The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 February 2019, 12:57 PM   #1
South of Heaven
"TRF" Member

Newbie here (full resto on a 6105)

Hi guys, newbie here from Boston. I'm in the process of doing a full restoration on a vintage Rolex, 6105 bubble back that I've inherited.

It was purchased new in Belgium in approximately 1950. It was then used as a daily watch until 1985 or so. Since about 1988 it has not worked and the bracelet is gone. Don't ask! I don't know.

So....Fast forward to last month. I brought it to Longs jewelry (Rolex dealer) in Braintree Ma in the hopes of getting it fixed. They were very polite but vague in their refusal to work on it. They then agreed to ship it to Rolex in NYC. Rolex NYC would not touch it either! They were even more vague in their reasoning and rationale....

Fast forward some more to this month.....Undeterred and always liking a challenge I looked up the American Watch and Clock institute and found some watchmakers in the Boston area.

Now the exciting part. I called Village Watch in Brookline Ma and was greeted by Avi Rubinov the owner. They do Rolex work and have an employee with the CWM21 certification. Avi's dad is a watchmaker too.

So they have the watch and I've agreed to let them do the work on the watch. It's a big job. Here is the abbreviated version of what is gonna be done.

-Complete overhaul
-Main spring
-New plastic crystal
-Hair spring repair
-Full polish
-Complete scratch repair

$1800

I've also got 2 prices for the bracelets. I can either get a used SS Rolex bracelet for $1200 or a used Rolex 2 tone 14k one for $2800.

The gold one looks amazing. Any thoughts on what to get for the bracelet? Will I be happy with the SS one or should I just spend the money on the gold one? I'm leaning towards the gold.....I'm already deep into this full resto so why not go all out. Lol

I'm so excited! I may have the watch by this Saturday. Such a classic looking timepiece.
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 03:08 PM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome to the forum.

Except for the hairspring, the list reads pretty much like standard maintenance, not an especially big job. Unfortunate about the hairspring, but that's something a skilled watchmaker can address. Congrats on getting your heirloom restored, and don't forget to post photos when you get it on your wrist.

If the watch is two-tone, I would go with a two-tone bracelet. Photos would help.
Old 12 February 2019, 09:20 PM   #3
South of Heaven
"TRF" Member

Thanks Dan. My pics couldn't upload because they said I need to resize them. The watch is 2 tone but not gold. Would it be weird to put on a 2 tone gold bracelet on a non gold watch?

I really love the gold bracelet. Lol
Old 13 February 2019, 12:22 AM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
Thanks Dan. My pics couldn't upload because they said I need to resize them. The watch is 2 tone but not gold. Would it be weird to put on a 2 tone gold bracelet on a non gold watch?

I really love the gold bracelet. Lol
I guess I don't understand what you mean by "2 tone but not gold". I think it would be best to post photos.
Old 13 February 2019, 09:26 AM   #5
South of Heaven
"TRF" Member

Here is my watch (prior to the overhaul/restoration). It has 2 tones of color (silver and gold but I don't think its actual silver/gold) so I call it a "2 tone". What is the correct nomenclature?

Here is the 2 tone, used, 14k bracelet that I wanna buy.

rolex1.jpg

rolex bracelet.jpg
Old 13 February 2019, 10:46 AM   #6
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

6105 is a great watch, I love the look. The bracelet you are considering is much later than the watch. It will look OK, but a period-correct bracelet will look even better. If your budget is nearly $3K for a bracelet, I suggest you keep looking, you might find something you like even better that is closer to the right era.
Old 13 February 2019, 11:05 AM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

It's hard to see the colors in the photo of the watch. I believe that the mid-case is stainless. Is the bezel gold? And the crown? If so, a two-tone bracelet would be a good match. If the only gold is on the dial, then I would go with a stainless bracelet.
Old 13 February 2019, 12:10 PM   #8
South of Heaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
It's hard to see the colors in the photo of the watch. I believe that the mid-case is stainless. Is the bezel gold? And the crown? If so, a two-tone bracelet would be a good match. If the only gold is on the dial, then I would go with a stainless bracelet.
The bezel is "gold". The case is SS. The crown is "gold"
Old 13 February 2019, 12:15 PM   #9
South of Heaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoikkyu View Post
6105 is a great watch, I love the look. The bracelet you are considering is much later than the watch. It will look OK, but a period-correct bracelet will look even better. If your budget is nearly $3K for a bracelet, I suggest you keep looking, you might find something you like even better that is closer to the right era.
THIS IS MY EXACT CONCERN! The 2 tone bracelet looks modern (and beautiful of course. Lol) but may not truly mesh with my old watch.

Can you give me some ideas/links to a more period specific bracelet but still with real gold?
Old 13 February 2019, 12:33 PM   #10
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The bezel is "gold". The case is SS. The crown is "gold"
I believe that the bezel is actually gold. The crown is probably plated. A folded link jubilee bracelet would be more period correct, but most of them will be badly stretched out and needing restoration.
Old 13 February 2019, 01:42 PM   #11
South of Heaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I believe that the bezel is actually gold. The crown is probably plated. A folded link jubilee bracelet would be more period correct, but most of them will be badly stretched out and needing restoration.
Thanks Dan. Any pics of such jubilee bracelet?
Old 13 February 2019, 02:29 PM   #12
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks Dan. Any pics of such jubilee bracelet?
Yes, all over the internet. ;-)

Google Rolex folded link jubilee bracelet.
Old 16 February 2019, 01:47 PM   #13
South of Heaven
"TRF" Member

Update: All the internal work (and exterior) has been done! I'm going tmmrow to choose my bracelet, learn about the watch and do the fitting. So excited.....Oh man!

Here is a pic that the watchmaker sent me a few days ago. Can anyone tell me how to decipher this?

Also, he told me my watch isn't waterproof as per the vintage. He said it's fine to wear in the rain and to wash it but I can't swim with it. Lol. Makes sense to me. It's a 70yo watch.

Anyway, my question is he told me he could change the crystal to a sapphire for an additional $400. I told him I'd think about it and we'd talk tmmrow when I meet him. My gut feeling is to keep it as original as possible. Any thoughts?

clocky.jpg
Old 17 February 2019, 07:29 AM   #14
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
Leave the acrylic crystal if it’s in good shape or change it out to a new acrylic if it needs replacement.

Don’t go to sapphire.
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 09:14 AM   #15
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Here is a pic that the watchmaker sent me a few days ago. Can anyone tell me how to decipher this?
Decipher what?

Quote:
Anyway, my question is he told me he could change the crystal to a sapphire for an additional $400. I told him I'd think about it and we'd talk tmmrow when I meet him. My gut feeling is to keep it as original as possible. Any thoughts?
Do not install sapphire.
Old 17 February 2019, 03:23 PM   #16
South of Heaven
"TRF" Member

I picked up my fully functional, gleaming, restored watch and new(to me) 2 tone 18k bracelet this afternoon! SO HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS!

There were a couple things that I changed that were not part of the initial job.

1. I went with a 2 tone 18k versus a 14k one. The 18k wasn't that much more in cost so I figured why not? :)

2. He replaced the plastic crystal with a new one to spec. After reading this thread I'm glad I didn't buy the sapphire? But why? Why the negative comments about the sapphire crystal?

I also did confirm today that my original bezel is in fact real gold. That was good to know. Dan was right.

I checked my bracelet band and it says the following (from top to bottom)

Steelinox

62523 H 18

What does all that mean?

After wearing the watch today, one thing I noticed is that my rectangular date box doesn't have a magnifier or cyclops. Or if there IS a magnifier it is small. Would you guys consider adding a cyclops? Or would it modify my vintage theme too much?

The second hand is sweeping nicely. There is a very slight hesitation but I was told that is normal. The watchmaker also told me that I will hear a very ticking when I put the watch to my ear and that is also normal.

Lots to learn guys! Fun stuff. Thanks for your help so far.

lexusrolex.jpg

rolex!.jpg
Old 18 February 2019, 12:56 AM   #17
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I believe that I more commonly see bubblebacks with a non-magnifier crystal, but I don't know what is correct. According to this article, the cyclops was introduced in 1948, but I'm not sure it would have been universally installed on every watch. I recommended against installing sapphire because you have a nice vintage watch, and it deserved to be restored to its proper look with a curved acrylic crystal. An retrofitted sapphire crystal would be period-incorrect, and would look totally wrong IMO.

http://www.rolexmagazine.com/2017/12...x-cyclops.html
Old 18 February 2019, 08:45 AM   #18
South of Heaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I believe that I more commonly see bubblebacks with a non-magnifier crystal, but I don't know what is correct. According to this article, the cyclops was introduced in 1948, but I'm not sure it would have been universally installed on every watch. I recommended against installing sapphire because you have a nice vintage watch, and it deserved to be restored to its proper look with a curved acrylic crystal. An retrofitted sapphire crystal would be period-incorrect, and would look totally wrong IMO.

http://www.rolexmagazine.com/2017/12...x-cyclops.html

Interesting article, fun read. Thanks Dan. Funny to see "Ike" with a Rolex! Very cool.

Another thing I noticed today about my date reader. It's actually in red. Lol. I didn't even notice that before.
Old 18 February 2019, 10:22 AM   #19
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Interesting article, fun read. Thanks Dan. Funny to see "Ike" with a Rolex! Very cool.

Another thing I noticed today about my date reader. It's actually in red. Lol. I didn't even notice that before.
Everyday in red? Or alternating red and black (aka "roulette")?
Old 18 February 2019, 01:24 PM   #20
South of Heaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Everyday in red? Or alternating red and black (aka "roulette")?
I'll check tmmrow. Thanks.

Another glaring difference between my Rolex and most other googled ones is that my "OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED CHRONOMETRE" is spelled as such.....English spelling for "metre". The watch was purchased in Belgium if that helps at all.

Any insight into this? I haven't found any instances with my "chronometre" spelling yet.
Old 18 February 2019, 01:32 PM   #21
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

You will have to post high resolution clear photos of the dial if you want people to be able to comment on it with any reasonable level of knowledge. So far, we haven't seen a single decent photo of the watch, so we are taking your information at face value.

However, maybe you would be happier not knowing if there are any issues. So think hard before posting good photos.
Old 18 February 2019, 01:38 PM   #22
South of Heaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You will have to post high resolution clear photos of the dial if you want people to be able to comment on it with any reasonable level of knowledge. So far, we haven't seen a single decent photo of the watch, so we are taking your information at face value.

However, maybe you would be happier not knowing if there are any issues. So think hard before posting good photos.

I've been trying to post high res pics since the day I joined this site and it has told me EVERY TIME that the pics need to be resized. Lol

No need to think hard about this. I am a honest and truthful person. If the truth hurts, so be it. This is all a fun game to me! Just a watch and a few green pieces of paper.
Old 18 February 2019, 08:01 PM   #23
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Congrats on the watch. It’s nice to restore an old watch.

Good thing you went with plexiglass. That is right for the watch and, also...400usd for a sapphire glass is expensive. They were a bit....hard on your pocket, considering that they charged you 1800usd for the service. I know that you had trouble finding a watchmaker but the regular service for a Datejust costs 700-800usd.

As for the bracelet, try a few nice leather straps, too. That watch looks very good on leather.
Congrats again and enjoy your watch!
Old 18 February 2019, 08:14 PM   #24
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
That resto looks good and always great to get an old watch back "alive and ticking" and on your wrist.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 12:57 AM   #25
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I've been trying to post high res pics since the day I joined this site and it has told me EVERY TIME that the pics need to be resized. Lol
Before re-sizing, try cropping the photo so that the dial fills the entire image.
Old 19 February 2019, 01:03 AM   #26
South of Heaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Congrats on the watch. It’s nice to restore an old watch.

Good thing you went with plexiglass. That is right for the watch and, also...400usd for a sapphire glass is expensive. They were a bit....hard on your pocket, considering that they charged you 1800usd for the service. I know that you had trouble finding a watchmaker but the regular service for a Datejust costs 700-800usd.

As for the bracelet, try a few nice leather straps, too. That watch looks very good on leather.
Congrats again and enjoy your watch!
Thanks
Old 19 February 2019, 01:03 AM   #27
South of Heaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonhead View Post
that resto looks good and always great to get an old watch back "alive and ticking" and on your wrist.
ty
Old 19 February 2019, 01:05 AM   #28
South of Heaven
"TRF" Member

Dan, my date is still in red today. So I'm assuming it's not roulette.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (40.3 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (56.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (45.6 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (48.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (52.3 KB, 118 views)
Old 19 February 2019, 01:07 AM   #29
South of Heaven
"TRF" Member

6.jpg

7.jpg
Old 23 February 2019, 11:58 PM   #30
South of Heaven
"TRF" Member

I'm so relieved!! I finally found another example of my very rare "chronometre" spelling!! Check out minute 1:40 in this video. I've got a rare timepiece indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3b4NI-t5ys