The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 January 2022, 10:50 AM   #31
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

It’s not the arrow, it’s the archer.

I know this isn’t what anyone wants to hear but I would invest the money into lessons and time on the range. Jack Nicklaus is 81 and he would beat me like a drum with a set of ladies clubs with hickory shafts from the 1920s.

When you can break 90 and are making solid, consistent strides then some game improvement might come from clubs but the truth is today’s technology means just about any known brand will be a great choice.

Good luck with your game. Golf is the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 10:56 AM   #32
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timepieceluvr View Post
It’s not the arrow, it’s the archer.

I know this isn’t what anyone wants to hear but I would invest the money into lessons and time on the range. Jack Nicklaus is 81 and he would beat me like a drum with a set of ladies clubs with hickory shafts from the 1920s.

When you can break 90 and are making solid, consistent strides then some game improvement might come from clubs but the truth is today’s technology means just about any known brand will be a great choice.

Good luck with your game. Golf is the best

Close thread?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 11:00 AM   #33
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
From my experience, Cleveland makes really good clubs that are well priced for beginners. Ones you can feel good using when you are beyond beginner and if you decide to trade up, will have value to trade with.

I’m with you on the disappearance of 3 and 4 irons… have no idea what the hybrid is to replace them, but irs certainly more expensive…
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 11:11 AM   #34
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I like my Taylormade clubs. A lot of golf is your club path and swing speed, don’t sweat the clubs. Game improvement and larger club face models are optimal for new golfers. I’m relatively new to golf, last year when I started I had the misconception that expensive clubs would improve my game….instead I look like a clown to others on the course with a $3,000 set of clubs and a $5 game and a 50 yard slice. Been taking lessons since …hindsight cheaper clubs more lessons would have been better ROI.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 01:17 PM   #35
2x4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Skydweller
I’m sorry for your illness. You thought watches were expensive, if you are bit by the bug to hard, there are ways to spend millions to get better. Get fitted no excuses, take 6 lessons from your local pro. This won’t help you break 90, but maybe it will get you into good habits/swing and not bad. Once you have bad habits, you will never lose them.
GMT II
2x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 08:01 PM   #36
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
Ping eye 2 copper beryllium find a good set best clubs made.
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 11:55 AM   #37
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
When I started playing about 3 years ago, I bought a set of Wilson Clubs at Roger Dunn Golf. Salesman said it was a good beginners set and would last me 2-3 years before I would need a better set. Came with Driver, Fairway Wood, Hybrid, Irons 6-9, Pitching Wedge, Sand Wedge and Putter. I think it was $399 on sale for $299.

Last March, I upgraded the driver to a Ping G425 Max driver and gained at least 50 yards on my drive. Now I'm hitting in the 230-250 yard range on flat ground. Now considering the matching set of irons and the Fairway Wood. I rarely use my Hybrid. Just not sure on which kind of shafts and stiffness to get.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 12:05 PM   #38
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Any lefties in here with some solid club
recommendations?

airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 01:14 PM   #39
selpo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
Any lefties in here with some solid club
recommendations?

Lefty here playing to a 12 handicap.

Got fitted and despite loving the feel of Titleist AP1, was told I was more consistent with Ping i20's, 5-AW and have come to really love them.
UST recoil 660 graphite shafts in regular flex and really helped get rid of my epicondylitis.
Cleveland 54 degree and Ping glide 58 degree wedge.

Driver is a TM M2 with Fujikura ventus stiff flex and TM RBZ tour 3wood in stiff flex.

Good luck.

TM RBZ 3 and TM RBZ2 4 hybrid in stiff flex .
selpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 01:32 PM   #40
imjunho
"TRF" Member

Picked up golf after a 10 year hiatus.

I used my old set of Callaway FT irons and my Taylor Made R7 driver, Cleveland Zip groove wedges and got myself some lessons. Best decision ever, and after re-gripping my old clubs they were serviceable for my lessons. Didn't bother with fairway woods as my swing speed was way lower than before.

I concur with getting fitted also, I was fit into Titelist T300 irons, Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid and a Titelist TSi2 driver after about 3 months of lessons. I bought a Ping 7wood and an Adams tight lies 3wood used at the big box stores (I like this method because usually can test them out). Completed the set with Costco Wedges (can't beat them for the money).

Could I use my old set? Sure, but with the new technology it makes it so much more fun. My T300s are considered game improvement irons but my swing speed is above average, definitely not tour level. Got fit into Project LZ 6.0 120shafts. Best of both worlds, game improvement head with a shaft I can grow into.

My handicap is dropping and having a blast. I think I got lucky tho, my fitter knows me pretty well as I practice often at the bays at Golftec. I think having screen golf for lessons and fittings are a game changer. Did not have this tech back when I was learning and what I would have given to have access to this.
imjunho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 07:56 AM   #41
Oleglozi
"TRF" Member

Mostly a driver and the right irons
Oleglozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 09:26 AM   #42
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
This sounds pretty close to my initial thoughts

Driver, 5W, 3H, 5-PW, SW, putter

Sound about right? Add more hybrids down the road eventually
Swap out the hybrid 3 for a 3 wood. That way you can use your 3 wood off the tee when struggling with driver or needing less yardage. Switch the 5 wood to a 5 hybrid, because you will likely use a lot more off the fairway and short rough than off tee and hybrid will be easier for you to hit off the ground. Lastly, add a gap wedge between your PW and SW. Stick to 56 degree sand wedge and stay away from the 60 degree. The 60 degree lob is very difficult to hit starting off. I'd recommend a mallet type putter as well vs the more classic blade style. Definitely cavity back irons. And agree absolutely no 3 iron or 4 iron needed for you. Enjoy playing!
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 10:05 AM   #43
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Swap out the hybrid 3 for a 3 wood. That way you can use your 3 wood off the tee when struggling with driver or needing less yardage. Switch the 5 wood to a 5 hybrid, because you will likely use a lot more off the fairway and short rough than off tee and hybrid will be easier for you to hit off the ground. Lastly, add a gap wedge between your PW and SW. Stick to 56 degree sand wedge and stay away from the 60 degree. The 60 degree lob is very difficult to hit starting off. I'd recommend a mallet type putter as well vs the more classic blade style. Definitely cavity back irons. And agree absolutely no 3 iron or 4 iron needed for you. Enjoy playing!
Appreciate the tips. I already got most of my clubs, but some of your suggestions worked out. The iron set came with 5-9 irons, pitching wedge, and approach (gap) wedge. Additionally, I purchased a 56 degree sand wedge. Not bothering with a lob wedge at this point. So, we are pretty close on that.

I did get a 3-hybrid. So too late for that one. I have a 3 and 5 wood from the old set. Very old, and the grips are too big, but I'm going to hold off on buying new ones until I get a few rounds under me. The woods scare me more than anything, particularly trying to hit off the deck. I may do exactly what you say and swap the 5 wood out for a hybrid; that's a good point. The mallet putter is already on order

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 03:39 AM   #44
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Appreciate the tips. I already got most of my clubs, but some of your suggestions worked out. The iron set came with 5-9 irons, pitching wedge, and approach (gap) wedge. Additionally, I purchased a 56 degree sand wedge. Not bothering with a lob wedge at this point. So, we are pretty close on that.

I did get a 3-hybrid. So too late for that one. I have a 3 and 5 wood from the old set. Very old, and the grips are too big, but I'm going to hold off on buying new ones until I get a few rounds under me. The woods scare me more than anything, particularly trying to hit off the deck. I may do exactly what you say and swap the 5 wood out for a hybrid; that's a good point. The mallet putter is already on order

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
I would do exactly the opposite. Keep the 5 wood and get rid of the 3 wood. The 5 is a little easier to hit off the turf and you do need to develop that skill. You can also use it off the tee if needed but I would tell you to keep hitting that driver. Getting the driver to work well and consistent on the par 4's and 5's will help your score more than having a 3 wood.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 04:39 AM   #45
md3113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
I would do exactly the opposite. Keep the 5 wood and get rid of the 3 wood. The 5 is a little easier to hit off the turf and you do need to develop that skill. You can also use it off the tee if needed but I would tell you to keep hitting that driver. Getting the driver to work well and consistent on the par 4's and 5's will help your score more than having a 3 wood.
This is good advice.
md3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 02:52 AM   #46
520Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, LV,GMT II Pep
what brand irons did you get?. Sorry if i missed this answer
520Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 03:11 AM   #47
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 520Matt View Post
what brand irons did you get?. Sorry if i missed this answer
Went with Callaway. The Rogue irons they sell at Dick's. That was about the most I wanted to spend at this point.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 03:48 AM   #48
2furious
"TRF" Member

The Costco Callaway set can be a good one for you. It has Driver, 3 wood, 5 hybrid, 6-pw, sw, and a putter. You cannot beat this deal. The club is not cheapy one. You can start from these and change a bit (eg, add 5 wood and get rid of 3 wood etc.)

Good luck and hit straight !!
2furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 04:21 AM   #49
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In my 50's and finally decided to get into golf. Took some lessons. Attempted to play a couple times at courses.

Simple question. I currently have a 20+ year old set of clubs. Time to replace/upgrade.

What clubs do people carry these days? I'm new the the whole hybrid thing. Even fairway woods are sort of new to me.

I have a brand new driver. Can someone point me to what clubs to carry other than the driver and putter? Seems like most iron sets go from PW to 5. I guess hybrids are taking the place of long irons now?

Confusing. Can you recommend what clubs a novice 50 y/o+ golfer like myself have in my bag these days?
Starting golf at 50? Get an excellent blood pressure monitor! LOL.
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 04:36 AM   #50
saturdayAMswingers
"TRF" Member

Weight (both shaft and total) are the most important aspect for beginners. Find a demo day or free fitting center, and hit 3 different weight classes of shafts for holes in the bag.

Too heavy or too light will cause initial swing flaws that you will fight for the duration. Every player has a preference, whether or not they know it. What works for one doesn't mean it will work for you. Very few "bad" golf clubs are made these days amongst mainstream OEM's.
saturdayAMswingers is offline   Reply With Quote