The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 August 2017, 05:21 AM   #1
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Trade 5167 for 5711/1r questions

Hi guys. I've been trying to make up my mind on what to acquire next for a while now and have decided that the 5711/1r is the watch for sure. I've spoken with a few different grey dealers about pricing on new pieces so wanted to see what you all thought the correct market price is right now.

I've read many posts stating that PM pieces can be had at a 10-15% discount fairly easily from ADs but it seems like ADs do not like dealing with new customers that email them or phone them. I have had zero luck even getting in contact with a sales person from the closest AD in Memphis after four attempts so feel like the after sale service would be just as poor. That leaves me with what info I've gained by talking with a few different grey dealers.

I don't mind dealing with grey dealers that have a good rep here in the states at all and have bought a couple watches from them here on the forums. So in a round about way what I've been offered is between $13-14.5k for my watch and $31.5k-$33k cash which equals up to $46k on the best deal and $48k on the worst deal with a couple in between.

I know I could most likely sell my 5167 rubber strap for more than the highest trade in value of $14.5k as it is in good/great condition (no dents dings etc.. very minor wear except clasp desk diving hairlines) and dated July 2015. But, what I do not know at all is the 5711/1r market price from grey or ADs. All I know is what the listings on Chrono state and the few that have been listed here are "listed" at.

And, another kicker is that the best deal is from a grey dealer that I am fully confident making transactions with here who is also respected by many other members. I like the thought of negotiating and bargaining for an equally fair deal for both parties but at the same time since I am ignorant to actual sells prices my leveraging abilities are baseless. I don't want to haggle over a few hundred dollars with a dealer that I respect but at the same time I don't want to leave thousands on the table either so any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Any and all help would be great guys and if anyone wants to PM me or email me for any reason please do so.

Bests,
Alex
alford78atyahoo
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 05:28 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I'll leave the pricing info to those in the know but here is what I would do.

Sell the 5167A yourself here. Call around to every dealer in the country and find out who has one and start making offers. Make offers that are 10% below what trusted sellers are asking and see where it gets you. Phone is greatly preferred to email with Patek dealers. Nobody likes to put discounts in writing

Good luck
Old 9 August 2017, 06:28 AM   #3
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

Sell the 5167A yourself here. Call around to every dealer in the country and find out who has one and start making offers. Make offers that are 10% below what trusted sellers are asking and see where it gets you. Phone is greatly preferred to email with Patek dealers. Nobody likes to put discounts in writing

Good luck
Agree

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 07:24 AM   #4
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Good luck
I completely agree about the "in writing" which is why I've always called too. With my history purchasing electronics they always have me call for pricing so completely understand. I guess I just need to call them all lol.
Old 9 August 2017, 07:37 AM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alford78 View Post
I completely agree about the "in writing" which is why I've always called too. With my history purchasing electronics they always have me call for pricing so completely understand. I guess I just need to call them all lol.

You really do. I know it's a 5711 but it's a pricey gold Patek they will be eager to earn your business.

The first couple calls will be a touch awkward but once your on the 4-5-15th lol it becomes a fun game

Good luck to you
Old 9 August 2017, 09:03 AM   #6
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Good advice from Tom. I bought mine from an AD at a nice discount but I would buy from a trusted seller here now as prices are pretty firm in the UK, even on the RG Nautilus. PM them, I think Thanh and Addy616 often have the best prices.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 01:15 PM   #7
Sheldor
"TRF" Member

Hey Alex,

I happen to have a contact at the AD near you in Memphis and they were really great (was making the decision btw 5167 and 5711 and they called in prior customers who had those watches to show me in person).

Also, I happened to try on a 5711/1r recently at another dealer, so can give you info as well. I didn't get into pricing with them as I was inquiring about the list process for the blue/white 5711.

PM me if I can help at all.

R
Sheldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 04:05 AM   #8
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Inquiring about a watch over the phone or via email is tough, especially when it comes to Patek ADs. Many of them are still quite old fashioned and like face to face interactions. However there are many Patek ADs who struggle to move watches and they would be glad to sell you a watch and make a decent profit, rather than releasing it through the back door.

The 5711/1R is a very nice watch. I wouldn't say it's an extremely popular watch like some of the SS Nautilus. However with a retail price over $50K USD, it limits the number of people even shopping for such a watch.

Call some large ADs as well as some small ADs and see what their responses are like. Many salespeople want new clients and they aren't too many people asking for watches in the $50K+ range. The fact is that you are the one with the cash to spend and the salespeople are the ones who are working hard to make a sale. Keep this in mind when you are looking to purchase a Patek watch.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 07:38 AM   #9
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Figured I would go ahead and follow up on this just in case it may be useful for anyone else.

I did call around today just to get an idea of the prices I've been offered here and other grey dealers compared to a wide range of ADs and a few more grey dealers. I feel like my best option is to stick with the folks here not only for the prices but also to continue to build a relationship. I know it's not the same as building a relationship with an AD but I'm not a big enough spender to get the limited pieces that a relationship could offer. My grail is a Perp Cal Chrono and will be able to get that here as well.

I was surprised a couple of places had 2 year waiting lists for this piece though and some wouldn't even entertain the idea of selling it to someone not local.

I do see myself wanting the 5168 but can get on a list for it when the time comes I hope.
Old 10 August 2017, 07:50 AM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the follow up. Did you call them all?

I strongly suggest working with an AD if you are going to work your way up to grand comps. I think you'll be surprised at how quickly you can gain favor if you find the right AD.

Then again, our sellers here are great too but don't expect any favors when hard to get pieces come out down the line. It's just business.

Quote:
Figured I would go ahead and follow up on this just in case it may be useful for anyone else.

I did call around today just to get an idea of the prices I've been offered here and other grey dealers compared to a wide range of ADs and a few more grey dealers. I feel like my best option is to stick with the folks here not only for the prices but also to continue to build a relationship. I know it's not the same as building a relationship with an AD but I'm not a big enough spender to get the limited pieces that a relationship could offer. My grail is a Perp Cal Chrono and will be able to get that here as well.

I was surprised a couple of places had 2 year waiting lists for this piece though and some wouldn't even entertain the idea of selling it to someone not local.

I do see myself wanting the 5168 but can get on a list for it when the time comes I hope.
Old 10 August 2017, 08:19 AM   #11
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the follow up. Did you call them all?

I strongly suggest working with an AD if you are going to work your way up to grand comps. I think you'll be surprised at how quickly you can gain favor if you find the right AD.

Then again, our sellers here are great too but don't expect any favors when hard to get pieces come out down the line. It's just business.
Yea I totally agree.

No I didn't call every AD but did call and talk to every one that wasn't in a major city plus a few in major cities. It really seems like the entire Nautilus line is just being bought up by people hoping it increases in value.

I do plan on trying to atleast make a trip down to the AD in Memphis just to see if they will be any better to work with in person than over the phone. It could be an opertunity to get on the list for a 5168. If it doesn't seem like worth continuing with them then maybe I'll try the next closest. I honestly don't know of a better plan when speaking of ADs. I previously had a good relationship with a Rolex AD but they moved. I got in good with them by simply walking in and talking/purchasing. I've never even been into a PP AD before lol.
Old 10 August 2017, 08:23 AM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yea I totally agree.

No I didn't call every AD but did call and talk to every one that wasn't in a major city plus a few in major cities. It really seems like the entire Nautilus line is just being bought up by people hoping it increases in value.

I do plan on trying to atleast make a trip down to the AD in Memphis just to see if they will be any better to work with in person than over the phone. It could be an opertunity to get on the list for a 5168. If it doesn't seem like worth continuing with them then maybe I'll try the next closest. I honestly don't know of a better plan when speaking of ADs. I previously had a good relationship with a Rolex AD but they moved. I got in good with them by simply walking in and talking/purchasing. I've never even been into a PP AD before lol.
Good luck. I do agree that FaceTime goes a long way when initially establishing a relationship. Makes it tough when you don't have an AD to work with locally. I'm in the same boat

I'm pretty smitten with the 5168 as well...waiting to see where pricing ends up on those.