The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2019, 02:40 AM   #91
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
No
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 02:54 AM   #92
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

In the past, I mostly browsed at ADs because better deals could be made with trusted sellers. Other times, I have gone into an AD knowing in advance that they had the model I wanted and I purchased straight away. I've always been very up front with sales staff. I typically don't try anything on unless I am seriously considering buying.

Some staff just want to talk watches. These are typically the ADs I will re-visit and purchase from. Other ADs understand right away I am just browsing and leave me be. With the current Rolex market, most of the ADs I have been into have shared my frustration with the lack of available stainless steel models. This could be because they see me wearing my BLNR or LV which I got a few years back or perhaps it's because they can tell that I know what I am talking about when I go in. I have been treated indifferently, but never rudely.

Unfortunately MSRP is the best deal right now for a lot of customers for almost all stainless steel models. I have yet to be compelled to buy another Rolex, but I am certainly not interested in putting any money down to potentially get something years from now. Give me a realistic timeline or put me on a list and honestly call me when you get to me.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 03:19 AM   #93
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

No. The last time I was in Vegas I had the audacity to walk into several boutiques wearing an Orient Star Classic. Everybody was so nice to me, including the Rolex, Patek Phillipe, and A. Lange. The only snobby boutique I walked into was AP. And they didn't even acknowledge me past a casual glance. The vibe was eerily pretentious. They must have known I was poor
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 04:06 AM   #94
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
The only snobby boutique I walked into was AP. And they didn't even acknowledge me past a casual glance.:
I have tried stuff on there before. I dress like I live in poverty however when I went in there I was wearing my 718 GMT which might have helped a bit.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 04:12 AM   #95
smym18
"TRF" Member

There's only one AD relatively close to me, and since I'm in the jewelry business I don't go in there too often. The two times I have, they've been friendly, and I wasn't intimidated.

On the other hand, tattoo shops can be intimidating.
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 05:15 AM   #96
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I don’t even really go to the AD except when to pick up the watch. I text my guy at the AD. Gives me an estimated wait time and he calls me when it’s in. For example, if the hulk isn’t discontinued at Basel I asked for a Hulk around November. My guy said he’ll shoot for October. Simple. Just takes patience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:06 AM   #97
greywolf617
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post
Yo
His palms are sweaty, knees weak, deepsea on his arm is heavy
There's Diet Coke on his sweater already, mom's bugatti,
He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready
To drop some money, but he keeps on forgettin'
What references he wrote down, the whole AD goes so loud
He opens his mouth, but the word Daytona won't come out
He's chokin', how, everybody's jokin' now
The clocks run out, times up, over, blaow!
greywolf617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:24 AM   #98
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdizzle92 View Post
I pass by a few Rolex AD's on my way to work every day and always contemplate popping in to chat with someone to see if they have the 114060 in stock (i have been pining for one a while now). 90% of the time or so, I would say the AD's are completely empty and the sales staff are just bored on their phones or pretending to look busy on their laptops.. Is it just me or do you feel that they will not treat you with professionalism and courtesy if you go in inquiring about the above watch (or any in demand watch currently) because they get asked so many times about it and the answer is always the same?

I've had a few experiences where they say something absurd like "sure I can put you on the wait list but its going to be a 2 year wait" "we need a 50-100% deposit and we are not guaranteeing delivery of your watch by x time" I understand the current market environment but after a few experiences like this I rather not bother at all to be honest..
I personally enjoy going into AD's to talk watches, even while traveling outside my home turf while on business or vacation. I just went to an AD today, talked to a rep I had never met, and had a great discussion on the OP39mm. He had the watch I was looking to see in person in stock. I have never felt intimidated in NY, SF, LA, Chicago, Las Vegas or wherever I have been.

Sure, you can come across those that you don't want to do business with, but guess what--they are the ones that have watches (at least some) to view and try on. You never know when you are going to come across one with inventory you seek. There isn't much out there in general, but individual examples are in the case from time to time. I have learned a lot from AD's over my time on TRF.
Old 24 February 2019, 09:26 AM   #99
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

Actually it’s the other way around. I can tell they feel intimidated when they see me. Lol..
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:44 AM   #100
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
When I am shopping for watches or cars, I dress perhaps casually but relatively nice. If I am going to look at, say Porsches or Rolexes, I don't feel it's appropriate to go in there with a baseball cap on backwards, shorts halfway down my butt, or flip flops. I would feel the same if I were looking at Subarus or Seikos.

Would anyone feel funny if they went into a Patek AD and the salesman was in a bathing suit and a tank top?
Old 24 February 2019, 10:08 AM   #101
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I joke people... i usually just bring my wife lol
Did just this today. Went extremely well.

Talked about Lady Datejusts (to get the wife into watches), fine dining (our experience with Eleven Madison Park in NYC) and documentary films.

Couldn’t have been a more productive trip.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 12:58 PM   #102
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryantto View Post
No matter who is behind the counter, I always get a good reception when they ask me if I have any questions and my response is “I already know the answer to my question”. ( with a smile) and continue to look at the empty cases.

Almost without fail the sales rep warms up to me and is receptive. They are now curious about the “question”. This works several times in AD’s that I have no prior purchases. One AD sales rep brought out SubC date for me. Another AD offered a GMT II black dial. I got both my Hulk and SD43 this way from two different AD’s where I have no history of prior purchases.

The Hulk was very recent. I was with my wife and two children at an AD last Saturday (first time there) and I got to talk to a sales rep about the Hulk and that I want to buy it because I want to pass it down to my son when he graduates from college (he is 6 now) and the reason I picked the Hulk is because my son likes the color green. I complimented on his Batman and we talked more about watches. He took my business card which indicated my profession. I thanked him for his help . 6 days later ( yesterday) I got a call from him to come in to pick up the HULK. I have been waiting for this watch for one year and my local AD couldn’t get me one and here is an AD that I have never had contact prior to Saturday got me the watch within 6 days. Needless to say I was there in 30 minutes. The sales rep told me that his manager overheard the whole conversation on Saturday and he decided that I was the best candidate for their next incoming Hulk.

Everyone deserves respect regardless of their social economic/educational standing. I did not know how much of an impact I had on the sales staff at this AD for them skip their waitlist not to mentioned VIP client to sale me a watch that has a two year wait.

Sounds like you have it figured out if you were able to pull a Hulk
No need to feel intimidated.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:20 PM   #103
awol123
"TRF" Member

I once went to an Ad and asked to try on a watch. The ad immediately looked to the security guard with a second of eye contact and the guard moved towards the door. Somehow that made me imagine what it would be like running away . You can feel the eyes staring.
awol123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:28 PM   #104
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdizzle92 View Post
I pass by a few Rolex AD's on my way to work every day and always contemplate popping in to chat with someone to see if they have the 114060 in stock (i have been pining for one a while now). 90% of the time or so, I would say the AD's are completely empty and the sales staff are just bored on their phones or pretending to look busy on their laptops.. Is it just me or do you feel that they will not treat you with professionalism and courtesy if you go in inquiring about the above watch (or any in demand watch currently) because they get asked so many times about it and the answer is always the same?

I've had a few experiences where they say something absurd like "sure I can put you on the wait list but its going to be a 2 year wait" "we need a 50-100% deposit and we are not guaranteeing delivery of your watch by x time" I understand the current market environment but after a few experiences like this I rather not bother at all to be honest..
No;
Jojoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:41 PM   #105
Johndong888
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 372
Not so much intimidated by AD but definitely by the possibility of a lighter wallet afterwards lol

Johndong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:44 PM   #106
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

They are just people no reason to be intimidated

astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:55 PM   #107
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

114060 is 3 weeks wait top.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:58 PM   #108
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by awol123 View Post
I once went to an Ad and asked to try on a watch. The ad immediately looked to the security guard with a second of eye contact and the guard moved towards the door. Somehow that made me imagine what it would be like running away . You can feel the eyes staring.
Damn. Like that?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 02:02 PM   #109
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
When I am shopping for watches or cars, I dress perhaps casually but relatively nice. If I am going to look at, say Porsches or Rolexes, I don't feel it's appropriate to go in there with a baseball cap on backwards, shorts halfway down my butt, or flip flops. I would feel the same if I were looking at Subarus or Seikos.

Would anyone feel funny if they went into a Patek AD and the salesman was in a bathing suit and a tank top?
While I hear you, I get a smug satisfaction playing it the otherway. I went into a Patek concession a few months back in jeans and a hoodie. Got no eye contact, no real welcome. Rolled my sleeve up while browsing to show a 5396r (appreciate it isn't a mega expensive Patek but at least it was recognised...) and suddenly I was invited to sit down and try on a few pieces.

I know everyone does it but I hate people judging a book by its cover. Not accusing you of doing so obviously but your post made me recalI getting a photo from an uncle of him in a Mclaren showroom in cargo shorts and t-shirt. He bought a 650s after selling his GT3. :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 24 February 2019, 03:58 PM   #110
blue lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's just a watch.
Nope
blue lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 08:53 PM   #111
G M Francis
"TRF" Member

Absolutely not! My advice is to start off with a visit to to a PP boutique in a major city and you will never feel on edge anywhere! The entire staff seem to do a visual appraisal to see if you are a tyre kicker or someone whose life journey so far passes their internal test to see if you are worthy of wearing one of their watches. Now that I’ve bought Pateks over the years and they know me they are lovely people giving great (actually truly great) service. I was in recently with a problem of my own doing and they fixed it that day FOC with two cups of coffee thrown in and a good conversation about Football and watches.
So start off in PP boutique, throw yourself in the deep end!
G M Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:29 PM   #112
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessEight View Post
Did just this today. Went extremely well.

Talked about Lady Datejusts (to get the wife into watches), fine dining (our experience with Eleven Madison Park in NYC) and documentary films.

Couldn’t have been a more productive trip.
How was Eleven? They are opening in London this summer at Claridges Hotel and I can't wait to go.

It's actually in the 3 Michelin Star restaurants that I see the most nervous, intimidated people... but the truth is they are so well trained and so professional that you can actually behave however you want and they will still serve you exceptionally.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:57 PM   #113
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Absolutely not. I am intimidated by my wife though when I tell her I want to buy a new watch. LOL!

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:57 PM   #114
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELINOX View Post
Never, I always say something to the effect that " I have arrived... " Please "bow to my spending power" as I fix my Centurion clumsily paper clipped to my Peter Frampton T Shirt, as I sashe across your sweat stained flooring marred of skid marks and unsure foot prints by weary watch shoppers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 10:55 PM   #115
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I think disappointed is the word you're looking for, OP.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 11:24 PM   #116
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by awol123 View Post
which running shoes were you wearing?
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 01:43 AM   #117
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I don’t get intimidated but I get annoyed when a salesperson sees my 50 year old Sub and right away suggests a new model. This has happened twice, so now I wear it to ADs for fun. Shops, in my experience, are somewhat knowledgeable and treat customers fairly. I find the very wealthy areas for shopping to be the most negative for a pleasant experience.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 02:34 AM   #118
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
Does anyone else feel intimiated going to an AD?

Intimidated by AD? How else to buy a Rolex watch — over the I-net? Not.

AD’s are in business to make a living and selling Rolex watches helps them pay the insurance... Get to know an AD and you will be surprised at the service you will get when you buy a watch from them. And AD’s sell other watch brands too.

MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 02:55 AM   #119
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
I don't get intimidated but I do sometimes feel wary of wasting a salesperson's time when I know I'm not even close to buying a watch.

A few weeks ago, I was driving to NY and decided to take the day and hit every Rolex dealer in southern CT. I had a blast and for the most part, met salespeople that were nice. However, one place had such a great vibe and energy about it. I went to some other dealers after this place but actually went back there and bought a brand new Bluesy from them because they were just the nicest I met even though I saw it elsewhere. I absolutely will be back there.

In the immortal words of Frank Burns... "It's nice to be nice to the nice"!

I only will deal with people who I like. There are too many other options. Be nice and your day will be better!

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 03:09 AM   #120
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
Why would anyone purchase a watch from an AD?
SubMarine is offline   Reply With Quote