The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 3 January 2019, 05:28 AM   #1
AlexWazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Looking for some advice

So summer of '17 I got married and my wife and I both received a pair of wedding watches from her family (5327j for me and the 4948r for her). Fast forward to this past spring and I just finished my master's degree and I'll be starting a new position in about a week.

I'm looking for advice as to whether or not you would wear this watch to work if you were in my position, given that your supervisor probably has at least some knowledge of watches (he was wearing a ceramic Daytona when I met him). I figured many of you in this forum may be in some sort of management position or even own your own business so I'm wondering what your perspective would be like if a new hire came in wearing a PC (or any Patek really).

In general, I'm a modest, rather introverted type until I get to know someone and I don't want to put out a negative image to those above me. I could easily explain that it was a gift if it was brought up but I don't know if that would really change any (potentially negative) opinion.

My main predicament is that I adore this watch and love to wear it and I'd hate delegating it to a weekend only watch. My backup options would be a Mark XVIII or an AP 15450, I'd lean towards the AP as its much more comfortable to wear for a longer period of time.

Thanks!
AlexWazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 05:38 AM   #2
Jack Cassidy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
IMO a No Brainer. Wear it. Stop worrying what other people - including your new boss - think of your watches. This Patek - like most - is understated class, not a flashy 48 mm All Gold APP ROO or Hublot special diamond edition that flashes in your face as a rich sales person in front of a poor customer.

Relax man, it is about your taste and what you love. I would personally never ever accept a boss who judge me on what is on my wrist as opposed to on my performance.
Jack Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 05:39 AM   #3
GK-
"TRF" Member

Wear it!
GK- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 05:51 AM   #4
shortsqueeze
2024 Pledge Member

I wouldn't worry about what your manager thinks of your watch. Wear what you like and let his opinion of you be framed by your work ethic and your collegiality. Best of luck with the new job!
shortsqueeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 06:01 AM   #5
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Leave it at home for a couple of weeks and get a lay of the land. First impressions are important and this is your first job so you don't want to be stepping on anyone's toes or feeling insecure and watched, altho I do think it unlikely with that PP.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 06:04 AM   #6
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Leave it at home for a couple of weeks and get a lay of the land. First impressions are important and this is your first job so you don't want to be stepping on anyone's toes or feeling insecure and watched, altho I do think it unlikely with that PP.

^^this - 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 06:04 AM   #7
turboevo2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT2C
I say wear a few times to work first and see how you feel. Once you feel comfortable wearing it to work then wear it everyday. I have same reservation also since I changed jobs.
turboevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 06:10 AM   #8
Chief Chininki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5712/1a
If your direct report wears a ceramic Daytona, there is a 50% chance that he is a WIS...if he is not a WIS, he won’t notice your watch. However if he is, he may perceive you as a rich kid of instagram and you have to ensure to conduct yourself to prove any negative perceptions to be wrong. A watch like this represents a mark of achievement, as such I would refrain from wearing it in a work setting until you make your first 6 figure bonus...
Chief Chininki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 06:10 AM   #9
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Does your new job require you to wear short sleeves? If not, then unless you wear short cuffs, few will ever see your watch. Wear it and don't worry. Few if any of your colleagues will care about your watch, much less know what it is.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 06:22 AM   #10
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Wear it. Odds are most won't notice or know what it is. IF someone ask, the story of how you got it is great.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 07:26 AM   #11
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I'd wear it.....most Rolex owners have 0 clue about brands like Patek anyway.....probably slips right under the radar.....and yeah there's also the point that you wear the watch for yourself and not others.....if he makes assumptions/judgement on you based on the watch he wears....that's on him. Enjoy in good health.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 07:45 AM   #12
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
The AP 15450 is considerably more flashy. I would take the advice here and get the lay of the land and then wear the Patek.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 07:47 AM   #13
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Wear it the supervisor might start a watch conversation which could actually be beneficial for your relationship. You can mention it was a present etc etc.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 07:50 AM   #14
AlexWazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
The AP 15450 is considerably more flashy. I would take the advice here and get the lay of the land and then wear the Patek.
I agree, but it's realistic to believe that it was worked for in my case and not just given.
AlexWazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 08:01 AM   #15
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
More important question...does she have a sister and is she single?

As others have said get the lay of the land but I wouldn't be afraid to wear it after the first couple weeks. I've worked in management roles in large publicly traded financial services firms as well as being a partner in my own firm and I would never make up my opinion about a person based on a watch. Performance and how you treat others is far more important. The patek does show you have nice taste in watches and so does your wife's family.

I've only once been called out about my watch. It was one of the C-level execs at the publicly traded financial services firm. I was wearing a Panerai and he looked at me and half jokingly said said "we must be paying you too much". Continued to wear all of my watches without issue.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 09:07 AM   #16
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

It really depends on your field. If you have a MS in engineering, it is quite different from having a MBA from a top 10 program and being around other high achievers, who will want you to know where you stand in the pecking order.

People probably judge you more on the car you drive than your watch at least in the US. In Europe, they may see what kind of watch you wear as they have a different culture there.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 09:19 AM   #17
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post

This here is very sound advice and exactly what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 January 2019, 10:09 AM   #18
Rsdecker971
"TRF" Member

90k on your wrist. Is that appropriate for the position that you just accepted?

Also I would never rock up with a more expensive watch than my boss. Daytona is a great watch, but he paid something like 50% of the cost of that 5327j. If he is a one watch guy, red lights would be flashing for me.

Be cautious. I absolutely believe that you should wear it to the office, but how and when you introduce it needs to be fully considered.
Rsdecker971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 11:00 AM   #19
wulin
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AP,Rolex,IWC
Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Chininki View Post
If your direct report wears a ceramic Daytona, there is a 50% chance that he is a WIS...if he is not a WIS, he won’t notice your watch. However if he is, he may perceive you as a rich kid of instagram and you have to ensure to conduct yourself to prove any negative perceptions to be wrong. A watch like this represents a mark of achievement, as such I would refrain from wearing it in a work setting until you make your first 6 figure bonus...
I would say there is a 90% chance he is a WIS
wulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 11:04 AM   #20
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
If I were employing you I would have already made my evaluation and a watch would not change it.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 11:16 AM   #21
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
I think there's some serious overthinking here. Then again, this is TRF. Most won't know or care what watch you are wearing in the office. Those few who are into watches may ask what it is, and then you can tell them your great story. If you do work in an office where watch status is measured, and you likely wont know this going in and you're concerned your office might be like this, not wearing it for the first few weeks will see you right.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 12:07 PM   #22
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

There is a chance your boss is reading this :-)

If you wear long sleeve to work, I would say wear it. No one will notice it. If you wear short sleeve, I wouldn’t, at least not for the first couple months as people start forming impressions of new colleague. My experience is that: people DO look at your watch. They may not say anything and some may not know the brand you’re wearing, but they can tell it is a ‘nice’ watch - being in alligator strap and gold color...
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 12:14 PM   #23
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

It's not like it's a Nautilus. Go for it! BTW, damn fine in-laws you have there!
Old 3 January 2019, 12:30 PM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
This is why I don’t have a boss lol

I’d probably wear the iwc for a bit and get a better feel. You could even compliment your bosses cool watch if the time is right and based on his response you’ll know how much he knows about watches.
Old 3 January 2019, 12:46 PM   #25
Jonbut76
"TRF" Member

Suggest you get the lay of the land first as suggested by others already. You’d be surprised how many people can recognise a fancy watch especially precious metal. People talk and you won’t be able to tell your story to everyone.

I would just wear a middle of the road watch indicative of your position/age for a couple weeks and see how you go.

Good luck, happy new year and wish you much success in your new job!
Jonbut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 12:46 PM   #26
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I agree with most of the above in saying to gauge the scene and go with your feel on when it’s right to bring out!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 12:49 PM   #27
kearez
"TRF" Member

Agree with everyone here get the lay of the land then decide if your going to wear it. I did the same with my Datejust, now I just wear an Apple Watch to work.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 01:20 PM   #28
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I’d just wear it.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 01:29 PM   #29
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I like to do
With the likes of your wedding gift (+$150k!), it comes across that you married more money in 5 minutes than you could make in a lifetime. Why are you worried what any fellow colleague would think? Sounds like you’re on track for an early retirement ... just working for fun. Good for you!
Old 3 January 2019, 03:28 PM   #30
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbut76 View Post
Suggest you get the lay of the land first as suggested by others already. You’d be surprised how many people can recognise a fancy watch especially precious metal. People talk and you won’t be able to tell your story to everyone.

I would just wear a middle of the road watch indicative of your position/age for a couple weeks and see how you go.

Good luck, happy new year and wish you much success in your new job!
Yep , on a new position, I want everything 100% in my favor. I would not take even the slightest chance of causing any kind of a problem. People can say “it’s on him” all they want but I’ve got news for them, it may well be on you if you wear that beauty before you develop a rapor with the flocks there. It is not worth the risk. Don’t wear an AP either - too showy.Be patient and get to know them wear a middle of the road piece - maybe an Omega.
Congratulations on your new marriage and career. What special parents your lady must have - treat them well- and her too :-). BTW I have a 5327 G I dearly love. Came w a really neat cylinder winder- you will enjoy it for years and years to come - especially since your gracious dad in law got it for you. Wish you a great and prosperous marriage. :-)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote