The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 February 2019, 11:24 AM   #1
Tim010
"TRF" Member

Importing BMW Z3 from Japan to Canada

Hi everyone, I decided to import a Z3 from Japan to Canada and finally found a suitable one a few days ago that I won at auction. There didn't seem to be much choice within Canada and the car I got has 73,000km and is a one owner car. I considered importing one from the US but with the crappy exchange rate our end and the good deals in Japan I decided to purchase from the auctions there.

It was originally built in Germany then officially imported to Japan and is a 2.0 litre LHD car. It received a very good auction grade of 4.5 so hoping it will be as good as it sounds when it arrives at my house in a few months. I've used a highly recommended broker in Japan (Mark Bremner at Brave Auto International) and am using a guy local to me in Alberta to handle the logistics of the deal from this side.

I only have the generic auction photos at the moment but should get a full album soon of the car once it is tested to ensure it is as described prior to export. I've attached a few photos below and hopefully they upload ok.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic1.jpg (18.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Pic4.jpg (19.0 KB, 117 views)
Tim010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:31 AM   #2
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Those are such fun cars to drive when they are sorted properly. I had a M Coupe back in the day with a bunch of Dinan parts on it. Ran pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 01:19 PM   #3
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
It sounds more doable than to the US. I hope you figure it out, great car.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 02:32 PM   #4
Tim010
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
It sounds more doable than to the US. I hope you figure it out, great car.
Yeah any car over 15 years old can be imported into Canada without any issues. Some minor advantages on the Japan cars are the speedometer is solely KMH and they seem to be fairly low mileage. A lot of the cars in the US seemed to be fairly high miles comparatively.

Obviously it would be preferable to view the car in person prior to buying but even if I bought the car from the US it would more likely be from one of the southern states which would cost me a good amount of $$$ to get it to the border and then similar importation costs as those are from Japan anyway.

The shitty exchange rate for me as well didn't help regarding buying one from the US. It's about $1.30 CAD to buy $1.00 US at the moment so not even close to par anymore.

Tim
Old 24 February 2019, 01:15 AM   #5
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
You'll have a blast in the summer hitting the open road with this thing. Update us further once it arrives
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:21 AM   #6
timedate
-

Fair play to you, its something i have wanted to do for a while, but i always find a reason not to. I am after a landcruiser amazon, the british stuff is a minefield with chassis rust issues, there are good ones, but they tend to be few and far between. I was considering buying from california and having to adapt to lhd, but japan obviously means i wouldnt have that difference.

What auction house did you use?

Good luck with this, i love the Z3, i reckon you will be happy with a good auction rating like that.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:23 AM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations in advance, looks like a fun one
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:39 AM   #8
Chrislec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Awesome car, awesome design. I own mine for 16 years. a beautiful limited edition in British racing green with M design. I drive it very rarely, it's like taking out the jewels (less than 20,000km at the counter, yes!) But what an amazing pleasure when coming back home and taking it out on sea shore roads on in the countryside hills...

You won't regret it. You'll have a lot of fun with it!

PS: you said produced in Germany... They were all produced in the US factory if I remember well.
Chrislec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 02:06 AM   #9
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
How bizarre. It’s the first time I’ve seen someone importing a German car from Japan.

I remembered watching a documentary that all old z3s were built in the US.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 02:08 AM   #10
timedate
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex Essex View Post
Isn’t the z3 available to buy in Canada??

maybe like the uk, full of rot and wants a japanese rust free example.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 02:38 AM   #11
Tim010
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedate View Post
Fair play to you, its something i have wanted to do for a while, but i always find a reason not to. I am after a landcruiser amazon, the british stuff is a minefield with chassis rust issues, there are good ones, but they tend to be few and far between. I was considering buying from california and having to adapt to lhd, but japan obviously means i wouldnt have that difference.

What auction house did you use?

Good luck with this, i love the Z3, i reckon you will be happy with a good auction rating like that.
USS Tokyo was the auction house.
Old 24 February 2019, 02:39 AM   #12
Tim010
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislec View Post
Awesome car, awesome design. I own mine for 16 years. a beautiful limited edition in British racing green with M design. I drive it very rarely, it's like taking out the jewels (less than 20,000km at the counter, yes!) But what an amazing pleasure when coming back home and taking it out on sea shore roads on in the countryside hills...

You won't regret it. You'll have a lot of fun with it!

PS: you said produced in Germany... They were all produced in the US factory if I remember well.
Yeah I stand corrected, they were all built in the US. Some of them got a German VIN for some reason.

Tim