The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

View Poll Results: This or that? IWC Big Pilot 43 vs. PAM915
Big Pilot 43 27 81.82%
PAM915 6 18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 January 2022, 04:22 AM   #1
jed11
"TRF" Member

IWC BP43 vs. PAM915

A quick this vs. that.
While both very different for the obvious reasons, they sort of share similar qualities - bare bones dial, basic 3 hander complication, versatile with strap changes, has a certain military/tool watch vibe.
I really like the way they both sat on my wrist too, nice wrist presence.

I do think the Panerai is a bit sportier and has a more 'rugged' look to it. And in my opinion, is better suited on rubber than the IWC would on rubber. I think they both look great on leather of course.

I owned the PAM510 before and really enjoyed it. I love everything they've done with the IWC BP43 but can't shake that feeling that its sort of a watered down version of the Big Pilot (man, I wish I can pull off the Big Pilot!!!) and is more of a bigger Mark XVIII than it is a smaller Big Pilot.

Thoughts and comments?
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 06:06 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I tend to prefer wire lug rads from panerai (although I’ve never owned one). I have a BP43 and it’s really brilliant. Runs spot on. Fit and finish above what you get from many brands for the money. I just never bonded with it as I actually find it larger than I like. I should have tried it before buying I guess. Got lazy.

Sounds like you have clear reservations about the BP43 so I’d go PAM.
Old 20 January 2022, 07:21 AM   #3
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

I think Richemont puts the better movement in the IWC.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 07:58 AM   #4
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

P.A.M
Look
Fit
Strap choice and play
End :)
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 08:45 AM   #5
jed11
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the comments everyone. Yeah, I agree that the BP43 is a more 'refined' piece but the PAM (and any PAM for that matter when compared to the BP) is a little more fun.

Based on these two choices I'm contemplating, you can glean that I like the 'clean and simple' look...but I also want the watch to be interesting. Case in point, I think my Lange 1 and my VC56 is 'clean and simple' but the watches/dials are interesting...if that makes sense.

If they only made a BP43 with a PR...haha...no brainer.
Old 20 January 2022, 10:01 AM   #6
rlj676
"TRF" Member

I think any pam has a more distinct and interesting look.

I was debating a top gun vs pam 683 and bought the 683 as the Pam just looks unique and the top gun despite being awesome could be any random dlc pilot style watch. That said I’ll probably get one still :)
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 01:38 PM   #7
Justindo
"TRF" Member

If you want a big pilot, you want a big pilot. If you want a Panerai, you want a Panerai. If you can't decide, I'd go for the higher quality watch, which is the IWC. I tried on the Big Pilot 43 and it's a nice watch that I'd consider adding to my collection, even though it's a big large for my wrist but that's sort of the point. I'll probably just save the money and get a Longines Big Eye with a chronograph for my pilot's watch and call it a day.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 06:33 PM   #8
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The BP would be my choice
Old 20 January 2022, 11:03 PM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Good points are being made in this thread for sure. i see it as do you want a Panerai fashion watch or an IWC timepiece? Nothing wrong with fashion watches, as have two PAMs and am wearing the 1118 TRON right now. We know that the Panerai 1118 has zero significance horologically, it's a fun fashion piece as I love TRON. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you love horology, then IWC is the obvious choice of the two imho.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 21 January 2022, 02:42 AM   #10
jed11
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input! It's interesting to hear/see that there is a definitely a strong feeling that IWC is a better timepiece from a horological standpoint. Which I don't necessarily disagree with. Of course each piece is different but from a wholistic standpoint, yes, agree that IWC ranks a bit higher than Panerai.
I do think that a PAM has that 'fun' factor...the IWC is a little more serious and a bit less sporty. Maybe I should be looking at a different IWC model...something in ceramic, perhaps, that has that more decidedly sportier vibe. Man, maybe a new poll...haha.
Old 21 January 2022, 03:50 AM   #11
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed11 View Post
Thanks for the input! It's interesting to hear/see that there is a definitely a strong feeling that IWC is a better timepiece from a horological standpoint. Which I don't necessarily disagree with. Of course each piece is different but from a wholistic standpoint, yes, agree that IWC ranks a bit higher than Panerai.
I do think that a PAM has that 'fun' factor...the IWC is a little more serious and a bit less sporty. Maybe I should be looking at a different IWC model...something in ceramic, perhaps, that has that more decidedly sportier vibe. Man, maybe a new poll...haha.
I think you’re right.

Try the top gun! It wears awesome for a “44” as black is quite slimming haha.

The SFRT or whatever version with the green strap and jet fighter detail on second hand is especially cool to me.
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 04:56 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed11 View Post
Maybe I should be looking at a different IWC model...something in ceramic, perhaps, that has that more decidedly sportier vibe. Man, maybe a new poll...haha.
If I may, perhaps a Tudor BB ceramic. Also historically significant as their first METAS certified Master Chronometer. Modern non-metallic hairspring, and sooo dark and ominous including the movement. It looks....

223663101_2210005179135851_1222276104224179678_n.jpg

248898166_2282933438509691_1047766778410371085_n.jpg

MT_5602-1U_RVB.jpg

Old 22 January 2022, 09:11 AM   #13
jed11
"TRF" Member

Well...looks like my next one isn't going to be either of these two in the poll. Hahaha. I spent a good amount of time with both of them today but after spending equally the same amount of time with the original big pilot, it was no contest. Incoming thread hopefully soon....
Old 22 January 2022, 09:45 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

A pre-Richemont IWC?

Old 23 January 2022, 02:28 AM   #15
jed11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
A pre-Richemont IWC?
No not quite...I realized that the use of the word "original" now sounds a bit misleading. I was just referring to going with the 46mm BP vs the 43.
Yes, definitely bigger on paper but honestly the difference when on the wrist is quite negligible. I mean they are both big and are both going to have that same look. And with the added complication of the PR, the dial doesn't look as expansive as the 43...and maybe that adds to the bigger BP wearing similar.
Sure, you loose the quick strap which was a big draw for me but honestly, I don't really see ever wearing either BP on rubber and swapping out straps all that much so that takes it out of the equation.
Old 25 January 2022, 07:04 PM   #16
Paka
Banned

Watch: IWC Big Pilot 5002
Iwc Big Pilot 5002. Hands down. Amazing history, legendary watch, a classic.
Paka is offline   Reply With Quote