The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 November 2023, 05:48 AM   #1
Tuzz313
"TRF" Member

SAM Machine Nuke Power Rolex Concern

All I work in a nuclear power plant. I am deciding whether to where my Rolex Datejust in the area of the plant where there is radiation. When we leave the area we need to place are materials in a SAM which is essentially a detector that scans articles for potential radioactive contamination.

Is anyone on the forum familiar with this and can provide insight as to whether this can potentially damage the watch ?
Tuzz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 05:53 AM   #2
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
I’m not a nuclear physicist but not sure how the machine could harm the watch. It doesn’t create magnetism does it? I would think the watch is good to go. I bet you absorb more radiation in a flight from LA to NY than you do at your plant.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 05:56 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Your watch will not become radioactive before you will.

Once upon a time Rolex did make non luminous watches for workers around radioactive areas, but that was to keep the lume from destroying itself prematurely. Lume is no longer radioluminescent - your watch will not notice where it is at.
Old 16 November 2023, 05:57 AM   #4
Tuzz313
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
I’m not a nuclear physicist but not sure how the machine could harm the watch. It doesn’t create magnetism does it? I would think the watch is good to go. I bet you absorb more radiation in a flight from LA to NY than you do at your plant.

Definitely not concerned about radiation definitely get very little dose but I am not sure if the machine uses magnetism I have done some searches online and haven’t been able to figure it out in my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 November 2023, 06:22 AM   #5
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuzz313 View Post
Definitely not concerned about radiation definitely get very little dose but I am not sure if the machine uses magnetism I have done some searches online and haven’t been able to figure it out in my own.

From what I understand the machines mostly work by measuring ionisation caused by the radioactive particles and that ionisation is measured as an electrical charge. So no magnets.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 06:28 AM   #6
dwaine99
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I don't have a degree in Nuclear Engineering but I wore a watch when I worked in the reactor compartments of submarines for 13 years. My lifetime work exposure was less than 3,000 mrem. Some of the areas were designated as high radiation areas ( >100 Mrem/hr) where wearing additional dosimetry was required but never had any issues...My government always told us that radiation was relatively safe.......... Ask your Radcon personnel....

Check this site out for annual radiation exposure based on your habits, etc... https://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/radiat...alculator.html
Old 16 November 2023, 06:58 AM   #7
Littletommy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 08:14 AM   #8
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaine99 View Post
I don't have a degree in Nuclear Engineering but I wore a watch when I worked in the reactor compartments of submarines for 13 years. My lifetime work exposure was less than 3,000 mrem. Some of the areas were designated as high radiation areas ( >100 Mrem/hr) where wearing additional dosimetry was required but never had any issues...My government always told us that radiation was relatively safe.......... Ask your Radcon personnel....

Check this site out for annual radiation exposure based on your habits, etc... https://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/radiat...alculator.html
Glad you said this, shipmate. I've absorbed more radiation from the sun hanging out of MH-60Rs than eating three meals a day in either the mess decks or the wardroom.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 09:27 AM   #9
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

Once again, I will say it appears I'm not smart enough to own a watch and contribute to this forum...
Avs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 10:06 AM   #10
physicist
"TRF" Member

Wear your watch without concern. The detectors you encounter when you leave will not harm your watch.
physicist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 11:25 AM   #11
Tuzz313
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaine99 View Post

I am on board I do not think radiation is a concern at all I was specifically asking regarding the SAM detector. I think I got like 100 mrem last year nothing at all to worry about.

Old 16 November 2023, 01:00 PM   #12
nickrb
"TRF" Member

I am a Nuclear Engineering PhD.

Where do you work in the plant?

Are you asking about a hand and foot monitor? If so, I think the only potential concerns are if you get radioactive material on your watch, it would have to stay behind permanently. Unless you are regularly in areas contaminated with radioactive material, this isn't much of a concern, especially if your watch stays under your shirt sleeve. Shoes are much more likely to need to get left behind.

The other thing to worry about, depending on where you work, would be magnetism. I guess this could be an issue if you are hanging out by the generators.
nickrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 02:11 PM   #13
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

SAM Machine Nuke Power Rolex Concern

What model SAM are they using?

Look like this?

The most common concern in power plants is magnetizing the movement and in turn affecting accuracy. This is reversible by de-magnetizing the watch. If you are concerned about other aspects, please spell them out.

Back to SAM detectors in general, here are some thoughts.

Generally, spectrometer systems do not emit strong magnetic fields - therefore don’t magnetize the watch. The components of the system, such as the detector, photodetector, amplifiers, and analog-to-digital converter, do not generate significant magnetic fields during their normal operation.

However, it's worth noting that other spectrometer systems may include magnets or magnetic shielding to enhance their performance or reduce interference from external magnetic fields. In such cases, the magnetic fields generated by these components are typically localized and contained within the system, posing no harm to the surrounding environment or individuals. But if the shielding is compromised by mistakes from your SAM operator, anything is possible.

It's always important that they follow proper safety protocols and guidelines when working with radiation detection equipment to ensure the well-being of individuals and the environment.

My guess is that your work environment could create more EMI than a detector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 03:12 PM   #14
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
If your body can handle it, your watch will too
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote