The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 November 2021, 04:17 AM   #391
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
A friend of mine has one of these on order. They look pretty cool and have some great features!

https://rivian.com/r1s
Thats exactly what I have had on order since 11/27/2018

I received more emails about the IPO then the vehicle they're supposed to deliver "This year"
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 04:29 AM   #392
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamSLC View Post
Thats exactly what I have had on order since 11/27/2018

I received more emails about the IPO then the vehicle they're supposed to deliver "This year"
He said the same thing. Hopefully you bought some shares and cashed out after a few days!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 05:06 AM   #393
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
He said the same thing. Hopefully you bought some shares and cashed out after a few days!
I did get my max allotment of the IPO shares. I'm going to let it ride for a few years and see what happens. Even though the valuation doesn't make any sense.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 06:25 AM   #394
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Regenerative Braking.

Solar roof panels for sunnier climes?
Sub-surface road cables enabling induction charging?
I always wondered why a glass-type roof with solar battery cells hasn’t ever been mentioned? Maybe that’s my naivety, but I would have thought that’s the best way to get around low charge? Also, with solar, it works practically anywhere. UK has got lots of homes with solar panels, why not cars with similar?

I’ve always said that I don’t think charging cables will work on public streets. I’m sure in the UK, people would often remove them for a laugh, to mention, take it from one car and put it in to their own for a period of time.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 06:32 AM   #395
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
You can‘t remove a charging cable from a locked EV.
The IONIC5 has built-in solarpanels in the roof, which can add up to 2000 km/year
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 07:51 AM   #396
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
You can‘t remove a charging cable from a locked EV.
Ah ok, i didn’t know that.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 10:08 AM   #397
Cru Jones

Seen on the internets.

Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 06:56 PM   #398
Cru Jones

Cold weather? Internet rumors vs. real world results:

https://insideevs.com/news/549229/al...Qi9TN2ktfY-2iw

https://insideevs.com/news/342879/te..._Z0kwNLq5M8NiI
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 02:33 AM   #399
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Seen on the internets.

I do find it sad that a guy goes into the shopping mall for a few minutes and when he comes out someone stole his engine.

The times we live in. Very disappointing.
Old 22 November 2021, 02:52 AM   #400
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I could easily see 'tow truck' arriving at a depleted EV and charging it at the side of the road much like we see trucks arrive with gasoline today.

I don't think the "I've run out of juice" will be much more of a thing than I've run out of gas.

And perhaps we will carry a gizmo of some sort to take us an extra 50 miles or something.
I think that gizmo could be a small ice engine. Or perhaps a portable charge device. Or a kinetic energy based secondary system that is self charging. Generally I agree not more than running out of gas. The big undetermined though is how elements impact lifespan/charge cycle and if the EVs can reliably draw down charge close to zero and measure that charge accurately. Upper Midwest, southeast and the dry SW I think are the big question marks.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 02:22 AM   #401
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Although the concept of driverless cars/vehicles scare the hell out of me, the concept of some people driving their cars, do as well.

Some driverless vehicles supposedly on the horizon.

https://newatlas.com/automotive/best...10d25-93122952
Old 14 January 2022, 02:30 AM   #402
Sperry
"TRF" Member

In your grandchildren's time, their children will be shaking their heads in wonder at the wastefulness of Early Humans to have squandered such an interesting, complex, naturally-occurring, and valuable non-renewable hydrocarbon resource for mere [scorn]transportation and lighting.[/scorn]

Look what happened to whales. Hunted nearly to extinction to illuminate homes and businesses, to lubricate the machines of the Industrial Revolution.
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 03:53 AM   #403
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
The school busses will be the first segment to grow very quickly in the US. I work with (not for) one of the two largest school bus makers.

80% of bus routes are under 80 miles and they all go to the same home base at the end of the day. No worries about range, no questions about where and when to charge, an easy platform to adapt to battery design, government money to support it...no good reason not to do it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 04:26 AM   #404
philipgv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Regenerative Braking.

Solar roof panels for sunnier climes?
Sub-surface road cables enabling induction charging?
Check out the dutch company Lightyear.
philipgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 04:51 AM   #405
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
The LUCID Electric Car company seems to have some very nice models. I wonder if they can give Tesla a challenge for market share
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 08:03 AM   #406
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Europe: For the first time in history Electric cars out-sell Diesel

https://apple.news/ADyh80m-3QV-E3KQzCuXE_A
Old 1 February 2022, 12:20 AM   #407
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Any increase in crude oil prices, has a universal effect on the cost of living.

If the massive hike predicted in electricity costs are true (up to 70% we're being told in the UK), how much of a good deal is an electric car?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 01:18 AM   #408
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
The school busses will be the first segment to grow very quickly in the US. I work with (not for) one of the two largest school bus makers.

80% of bus routes are under 80 miles and they all go to the same home base at the end of the day. No worries about range, no questions about where and when to charge, an easy platform to adapt to battery design, government money to support it...no good reason not to do it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
That's really interesting. Our district has been experimenting with different technologies. Some of the buses in the fleet are running on propane and they are comparing data over the course of the year compared to the diesel and regular gas versions.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 04:10 AM   #409
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I don't understand how here in California, supposedly we can't all run our homes' A/C at the same time, but we're going to be able to charge our cars at the same time.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 08:46 AM   #410
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
For us personally, the ev's that exist today can't cut it.

as mentioned in some of my other threads, we frequently go on road trips to visit family. In 2021, we did the following stretches:
- 15.5 hours with 1 stop (2x)
- 13 hours with 1 stop (2x)
- 11 hours with 1 stop (4x)
- 7 hours with no stops (4x)

Additionally, we have horses and we regularly drive 4-8 hours to different events, rides, etc. You can only make absolutely necessary stops and spend the least amount of time in each when you are hauling livestock.
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 09:41 AM   #411
TheVTCGuy
Banned

You guys bring up excellent points, that is why I think it will be a while before they are the main mode of transportation. It will happen, but is going to take a lot of work and time.

I can’t help but wonder though, is it really so much more of a transition of infrastructure when we went from horses and carriages to cars? I am sure people asked. Where will we get the fuel? What if I run out in the middle of a trip? The car has a limited range where my horse could go on forever with the proper rest and feed.

We solved those, we will solve these issues as well
Old 1 February 2022, 02:28 PM   #412
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeK View Post
For us personally, the ev's that exist today can't cut it.

as mentioned in some of my other threads, we frequently go on road trips to visit family. In 2021, we did the following stretches:
- 15.5 hours with 1 stop (2x)
- 13 hours with 1 stop (2x)
- 11 hours with 1 stop (4x)
- 7 hours with no stops (4x)

Additionally, we have horses and we regularly drive 4-8 hours to different events, rides, etc. You can only make absolutely necessary stops and spend the least amount of time in each when you are hauling livestock.
I know it’s a different conversation, but imagine this…15.5 hour drive and you don’t have to drive the car
Old 1 February 2022, 10:45 PM   #413
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I know it’s a different conversation, but imagine this…15.5 hour drive and you don’t have to drive the car

My wife is happy to say, she doesn't.
Old 2 February 2022, 12:35 AM   #414
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

You’re not supposed to be asking the obvious and difficult questions, just get on board with the EV religion.

Quote:
I don't understand how here in California, supposedly we can't all run our homes' A/C at the same time, but we're going to be able to charge our cars at the same time.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 05:09 AM   #415
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
You guys bring up excellent points, that is why I think it will be a while before they are the main mode of transportation. It will happen, but is going to take a lot of work and time.

I can’t help but wonder though, is it really so much more of a transition of infrastructure when we went from horses and carriages to cars? I am sure people asked. Where will we get the fuel? What if I run out in the middle of a trip? The car has a limited range where my horse could go on forever with the proper rest and feed.

We solved those, we will solve these issues as well

The Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894

by Ben Johnson

By the late 1800s, large cities all around the world were “drowning in horse manure”. In order for these cities to function, they were dependent on thousands of horses for the transport of both people and goods.

In 1900, there were over 11,000 hansom cabs on the streets of London alone. There were also several thousand horse-drawn buses, each needing 12 horses per day, making a staggering total of over 50,000 horses transporting people around the city each day.

To add to this, there were yet more horse-drawn carts and drays delivering goods around what was then the largest city in the world.

This huge number of horses created major problems. The main concern was the large amount of manure left behind on the streets. On average a horse will produce between 15 and 35 pounds of manure per day, so you can imagine the sheer scale of the problem. The manure on London’s streets also attracted huge numbers of flies which then spread typhoid fever and other diseases.

Each horse also produced around 2 pints of urine per day and to make things worse, the average life expectancy for a working horse was only around 3 years. Horse carcasses therefore also had to be removed from the streets. The bodies were often left to putrefy so the corpses could be more easily sawn into pieces for removal.

The streets of London were beginning to poison its people.

But this wasn’t just a British crisis: New York had a population of 100,000 horses producing around 2.5m pounds of manure a day.

This problem came to a head when in 1894, The Times newspaper predicted… “In 50 years, every street in London will be buried under nine feet of manure.”

This became known as the ‘Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894’.

The terrible situation was debated in 1898 at the world’s first international urban planning conference in New York, but no solution could be found. It seemed urban civilisation was doomed.

However, necessity is the mother of invention, and the invention in this case was that of motor transport. Henry Ford came up with a process of building motor cars at affordable prices. Electric trams and motor buses appeared on the streets, replacing the horse-drawn buses.

By 1912, this seemingly insurmountable problem had been resolved; in cities all around the globe, horses had been replaced and now motorised vehicles were the main source of transport and carriage.

Even today, in the face of a problem with no apparent solution, people often quote ‘The Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894’, urging people not to despair, something will turn up!

When the streets were caked with horse poop, at least we had nice Roses.

I'm predicting, 'The great lithium battery crisis of 2030'!
Old 2 February 2022, 05:38 AM   #416
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
The Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894

by Ben Johnson

By the late 1800s, large cities all around the world were “drowning in horse manure”. In order for these cities to function, they were dependent on thousands of horses for the transport of both people and goods.

In 1900, there were over 11,000 hansom cabs on the streets of London alone. There were also several thousand horse-drawn buses, each needing 12 horses per day, making a staggering total of over 50,000 horses transporting people around the city each day.

To add to this, there were yet more horse-drawn carts and drays delivering goods around what was then the largest city in the world.

This huge number of horses created major problems. The main concern was the large amount of manure left behind on the streets. On average a horse will produce between 15 and 35 pounds of manure per day, so you can imagine the sheer scale of the problem. The manure on London’s streets also attracted huge numbers of flies which then spread typhoid fever and other diseases.

Each horse also produced around 2 pints of urine per day and to make things worse, the average life expectancy for a working horse was only around 3 years. Horse carcasses therefore also had to be removed from the streets. The bodies were often left to putrefy so the corpses could be more easily sawn into pieces for removal.

The streets of London were beginning to poison its people.

But this wasn’t just a British crisis: New York had a population of 100,000 horses producing around 2.5m pounds of manure a day.

This problem came to a head when in 1894, The Times newspaper predicted… “In 50 years, every street in London will be buried under nine feet of manure.”

This became known as the ‘Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894’.

The terrible situation was debated in 1898 at the world’s first international urban planning conference in New York, but no solution could be found. It seemed urban civilisation was doomed.

However, necessity is the mother of invention, and the invention in this case was that of motor transport. Henry Ford came up with a process of building motor cars at affordable prices. Electric trams and motor buses appeared on the streets, replacing the horse-drawn buses.

By 1912, this seemingly insurmountable problem had been resolved; in cities all around the globe, horses had been replaced and now motorised vehicles were the main source of transport and carriage.

Even today, in the face of a problem with no apparent solution, people often quote ‘The Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894’, urging people not to despair, something will turn up!

When the streets were caked with horse poop, at least we had nice Roses.

I'm predicting, 'The great lithium battery crisis of 2030'!
Oh Horseshi*t! I had heard about this but those numbers are staggering, this article proves my point. They had incredible challenges because of pollution and had to over come them and did. Now, we have incredible challenges because of pollution we will. I don’t know when, and people a lot smarter then me will have to do it, but we will.

Thanks for the tip of 2030! I am going to cash in on that!
Old 2 February 2022, 07:28 AM   #417
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:

May as well jump on a plane or train

I’ve always enjoyed long distance drives like those described by the other poster.

Would always prefer to drive than be driven.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 08:20 AM   #418
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To be fair, nobody holds California up as a well tuned operation.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 08:41 AM   #419
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
May as well jump on a plane or train

I’ve always enjoyed long distance drives like those described by the other poster.

Would always prefer to drive than be driven.
Of course, different strokes. Personally, I’m just tired of the family party going on in the back of the RV while I’m stuck concentrating on the road.
Old 2 February 2022, 12:10 PM   #420
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
Quote:
When the first self-driving vehicle shows up that allows for long distance trips in reasonable amounts of time, I’ll sign up.
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote