The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 19 January 2022, 02:22 PM   #1
carnivor32
"TRF" Member

Kevin O Leary Trying to make Amends for prior interview

https://www.kitco.com/news/video/sho...arket-Analysis
carnivor32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 02:54 PM   #2
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I wish people would stop talking about watches as if they're the next cryptocurrency.

It's nice that some retain value, but please stop using them as speculative investments.

Buy gold if you want an inflation hedge.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 03:04 PM   #3
carnivor32
"TRF" Member

I disagree with him about Journe being Picasso. He more of a Dali type then picasso.
Old 19 January 2022, 10:54 PM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Kevin who?

i love when he's on CNBC and totally obliterates their commentators' Market-Approved Narrative. Kevin, if you're reading this please keep them 'honest', because we all know CNBC is knowingly not always truthful to their audience.

-----

A Bit Of Rant Below

EXAMPLE: A few years back CNBC brought in the English gentleman as a commentator, as back then the European version of CNBC was by far more honest than their crooked USA counterparts. Well, the new in USA European commentator was being honest, and the 'bedroom eyes' gal said to him, "You're in America now, you need to put a positive light on things".

That pretty much sums up CNBC nowadays. Market manipulators who gladly lie to their viewers to keep the market propped up (or whatever the Gov tells them to say).

Remember: Jim Cramer, widely known for manipulating markets AND was caught on tape manipulating Apple stock... Then there's gool ol' Jim who said DO NOT sell Bear Sterns stock a day or so before they went kaput. Jim knew the situation, yet kept lying to his TV audience. ROFLMAO!!!

BTW: I did send Jim's manipulation admittal video to the SEC, and am sure no one here is surprised that the SEC doesn't care to follow the law.

-------------

Getting back to Kevin, am sure his advice only reaches those who are truly passionate about timepieces, not cold and calculating investors who only care that timepieces are highly valuable items you can flip for profit, right?

Guess the real question is: Will FPJ be blacklisting Kevin?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 11:19 PM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Guess the real question is: Will FPJ be blacklisting Kevin?
No because he’s not flipping them and even though he showed up late to the party he was buying them well before the Journe market went hockey stick.
Old 19 January 2022, 11:31 PM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Ahhh ok. Let's hope he keeps pumping FPJ, the smart way Pierre is MC'ing things it'll be a far larger, far better company than those brands who recently fell off the Holy Trinity list (PP and AP).
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 19 January 2022, 11:33 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Not a fan of Mr. O’Leary. He does seem to have a nice collection tho.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 01:46 AM   #8
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivor32 View Post
what prior interview? i watched and enjoyed. seemed genuine to me.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 01:56 AM   #9
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Ignore him!
He is just marketing himself.
Old 20 January 2022, 02:08 AM   #10
F131F
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 14060A
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Ignore him!
He is just marketing himself.
This!
F131F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 02:17 AM   #11
sgrossma
2024 Pledge Member

I enjoy these videos greatly. He's not single handedly changing the market. He may come off as a bit of a snob, but a lot of what he says is the truth.
His watches might increase a lot in value, but he doesn't sell, and when he does it is for charity.
sgrossma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 03:21 AM   #12
carnivor32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
what prior interview? i watched and enjoyed. seemed genuine to me.

Look at this:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ighlight=kevin
Old 20 January 2022, 08:26 AM   #13
utc66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, PAM112,EZM1
Best thing about Kitco is/was Daniela Cambone, not sure if she's still working there.
utc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 09:42 AM   #14
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Not a fan of Mr. O’Leary. He does seem to have a nice collection tho.
Minus all the red straps
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 11:23 AM   #15
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrossma View Post
He may come off as a bit of a snob, but a lot of what he says is the truth.
His watches might increase a lot in value, but he doesn't sell, and when he does it is for charity.
#Truth

He's got a great swagger about him. Love the red leather watch straps too. Kevin is probably the most honest regular appearance / commentator on CNBC. Give 'em hell Kevin!

Old 20 January 2022, 01:09 PM   #16
malba2366
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I wish people would stop talking about watches as if they're the next cryptocurrency.

It's nice that some retain value, but please stop using them as speculative investments.

Buy gold if you want an inflation hedge.
The way O'Leary discusses watches as investments is a little disingenuous. The watches he talks about as investments are only readily avalable for VIPs or people with huge purchase histories.
malba2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 02:18 PM   #17
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
The way O'Leary discusses watches as investments is a little disingenuous. The watches he talks about as investments are only readily avalable for VIPs or people with huge purchase histories.

Yes….. very humble brag of him… and gives you advice but which Rolex to buy LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 07:58 PM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
He has found a way to build personal financial wealth. Good for him, mazol tov! His wealth and ability has provided access to goods and services.

Some others don't build wealth and/or have less ability in life, so they are at a disadvantage in the world. Perhaps they do not work as hard, or better still, as smart as Kevin.

Kevin has fans with big bank accounts where a $1,000,000 product is like a $10 expense to most people. So like any other resource, understand the situation, your 'competition,' and the 'rules of the game'.

What part did Kevin not make clear?

BTW: Kevin did say a Grand Seiko is just as good as a Patek Philippe in quality and craftsmanship. He made very complimentary comments about Grand Seiko's excellent accuracy and dials.

Old 22 January 2022, 12:01 AM   #19
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Type XXI
I'm a huge fan of Kevin, very smart and very entertaining.

I'm not a huge fan of the type of "collector" or "hobbyist" he is.

"Where's the nearest bridge"?
Craigdwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2022, 10:09 AM   #20
timepiecezone
"TRF" Member

Hate him or love him, I'd love to have the watch caliber he has, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timepiecezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2022, 10:54 AM   #21
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He has found a way to build personal financial wealth. Good for him, mazol tov! His wealth and ability has provided access to goods and services.

Some others don't build wealth and/or have less ability in life, so they are at a disadvantage in the world. Perhaps they do not work as hard, or better still, as smart as Kevin.

Kevin has fans with big bank accounts where a $1,000,000 product is like a $10 expense to most people. So like any other resource, understand the situation, your 'competition,' and the 'rules of the game'.

What part did Kevin not make clear?

BTW: Kevin did say a Grand Seiko is just as good as a Patek Philippe in quality and craftsmanship. He made very complimentary comments about Grand Seiko's excellent accuracy and dials.
Ascribing to merit what may well be luck will all too often result in hubris.
Everything in life is but luck and misfortune, the only bit of merit in there is one’s ability not to mess it up when fortune smiles at you and not to give up when she doesn’t.

He’s certainly managed his share of luck quite well, but whether that’s truly worthy of reverence and admiration is another matter. Respect and goodwill, sure, but from there to saying he’s worked harder or smarter than others is a stretch. He was at the right place at the right time knowing to do the right thing and got a TV show that allows him to flog stuff. Good for him.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2022, 11:06 AM   #22
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdwh View Post

I'm not a huge fan of the type of "collector" or "hobbyist" he is.
You mean heavy on the talk, light on the substance? Repeating mantras without the depth of thought needed to dissect them? He’s great with catchphrases, I‘ll give him that and perhaps there’s a genuine enthusiast somewhere below the bloodless made for TV bravado (if so, it’s probably more about the fountain pens than about those horrible red watchbands though). But at least the part he‘s showing us is as much of a superficial role as Paul Pluta would like his schizophrenic alterego to be.

Exhibit a: postures around that he‘d rather be dead than checking the time on his phone, next video, quips that a watch needs not be readable „because honey I can check the time on my phone“

He’s in it for the adulation, good for him if you want to abide by that. But if you want to impress me, you’ll need to bring much more to the table.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Old 26 January 2022, 05:02 AM   #23
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Is he French? I always hear him talked about his "collezion" (pardon my French spelling too).
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2022, 05:13 AM   #24
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Careful there llnogc, some take proper pronunciation quite seriously.

Old 26 January 2022, 06:54 AM   #25
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Is he French? I always hear him talked about his "collezion" (pardon my French spelling too).
Phony French, as is his theatrically overdone phony pronunciation, which profusely omits that there is no z in collection, which in French is spelled just as it is in English.

Old 26 January 2022, 07:36 AM   #26
crunkerman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 126000
His bio says he grew up in Montreal atleast went to primary school there. Anyway, Montreal is bilingual, most people interchange English and French words when speaking. Sort of like Spanglish is the states. Anyway, it sounds pretentious as f**k when he is speaking to a non-Quebec audience. ... , how do you say that word in eeenglish??? colleccczion , zat zee right word???
crunkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2022, 07:40 AM   #27
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Shtick, he has one. Wow, tough crowd. Tough crowd i tell ya.

rodney-dangerfield-9542630-1-402.jpg

Old 26 January 2022, 08:14 AM   #28
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Careful there llnogc, some take proper pronunciation quite seriously.
Believe it or not. Before this, I actually did think that "colleczion" is indeed French for collection. Then I goggled it and was like

I have to admit I have zero knowledge in French...
Old 26 January 2022, 08:21 AM   #29
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Phony French, as is his theatrically overdone phony pronunciation, which profusely omits that there is no z in collection, which in French is spelled just as it is in English.
From his numerous other interviews, I came to the conclusion that his goal in buying watches (note I did not use watch collecting) are:

- To impress people
- as an investment

So throwing in overly theatrical French single words in an English conversation probably is his way of accomplishing #1.
Old 26 January 2022, 11:00 PM   #30
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Collezione is Italian for collection. Agree it’s ridiculous but I think he knows that and it’s a bit tongue in cheek.