The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 January 2022, 09:15 PM   #31
yoast
"TRF" Member

I remember the JLC EWC had a case with internal springs that held the movement. They were banging it on the table to demonstrate its robustness when it was introduced. You'd be done for around 6-7k - good value
Old 18 January 2022, 10:16 PM   #32
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APGalore View Post
You seem to have an immense knowledge when it comes to watches, I've seen a few other replies of yours in different threads. Do you might have an alternative to an RM? It doesn't have to be a micro brand. I'm looking for a sportswatch with shock absorbers, inhouse movement and preferrably below CHF 250'000.00. The sports lines of Journe, Rolex and AP are nice but they aren't as "extreme" as I'd like them to be if that makes sense.
Not directed at me, but take a look at the MB&F Perpeptual Evo. Incredible in-house movement. Titanium case. 80 meters WR. Movement suspended on a flex ring to make it more shock proof. Integrated rubber strap. Well below your budget.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 10:30 PM   #33
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Do you might have an alternative to an RM?
Plenty. Yet need to know a bit more about you, your lifestyle, and the use of the timepiece.

Quote:
It doesn't have to be a micro brand. I'm looking for a sportswatch with shock absorbers
Why does it need to have a 'shock absorber'? Is there an inherent design and engineering situation with the timepiece's design that it requires such a device?

i've beaten the living sh*t out of a $3k Bell & Ross BR03-92 (first release with ETA movement) and it's never been serviced in ~14 years and still keeps great time and WP rating/seals are holding fine. Thx for the 'reminder-ish', I should bring it to AD today to be WP tested again.

Quote:
...they aren't as "extreme" as I'd like them to be if that makes sense.
MB&F Perpeptual Evo as another suggested. But really, how harsh an environment will you use it? CERN or electrostatic speaker with high magnetic forces? Driving a Formula car, as I did for two years with the B&R, where intense vibrations are a factor? Kiteboarding? X-Team racing (water and/or snow)? Polo matches? Desk jockey? Extreme fighting?

A G-Shock, as mentioned elsewhere, works great if you want to get seriously super extreme. Are you fighting insurgence? Are you an active 'Freedom Fighter' or a 'Terrorist' using a 50cal or higher daily (I can't quite figure out which is which of freedom versus terror, guess it depends on who you're 'rooting' for).

--------------
--------------

1. Please let us know how you plan on using it.

2. What environments will the timepiece be subjected to?

3. Please mention any other factors / aspects of your lifestyle you feel are important that we should know.

Thank you.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 11:19 PM   #34
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Looking at your thread history it seems like the past six months you’ve been thinking about all of the really popular watches that are unattainable without a relationship with the brand, your first thread in August was getting a Patek Nautilus, then a baguette dial Rolex Daytona, and then an FP Journe.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 11:27 PM   #35
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Not directed at me, but take a look at the MB&F Perpeptual Evo. Incredible in-house movement. Titanium case. 80 meters WR. Movement suspended on a flex ring to make it more shock proof. Integrated rubber strap. Well below your budget.

Exactly! Would have one for sure if I had the means. I’ve never been more tempted to increase my watch budget than the last year. So many insanely good independent pieces.
Old 18 January 2022, 11:45 PM   #36
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I had an enjoyable experience at the RM boutique a few months back and left a comment on the forum about it. I think it’s about managing expectations at this point. RM buyers are big league players to be honest. Ultimately the money is in your hand, you can buy any other watches you desire since your money is not tied down with the brand. If the watch comes, it’s a bonus.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 03:15 AM   #37
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
There is quite some snobbery around when people are being made to look like fools for inquiring about a watch with a genuine interest.

These watches are aggressively promoted, and AD's have to expect that people will drop by to inquire. It's absurd/misleading to promote a product that you have no intention of selling. I feel bad for the regular non-wis, who enters a store with excitement and gets hit by the door on the way out.
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 03:38 AM   #38
rlj676
"TRF" Member

For basically the tax bill on some RMs you could get the Ultra Light. It has been worn in competition (Olympics, etc) and is 55g, TI movement etc. Admittedly way less cache or looks than desired RM.
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 04:21 AM   #39
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^^ ooooh, THAT is a great suggestion! Nice coax movement too.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 19 January 2022, 04:58 AM   #40
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

50k for a titanium aqua terra? What am I missing here. Pretty sure a 3k version would survive any activities you can throw it’s way.
Old 19 January 2022, 05:09 AM   #41
Jari from Finland
"TRF" Member

It is boring

to hear your bad experience. In my opinion if someone is going to buy a watch at that price range the buyer candidate should always be treated well and friendly whether the watch in question is or isn't available. There are many who work at the customer service but forget that customers are those who pays their salaries.
Old 19 January 2022, 05:11 AM   #42
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
50k for a titanium aqua terra? What am I missing here. Pretty sure a 3k version would survive any activities you can throw it’s way.
Yup, probably so.

A $3k Bell&Ross is fine too. For ~$4k you can get a fun B&R bronze case timepiece and see it 'age' over time as you wear it :smoking:

The Bvlgari Octo FS is surprisingly durable, and there's lots of innovation from the movement to the bracelet. 100m WP too.

Am not a Hublot enthusiast, yet there's that if the case style has to be.....

Look fwd to the OP's reply to my questions in the previous post so we can better understand what may work best for OP's lifestyle.

Old 19 January 2022, 06:00 AM   #43
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Imagine laughing about your companys terrible service. I didn't get called back and they weren't even interested in disucssing watches with me, they just tried to push the 63-01. Hilarious!

Thanks for the otherwise useful inputs. I did look at MB&F, but I'm really looking for a no compromise sports watch, ideally with shock absobers like RM does it. Do you guys know any alternatives?
So many better options than RM for that. I like the already mentioned options like the Seamaster Ultralight and the IWC shock absorber. Some others:

JLC Extreme Lab 2 - case suspended in a case design one level up from the Extreme World watches mentioned since both inner and outer cases are titanium and the outer case fully wraps around the inner case.

De Bethune - most have a triple shock design for the balance and the automatic watches have a yuge center support for the automatic rotor designed designed to crush or be sacrificial in the case of massive shock to save the bearing and movement. For automatic watches the shock concern is more the heavy rotor than the balance which leads to...

Urwerk - some models have the option to slow/lock the automatic rotor entirely to prevent shock damage. Its like the RM system of adjustable rotor efficiency but user adjustable and well, better since the design is based on their turbine system which is itself a shock buffer for the rotor.

GO Sport Evo Impact series - the budget option with the entire movement and dial suspended in the case by polymer bumpers/shock protector.

Really though, you could just get a Rolex and never have a problem. Many military watches with tested shock and vibration ratings use ETA movements with no special shock protection. I'm not saying RMs are garbage, just saying there are a world of watches available for sporting use if you have RM money to spend.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 06:17 AM   #44
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The ultimate flex is buying extremely high priced (overpriced) luxury goods that LOSE money, not make it.

Ultimately it’s just like an RM in that it is ultra light weight and can be worn for sports. A regular aqua terra… is less light weight lol.

Actually it has a TI manual wind movement which I presume to be more robust than the normal coax 8800 or whatever in a normal AT.
Old 19 January 2022, 06:20 AM   #45
rlj676
"TRF" Member

How about if you want to take on some real g forces and could afford to hand em out like party favors relative to RM?

https://us.bremont.com/products/mbii-bk-jet
Old 19 January 2022, 06:34 AM   #46
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Am humbled by the excellent suggestions above. ^^^^

OP, listen to their wisdom.

I do like the handing out Bremont to friends idea. Maybe ask Bremont for a custom run of 100 pieces with special dial with your company name, or family crest, etc. Then gift them to important biz partners, family, friends.... THAT would be epic

Old 19 January 2022, 07:25 AM   #47
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Am humbled by the excellent suggestions above. ^^^^

OP, listen to their wisdom.

I do like the handing out Bremont to friends idea. Maybe ask Bremont for a custom run of 100 pieces with special dial with your company name, or family crest, etc. Then gift them to important biz partners, family, friends.... THAT would be epic
Truly would be baller move. Who wouldn’t love a friend like that!

They make it in a tan color I really like too, they could mix it up for that run in a great unique color.

In any case it seems nothing is a direct competitor to RM in the style dept other than the torneau cased Hublots, which are another option that save a lot of money.

Is it obvious here I am not shopping in the league of high horology, thankfully there are folks here who have that all very well covered.

Maybe they’ll hook you up with an ejection seat trial run !
Old 19 January 2022, 07:43 AM   #48
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj676 View Post
IKR? Plus anyone with a few BTC can get an RM, yet your own private run of timepieces is priceless! Baller move for sure

PS: If OP uses his company on the dial and gives them away, BONUS it's a biz write-off. We call that Smart Money.

Old 19 January 2022, 08:42 AM   #49
kunlun
"TRF" Member

How about a 5000g resistant tourbillon?
https://monochrome-watches.com/spiro...per-daily-use/
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 09:32 AM   #50
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The ultimate flex is buying extremely high priced (overpriced) luxury goods that LOSE money, not make it.

Ultimately it’s just like an RM in that it is ultra light weight and can be worn for sports. A regular aqua terra… is less light weight lol.

Actually it has a TI manual wind movement which I presume to be more robust than the normal coax 8800 or whatever in a normal AT.

I sort of completely agree there. I just don’t see this one as a watch that I’d go for even in that mindset. Maybe the new WG 321 even though it’s absurd I like the product.
Old 19 January 2022, 09:53 AM   #51
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I sort of completely agree there. I just don’t see this one as a watch that I’d go for even in that mindset. Maybe the new WG 321 even though it’s absurd I like the product.
Yeah I don’t think the style is for me necessarily, and definitely not the price, but I think it’s cool they make it. It was all over the Olympics last summer which I thought was cool.

For some reason gold Omega stuff just doesn’t appeal to me like a PM Rolex.
Old 19 January 2022, 10:24 AM   #52
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Why were you expecting or asking then to give you a callback? I don't really understand the point of this. Not trolling but if you were them, why would they do this
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 10:46 AM   #53
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Should have added "mechanical" inhouse movement lol. In my mind RM is the mechanical equivalent to G-Shock in terms of toughness and even looks to an extent. Do you know another brand that makes watches like that?
Hublot.

https://www.hublot.com/en-us/watches/spirit-of-big-bang

Do I win a prize?

Old 19 January 2022, 11:15 AM   #54
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
At least hublot is in house and not a skeletonized vaucher movement
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 11:18 AM   #55
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:

They make it in a tan color I really like too, they could mix it up for that run in a great unique color.

In any case it seems nothing is a direct competitor to RM in the style dept other than the torneau cased Hublots, which are another option that save a lot of money.

Is it obvious here I am not shopping in the league of high horology, thankfully there are folks here who have that all very well covered.

Maybe they’ll hook you up with an ejection seat trial run !
Quote:
I’ll split the prize lol. I don’t think they’re quite as “sporty” though but some have crazy materials/construction. All saphire case if you’d like.

I actually like these… and have seen for around $15k used so could be tempted someday if I have that burning a hole in my pocket.
Old 19 January 2022, 11:40 AM   #56
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You beat me to it. Yep! The Hublot SoBB. I’d take one of these, at a deep discount.
Old 19 January 2022, 11:49 AM   #57
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
at least hublot is in house and not a skeletonized vaucher movement
attachment-Willy-Wonka.jpg

Old 19 January 2022, 12:38 PM   #58
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Personally I have no clue about the buzz around Richard Mille, to me it looks like some plastic junk from Ali Express, guess I am getting old : )

Don’t get the shape of the watch or how to tell time on it when it’s so much stuff igoing on in the dial : )

The thing I get is the lightness and that it have some cool materials and in-house movement etc…anyway, sorry to be so grumpy on the RM, OP… : )
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 12:51 PM   #59
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I have the ultra light omega
It’s super cool and no one will chop your arm off exiting a restaurant as they have no idea what it is
For golfers it’s awesome and it’s really a sweet sports watch and you can enjoy winding it etc
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 02:38 PM   #60
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Went to LA. Didn’t get to bang Jessica Alba. LA is trash I can’t believe people pretend it’s worth visiting. Taking my talents to Miami.
Not gonna lie, just here for GB-man's comments.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote