The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 January 2019, 02:06 PM   #181
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Very well said. (You're preaching to the converted here.)

At first I thought that I had to go coloured gold for my first gold piece. And sure enough I did. Loved the 116655, but discovered coloured gold is just not my personal style. And now I'm much happier with the subtle and stealthy 116519LN.
Agreed. Both are great watches IMO, but I’ll always prefer the 116519. I’m not knocking YG or RG at all. I’d love each in my collection. They’re just not everyday pieces like a WG watch can be.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 02:13 PM   #182
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
i agree that saving to add would be better. YG skydwellers are heavy hitters and not worth letting go

That’s probably what I’ll do. My wife is dead set against me trading or selling any of my time pieces. She would rather me add than trade. Thank you for your insight. You’re right. It would be a shame to lose a model that has already been discontinued.

@jps3b
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 02:16 PM   #183
DrThom
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-London View Post
White gold is nice and subtle. Its also under the radar and not as loud as yellow or rose gold.

I wear it for myself, no problem for me if 99% of casual observers think its SS.

Not going to lie, those are two sweet watches.
DrThom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 02:37 PM   #184
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
It is really difficult to tell, especially with the metal that Rolex uses, or rather makes for themselves. However, I finally did get a white gold watch. And although I don't wear it a lot, when I do, I can tell there is a difference. Just somehow has a different glow, although very subtle.

The first time I saw the white gold GMT at an AD, I knew there is a difference. It was the previous Pepsi model, and I couldn't take my eyes of it. Even though it still had all the plastic stickers on it.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 25 January 2019, 02:46 PM   #185
rumjungl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex4711 View Post
I love the vintage WG Daydate

+1 That is pure class!
rumjungl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 02:55 PM   #186
Torque Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
I know I'm in the VAST minority here in that I don't care for white gold at all. I know there's a subtle difference in hue and know that it weighs more but I'll address the elephant in the room and say that it looks like stainless. Shocking, I know. Matter of fact, and again I'll expect push back on here, I bet if there were two identical models in stainless and white gold, 90% of people on here couldn't tell the difference visually. I think that gold should well....look kind of like gold. And again, just my opinion the same goes with platinum. I understand that Rolex offers different dial/bezel combinations for them but IMO still look a hell of a lot like stainless to me.
Agree 100%!!!
Torque Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 03:12 PM   #187
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
I know I'm in the VAST minority here in that I don't care for white gold at all. I know there's a subtle difference in hue and know that it weighs more but I'll address the elephant in the room and say that it looks like stainless. Shocking, I know. Matter of fact, and again I'll expect push back on here, I bet if there were two identical models in stainless and white gold, 90% of people on here couldn't tell the difference visually. I think that gold should well....look kind of like gold. And again, just my opinion the same goes with platinum. I understand that Rolex offers different dial/bezel combinations for them but IMO still look a hell of a lot like stainless to me.
So, really you do get it. WG is for the owner, YG & RG are for so you know the owner is wearing gold - well, in some cases anyway.

Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 10:40 PM   #188
Amex4711
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumjungl View Post
+1 That is pure class!

Thanks
Old 23 February 2019, 11:30 PM   #189
SobrinhodoPadrinho
"TRF" Member

Watch: Camel Trophy
Explaining the beauty of wearing a solid Platinum watch to someone who dont own one or never have worn one its like trying to explain a Colour, to someone that have never seen any colours before.

best regards...
SobrinhodoPadrinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:45 PM   #190
johnny.tran1
2024 Pledge Member

I wasn't a fan of WG either until I tried on the ref 116519LN Steel and Black Oysterflex. Looks amazing in person and feels great on the wrist.
johnny.tran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 12:04 AM   #191
MR. STEEL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
White gold Day Date 40 with dark rhodium dial speaks to me more than any of the yellow or rose gold ones. That being said to each his own.
MR. STEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 02:45 AM   #192
Headhunter007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116619
White gold is for those that covet understated sophistication. I have a 116619 and a BLNR, I love them both but the wg smurf is just special.
Headhunter007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 02:47 AM   #193
Headhunter007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrThom View Post
Not going to lie, those are two sweet watches.

That blue dial 116719 is drop dead gorgeous! Been hunting for that piece for a few months...no luck. Congrats on owning it.
Old 24 February 2019, 03:41 AM   #194
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
Natural gold is YG, not WG.
I'll try to correct this whenever these threads appear.

Natural gold is white gold. White gold alloys exist in nature and were known classically to the ancient greeks as electrum, which is gold and silver occurring naturally together.

Natural gold is red gold. Again, red gold alloys exist in nature. Homer described gold as reddish. I've heard there are ancient Chinese descriptions of gold being red as well.

Natural gold is only sometimes yellow.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 04:15 AM   #195
Swashplate
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

One word, luster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 05:00 AM   #196
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
I think white Gold is great for someone that wants PM but doesn't have the skin tone to pull it off or prefers do be more discreet. I always prefer SS but I get the allure to WG and Platinum. YG sure is pretty but looks really bad and tacky on me.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 06:08 AM   #197
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
It's simply stealth wealth. Yellow gold isn't in fashion, well it's coming back but still nothing like it was back in the day.

I'll take a SS option because it is lighter and more durable. White gold is cool for a dress piece. People are just going to think it is SS, unless you tell them or they hold it and are shocked by the weight.

You wear yellow gold, you are asking people to look at your wrist even if that isn't your intention. A yellow gold Rolex is a statement piece. Not only would you be wearing the most recognizable luxury watch brand in the world, you are also wearing the most recognizable precious metal. White gold tones things down.
007_Omega is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 06:12 AM   #198
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Nothing beats white gold.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 10:34 AM   #199
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
I'll try to correct this whenever these threads appear.

Natural gold is white gold. White gold alloys exist in nature and were known classically to the ancient greeks as electrum, which is gold and silver occurring naturally together.

Natural gold is red gold. Again, red gold alloys exist in nature. Homer described gold as reddish. I've heard there are ancient Chinese descriptions of gold being red as well.

Natural gold is only sometimes yellow.

Hmmmm!

Pure gold is slightly reddish yellow in color,[1] but colored gold in various other colors can be produced.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nglish.svg.png
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 11:21 AM   #200
SobrinhodoPadrinho
"TRF" Member

Watch: Camel Trophy
I dont believe there is a type, for white, yellow or rose, if theres a rule? Then make it the wedding ring rule, what colour is your wedding ring? Look at it. There is the

colour of the gold for you. If you want to go with a type or a rule. if you dont care, wear the watch you like more, in the colour you like more and the material you like

that model, more. In my opinion a classic watch looks good on anything, yellow, rose, white or platinum, still prefer white gold or platinum on classic but dont mind the

others. For a sports model, i dont like them in rose or yellow. I prefer the steel and if i want something a bit more special within the sports i like white gold or platinum.

I include here in the sports (a day date) although its not a sports watch i consider it a perfect hybrid between a classical and sports, so lets say semi-classic/semi-sports.

For me daydate? Platinum! Anytime. Sky blue dial, flat bezel, something about that watch that you only know when you hold and wear one, its like holding a

mineral in its pure form, the ritual of putting it on feels like you shapping it yourself freshly, when you finally have it on either with a suit or a polo it feels custom made

only for you, its weird, it feels diferent, its overpowering, it feels yours! only yours...it does get a bit personal that particular one with me. It is not an easy thing to

explain is something you only feel and live. And to live up to this, there is no type of guy or type of person, neitherless to say, whatever anyone else thinks about it or

even about you!

One i would like to have it is def. the Platinum Daytona, maybe one day, that is a beautifull watch.

But then comes another guy and easily say you know what? Naaaaa, that looks good on my wifes wrist i prefer the "cargo" ones, bring me a Rose Gold Skydweller

please, and you know what? I get it, i accept it guys and we probably have alot in common he might be more similar to me when it comes to show off, not show off,

over radar, under the radar more than another guy who prefers the Daydate platinum over the skydweller, like me. Because in my opinion its not about

the piece or the type of metal its how you behave with that piece.

Now, skin colour? Yeah it depends, again depends how you carry yourself and of course how you combine it with your clothes, the clothes would make alot of difference

when it comes to pull it around.

All this for what? To say only that i dont think its a question of a type or even educational. The main question and primary one that everyone seems to be avoiding

is actually wallet!! Now wallet i agree, but that is not education or behaviour.

best regards...
SobrinhodoPadrinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 12:38 PM   #201
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
day to day i find the wg colour to be very different to stainless steel. it does vary a bit being sometimes more whiteish then other times more yellow. i dislike the yellow end of the spectrum.

i put my hulk on today and was stunned at the lustre rolex have pulled out of the steel. it is magnificent. the dial and its variations combine with the steel and wow. it works.

the smurf similarly can have moments where the bezel/dial colour and metal combine to be their best joint effort. for mine it is when the metal is more white than yellow. i presume Rolex put alot of effort into achieving such outcomes.

so i think in this case (SMURF) i would not say it is just about stealth but also because the wg material is quite different to steel and matches this dial in a specific and intended way. and i presume since this is opinion based the same could be said of all the wg models.

i love pretty much all pm rolex and will hopefully find a home for yg rolex very soon. because it is so bold and bright and absolutely the soul of "special" for me. i'm thinking dd fluted bezel with champagne dial and romans. or 116618LB (either one, both incredible IMHO).
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:05 PM   #202
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I actually don’t understand the argument. Some cares about what other people think while other don’t. I would never buy a YG, just not me. I love WG for all the obvious reasons mentioned above.
This might be a stretch, but a person who is wearing a good fake could make same argument about you wearing $10k watch that looks the same as his $300 piece
Jojoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:08 PM   #203
challer
"TRF" Member

I believe most here can distinguish SS, WG, and Pt just from photos. If you were going to buy a bracelet without the watch, would you buy SS? Pay $5K for it? I but apt for me. I like the heft, the color, the brilliance. Dive watches, chronos, yacht timers are all electronic these days and for good reason. A mechanical watch is jewelery primarily; I don’t know why anyone buys stainless.
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:43 PM   #204
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
interesting perspective when you come at it as a bracelet (sans watch) i reckon.
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 02:07 PM   #205
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Love the additional heft and the subtle colour difference. Only myself and other watch geeks will ever notice and I'm fine with that. To everyone else it is "a Rolex" and they have no idea of the difference to a SS piece.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 24 February 2019, 11:53 PM   #206
Headhunter007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojoshop View Post
I actually don’t understand the argument. Some cares about what other people think while other don’t. I would never buy a YG, just not me. I love WG for all the obvious reasons mentioned above.
This might be a stretch, but a person who is wearing a good fake could make same argument about you wearing $10k watch that looks the same as his $300 piece
I get it...but it is a stretch. It’s more about you appreciate owning quality/craftsmanship and not giving a hoot about what others think.
Old 25 February 2019, 01:20 AM   #207
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
When Rolex starts putting these out in steel, I'll concede there's probably not much sense in paying for precious metal. But...I'll just hang on to these two for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0132.jpg (141.3 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg Monday.jpg (154.4 KB, 268 views)
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 01:30 AM   #208
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
I agree and don’t get it either not a fan of WG. YG or Rose Gold for me...
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 02:38 AM   #209
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
Quote:

Agree with your opinion. Gold should be gold.

MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 03:03 AM   #210
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter007 View Post
I get it...but it is a stretch. It’s more about you appreciate owning quality/craftsmanship and not giving a hoot about what others think.

100% agree,

Jojoshop is offline   Reply With Quote