The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 May 2024, 10:02 PM   #1
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

New Expensive Hobby...Guitar

Tapped out on spending on watches for at least a few years and ready to enjoy what I have.

But now, have decided to pursue guitar -- been having the itch for a few years.

Dabbled in bass about ~20 years ago (was not good...), so basically starting from scratch.

Any tips to a newbie welcome.

Oh, and I got convinced to jump in the deep in and went with a Gibson Les Paul Standard 60s Bourbon Burst...
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 10:15 PM   #2
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
I've always been more of a old Fender bass guy but have owned Gibson, Hagstom, Dean, Gretsch, Travis Bean, Kramer, Danelectro, Jerry Jones, Ampeg, Warmoth, G&L, Regal, Yamaha, Guild, Lakland, to name a few.

Really depends on your type of music & personal taste. A Gibson Les Paul is a great start. A Tele and/ or Strat would be nice additions. It all goes downhill from there.

And we haven't even started talking acoustics.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 10:20 PM   #3
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

The Gibson felt nice with the slimmer neck and I believe shorter scale vs the fender. Initially I was assuming I start with a strat, but instead ended up spending way more...

Now just have to work on getting these small-ish hands to cooperate
Old 8 May 2024, 10:31 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I can’t help with bass guitar, about all I know how to do is chord and play campfire stuff on an acoustic …

What I can say, is that some of the best times I’ve spent are singing and playing along with friends around a cottage campfire.

Enjoy the new found interest
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 10:37 PM   #5
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I can’t help with bass guitar, about all I know how to do is chord and play campfire stuff on an acoustic …

What I can say, is that some of the best times I’ve spent are singing and playing along with friends around a cottage campfire.

Enjoy the new found interest
Ah, sorry if unclear.

I’m doing electric guitar this time around, not bass. Just a bit of bass was my only previous experience.
Old 8 May 2024, 10:38 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerlsu2008 View Post
Ah, sorry if unclear.

I’m doing electric guitar this time around, not bass. Just a bit of bass was my only previous experience.

I hope you enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 10:51 PM   #7
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
When my sweetheart mentioned she wanted, 'Les Paul', for Christmas, I was worried because I don't know much about guitars. Then she clarified and said the kind with two s's.
Old 8 May 2024, 11:54 PM   #8
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
I bought a Yamaha Sunburst , I learnt by watching a YouTube tutorial by Justin Guitar an Australian that broke it all down fantastically for me ..

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 03:33 AM   #9
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Collecting, playing or both?

If playing (but with a possible future market for collectible) I strongly suggest MusicMan guitars. I only have one (a Petrucci Majesty BFR) but easily the nicest guitar I’ve ever played. My other electric guitars are mostly American made PRS and Strats.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 03:53 AM   #10
BigJim67
"TRF" Member

www.thegearpage.net

Fun place, lotsa knowledge.

Started paying when I was 12, playing in bands since 11th grade, such a fun hobby!
BigJim67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 03:58 AM   #11
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBold View Post
Collecting, playing or both?

If playing (but with a possible future market for collectible) I strongly suggest MusicMan guitars. I only have one (a Petrucci Majesty BFR) but easily the nicest guitar I’ve ever played. My other electric guitars are mostly American made PRS and Strats.
Playing -- don't see myself collecting guitars. But then again...could see that changing one day if I really get into it.
Old 9 May 2024, 05:14 AM   #12
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Tapped out on spending on watches for at least a few years and ready to enjoy what I have.

But now, have decided to pursue guitar -- been having the itch for a few years.

Dabbled in bass about ~20 years ago (was not good...), so basically starting from scratch.

Any tips to a newbie welcome.

Oh, and I got convinced to jump in the deep in and went with a Gibson Les Paul Standard 60s Bourbon Burst...

Yeah, the guitars, the amps, the pedals…

That’s all going to add up…$$$$$$$$

Probably a lot more fun than watch collecting though…if you can play…

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 05:48 AM   #13
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Icon19

Quote:
Playing -- don't see myself collecting guitars. But then again...could see that changing one day if I really get into it.
Any strong preference in terms of musical genre?

I play most genres. Exception is country (though there are some great players).

My advice is to immediately start with the genre you enjoy listening to or have an active interest in learning to play. If that means bebop jazz, neoclassical metal or prog metal… so be it (and good luck!)

If you are passionate about the music, the ability (through practice) should follow. Just have realistic expectations and enjoy the journey.

Btw, if you have a preference for style / type of music already, I also suggest considering emulating the gear choice to at least some degree of your favorite players in that style.

If you have diverse interest, then it comes down to budget… I am not budget constrained for guitars (unlike some other instruments, you can build a pro-level rig for a few thousand dollars). I can cover virtually all my interests with three amps (Mesa triple rectifier, Fender Twin and Roland JC120), some pedals and a few electrics.

If you go digital with the amp, you can cover it all with one.

Enjoy!
Old 9 May 2024, 06:34 AM   #14
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
When my sweetheart mentioned she wanted, 'Les Paul', for Christmas, I was worried because I don't know much about guitars. Then she clarified and said the kind with two s's.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 09:08 AM   #15
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

A Les Paul is a great guitar.

Yes, you can spend a lot of $ in the guitar world, but I think it's still cheaper than watches. Enjoy.

(I have quite a few)
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 11:54 AM   #16
golftime
"TRF" Member

I can identify with this thread. I played lots of electric and some acoustic guitar as a kid, but that was many, many years ago. I still love music, mostly rock, and from time to time I look at the guitar market. I have friends who play and the one thing I have learned is everyone has different favorites and there is a lot to choose from. Whew, this could get expensive!

In addition to the old favs like the Strats and the Les Pauls, there are newer names such as Ibanez and PRS and others that are excellent as well. The biggest issue for me is I know to get back into it, hoping to get even close to where I was at one time, would require a pretty big commitment as far as practice. My friends who still play tell me they pick up a guitar pretty much every day.
golftime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 04:11 PM   #17
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Nice work getting a Les Paul Standard. What amp are you using? If nothing yet, my advice is to find an old silverface Fender combo, and don’t worry about an old Twin Reverb being too big (if it’s staying at home and there’s space) or too loud, as they sound beautiful even at low volume.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 06:50 PM   #18
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
Just bought myself a new Fender Precision Vintera in Dakota Red and a Fender Stratocaster Vintera in Seafoam Green.
A bit like Dan Pierce i am a Fender lover but do like Rickenbacker basses and Warwick are ok. Our band Spirit of Memphis is all Fender guitars and all Fender Amplification.
Old 10 May 2024, 12:25 AM   #19
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
You got the Les Paul, now all you need is the Marshall Half Stack.

I learn a lot of stuff from You Tube. If you’re into the Beatles, Mike Patchelli is excellent. Also check out 12 Ft Chain for classic 60’s RnR.

Practice everyday! Good luck
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 03:24 AM   #20
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post

Ha! Love it.

austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 07:03 AM   #21
rjd1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Can't pick just 1
My other obsession - have been playing 45 years and though I consider myself primarily a player, my collection is now up to just shy of 60 guitars. New Guitar Days are equally fun as New Watch Days. I’ve owned a bit of everything over the years - hundreds of guitars - but at the end of the day, I’m a Les Paul guy too. Enjoy!
rjd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 04:50 PM   #22
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd1 View Post
My other obsession - have been playing 45 years and though I consider myself primarily a player, my collection is now up to just shy of 60 guitars.
Blimey. Which is your favourite guitar? Are you a fan of the (IMO unfairly maligned) Norlin-era Gibsons?
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 10:12 PM   #23
DougUSMC

Watch: 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd1 View Post
My other obsession - have been playing 45 years and though I consider myself primarily a player, my collection is now up to just shy of 60 guitars. New Guitar Days are equally fun as New Watch Days. I’ve owned a bit of everything over the years - hundreds of guitars - but at the end of the day, I’m a Les Paul guy too. Enjoy!
Hear, hear!!

I'd argue that there's no difference between the two. As a lefty, it's even trickier for me to find some guitars, so very few "come and go". Once they're in the collection they tend to stay.

Also a LP guy here, usually teamed up with a Marshall or a Two Rock. Though I will say I love a PRS for some things, Fender for others, and almost anything else in between.

Then there are times I only pick up one of my acoustics for months on end.

I'd be careful of calling the LP "the deep end", because once you really start looking you'll see it's dipping your toe into the big kids pool. My newest acoustic (Lowden) wasn't priced all that differently than my Sea Dweller.
DougUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 03:15 AM   #24
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
I went through my guitar phase (aka GAS, Guitar Aquisition Syndrome) about 15 years ago during the peak of the vintage guitar craze. I never actually acquired an actual vintage guitar (due to ridiculous prices at the time), but did get many fine custom shop reproductions from Gibson, Fender and Martin. I'd have to say my favorite is a '57 Gibson Custom Shop gold top Les Paul. Very easy to play (shorter scale/less string tension) with great tone. My favorite Fender Custom Shop guitar is an early 50's Nocaster with Abby pickups. Finally my favorite Martin is a full mahogany D-15, which is one of their less expensive guitars, but has incredible warm tone. Also too many amps & pedals to list. It probably is more fun than watches to be honest. If you can find that one magic guitar that sings to you, you really don't need anymore. Cheers.
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 05:25 AM   #25
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Does anyone make a high-quality handcrafted instrument to your spec guitar? Nothing against off-the-shelf and vintage stuff, but wouldn't something custom be a goal too?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 06:13 AM   #26
DougUSMC

Watch: 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Does anyone make a high-quality handcrafted instrument to your spec guitar? Nothing against off-the-shelf and vintage stuff, but wouldn't something custom be a goal too?
I have "a few", I tell myself it's "because I don't have a lot of options otherwise, as a lefty"

The first was a PRS Private Stock Hollowbody II, that really set the bar for all others to follow.

Next was a Les Paul 59 reissue Made to Measure

Then a Fender Custom shop strat

A Lowden ancient bog oak Wee Lowden

Now waiting on another Les Paul, 58 reissue this time.

They all do their own thing.
DougUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 07:30 AM   #27
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^

well-played.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 01:44 PM   #28
elau1958
"TRF" Member

Guitar is just about as expensive as watches, at least in the entry level watches. I have an original Epiphone that my Dad gifted me back in the early '70s when they were still manufactured in Japan. Play it my entire adult life but four years ago I got into buying new guitars. Added to my collection since is two Taylors, one acoustic and one electric, an Epiphone electric and one Fender Telecasters. The two Taylors cost an arm and a leg so I know collecting guitars is definitely not for the faint of heart. Now I am after a PRS that is made right here in Annapolis and it will easily set me back a 5-figure price tag. But the workmanship is so worth it and when I do buy one, I seriously doubt it will ever be played. Most likely be in a glass case hanging on the wall.
elau1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 01:14 AM   #29
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by elau1958 View Post
Guitar is just about as expensive as watches, at least in the entry level watches. I have an original Epiphone that my Dad gifted me back in the early '70s when they were still manufactured in Japan. Play it my entire adult life but four years ago I got into buying new guitars. Added to my collection since is two Taylors, one acoustic and one electric, an Epiphone electric and one Fender Telecasters. The two Taylors cost an arm and a leg so I know collecting guitars is definitely not for the faint of heart. Now I am after a PRS that is made right here in Annapolis and it will easily set me back a 5-figure price tag. But the workmanship is so worth it and when I do buy one, I seriously doubt it will ever be played. Most likely be in a glass case hanging on the wall.
I agree guitars can get expensive and somewhat addictive. Sounds like you have a nice collection. The thing about guitars is that search for an elusive tone which provides a much deeper emotional connection than other forms of collecting. Also guitars are a form of art. I never got into the exotic boutique guitars with rare tonewoods and am happy with major brand custom shop offerings. Guitars are really a fun hobby and I love visiting music shops more than Rolex ADs....ha! Cheers
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 02:48 PM   #30
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

The tone is in the fingers. At least most of it once you get solid gear.