The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 March 2021, 11:32 PM   #31
samarth1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VC Cornes de Vache
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Very Nice, congrats!
Thank you!
samarth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 12:06 AM   #32
Unsubscriber
"TRF" Member

Congratulations! It's a beautiful watch (like most of Lange's offerings). Based on what I've read, I understand the technical rational for using a gold-plated rotor (it's made of plated ARCAP, differing from German silver by only 2%, for those interested). But I don't understand why Lange often forgoes gold chatons in their automatic movements, too.
Unsubscriber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 12:59 AM   #33
samarth1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsubscriber View Post
Congratulations! It's a beautiful watch (like most of Lange's offerings). Based on what I've read, I understand the technical rational for using a gold-plated rotor (it's made of plated ARCAP, differing from German silver by only 2%, for those interested). But I don't understand why Lange often forgoes gold chatons in their automatic movements, too.
Thank you! I've wondered that myself. It could be the same rationale for why they used a gold-plated, platinum-edged rotor- they wanted to keep the 72hr power reserve, and keep the movement as thin as possible. So perhaps trying to balance price, thinness, and performance I would say. Although, I think ALS doesn't necessarily care about added price, given the way they finish the entry-level Saxonia Thin! The predecessor (Langmatik Sax-O-Mat) and its micro-rotor movement didn't have gold chatons either I believe, and that had the 21k gold rotor with a much smaller 46hr power reserve. @langepedia has some strong opinions on what he considers to be a downgrade in the new movement, but I honestly don't see it that way.
Old 19 March 2021, 01:29 AM   #34
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsubscriber View Post
Would you please care to share the reasoning of using a gold plated rotor instead of a solid one?

As for the gold chatons, there are plenty of their automatic movements that use them.

Lange uses gold chatons mostly for aesthetics, today's jewels are synthetic and readily available, hence drilling bores and using a chaton is not really economic nor technical necessary anymore.

I personally see it as a take away from the client on Lange's behalf on this movements, even though this might offer a better price and technically the movement is just as fine.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 01:51 AM   #35
samarth1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord91 View Post
Would you please care to share the reasoning of using a gold plated rotor instead of a solid one?

As for the gold chatons, there are plenty of their automatic movements that use them.

Lange uses gold chatons mostly for aesthetics, today's jewels are synthetic and readily available, hence drilling bores and using a chaton is not really economic nor technical necessary anymore.

I personally see it as a take away from the client on Lange's behalf on this movements, even though this might offer a better price and technically the movement is just as fine.
Here's ALS's response to someone who asked the question on Instagram regarding why gold-plated and not solid gold. Also @langepedia's response:

Old 19 March 2021, 02:27 AM   #36
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth1 View Post
Here's ALS's response to someone who asked the question on Instagram regarding why gold-plated and not solid gold. Also @langepedia's response:

First of all, congrats on your new Lange watch!

Thank you for sharing this explanations.

I'm aware of Langepedia's take on this movement and i think i can understand why you disagree.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 04:28 AM   #37
Unsubscriber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord91 View Post

Some of their automatic movements preserve the gold chatons but others do not (the Sax-O-Mat, for one) and I think it's a pity when they're absent, for aesthetic reasons. I've read that the gold chaton is a hallmark of Glashutte manufacturing so am curious about the rationale for leaving these out. Lange's newest automatic movement, the Datomatic used in the Odysseus, has one screwed chaton.
Unsubscriber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 12:13 AM   #38
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
ALS is nice! I’m starting to really get into ALS and would like to purchase one in the future. I know nothing about them. Are these going under retail in the grey market and are they easily obtainable?
RaZCaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 04:40 PM   #39
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZCaL View Post
ALS is nice! I’m starting to really get into ALS and would like to purchase one in the future. I know nothing about them. Are these going under retail in the grey market and are they easily obtainable?
These days, it's hard to find brand new grey-market Langes at a worthwhile discount. I'd suggest either buying a new one from an AD or boutique, or looking for a preowned one for a reasonable price. If it's a standard-production model, it'll sell for something below retail on the preowned market.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 12:09 AM   #40
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Congratulations, ALS is a fantastic brand and you have purchased a wonderful reference. Enjoy in great health! Nicely done!
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote