The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 September 2018, 02:57 PM   #31
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
OP...it’s a great all-rounder. I just picked one up from a local AD a few days ago after having an Exp II for over a year, and it’s easily a lot of bang per buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcentaur View Post
Apologies then, really. But “no name calling pls” would have been better than “find another place”. Not that I’m offended though - it’s your opinion. Isn’t it what this place is about?
I think his point was that you’ve been here long enough (based on your joining date) to know how we interact with each other in this community. Be cordial and positive, and enjoy your time here.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 03:03 PM   #32
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The classic GMT IIs are very popular - much more than the ceramic "block" models.
I'm always amazed at how some people who don't like the newer models ascribe their feelings to the greater population of Rolex buyers. The AD waitlists and gray-seller premiums on the BLNR and SS BLRO show the newer models are plenty popular. It's fine if you don't like them, but why is it so important to you to believe that everyone else agrees with you?
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 03:06 PM   #33
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
So differing opinions aren’t welcome here? What is this, Reddit? Shocker.
Are you so dense as to not realize that the criticism you're receiving here is not due to your opinion? Or are you deliberately obfuscating?
Old 24 September 2018, 03:31 PM   #34
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
look, a snowflake. feelings..SMH.
nice response

you said the GMT design was "tacky", just pointing out the sub as well as pretty much most of the professional line borrows heavily on that same design.

Sub date and a GMT ii LN in particular are nearly the same watch. That is a fact. Minus some details that are really not design centered as far as appearance, extra GMT hand, WR rating. They look remarkably similar.

A PCL oyster bracelet is really the only thing that at 5 feet away that would even distinguish it. Thats really just cosmetic and not design though, as otherwise its the same bracelet.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 05:46 PM   #35
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
GMT is my favourite complication on any watch. 6 digit if you want a newer more accurate watch (with a better clasp) or 5 if you don’t like the boxy lugs of the 6. I’d try both on and see which one is best for you.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 09:38 PM   #36
arcentaur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Are you so dense as to not realize that the criticism you're receiving here is not due to your opinion? Or are you deliberately obfuscating?

It emanated from an opinion, sir. And then it escalated a bit. Read again.

You really take things too seriously here, guys. Loosen up, c’mon! It was an opinion and I’m being called out just because it isn’t popular? And I already conceded the “name-calling” was against the rules Man, the thought police are really everywhere.

And you called me dense, so my feelings are hurt. I’ll sue you for harassment 35 years from now.

Relax. It’s just a watch. And this is the internet. There are no safe spaces here. Enjoy life.
arcentaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 10:01 PM   #37
arcentaur
"TRF" Member

Whats you're view on Rolex GMT-Master II

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
nice response

you said the GMT design was "tacky", just pointing out the sub as well as pretty much most of the professional line borrows heavily on that same design.

Sub date and a GMT ii LN in particular are nearly the same watch. That is a fact. Minus some details that are really not design centered as far as appearance, extra GMT hand, WR rating. They look remarkably similar.

A PCL oyster bracelet is really the only thing that at 5 feet away that would even distinguish it. Thats really just cosmetic and not design though, as otherwise its the same bracelet.

Fair enough. But I’m not here to defend the sub either. Mine was a response to an assumption that I was probably too juvenile and naive to think that the sub is the epitome of watch design. Well, maybe it is for many but that’s beside the point. In fact, my 4-month old sub is now a safe queen as I try to rekindle my liking to it. It’s likely leaving the herd as soon as I get the call for the daytona.

The GMT MII simply doesn’t excite me. It could be the colors, the bezel, tte PCL links maybe? I couldn’t put a finger on it. I tried it on a couple of weeks ago at an AD when I got the call. Didn’t sing to me at all and I figured it’d be better off with someone who had been waiting for it much longer than I had and hopefully wasn’t a flipper.

Pics or it didn’t happen:

They also had the LN:

I simply don’t care for the watch or any of its variations. I think there are better ones out there. But as I said prior to the mini-lynching, that’s just me.
Old 24 September 2018, 11:25 PM   #38
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:

I simply don’t care for the watch or any of its variations. I think there are better ones out there. But as I said prior to the mini-lynching, that’s just me.
Now you're getting somewhere...and thanks for the photos.

In the future, try using explanations such as this, as opposed to calling something "tacky" or calling another member a "snowflake." You would be surprised how far a little tact goes.
watchwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 11:33 PM   #39
arcentaur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Now you're getting somewhere...and thanks for the photos.

In the future, try using explanations such as this, as opposed to calling something "tacky" or calling another member a "snowflake." You would be surprised how far a little tact goes.

With all due respect, please see post #36, last paragraph.
Old 25 September 2018, 01:52 AM   #40
R!$
Banned

nice watch
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 02:22 AM   #41
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Can only speak for the five digit - superb watch! I expect the six digit is every bit as good though!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 02:24 AM   #42
Rolex.c6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 116600
Great model. Don’t hesitate, get one if you have the opportunity.
Rolex.c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 03:13 AM   #43
Clocks&Rocks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Thank you

still browsing on which one i should get

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Great watch...which one you looking at?
Clocks&Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 03:41 AM   #44
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Quote:
Fair enough. But I’m not here to defend the sub either. Mine was a response to an assumption that I was probably too juvenile and naive to think that the sub is the epitome of watch design. Well, maybe it is for many but that’s beside the point. In fact, my 4-month old sub is now a safe queen as I try to rekindle my liking to it. It’s likely leaving the herd as soon as I get the call for the daytona.

The GMT MII simply doesn’t excite me. It could be the colors, the bezel, tte PCL links maybe? I couldn’t put a finger on it. I tried it on a couple of weeks ago at an AD when I got the call. Didn’t sing to me at all and I figured it’d be better off with someone who had been waiting for it much longer than I had and hopefully wasn’t a flipper.

Pics or it didn’t happen:

They also had the LN:

You have the ideal wrist size for a 5-digit GMT Master II. The non-maxi case might be just the thing for you.
Old 25 September 2018, 04:05 AM   #45
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
With all due respect, you will get along here better without resorting to trite political buzzwords designed to enflame. You alienate everyone by calling a respected member a "snowflake," then in a pseudo-offering of an olive branch, you lecture us about safe spaces. Contrary to your assertion, this isn't Reddit, but for some reason you're posting like it is.
Old 25 September 2018, 04:35 AM   #46
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
I stand by my comment. With all due respect.
watchwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 04:36 AM   #47
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

Like it so much I bought it both in stainless steel and yellow gold :-)

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 06:11 AM   #48
arcentaur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
With all due respect, you will get along here better without resorting to trite political buzzwords designed to enflame. You alienate everyone by calling a respected member a "snowflake," then in a pseudo-offering of an olive branch, you lecture us about safe spaces. Contrary to your assertion, this isn't Reddit, but for some reason you're posting like it is.

Still grinding on that? 🤦*♂️
Old 25 September 2018, 06:56 AM   #49
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
GMT II is excellent in every way.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 07:09 AM   #50
ralfcom
"TRF" Member

Watch: enthusiast
Must have.
ralfcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 07:12 AM   #51
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

I love my GMT master II. But.... it couldn't be my only one as I am a diver. Great watch and actually prefer the LN - (fortunate for me)...
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 07:13 AM   #52
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

If I could only own one Rolex as my only watch, it would probably be a 116710LN. That doesn't mean it's my favorite reference, but it has greats looks and useful features for an "only one".
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 05:42 AM   #53
Manny9x
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C., GMT II BLN
Great watch. I have sub and I wished I had picked the GMT Master II instead. Regular stainless steel with a black ceramic dial.
Manny9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 05:45 AM   #54
Manny9x
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C., GMT II BLN
Both are good looking watches. But I'd take the Batman.
Manny9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 06:20 AM   #55
Halitosis
"TRF" Member

Watch: my angry dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
If I could only own one Rolex as my only watch, it would probably be a 116710LN. That doesn't mean it's my favorite reference, but it has greats looks and useful features for an "only one".
Halitosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 06:33 AM   #56
NorthCoaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 2 116710LN
I started off wanting the Sub so badly, but the more I looked at the GMT Master 2, the more I was drawn to it.

After a couple of years waiting I am now very glad that I did so when I got the call. It's classy with a suit and understated enough to not clash with shorts and t shirt.

I also saw amazing BLNRs but in the end the LN is my understated choice.
NorthCoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 06:34 AM   #57
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Worn a GMT every day of my life since the early 1970's.
Quite like 'em.

PS.
What IS a "Snowflake"?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 06:47 AM   #58
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

I love the 16710. Definitely my favorite watch in my collection. Cheers!
IMG_0061.jpg
Old 26 October 2018, 07:02 AM   #59
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The classic GMT IIs are very popular - much more than the ceramic "block" models.

As with everything, it is personal taste that drives buyers to select which model they prefer. For me, I'll take the classic GMT II 16710s every time.
Totally!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 07:46 AM   #60
Major69
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
I recently got my GMT Mii LN. I was originally looking at the DJ41 SS with Blue Dial. The AD had one, but I wanted to sleep on it. I wasn’t looking at any of the Professional Sport models at all. My wife was flipping through the Rolex book and she liked the “Pepsi”.

Called the AD I had visited and they said no Sport models available. I put my search on hold for a while.

When visiting another AD and they had a SS Sub-D LN, but it didn’t do anything for me and I passed on it. There was a guy right behind me who almost pushed me out of the way to jump on it.

I called around to a few other AD’s and most laughed at my request for a Pepsi. However one said they had the GMT M2 LN. I went over and saw it. I hummed and hawed. Again it didn’t appeal to me, but I bought it anyway (either my brother would take it or I would sell it and go back to the DJ41). My brother passed on it.

I was going to sell it, but I put it on and decided to wear it for 5 days. I wanted to love it.

It’s taken a while and I started to like it more and more each day. And now, I have fallen in love with it. It’s my daily wear and I only take it off for sleeping, showering and at the gym (casual jeans and T or dressy in a suit and tie).

I love the GMT function with the green hand. The ceramic bezel just pops and is beautiful. The shine of the sapphire crystal is flawless. Love the magnified date. The clasp with the 5mm extension is perfect.

Good luck and if you get the GMT, I’m sure you’ll be happy. Enjoy!
Major69 is offline   Reply With Quote