The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 25 March 2020, 08:54 AM   #3751
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Airborne for close to 8h
Influenza,sneezing .6 meters
Covid 19,not sneezing .2 meters

Corona virus survives on surfaces for days ,also in faeces and urine .
Wash your hands often/hand sanitizer and what is not emphasized in the media enough ,DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE,NOSE,MOUTH AND EYES .

Point of interest ,measles can float around in air for 7 days ,BUT we have a vaccine ,so what .
Doc, I am trying to understand the conflicting reports regarding viability time in the air.

Any thoughts on this article?

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/...t-mean-doomed/

Stay safe.
Old 25 March 2020, 08:56 AM   #3752
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg2 View Post
Mecklenburg county (Charlotte, NC) just issued a stay at home order starting Thursday AM.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...241459066.html
Saw that. Wish it was uniform thought the state. Would make work easier.

Stay safe.
Old 25 March 2020, 09:13 AM   #3753
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Please don’t leave.

Appreciate your opinions.
Absolutely
Old 25 March 2020, 09:17 AM   #3754
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Doc, I am trying to understand the conflicting reports regarding viability time in the air.

That was also why I asked when I saw this in his post:

Quote:
Airborne for close to 8h
Influenza, sneezing .6 meters
Covid 19, not sneezing .2 meters
All of our experts have been stating up to 2 meters for social distancing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 25 March 2020, 09:19 AM   #3755
Star Ferry
Banned

I get his frustration because it's an online forum, not a peer reviewed journal. do doctors cite sources when giving patients their medical opinion? not usually. were all of the doctors here asked for supporting cites? no.
Old 25 March 2020, 09:20 AM   #3756
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Please don’t leave.

Appreciate your opinions.

I agree Seth - I like informed opinions.

But should we bow to misinformation no matter the number of degrees?

Old 25 March 2020, 09:29 AM   #3757
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I get his frustration because it's an online forum, not a peer reviewed journal. do doctors cite sources when giving patients their medical opinion? not usually. were all of the doctors here asked for supporting cites? no.

To clarify, take a look at the info being posted...

Quote:
Airborne for close to 8h
Influenza, sneezing .6 meters
Covid 19, not sneezing .2 meters
It seemed better to ask for a citation than any direct confrontational challenge.

The info he posted is just wrong.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17542834/

A sneeze expels well beyond 24” (the .6 meters). And nobody has a study that COVID-19 is safe around asymptomatic PUI’s at 8 inches (the .2 meters)

Old 25 March 2020, 09:29 AM   #3758
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I agree Seth - I like informed opinions.

But should we bow to misinformation no matter the number of degrees?

Appreciate you Paul.

But I get his frustration.

It genuinely feels as though certain members have an agenda. And they are pushing it at all costs.

Even to the point of hypocrisy. This guy clearly has significant knowledge. My own doctor, who’s husband is on the front lines in Teaneck, NJ gave me a whole real life update. I didn’t provide it here out of fear of getting major pushback.

Personally, I’ve admitted I was wrong and I’ve learned a lot. It’s okay to be wrong. It’s how we learn and grow.

I’ve been staying away from this thread for a reason though. It’s in itself somewhat toxic.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 25 March 2020, 09:31 AM   #3759
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post

Any thoughts on this article?

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/...t-mean-doomed/

Stay safe.
I’m a MD as well. Current thinking is that COVID is transmitted by droplets but that it can become airborne with aerosolizing procedures (which is true for many viruses) - things like intubations, high flow oxygen. And for that matter maybe even a strong cough at close range. We don’t have enough data to say definitively yet. But for the pursposes or social distancing, if you keep distance and aren’t in the line of fire doing intubations, droplet precautions is still the thinking for safety... but things could change as more data becomes available.
Old 25 March 2020, 09:33 AM   #3760
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
sure did, the one where he was sitting in front of a massive stack of ppe in the javitz center that was converted to be an overflow hospital, every day I watch him and I personally think he's doing a fantastic job (but again lets refrain from politics) and his tone for sure changed today, hes describing what they are projecting COULD happen, not what has happened

I live basically in "ground zero" and I have not seen these dire circumstances that people are saying is happening, not to say they won't, but to say that they are happening is a lie

I take all this very serous, but what is being implied on this thread as fact just isn't.

and if none of this gets out of hand (like 140K beds needed) and the doomsday predictions dont happen who is then considered the heros......

its time to take a break from this thread

steve
In Emergency Medicine, it's generally not a good idea to wait for the worst, then try to come up with a plan and equipment to handle it, be it a single cardiac arrest patient or truckloads of sick or injured people. That's how people die.

So, to have timelines from other countries and trends developing here and NOT act on them would be immoral and unconscionable. Authorities and providers must be ready for the worst and hope for the best. and if 140,000 beds AREN'T needed, most people would see that as a good thing, not an "I told you so" moment like you seem to anticipate.
Old 25 March 2020, 09:34 AM   #3761
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Personally, I’ve admitted I was wrong and I’ve learned a lot. It’s okay to be wrong. It’s how we learn and grow.

Agree - my theory in groups is “No one of us is as smart as all of us.”

Old 25 March 2020, 09:35 AM   #3762
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Agree - my theory in groups is “No one of us is as smart as all of us.”

Agree.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 25 March 2020, 09:35 AM   #3763
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
I've pretty much been asked for sources, which I have provided, for everything I've said in this thread. I'm glad my patients didn't demand sources before taking my advice in the ER for decades.
Old 25 March 2020, 09:39 AM   #3764
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
It seemed better to ask for a citation than any direct confrontational challenge.

The info he posted is just wrong.
I get that he may be wrong on certain facts. you disagreed and you backed it up with a source. Where I would draw the line is asking him to go get a source himself, and that's just my opinion.
Old 25 March 2020, 09:40 AM   #3765
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I get that he was wrong on that fact. you disagreed and you backed it up with a source. Where I would draw the line is asking him to go get a source himself, and that's just my opinion.

Old 25 March 2020, 09:42 AM   #3766
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Same here, last time I was wrong was in 1967.

DAVE

Old 25 March 2020, 09:58 AM   #3767
RNHC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Current thinking is that COVID is transmitted by droplets but that it can become airborne with aerosolizing procedures (which is true for many viruses) - things like intubations, high flow oxygen. And for that matter maybe even a strong cough at close range.
Wouldn't wearing a mask help with this? I know experts say masks don't help and may be not from the virus itself but wouldn't it at least help from inhaling aerosolized saliva containing the virus? What I'm talking about is this, like from a sneeze:

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...0&resize=640:*
Old 25 March 2020, 10:15 AM   #3768
gh0stleader
Banned

Quote:
That's what the medical license issued by your state is there for...
It means they don't really need to.
In case you have reservation regarding the course of treatment, they will not hesitate to give it to you.

But yeah, in the medical report that your doctor has to spend nearly an hour typing up after even a 5 minute visit, he will have to explain everything and provide a citation for novel treatment method if another doctor needs to retrieve that patient's records to find out what's going with him on a future visit.

Bottom line is this.
Members here on this forum with scientific and medical back grounds are not here to be perceived as omnipotent or intellectually superior.
We're simply here b/c we care about the well being of our family, friends, and neighbors.

It's not too inspiring to help when you're constantly being shouted down by an ignorant buffoon(not you btw) w/ zero experience in the field behaving like a god damn know it all.

Can you imagine person walking into a watch repair shop and refusing to accept any free advice on how to repair his watch or preserve his watch from harm? Now tell me, how much of an idiot would that person, refusing the talking points of an expert, look like?

Shit people, learn to accept some help with some f**cking class and grace for God's sake...
Old 25 March 2020, 10:15 AM   #3769
gejay99
"TRF" Member

scary!
Old 25 March 2020, 10:49 AM   #3770
RWH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It genuinely feels as though certain members have an agenda. And they are pushing it at all costs.

Even to the point of hypocrisy. This guy clearly has significant knowledge. My own doctor, who’s husband is on the front lines in Teaneck, NJ gave me a whole real life update. I didn’t provide it here out of fear of getting major pushback.
I'm in NYC and I definitely am interested in what you have learned in regards the current situation in Jersey. We are neighbors after all and there is so many people that lives in Jersey that commutes to the city for work. If you don't mind of course
Old 25 March 2020, 11:10 AM   #3771
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Same here, last time I was wrong was in 1967.

My last time was in 71 Dave, we’re in the same family
Old 25 March 2020, 11:20 AM   #3772
Star Ferry
Banned

Most of the info online is about how many cases there are. The resources seem directed at those who are not yet sick. What do we do if we are actually sick? After days of mild fever and fatigue, I am getting chest pain. If this gets worse, do I show up at an ER?
Old 25 March 2020, 11:21 AM   #3773
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Most of the info online is about how many cases there are. The resources seem directed at those who are not yet sick. What do we do if we are actually sick? After days of mild fever and fatigue, I am getting chest pain. If this gets worse, do I show up at an ER?

How many days in are you? Where do you live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 March 2020, 11:24 AM   #3774
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear that you are ill, on the upside now is probably the time to be sick if you require medical intervention.
Old 25 March 2020, 11:24 AM   #3775
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stleader View Post
That's what the medical license issued by your state is there for...
It means they don't really need to.
In case you have reservation regarding the course of treatment, they will not hesitate to give it to you.

But yeah, in the medical report that your doctor has to spend nearly an hour typing up after even a 5 minute visit, he will have to explain everything and provide a citation for novel treatment method if another doctor needs to retrieve that patient's records to find out what's going with him on a future visit.

Bottom line is this.
Members here on this forum with scientific and medical back grounds are not here to be perceived as omnipotent or intellectually superior.
We're simply here b/c we care about the well being of our family, friends, and neighbors.

It's not too inspiring to help when you're constantly being shouted down by an ignorant buffoon(not you btw) w/ zero experience in the field behaving like a god damn know it all.

Can you imagine person walking into a watch repair shop and refusing to accept any free advice on how to repair his watch or preserve his watch from harm? Now tell me, how much of an idiot would that person, refusing the talking points of an expert, look like?

Shit people, learn to accept some help with some f**cking class and grace for God's sake...
Must you cuss?
Old 25 March 2020, 11:24 AM   #3776
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
How many days in are you? Where do you live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
just felt mildly sick for about 5 days, maybe 6. Chest pain started a half hour ago, off and on. Never got tested. in downtown Chicago.

my intention is to stay home. concern is what to do if it gets worse, besides ending up sitting in an ER for hours.
Old 25 March 2020, 11:28 AM   #3777
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
just felt mildly sick for about 5 days, maybe 6. Chest pain started a half hour ago, off and on. Never got tested. in downtown Chicago.

Describe your chest pain. Pressure? Sharp? Does it happen with exertion, or at rest? Does it radiate? Any medical history? Do you have shortness of breath?
Old 25 March 2020, 11:31 AM   #3778
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Describe your chest pain. Pressure? Sharp? Does it happen with exertion, or at rest? Does it radiate?
mild pain center of chest. comes and goes. what is sharp versus pressure? I am resting, sitting on a couch drinking herbal tea.

I think I'm breathing fine, maybe heavier than usual but not struggling. I'm 28 with no medical history, which is the concern. I don't usually get much pain.
Old 25 March 2020, 11:40 AM   #3779
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
mild pain center of chest. comes and goes. what is sharp versus pressure? I am resting, sitting on a couch drinking herbal tea.

I think I'm breathing fine, maybe heavier than usual but not struggling. I'm 28 with no medical history, which is the concern. I don't usually get much pain.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019.../symptoms.html

If you develop emergency warning signs for COVID-19 get medical attention immediately. Emergency warning signs include*:

Trouble breathing
Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
New confusion or inability to arouse
Bluish lips or face

You mentioned coughing up blood in a previous post.

They ask if it's more than a teaspoon worth?
Old 25 March 2020, 11:45 AM   #3780
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019.../symptoms.html

If you develop emergency warning signs for COVID-19 get medical attention immediately. Emergency warning signs include*:

Trouble breathing
Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
New confusion or inability to arouse
Bluish lips or face

You mentioned coughing up blood in a previous post.

They ask if it's more than a teaspoon worth?
No it was more like droplets/specks on the tissue. My family already told me to go to an ER but I am hesitant to go rack up a potentially 5 figure bill. And if I don't already have COVID-19 then I could catch it there.
Closed Thread