The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 December 2021, 08:26 AM   #31
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
You're giving them too much credit.

This is a Richemont portfolio company.

Richemont has proven over the past decade to not have any idea how to properly run a watch brand.

Let’s just wait and see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 08:44 AM   #32
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I mean, wait and see is always a great strategy & comeback, but Richemont has a trash track record.

I love their watches. It's their business acumen that I question.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 09:00 PM   #33
2024 Pledge Member

300 watches total for the Everest drop is 3X or 4X more than the last few limited Overseas, isn’t it? We’re also in a time when demand for watches is at peak insanity. Had they only done 50 of each I suspect people would be even more furious.

And, I do agree with John above that this could be a precursor to a sportier line of Overseas. They’re now tooled up to make cases with lug guards, wider hour and minute hands and larger markers on the dials. I don’t see that going to waste.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 02:34 PM   #34
GVAZQUEZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: KERMIT 16610LV
Wow huge pick up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GVAZQUEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 05:42 PM   #35
solaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
300 watches total for the Everest drop is 3X or 4X more than the last few limited Overseas, isn’t it? We’re also in a time when demand for watches is at peak insanity. Had they only done 50 of each I suspect people would be even more furious.

And, I do agree with John above that this could be a precursor to a sportier line of Overseas. They’re now tooled up to make cases with lug guards, wider hour and minute hands and larger markers on the dials. I don’t see that going to waste.

No it was not.

The runwas similar to verious overseas LTD launches.

You've got tk remember VC is not scales for mass production, they need to have spares for every watch they have ever made. With it being handmade they cannot ramp.

solaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2021, 07:00 AM   #36
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaire View Post
No it was not.

The runwas similar to verious overseas LTD launches.

You've got tk remember VC is not scales for mass production, they need to have spares for every watch they have ever made. With it being handmade they cannot ramp.

One of the major limiting factors on the VC production numbers is the Geneva seal. In order to achieve this status, there are the finish levels etc the watch must have. But also, the numbers allowed each year are limited. If VC were to decide to increase production of the overseas to say 20,000 pieces next year, it’s likely that they would have to do so without this accreditation.

Someone please provide more information on this.

Old 29 December 2021, 05:25 PM   #37
solaire
"TRF" Member

VC will not drop the Geneva seal.
Its on both the movement and caseback.

They won't be upping production.

Old 20 January 2022, 09:00 PM   #38
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Love this watch! Prob my favorite OS. Congrats!

airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 12:59 AM   #39
raclaims
"TRF" Member

The Everest is no joke one of my favorite watches in my collection
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2022, 08:41 PM   #40
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
The Everest is no joke one of my favorite watches in my collection

Your collection is just outstanding.

Old 26 January 2022, 08:56 PM   #41
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
I mean, wait and see is always a great strategy & comeback, but Richemont has a trash track record.

Yeah, VC, ALS, JLC, Cartier, Piaget, IWC, Panerai....total trash!!

The Richemont hate is something I don't understand.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 07:21 AM   #42
Jimbo
Banned

I would not be shocked if they release new Overseas with full titanium cases. It seems to make sense for a sports line.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 05:27 AM   #43
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Beautiful! But I think you mean a mountain to almost climb.
Old 29 January 2022, 11:00 AM   #44
ILoveFerrari
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Yeah, VC, ALS, JLC, Cartier, Piaget, IWC, Panerai....total trash!!

The Richemont hate is something I don't understand.
Seriously, just look at IWC, Lange, VC alone, come on. Richemont is indeed something to be reckon with.
ILoveFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 11:09 AM   #45
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

As a collection of watches and watchmakers, yes.

As a company that knows how to work with its collectors? No.
Old 29 January 2022, 01:57 PM   #46
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I don't totally disagree with GreenLantern but I also don't logically understand the Richemont watches hate. I think the "independent" thing is basically something that PP, AP, and Rolex fanboys comfort themselves with even though they are actually wearing watches that are more expensive and often lower quality than their conglomerate competitors.

And VC will not be getting rid of the Geneva seal to up production numbers and lower quality, which is exactly what PP has done.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 03:16 PM   #47
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Wells, since PP dropped the geneva seal there should be plenty of capacity right? I'm not convinced the Geneva seal really means they can't crazy out another 10k or 20k.watches a year.

Richemont group consistently does customers dirty. We all know the sins of Panerai, I don't think we need to go there. More recently they implemented the application piece program and bundling for ALS after forcing them to birth the odysseus, limited edition straps for the VC OS, killed quality control at JLC and Cartier, started sharing movements across the brands while calling them "in house" and on and on. My favorite is the consolidation of the service centers so your VC perpetual is going to the same place as a Baume and Mercier.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 03:27 PM   #48
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

The Richemont hate is because they mismanage their brands, their product portfolio, and also play musical chairs with the CEOs of those brands.
Old 29 January 2022, 11:25 PM   #49
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Beautiful! But I think you mean a mountain to almost climb.

I will drive carefully to the base, dressed appropriately, look up with my Everest strapped safety to my wrist, and point to the top.

That should do it

Old 30 January 2022, 05:30 AM   #50
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangos View Post
I will drive carefully to the base, dressed appropriately, look up with my Everest strapped safety to my wrist, and point to the top.

That should do it

Yes! Get the wrist pic and get out
Old 30 January 2022, 06:08 AM   #51
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Richemont hate is because they mismanage their brands, their product portfolio, and also play musical chairs with the CEOs of those brands.
Bwahahaha! I just saw Richemont is outsourcing Montblanc service to myjewelryrepair.com which is also the authorized service company for Sears, Macy's, and Victorinox. Richemont will literally cut any part of a brand if the numbers make sense.
Old 30 January 2022, 12:56 PM   #52
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Vacheron Constantin Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
Bwahahaha! I just saw Richemont is outsourcing Montblanc service to myjewelryrepair.com which is also the authorized service company for Sears, Macy's, and Victorinox. Richemont will literally cut any part of a brand if the numbers make sense.
But Montblanc is a re-packaged outsourced movement in a $2,000 aspirational wrapper.

You think someday they'll be working on $50-150k Vacheron in house time only, ultra-thin perpetuals, tourbillon etc ? What about Lange Datographs?

Is that the poo poo on Richemont / VC connection we're supposed to make?

This is an incoming thread for a watch that is every bit as well done as offerings from other major players.
Old 30 January 2022, 01:13 PM   #53
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But Montblanc is a re-packaged outsourced movement in a $2,000 aspirational wrapper.

You think someday they'll be working on $50-150k Vacheron in house time only, ultra-thin perpetuals, tourbillon etc ? What about Lange Datographs?

Is that the poo poo on Richemont / VC connection we're supposed to make?

This is an incoming thread for a watch that is every bit as well done as offerings from other major players.
I was only responding to the posts about Richemont mismanaging brands. The VC everest watches are awesome, I'd buy em of they'd let me, but both can be true. Richemont can be a poor brand steward and Richemont brands can make some great watches.

Make whatever connections you like but Richemont already collapsed VC service into their group service center. Only ALS has kept their service in house. Also, the montblanc watches based on Minerva Chrono and split seconds movements are pretty nice, I would not be happy dropping $60k on a watch only to be told to send it to myjewelryrepair.com.

Sent from my XQ-BE62 using Tapatalk
Old 30 January 2022, 02:58 PM   #54
malba2366
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Besides the Panerai disaster, I think they have done pretty well with Cartier, VC and ALS. Another very large watch brand is playing (or allowing its dealers to play) the same kinds of games that led to the downfall of Panerai.
malba2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 06:46 PM   #55
solaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
I was only responding to the posts about Richemont mismanaging brands. The VC everest watches are awesome, I'd buy em of they'd let me, but both can be true. Richemont can be a poor brand steward and Richemont brands can make some great watches.

Make whatever connections you like but Richemont already collapsed VC service into their group service center. Only ALS has kept their service in house. Also, the montblanc watches based on Minerva Chrono and split seconds movements are pretty nice, I would not be happy dropping $60k on a watch only to be told to send it to myjewelryrepair.com.

Sent from my XQ-BE62 using Tapatalk
So much wrong with this post.
VC service collapsed within the group? Well, that is an incorrect statement.
Services can be done in the Boutique, back at HQ, Richemont sites or at authorised service centres. This is normally down to how you send the watch of for repair, where you bought it from and what is required.
If a watch goes into the Richemont service centres, do you believe that it is far so discredited the watchmaker? Most times I have sent something in, it has always been done by VC not the group centre.
Onto the Montblanc part, MyjewelleryjRepair seem to be an external authorised service site. Nothing on their sites says they touch any other Richemont brands suggesting their watches makes don't meet the requirements to service say Vacheron. External companies can be accredited i.e Wempe can service Lange (Richemont) & Patek (Non Richemont Brand)
Call Richemont out when a group centre provides a poor service. It does happen, it does also happen with direct brand centres such as Rolex, London St James.
Old 1 February 2022, 08:43 PM   #56
Giangos
"TRF" Member

So anyway …. back to me

I know many people have concerns about a prestigious manufacturer being run by a large conglomerate. But look at ALS and the success that brand is having. People talk about them being equal to the the holy trinity now. And VC today compared to VC of 10 or even 5 years ago. What a difference. Surely the stewardship provided by richemont gets some credit here.

For sure they won’t get everything right. There will be some questionable releases at some point, but the direction seems solid to me. Actually solid is too tame, the direction is proving very successful for both brands. Anybody want to compare richemont of the last year or two to the shambles that is Zenith? Now there’s a mess! Plagiarism at its finest with some added Lupin inspired comical nonsense. Richemont is positively firing right now. Just like my barbecue

Old 1 February 2022, 10:28 PM   #57
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangos View Post
So anyway …. back to me

I know many people have concerns about a prestigious manufacturer being run by a large conglomerate. But look at ALS and the success that brand is having. People talk about them being equal to the the holy trinity now. And VC today compared to VC of 10 or even 5 years ago. What a difference. Surely the stewardship provided by richemont gets some credit here.

For sure they won’t get everything right. There will be some questionable releases at some point, but the direction seems solid to me. Actually solid is too tame, the direction is proving very successful for both brands. Anybody want to compare richemont of the last year or two to the shambles that is Zenith? Now there’s a mess! Plagiarism at its finest with some added Lupin inspired comical nonsense. Richemont is positively firing right now. Just like my barbecue

Back to you, indeed. That is in the purest form
Old 1 February 2022, 10:49 PM   #58
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’m holding out hope richemont will make an overseas to commemorate my buffalo bills attempt at a super bowl this year. They looked good doing it and almost made it.
Old 1 February 2022, 11:41 PM   #59
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’m holding out hope richemont will make an overseas to commemorate my buffalo bills attempt at a super bowl this year. They looked good doing it and almost made it.

Hehe. But did they cry in a tent?!
Old 2 February 2022, 02:34 AM   #60
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Hehe. But did they cry in a tent?!

I can neither confirm or deny. Cue someone who doesn’t enjoy sarcasm telling me to gtfo.