The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 July 2018, 08:56 AM   #1
Sub King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
First Luxury Watch: Black Bay 58 or Sub-C?

I’ve wanted a Submariner 114060 as my first luxury watch for many years, but I held off until I felt I was more deserving of such an opulent purchase.

Now, as I am closer to that time, the Tudor Black Bay Fifty-Eight has come out. This watch, in my opinion, is an absolute stunner. I think it’s at least as good looking as the Submariner, and certainly the more exciting aesthetically. Furthermore, as my wrist is a mere 6.25 inches, the Tudor is a slightly better fit.

All this to say that I’m questioning whether I should cough up over 2x the cash for the Rolex. A bit of context: I am just shy of 20-years-old, and intend to wear this watch daily for the next few years, after which I will probably add the one that I decided to initially forgoe.

I’d love to hear what you all think. Thanks a lot in advance!
Sub King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 09:02 AM   #2
ReluctantlyRolex
Banned

I’d get the 58 used and then upgrade later to the sub. If you don’t mind the hassle you won’t lose much in the process since the 58 is likely going to be in demand for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ReluctantlyRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 09:03 AM   #3
jeffgo888
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me disappear into
Of your debating means you like the Rolex more. Don't settle
Get the Rolex

jeffgo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 09:13 AM   #4
Brucewayne1
"TRF" Member

Get the Sub. You will spend the next few years looking down at something special rather than spending the next few years spotting on other people’s wrists.

On the other hand if you find the Black Bay more pleasing...
Brucewayne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 09:15 AM   #5
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
20170716_112646-768x1024.jpgsubc. it is the bees knees. my wrist isnt much bigger thab yours at 6.4 or so

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 09:18 AM   #6
ReluctantlyRolex
Banned

Wait and get the 58 used then flip it later when you’re ready to upgrade. You’ll unlikely to lose much given the 58 is in high demand. Though it’s a bit of a hassle but you have fun along the way.
ReluctantlyRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 09:36 AM   #7
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
If it were me I’d pick the one I like the most, regardless of the price difference. You’re comparing a Tudor and a Rolex so of course there will be a significant price difference. Life is short, get the one you want and admire it everyday.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 09:50 AM   #8
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

First time, spend the money and get the Rolex. You won't regret it.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 10:08 AM   #9
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570

To play the game of many posters I'lI tell you my own preference. In the end that's all anyone is saying. Their own preference.

It sounds like you want the 58 but feel that you should get the Sub. Go and try both on. Handle them. Oh and by the way, hands down winner.

I went to buy the Sub I always wanted a few years back. Walked out of the store after buying a watch I loved them and do today. An Explorer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 10:10 AM   #10
T01
"TRF" Member

Subc
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 10:12 AM   #11
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Buy the one you like best.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 10:18 AM   #12
op90no2
"TRF" Member

Forgive me, but I'm genuinely curious: What does it take at nineteen to "be deserving" of a $7,500 watch?

It would be an interesting discussion if my nineteen year-old son told me he wanted a new Rolex.
op90no2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 10:35 AM   #13
desmoboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
The SubC is the classic sports watch, the Fifty-Eight is the new kid on the block. Get both if you can.. my preference is this one :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Q78A3957xcrop(best).jpg (155.2 KB, 954 views)
desmoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 10:38 AM   #14
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Always the Sub. Is the perfect watch.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 10:39 AM   #15
Sub King
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by op90no2 View Post
Forgive me, but I'm genuinely curious: What does it take at nineteen to "be deserving" of a $7,500 watch?

It would be an interesting discussion if my nineteen year-old son told me he wanted a new Rolex.

I certainly do appreciate how lucky I am to be in a position where it is remotely possible to spend that kind of coin on a watch. When I said “more deserving”, I was speaking relative to my younger self. But I suppose everyone on this forum is blessed because many people in the world cannot afford basic necessities at any age, let alone a luxury watch. I try to be grateful for what I have everyday
Old 23 July 2018, 10:41 AM   #16
Sub King
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmoboy View Post
The SubC is the classic sports watch, the Fifty-Eight is the new kid on the block. Get both if you can.. my preference is this one :)
The ideal scenario is definitely to have both

Awesome picture
Old 23 July 2018, 10:43 AM   #17
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub King View Post
I certainly do appreciate how lucky I am to be in a position where it is remotely possible to spend that kind of coin on a watch. When I said “more deserving”, I was speaking relative to my younger self. But I suppose everyone on this forum is blessed because many people in the world cannot afford basic necessities at any age, let alone a luxury watch. I try to be grateful for what I have everyday
Good honest answer. Please note, in the future you do not need to justify to anyone how you choose to spend your money.

If you want the sub, get the sub. The 58 (as intended) looks too dated to me.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 10:44 AM   #18
nvrp813
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantlyRolex View Post
Wait and get the 58 used then flip it later when you’re ready to upgrade. You’ll unlikely to lose much given the 58 is in high demand. Though it’s a bit of a hassle but you have fun along the way.

Completely agree. See if you like not having a date. Maybe you’ll find you like the case shape better with the 58, than the blocky lugs on the Sub.
nvrp813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 10:49 AM   #19
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

I prefer the subC by default since I have never seen the 58 before.
Old 23 July 2018, 11:01 AM   #20
op90no2
"TRF" Member

Absolutely right, he doesn't have to justify his spending choices to anyone.

I will beg your pardon, knowing what this site is all about. I just happen to feel strongly that except in the most unusual circumstances it's not prudent for a teenager to spend that kind of money on a watch. I also think there are disadvantages to owning such things early in life, even if they are given as gifts.

Call me a killjoy if you want. The questions I would always ask are "Who's paying for it?" and if it's the teenager's own money, "Can you truly make the case that the benefits of owning this watch outweigh the opportunity cost of not saving and investing the money?"

If I were to be less diplomatic about it, I would say these watches are toys for grown adults who have the means to afford them, taking into consideration their overall financial picture. And, in my opinion, it's nonsense for teenagers to be buying them. I would also say that the existence of forums like this may induce a state of mind in people of all ages that encourages them to be fiscally irresponsible.

For example, I am in my mid fifties and have several million dollars in my retirement fund. And yet, though I would like to buy more watches, I don't because it doesn't seem like the best use of my money.

I hope you will take this as an honest expression of a particular point of view, and not as an attempt to start a fight. As the father of a nineteen year-old and a twenty-three year old, I'm in the habit of giving financial advice to young people.

If you think I'm out of line, please let me know and I will promptly commit sodoku.
Old 23 July 2018, 11:18 AM   #21
Sub King
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Absolutely right, he doesn't have to justify his spending choices to anyone.

I will beg your pardon, knowing what this site is all about. I just happen to feel strongly that except in the most unusual circumstances it's not prudent for a teenager to spend that kind of money on a watch. I also think there are disadvantages to owning such things early in life, even if they are given as gifts.

Call me a killjoy if you want. The questions I would always ask are "Who's paying for it?" and if it's the teenager's own money, "Can you truly make the case that the benefits of owning this watch outweigh the opportunity cost of not saving and investing the money?"

If I were to be less diplomatic about it, I would say these watches are toys for grown adults who have the means to afford them, taking into consideration their overall financial picture. And, in my opinion, it's nonsense for teenagers to be buying them. I would also say that the existence of forums like this may induce a state of mind in people of all ages that encourages them to be fiscally irresponsible.

For example, I am in my mid fifties and have several million dollars in my retirement fund. And yet, though I would like to buy more watches, I don't because it doesn't seem like the best use of my money.

I hope you will take this as an honest expression of a particular point of view, and not as an attempt to start a fight. As the father of a nineteen year-old and a twenty-three year old, I'm in the habit of giving financial advice to young people.

If you think I'm out of line, please let me know and I will promptly commit sodoku.
Speaking for myself personally, I’d like to say that I really do appreciate your advice. It means a lot that you care about my financial security even though the theme of the forum is of course to spend money on watches.

You are right that I should think very carefully before spending money in a potentially reckless way. Perhaps the wisest move would be for the luxury watch to come at a later date; it’s definitely something to think long and hard about!

Once again, thanks for looking out for my best interests
Old 23 July 2018, 11:32 AM   #22
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub King View Post
Speaking for myself personally, I’d like to say that I really do appreciate your advice. It means a lot that you care about my financial security even though the theme of the forum is of course to spend money on watches.

You are right that I should think very carefully before spending money in a potentially reckless way. Perhaps the wisest move would be for the luxury watch to come at a later date; it’s definitely something to think long and hard about!

Once again, thanks for looking out for my best interests

I bought a 1680 at maybe 23-24. I wasn’t making a whole lot of money in comparison to those on this board. In comparison to many my age i was doing well. I think i paid $6000 maybe a little more. I was beyond excited, i was absolutely beaming as i had been dreaming about buying my first Rolex since i was 13. But, the love affair faded. Not because i didn’t love the watch, but because i truly couldn’t afford it. I was getting engaged and didn’t prepare well enough, watch was gone. Fast forward, I’m 31, have a great career and i am much more financially stable. I Have bought a few watches in between the first sub and today. I Just recently bought a new explorer and i can tell you i finally feel like it’s the right time. Funded using spare cash. Finally, a Rolex back on my wrist.

My point is, if you can afford it now and not have it affect you in any way, then buy it. There is also nothing wrong with putting a few hundred bucks a month away in a spare account and buying the Rolex when you are sure. These are absolutely non necessity wrist toys. We all love them and the feeling of having one is really special. However, the embarrassment of having to sell one because you pulled the trigger too early is not fun, take it from me.

Best of luck my friend!

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 11:34 AM   #23
op90no2
"TRF" Member

It's fine. I appreciate your response. Here's the thing. I bought a lot of expensive stuff when I was in my twenties. There were two negative consequences. The first is that I missed the opportunity to invest the money and become a gazillionaire instead of a millionaire. Of course, the zombie apocalypse may arrive any day now and then you'll be left with a worthless bank account and no chance to ever wear that Rolex. There are no certainties in life.

The second consequence is that by owning so many nice things so early on I kind of spoiled the thrill for the future. There's nothing like your first kiss, if you understand what I'm saying. It took me many years to understand that the excitement of getting a new toy wears off quickly and often just leaves you wanting for more. I still make the mistake even now, the result being that I have a number of expensive toys that I don't enjoy as much as I ought to.

If you decide to make the purchase, I would recommend the BB58. It's a beautiful watch, arguably a better value, every bit as high quality as a Rolex, and though we'll have to wait and see, probably not as common as the Submariner.
Old 23 July 2018, 11:59 AM   #24
op90no2
"TRF" Member

Hi, Sub King. I got your PM and sent you two replies. For some reason, the messages don't show in my sent folder. Let me know here if you didn't receive them and we can try to find another way to communicate.

Thanks.

Edit: Apparently you need to check a box in your profile to save sent messages. Mine was unchecked. Hopefully we're all set then.
Old 23 July 2018, 12:26 PM   #25
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
One good thing about spending your money on a fine "Luxury" timepiece you can enjoy it and get most of your money back if you need too, especially with 114060

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 12:39 PM   #26
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sodoku is like a math crossword puzzle. Seppuku is suicide with sword.

I think it was very kind of you to give such advice. I think more people should be open about sharing their Financial knowledge with people who are younger.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 12:46 PM   #27
darkside7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C
This is the Rolex forum. Get the sub and call it a day.
Old 23 July 2018, 02:02 PM   #28
op90no2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
Sodoku is like a math crossword puzzle. Seppuku is suicide with sword.

I think it was very kind of you to give such advice. I think more people should be open about sharing their Financial knowledge with people who are younger.
Thanks. I'm glad my advice wasn't off the mark.

About sodoku... I would gladly do a math puzzle if it would improve my reputation on the forum. But ritual suicide? I'm not that committed.

I chose the word deliberately, LOL.
Old 23 July 2018, 02:09 PM   #29
TakeYourTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes daily
Get the Sub.... otherwise you will risk that you're not 100% satisfied and you will keep looking at Sub pictures
TakeYourTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 02:19 PM   #30
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

You received some really nice sage advice on this thread. I purchased my first Rolex a year ago at the age of 42 and my second one two weeks ago. I hope you end up making a decision that is financially sound. You are 19 and you have plenty of time to save now and purchase later. If are you 1/2 as intelligent as your original post and subsequent responses make you sound, then you will have no problem achieving your dream in 10-15 years. You sound like a great kid and you’re going to be just fine.
SFBAY is offline   Reply With Quote