The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 16 March 2021, 03:37 AM   #61
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormshadow View Post
I agree with this, wholeheartedly. I like this version, but I would rather hold out for a 45mm "no radiations." Or, wait for the next release. :)

I have a few BP pieces to rotate through until then.
Yes! I get that small is in right now so they are just going to keep craning out 40mm but I would love a titanium no date 45mm brushed LE! Something like the 59th anniversary or Nageurs De Combat but no date and a display back on the full titanium bracelet. That would get me out to a Blancpain boutique....
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 05:22 AM   #62
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree with this, wholeheartedly. I like this version, but I would rather hold out for a 45mm "no radiations." Or, wait for the next release. :)

I have a few BP pieces to rotate through until then.
They already made a 45mm no rads in 2010 or 2011 (can't remember which).

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 06:13 AM   #63
stormshadow
2024 Pledge Member

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms new limited edition unveiled on the 15th of March

Yup; well aware. There’s one on eBay right now. I just don’t want to pay 20+ for one if I have a chance to get one at MSRP in a re-release. :)

Seems they are churning them out now. I may not have to wait long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 06:26 AM   #64
NardinNut
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I like it. Just bought it from boutique. He wasn’t sure yet when they’d have it to ship. I’m definitely a bigger fan of the brushed case on my MilSpec (and of course the lack of BP on case band) but the polished case on this one is enough for me to justify both. I’ll end up putting one on the x71 and keep the other on strap
NardinNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 08:26 AM   #65
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yup; well aware. There’s one on eBay right now. I just don’t want to pay 20+ for one if I have a chance to get one at MSRP in a re-release. :)

Seems they are churning them out now. I may not have to wait long.
Ah. Not sure the chances of that are very good, but definitely best of luck.

Personally, I think they should make a 41mm regular version.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 09:13 AM   #66
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Ah. Not sure the chances of that are very good, but definitely best of luck.

Personally, I think they should make a 41mm regular version.

Indeed and put them in a case that’s more historically accurate. A 41 mm bathy style case would slap.
Old 16 March 2021, 09:27 AM   #67
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
And it took Blancpain 5 years to sell all 500 of them. They used to sit in dealers cases like mangy dogs in the pound waiting for someone to come along and love them. Oh, how times have changed.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 09:29 AM   #68
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

I think the watch looks great. If your into the FF then most likely you will like this. I own 3 and am seriously considering this one. I love the date and that it has a polished case. My 2 LEs and 1 non LE are all brushed so this would be a nice addition. I really like it.
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 10:33 AM   #69
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Sharing a source for someone like me who did not know the significance of "No Radiations" on the dial.

https://revolution.watch/introducing...athoms-no-rad/

"Legibility in adverse conditions has been a requirement of a dive watch since Blancpain’s Fifty Fathoms codified the genre back in 1953. Back then, being able to tell the time underwater meant one thing — radium. Radium, mixed with water and glue, was a very effective luminous material, offering a constant glow. Radium wasn’t just used on watch dials; the element was commonly used in the first half of the 20th century. It fell rapidly out of favour when it became widely known just how dangerous it was. Radium ceased to be used on watch dials, leading to less harmful radioactive compounds, like tritium or non-radioactive photo-luminescent compounds.

For Blancpain, the Fifty Fathoms was an important watch, used by military and civilian divers alike. Legibility still mattered, but the brand found they needed to communicate, quickly and unequivocally, that their watches were free from harmful radium. The most effective method was to plainly say so on the dial. So it was that Blancpain adopted a symbol on their dials — a trefoil, the international symbol for ionising radiation, on a bright yellow field. The crucial signifier was the black cross through the trefoil, along with the words “No Radiations” in black, indicating that this watch was not hazardous to your health."
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 08:14 PM   #70
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
No date 40mm modern FF. Thats what I want at this point. They need to figure out how to make a tight bezel first
I've owned two of the 45mm Fifty Fathoms and they both would get sand under the bezel which quickly destroyed the ratchet mechanism that confined the bezel rotation to one direction. The watch really wasn't suitable for ocean wear.
Rolex and Omega make modern watches which could be used for diving, this is more of a faux diver.
Old 16 March 2021, 09:58 PM   #71
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
I've owned two of the 45mm Fifty Fathoms and they both would get sand under the bezel which quickly destroyed the ratchet mechanism that confined the bezel rotation to one direction. The watch really wasn't suitable for ocean wear.
Rolex and Omega make modern watches which could be used for diving, this is more of a faux diver.
The times are gone that luxury diving watches are being used for their purpose.
Hell, last time I went for a dive I used a plastic Citizen.
Not the Rolex or Blancpain diver I own.
These watches are for desk duty only. Too expensive to get stained in salt water.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2021, 02:15 AM   #72
Lo100169
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannr1 View Post
The times are gone that luxury diving watches are being used for their purpose.
Hell, last time I went for a dive I used a plastic Citizen.
Not the Rolex or Blancpain diver I own.
These watches are for desk duty only. Too expensive to get stained in salt water.
they still should be able to cope with sand and seawater. my SD16600 never had any issue with that for the last 15 years... i would expect the same from a FF.
Lo100169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2021, 03:56 AM   #73
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo100169 View Post
they still should be able to cope with sand and seawater. my SD16600 never had any issue with that for the last 15 years... i would expect the same from a FF.
Spent a chunk of 2020's covid lockdowns by the sand and surf with my 500 Fathoms, no issues for me with the bezel but I've heard of sand getting under the bezels of Fifty Fathoms and Rolex steel sports so not sure this issue is common or unique to the FF.
Old 17 March 2021, 04:21 AM   #74
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Not sure who would want a whopping great radiation sign on their $14k dial, but hey, different strokes for different folks...
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2021, 04:24 AM   #75
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Not sure who would want a whopping great radiation sign on their $14k dial, but hey, different strokes for different folks...
Not the same people that want a dozen lines of text on their dial probably....
Old 17 March 2021, 07:38 AM   #76
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo100169 View Post
Exactly my point. With Rolex Sub and Sea Dweller you get the real item, performance monsters, with Omega you get the real item but gussied up, Blancpain and others make the effort but can't quite be bothered to fix the glitches. It's a look.
Old 17 March 2021, 11:00 AM   #77
sambb
"TRF" Member

i like it... but how is this worth 2-3x a seamaster, and 50% more than a sub... hmmm..
Would love to own a 41mm FF.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2021, 03:55 PM   #78
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Subs are going for 14k now so this is a bargain.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2021, 10:18 PM   #79
NardinNut

I own a BLRO, a BLNR, and a five digit sub (also had a CDaytona). I also own the Hodinkee MilSpec FF and a super rare Bathyscaphe. Hands down I’d take the BPs over any of the Rolex (although the BLNR is close). The BPs are keepers. Only the BLNR is a keeper of the Rolex for me. Quality in the flesh of the BPs is awesome. They have the low key appeal. The movements are fantastic with incredible power reserves (100 hrs on FF and 120 on Bathy). And they are far more collectible, which as a collector matters to me. I’ve never once seen the Bathyscaphe I have listed for sale as only 50 were made. There are only 250 of the MilSpec made. Yes the Rolex models I have are hard to find at MSRP, which was part of the fun getting them at MSRP, but they are everywhere. They garner too much attention which I don’t care for. Now don’t get me wrong, I think Rolex makes some of the best watches out there at their MSRP points. But, for me, Blancpain is on a whole different level quality wise, and heritage wise. When they’re on my wrist, I stare at them, a lot. Not so with the Rolex.
This thread needs more pics!
Old 18 March 2021, 08:49 AM   #80
bosevelt
"TRF" Member

I guess the FF’s have inconsistent bezel action, but the two bathyscaphe bezels I’ve owned are tight and right.
bosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2021, 09:05 AM   #81
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Wow, I'm a FF fan and owner but this LE is a pass for me. Like the strap though.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2021, 10:50 AM   #82
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by NardinNut View Post
Blancpain is on a whole different level quality wise, and heritage wise.

That much we can agree on.
Old 18 March 2021, 01:07 PM   #83
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I like everything better about the Hodinkee MIL-SPEC version except, maybe, the length of the hands. Still, if you're a Fifty-Fathoms collector and like smaller watches, this is a nice addition. However, Swatch really needs to kick the fauxtina to the curb.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2021, 09:00 PM   #84
rapide66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
I like everything better about the Hodinkee MIL-SPEC version except, maybe, the length of the hands. Still, if you're a Fifty-Fathoms collector and like smaller watches, this is a nice addition. However, Swatch really needs to kick the fauxtina to the curb.
I couldn't agree more. I think the Hodinkee Mil-Spec will remain as one of the most sought after LE FF, given the minimalistic dial/bezel and lack of fauxtina/date/side logo. It seems to me that Blancpain is trying to monetize whatever it can, and probably running out of LE options as well. Two Mil-Spec LE and now two No-Rad LE...
rapide66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 07:55 PM   #85
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosevelt View Post
I guess the FF’s have inconsistent bezel action, but the two bathyscaphe bezels I’ve owned are tight and right.
Thats a first for me. I own a bathy and a mil-spec. Both have the same play to the right. Unacceptable for this price range. Its a well known problem but BP doesnt seems to care to fix. Now another LE. Done with BP
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 09:54 PM   #86
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits1980 View Post
Thats a first for me. I own a bathy and a mil-spec. Both have the same play to the right. Unacceptable for this price range. Its a well known problem but BP doesnt seems to care to fix. Now another LE. Done with BP
Every 40mm FF Ltd I’ve owned had bezel play. I agree above with the guy that said they don’t care about the glitches. Will you sell your milspec or keep and just ban BP going forward. I’m over AP but I sold mine and now wonder if I did that out of haste
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 11:25 PM   #87
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
I have the Hodinkee milspec LE and love it. And honestly, the bezel play doesn’t bother me. I really don’t even turn the bezel much. All watches tend to have some idiosyncratic annoyances no matter the price point (5712 non-hacking, etc). If you loo hard enough you will generally find something. Which can suck the joy out of just how sweet this hobby is.

Just my two cents.
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 05:43 AM   #88
NardinNut

Arrived today
Old 26 March 2021, 05:48 AM   #89
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Congratulations. First incoming reported.
Stunning watch!
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 05:49 AM   #90
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by NardinNut View Post
Arrived today
Very nice. What are your initial thoughts?
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote