the 4th watch I am considering that will be a lot of money in watches, but it's not money which we will miss to eat, for my son to dress nicely, to pay for his school, for holidays, so basically wether I put this money in watches, or leave it in the bank it will have no real change on our lives, oh and also no financing, I almost borrowed money from a friend to get a piece one time, but instead I waited 6 months and got it then, you need to be careful as the rush of buying things is like gambling or drugs/alcoohol, it's nice but it can quickly get out of control...

Good luck
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 05:33 PM   #28
KarlS
Banned

0.25% not 25%!
Old 26 May 2016, 05:55 PM   #29
Samui
Banned

Alford im sure you can afford
Samui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 06:16 PM   #30
Samui
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
0.25% not 25%!
.25% seems very low. It means that if a sub is the only watch he has then he is worth +$3M.
Samui is offline   Reply With Quote