The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 January 2019, 04:37 AM   #61
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
I really do not get it either. I get the weight and the "warmth" and the fact some dial configurations only come in WG. A couple I have been interested in over the years, but at the end of the day I guess I just think gold should be GOLD...as in YG. Now if I loved a model/dial config and the only way to get it was to get it in WG I would do it. So at the end of the day the metal itself is not that big a deal to me, more so the model and dial and how much I like the watch.
I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on the WD BLRO when they first came out, but the bezel colors just did not quite do it for me. Long time lover of the GMT Pepsi so a modern model was a cool idea.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 04:37 AM   #62
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Anyone who doesn't "get" white gold, shouldn't buy white gold. That was easy.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 04:40 AM   #63
mangoseed
Banned

I don't get ceramic cases.
mangoseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 04:47 AM   #64
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
Matter of fact, and again I'll expect push back on here, I bet if there were two identical models in stainless and white gold, 90% of people on here couldn't tell the difference visually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
I think that’s the point.

Either you are incorrect in your statistical analysis or 90% of our members need their eyes examined.

There is day and night difference between the two side by side.
I have held both BLRO while trying to decide and the lustre and the shade of color are totally different.
Old 24 January 2019, 05:12 AM   #65
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-London View Post
White gold is nice and subtle. Its also under the radar and not as loud as yellow or rose gold.

I wear it for myself, no problem for me if 99% of casual observers think its SS.

Nice photos. I have the 126715 but have never seen the wg blue dial in person yet. How's the blue? Do you feel the watch is "too" blue as someone else wrote or not really?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 05:18 AM   #66
1665fan
"TRF" Member

I don’t get fat women but some people love them....who cares
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 05:21 AM   #67
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
I don’t get fat women but some people love them....who cares
I was going to say some people like okra........but you took it all the way there.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 05:31 AM   #68
ReMember
"TRF" Member

I guess some folks like everyone to know that they are wearing a (yellow) gold Rolex, probably the same folks who would wear a Rolex ballcap and t-shirt. Me personally, I'd rather go under the radar. Wearing a white gold Rolex like is wetting yourself while wearing a dark-colored pants. It gives you a warm feeling and no one will probably notice. YMMV
ReMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 05:32 AM   #69
DocHolliday
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Either you are incorrect in your statistical analysis or 90% of our members need their eyes examined.

I have held both BLRO while trying to decide and the lustre and the shade of color are totally different.

Key word you said here is side by side. I think most will agree that side by side a difference can be seen, but that’s not really relevant unless you plan to wear a SS and a WG on the same wrist.

The overall appearance of a white metal watch vs a yellow or rose gold is what most people are referring to when they say they can’t tell the difference between WG and SS. From across the room they are visually the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DocHolliday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 05:38 AM   #70
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
I think white Gold is the Schiz-Nizzle.

Hope that helps you on your future purchases

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 05:47 AM   #71
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoseed View Post
What do you think about platinum?
I agree Pt is a total waste....

Quote:

A coworker glanced at my Daytona and thought it was nice; when he had it in his hand he suddenly got it. His comment was that if he'd been paying closer attention he'd have know it was Pt but wasn't looking for it. Most just give watches a passing glance.

The great thing about white gold and Pt is that it can be worn and appreciated without placing one in the spot light. I love them both!!!! Now if you want your watch to make you a spectacle then definitely go for the readily noticeable yellow gold and enjoy the attention. The other thing that's great about the stealth PMs is that they open up the availability of models and looks.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 05:50 AM   #72
T3F
"TRF" Member

I'm not going to knock those who like WG -- it does have a noticeably (debatable whether or not it's noticeable when not directly next to SS) warmer hue and it's obviously much heavier than SS. These are perfectly valid reasons to like it, and again, I'm certainly not telling anyone it's not worth it.

Personally, though, after owning a RG GMT, I've actually decided that I don't like the weight of a gold watch with a gold bracelet -- for like the first hour I'm wearing it, the weight is kind of nice, but after that, it becomes uncomfortable, especially when the watch is sliding around a little bit. Resale aside, if I were offered the same watch either in WG or SS for the same price and it had a bracelet, I'd take the SS one.
Old 24 January 2019, 05:58 AM   #73
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Guess you don’t get it, that’s fine.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 06:00 AM   #74
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
Key word you said here is side by side. I think most will agree that side by side a difference can be seen, but that’s not really relevant unless you plan to wear a SS and a WG on the same wrist.

The overall appearance of a white metal watch vs a yellow or rose gold is what most people are referring to when they say they can’t tell the difference between WG and SS. From across the room they are visually the same

OP was clear in his side by side comment and that is what I was responding to.
He said side by side, 90% of us can’t tell.
And I disagree to being visually the same from across the room.
Old 24 January 2019, 07:34 AM   #75
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I think there is a way the OP can make this into a question:

Why would someone pay the PM premium for something that looks so much like SS?

If a person wants gold, why wouldn't they get color?

Are people buying WG strictly for the dial color?
Old 24 January 2019, 07:50 AM   #76
Toony
"TRF" Member

I have white gold and stainless steel watches. The one thing with Rolex WG (which I believe is sometimes called gray gold) is that it is the same color all the way through. No bleeding of yellow underneath. Why white gold you ask. Because I know it’s gold and that’s all that really matters. Yellow and Rose gold are great as well.
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 07:53 AM   #77
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
I know I'm in the VAST minority here in that I don't care for white gold at all. I know there's a subtle difference in hue and know that it weighs more but I'll address the elephant in the room and say that it looks like stainless. Shocking, I know. Matter of fact, and again I'll expect push back on here, I bet if there were two identical models in stainless and white gold, 90% of people on here couldn't tell the difference visually. I think that gold should well....look kind of like gold. And again, just my opinion the same goes with platinum. I understand that Rolex offers different dial/bezel combinations for them but IMO still look a hell of a lot like stainless to me.
I agree appearance wise, but man the Daytona’s dial options really open up with the pm options.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 07:56 AM   #78
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Well, it doesn't get you either, man.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 08:02 AM   #79
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMember View Post
I guess some folks like everyone to know that they are wearing a (yellow) gold Rolex, probably the same folks who would wear a Rolex ballcap and t-shirt. Me personally, I'd rather go under the radar. Wearing a white gold Rolex like is wetting yourself while wearing a dark-colored pants. It gives you a warm feeling and no one will probably notice. YMMV
why can't yellow gold rolex wearers wear it because they like how yg looks? at the end of the day it's jewelry or an accessory

i never understood how when people wear wg it's because they like how wg looks but when people wear yg it's because they want everyone to know it. that may be true also but it's a weird double standard
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 08:04 AM   #80
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Never really got the white gold attraction......which was probably no bad thing. That said however, that blue dial GMT does look pretty good!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 09:04 AM   #81
Kostas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
I like both but chose

Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 09:39 AM   #82
DocHolliday
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OP was clear in his side by side comment and that is what I was responding to.
He said side by side, 90% of us can’t tell.
And I disagree to being visually the same from across the room.

Actually he never said “side by side” but let’s not parse words here. I hope you are not an attorney

DocHolliday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 09:46 AM   #83
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Quote:

Yup.

I've had yellow gold and prefer white gold because the yellow was too much for me in retrospect--maybe I'll give it a try down the road. However, I'm going to probably give rose gold a try next time. YG wasn't for me but it's a beautiful metal. Love WG--after wearing my 116619 daily, stainless feels like a toy.

Wearing white gold is like debadging your 911 Turbo or your M3--some people would never consider doing so, but some people live by it.
Hodog16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 09:49 AM   #84
peterpl
Banned

To me YG is king. That is the only gold color that will be around for centuries to come and the true color of gold.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 09:54 AM   #85
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I have two wg Rolex. I bought them precisely because I DO NOT want to appear ostentatious. I know what they are and, thats all that matters to me. Secondly, take a look at ss prices. In many cases one can purchase a wg variant of the same model, yet with exclusive dial config, for almost the price of the same ss pieces at a grey. What's wrong with this picture? Well, if or when a massive ss correction occurs, we will know why a wg unique dial piece, bought used but, mint, for the same as a ss grey, was a good deal, or not?
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 10:01 AM   #86
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
I have two wg Rolex. I bought them precisely because I DO NOT want to appear ostentatious. I know what they are and, thats all that matters to me. Secondly, take a look at ss prices. In many cases one can purchase a wg variant of the same model, yet with exclusive dial config, for almost the price of the same ss pieces at a grey. What's wrong with this picture? Well, if or when a massive ss correction occurs, we will know why a wg unique dial piece, bought used but, mint, for the same as a ss grey, was a good deal, or not?
Yep - in Todays SS stupidity one really needs to look at WG.

I would never pay $22k for a SS Daytona. WG would be the only option for me at this price bracket.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 10:06 AM   #87
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Yep - in Todays SS stupidity one really needs to look at WG.

I would never pay $22k for a SS Daytona. WG would be the only option for me at this price bracket.
Exactly right. I almost pulled the trigger on a wg blue dial daytona, 28k. As you say the ss variant was 22k. Are you kidding me? For 6k more I could have gotten an exclusive blue dial pm piece? I just don’t get this current market, the bottom has to fall out at some point, it’s unsustainable
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 10:40 AM   #88
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:

I’m sure that members in here can spot the difference, because they are into watches

The OP is saying that white gold and stainless look similarly, so he doesn’t get what the fuzz is about

What I meant to communicate is that the fact that white gold and stainless look alike (to some people, not everybody, and certainly not to watch aficionados probably) is what draws some people to white gold

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 10:40 AM   #89
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
If money wasn't an issue, I'd buy a platinum watch. I prefer the whiter platinum or even stainless steel to the yellowish Rolex white gold. I make do with my steel Yacht-Master with platinum dial / bezel.

I'm not into yellow and rose gold sports watches. Dress pieces on the other hand are a different story.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 10:45 AM   #90
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveclock View Post
I think there are a lot of members (perhaps older?) who seem to have a thing for Gold and PM on here.
I can’t see why the small precious metal amount adds so much to msrp.
But then I am not into bling

Why don’t you shut up. I’d write more but it’s almost 4 and I need to have dinner.

jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote