The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 20 May 2019, 02:21 AM   #1
chmk
"TRF" Member

AP defective service and turnaround

I sent my watch off for service (it was less than a year old and had already started to run extremely slow and wouldn't keep time), and it was prompty returned within 4 weeks of service. However, within a few days, the chrono stopped working and the watch's rate was inaccurate, far outside the boundaries of the tolerance. It is clear that a service again will be needed... does anyone have any experience with situations like this? Will AP again take the estimated 4 weeks of service, or given that it is their fault for an initial defective service and I have only had the watch back for a week, will they try their best to expedite the process?
Old 20 May 2019, 05:09 AM   #2
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
So your first post here despite owning an AP, altho which we can only guess at, for maybe a year, is to ask if they will fix the watch in 4 weeks or 2 weeks? Just send it in and don't worry about a few days. When the watch comes back introduce yourself properly and with some watch details and pics.
Old 20 May 2019, 06:17 AM   #3
leisen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmk View Post
I sent my watch off for service (it was less than a year old and had already started to run extremely slow and wouldn't keep time), and it was prompty returned within 4 weeks of service. However, within a few days, the chrono stopped working and the watch's rate was inaccurate, far outside the boundaries of the tolerance. It is clear that a service again will be needed... does anyone have any experience with situations like this? Will AP again take the estimated 4 weeks of service, or given that it is their fault for an initial defective service and I have only had the watch back for a week, will they try their best to expedite the process?
Something similar happened to me with a Royal Oak (no chrono). Once at home, after a full service, did not start. I had to shake it every time and it started going. Had to be returned to AP. They deeply apologized and promised that they would give priority to the repair. Back at home in less than 4 weeks.
Old 20 May 2019, 08:21 AM   #4
chmk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisen View Post
Something similar happened to me with a Royal Oak (no chrono). Once at home, after a full service, did not start. I had to shake it every time and it started going. Had to be returned to AP. They deeply apologized and promised that they would give priority to the repair. Back at home in less than 4 weeks.
Thanks for the advice - I have a meeting with their ‘head office’ (as they called it) in a few days so will see then, but this is a useful indication of service times and customer service in the meanwhile!
Old 20 May 2019, 10:03 AM   #5
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I am sure they will expedite it for you. Are you dealing directly with the AP lounge in London ?

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 20 May 2019, 10:47 AM   #6
chmk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
I am sure they will expedite it for you. Are you dealing directly with the AP lounge in London ?
Yep! Here’s to hoping they’ll expedite it - the watch is my daily beater and being without it for 4-5 weeks was already annoying
Old 20 May 2019, 03:30 PM   #7
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
4 weeks already sounds expedited to me, send it back and tell them to take their time. As you’ve had a problem and if you’re dealing with the boutique (not an AD) you may well get a nice gift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 May 2019, 03:33 PM   #8
AshAP
"TRF" Member

I just noticed that you’re in the UK, is your meeting at Brooks Mews? In my experience they are very good there and will go out of their way to put it right.

Old 20 May 2019, 06:24 PM   #9
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
So your first post here despite owning an AP, altho which we can only guess at, for maybe a year, is to ask if they will fix the watch in 4 weeks or 2 weeks? Just send it in and don't worry about a few days. When the watch comes back introduce yourself properly and with some watch details and pics.
What’s with the curmudgeonly post... did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?
And what’s that introduction nonsense about?
Are you newly single and trying to turn this place into a pseudo dating site?
Instead of GSH (good sense of humour), will acronyms like GSC (good solid collection) be used in one’s profile?
Old 20 May 2019, 06:31 PM   #10
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Yep! Here’s to hoping they’ll expedite it - the watch is my daily beater and being without it for 4-5 weeks was already annoying
You could use this as an excuse (not that one is ever needed) to buy something to fill the daily beater void, then it doesn’t matter if APSC takes longer to turn it around.
£2-4K should get you something pre-owned that you’ll be happy to keep and maybe even rotate with the AP.
Old 20 May 2019, 07:55 PM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
What’s with the curmudgeonly post... did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?
And what’s that introduction nonsense about?
Are you newly single and trying to turn this place into a pseudo dating site?
Instead of GSH (good sense of humour), will acronyms like GSC (good solid collection) be used in one’s profile?
Pot calling kettle black, old boy. I just don't like guys who don't post an incoming or anything positive and then join this forum just for a complaint, esp when they give no details of their watch either so it is all negative.
Old 20 May 2019, 10:27 PM   #12
PJ S
Banned

^
Everyone knows I’m the site’s curmudgeon... you, on the other hand, not so much.
That aside, you’ve got to remember whilst we may all share the same hobby/passion, everyone’s different about how they use the forum.
To that end, whether a first or five hundredth post, his “complaint” is a legitimate concern/query nonetheless, and seeking input from those who may’ve been through a similar experience.
Lack of watch details is immaterial, but could be as simple as never thought to mention it or doesn’t know the exact reference, and can’t post links or photos yet.
Old 20 May 2019, 11:28 PM   #13
chmk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
4 weeks already sounds expedited to me, send it back and tell them to take their time. As you’ve had a problem and if you’re dealing with the boutique (not an AD) you may well get a nice gift.

Thanks for the advice - any cool stuff/merch I should ask/look out for?
And yes it’s at brooks mews
Old 20 May 2019, 11:29 PM   #14
chmk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You could use this as an excuse (not that one is ever needed) to buy something to fill the daily beater void, then it doesn’t matter if APSC takes longer to turn it around.
£2-4K should get you something pre-owned that you’ll be happy to keep and maybe even rotate with the AP.
I do have a few other pieces, including a 116520 Daytona, but the AP always seems to get the most wrist time!
Old 20 May 2019, 11:32 PM   #15
chmk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pot calling kettle black, old boy. I just don't like guys who don't post an incoming or anything positive and then join this forum just for a complaint, esp when they give no details of their watch either so it is all negative.
Hardly a complaint, merely me asking for advice ... have never seen this forum before so also did not know I needed to post a life bio (which I would have in any case considered narcissistic of myself to do)

Don’t see how details of the watch are relevant - do you want to know serial number, movement number, where it was bought ...?
Old 20 May 2019, 11:47 PM   #16
chmk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just noticed that you’re in the UK, is your meeting at Brooks Mews? In my experience they are very good there and will go out of their way to put it right.

Yep - brooks Mews. Thanks for the advice - any cool stuff/merch I should look out for?
Old 21 May 2019, 12:29 AM   #17
chmk
"TRF" Member

Quote:

reply isnt posting for some reason

thanks for the advice! yeh it is, any suggestions for what cool stuff/merch to look out for?
Old 21 May 2019, 05:22 AM   #18
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:

thanks for the advice! yeh it is, any suggestions for what cool stuff/merch to look out for?

The service travel case is nice, as are the caps.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 21 May 2019, 05:35 AM   #19
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It’s probably going to depend on a few factors: a friend of mine spent £170k in a couple of months at Brooks Mews and one of the chronos stopped working and had to go away to be repaired,

Old 21 May 2019, 05:42 AM   #20
AshAP
"TRF" Member

.....he didn’t complain about it and AP didn’t offer him anything. However a couple of months later he saw one of the gifts that they sometimes give so he asked for it and got it.

The point is that if you think your situation deserves a gift to put it right then you may have to ask. Also sometimes they genuinely don’t have anything available to give.

There is a range of gifts: baseball hat, key ring, watch travel case, pen, desk clock & Bluetooth speaker to list just a few items.

Old 21 May 2019, 06:01 AM   #21
AshAP
"TRF" Member

BTW, it’s your call but I personally wouldn’t go in there saying you’ve had a ‘defective’ service as that just pisses people off. You’ve been unlucky that’s all but they’ll be sorry that the service is having to be repeated as it doesn’t look great.

Old 21 May 2019, 07:15 AM   #22
PJ S
Banned

^
Huh?!
What exactly has the OP been unlucky with?
Why is the service having to be repeated?
Call a spade a spade, and stop tiptoing around the fact that it’s a spade!
It’s a £20K+ watch that has now managed to shit itself twice... should the OP doff his cap, bow his head, and apologise for troubling them?
Who do you think deserves the right to be more pissed off.. him or the staff whom part of the profits he’s given AP has granted them their employment opportunity?
Old 21 May 2019, 07:21 AM   #23
AshAP
"TRF" Member

It’s a material possession and in the scheme of things it’s unimportant so in my view he’s been unlucky on this occasion.

Old 21 May 2019, 09:27 AM   #24
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
^
Everyone knows I’m the site’s curmudgeon... you, on the other hand, not so much.
That aside, you’ve got to remember whilst we may all share the same hobby/passion, everyone’s different about how they use the forum.
To that end, whether a first or five hundredth post, his “complaint” is a legitimate concern/query nonetheless, and seeking input from those who may’ve been through a similar experience.
Lack of watch details is immaterial, but could be as simple as never thought to mention it or doesn’t know the exact reference, and can’t post links or photos yet.
I stand by my post and attitude which is to keep the forum positive and to not encourage people to just join a forum to complain or reveal bad experiences. Yes there is a case for it, but I don't have to like it and I don't, the downfall of 90% of the internet is negativity and bitching, so I'll always rally against it.
Old 21 May 2019, 09:51 PM   #25
chmk
"TRF" Member

Went and saw the head office today. The watchmaker confirmed what I thought - the rate of the watch was outside spec (+13/s a day on average) which definitely was not acceptable given that it had just been serviced (at new it ran on +2/3s a day). Taking into account the oft touted 5-12 days testing during service I’m frankly amazed that this managed to slip through the cracks. Whilst the chronograph module was fine, it was thought that the intermittent issue was the pushers not responding - so they too had to be replaced. In any event, a complete maintenance service should identify and replace all the defective parts.

Given that it had already been serviced and nonetheless required another again anyway, head office promised to ask the workshop to push it to the top of priority, but again couldn’t promise anything. Here’s to hoping the work takes less than 4 weeks.

On the goodies tread I asked for a loupe, and they said they’d speak to marketing about it for me since they didn’t have one to give at the moment.

Best I could have hoped for given the circumstances I guess ... I know it’s comparing apples and oranges but have to say that this has given me ab extra appreciation for Rolex. COSC certified I know, but my Daytona has run like a dream for the past 4 years, gaining less than 2 seconds a day, and the chronograph can at least withstand normal wear and tear.
Old 21 May 2019, 10:14 PM   #26
AshAP
"TRF" Member

^^^^^
Sorry you feel that way, a car analogy would possibly to think of your Rolex as a Porsche and your AP as a Ferrari. Maybe AP isn’t for you.

Old 13 June 2019, 02:26 AM   #27
chmk
"TRF" Member

So In what has to be the biggest load of bullshit back-

I finally got my watch back - the chrono now works again and the rate is more accurate at 7/s a day instead of 13. They apologized profusely for the faulty first service and it seemed that all was good after that second service.

Today, the day after I got the watch back, I realised that during service they had managed to rub off one of the second markers. Literally how is that possible? Obviously the watch is going to have to be sent back for the THIRD TIME - and it’s less than 1 years old.

I obviously am very upset and think that at this price point this should NEVER have happened. Is there anything I should ask for/that can be done? Having spent 20 grand on a watch I didn’t expect it to break, then get fixed, then break again, then get fixed, then be faulty again.

Not to be dramatic, but I am seriously considering demanding a refund or threatening legal action. This should never have happened.

Photos attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F3417F51-0DC2-4334-A808-586AA55E3B19.jpeg (19.2 KB, 429 views)
Old 13 June 2019, 03:43 AM   #28
PJ S
Banned

That’ll need replaced – it’s printed. As such, bar a very steady hand and template, it’ll be easier and quicker to just swap it out.
Brings into question the level of QC being employed – single inspection by the watch assembler, or subsequent inspection by a second set of eyes. Whatever the setup is, it’s poor form, and maybe with AP’s march towards the magical Billion mark, they should be spending some of that on cameras and software in order to prevent such issues being missed.

Patek did something similar a few years ago, with a member’s white 5711, so it seems to be a Trinity trait… just waiting on Vacheron to make it a hat-trick now, assuming they haven’t already.

Regarding your legal position, remember your contract is with the seller, not the manufacturer, so it’ll be them you’d need to have the discussion with.
Your case may be strong in respect of the fact this will now be the third repair (but not the same issue).
If the watch is under six months old, then you are entitled to a full refund.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...ed-or-repaired
Old 13 June 2019, 05:25 AM   #29
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Looks like you are having a terrible time with AP, I just hope you are not behaving in a way that is encouraging them to mess with you, you know my thoughts on your approach to things.
Old 13 June 2019, 12:03 PM   #30
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Quote:
Looks like you are having a terrible time with AP, I just hope you are not behaving in a way that is encouraging them to mess with you, you know my thoughts on your approach to things.
I have a hard time believing that the service department would intentionally mess up a dial to "mess" with someone. I had this exact same thing happen to me with APSC in the US a couple years ago when I sent my ROC in for service and they scratched one of the hashes off the running second sub-dial. Had to send it back to them and they replaced the dial for free. Unfortunately, this can happen but it was very frustrating nonetheless.

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
Closed Thread