The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 February 2019, 12:46 AM   #1
Msb06c
"TRF" Member

Icon10 Want to **see** the Hulk in the flesh - NYC

I’ve been lusting for a sub date for far too long. Unfortunately the current market is making things a little harder than expected. Getting the watch is hard enough, but simply seeing one IRL is proving to be impossible.

I’m about 99.5% sure I want the LV Hulk over the LN (I’ll likely eventually own both, but the LV just seems super special as a first watch that I’ll never ever let go!). In fact, I already have a family friend trying to locate one for me, but I expect this to take at least a month or two.

Another family member heard that I was searching for a Rolex and has offered to help connect me with one. Been a jeweler for decades and while strongly advising against a green watch, says she can help locate one for me.

Before I set a second person on the hunt for one, her naysaying has swayed me ever so slightly. I am obviously 100% on the hook with the first friend who is looking for me and will buy the watch if given the opportunity — but it would be sight unseen.

I’ve seen just about every YouTube video on it and have looked at a billion photos of the LV here. I KNOW I’m going to love it, but would really REALLY like to see it in the flesh before dropping 10K, kind of a lot for me.

Im 30, live in Brooklyn and work in NYC. If you have a Hulk you would be willing to show off to me for 5 minutes sometime, I would be extremely grateful, and would compensate you for your time however you’d like - coffee, a beer or two, quick bite, you name it - and meet you at any location of your choosing, your office, even a police station or bank if that was necessary for your peace of mind.

My only other idea would be to try to track down a grey dealer here in the city, but kind of feel odd doing this because I have absolutely no intention to buy that watch for 14K, only for MSRP. Can anyone help a brotha out?

I realize this is a totally bizarre request, but I hope you can empathize with a first time buyer trying to buy something a little odd without ever handling it. Thanks!
Msb06c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 01:05 AM   #2
foo4rolex
"TRF" Member

Go to the Diamond District.
The store at the corner of w 47th and 6th Ave has one on display last week when I passed by.
foo4rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 01:08 AM   #3
Jsimon
"TRF" Member

Diamond district have plenty and not risk of being stolen
Jsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 01:08 AM   #4
Emoney11
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't worry about it. Given the current ss shortage if you don't like the watch you can easily move it and not lose anything
Omega Planet Ocean 8900 43.5
Breitling Superocean 44
Emoney11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 01:16 AM   #5
Cooper33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo4rolex View Post
The store at the corner of w 47th and 6th Ave has one on display last week when I passed by.
Exactly - pretty sure you'll find many Hulks on display there, facing the street. If you go inside the galleries, then many more. Makes you really question where is the so-called SS shortage...
Cooper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 01:28 AM   #6
Msb06c
"TRF" Member

Good call on the Diamond District. I guess I can pop into the Boutiques and ADs over there as well... I’m not often above Houston, so a bit of a hike for me.

I’ve heard so many “wonderful” things about the Diamond District, I don’t think I’ll feel too bad about wasting their time. I’ll be ready for the pushiness, I suppose.

Prob swing by there today or tomorrow after work. I’d still welcome a friendly meeting if anyone is feeling generous! Cheers
Old 22 February 2019, 01:38 AM   #7
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I hear Avi and Co. is excellent.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 01:43 AM   #8
Litflynt912
"TRF" Member

Flawless (Greg Yuna and the crew) has one for sale I believe as well in the district
Litflynt912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 01:58 AM   #9
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex AP Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney11 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Given the current ss shortage if you don't like the watch you can easily move it and not lose anything
This
rw2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 02:09 AM   #10
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Motion in Time is a well stocked store in the DD. I'm on owner Boris' email lisy.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 02:56 AM   #11
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msb06c View Post
I’m not often above Houston, so a bit of a hike for me.

It's a 10min subway ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 02:56 AM   #12
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
You won’t be disappointed !
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 03:06 AM   #13
LndLord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo4rolex View Post
yeap diamond district they have tons of them at market value
LndLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:04 AM   #14
Msb06c
"TRF" Member

So I went over to the Diamond District today. Tons and tons subs, Sd, Gmt, ym, dd/dj... only thing I didn’t see were explorers and Milgauss, now that I think about it.

I will say I was not impressed with the hulk under those harsh ass Diamond lights. To be fair, I didn’t even like the way the classic LN or the beautiful bluesy looked under all that light. Not terribly helpful and not flattering for any of the timepieces IMO.

Their prices were horrifying. Makes the marked up stuff you see around here look very reasonable.
Old 23 February 2019, 10:22 AM   #15
LndLord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So I went over to the Diamond District today. Tons and tons subs, Sd, Gmt, ym, dd/dj... only thing I didn’t see were explorers and Milgauss, now that I think about it.

I will say I was not impressed with the hulk under those harsh ass Diamond lights. To be fair, I didn’t even like the way the classic LN or the beautiful bluesy looked under all that light. Not terribly helpful and not flattering for any of the timepieces IMO.

Their prices were horrifying. Makes the marked up stuff you see around here look very reasonable.
LndLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 01:31 PM   #16
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

I have a hulk and would be willing to meet and show you. I’m not all that concerned about being robbed, so lemme know. I’m in midtown east.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 02:00 PM   #17
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Reminds me of when I was on the hunt for a 16610LV back in 2004 or so and was dying to see one in person, despite the fact that I had my name on lists at about 5 ADs.

I was living in a smaller town with a single mall AD that wasn't much help. Ended up seeing an ad in the paper that a local pawn shop had one in stock. I went there the next day. I can't remember the price at the time but it was above retail for a worn watch, like $5,000 at the time, but it was nice to be able to see it in person.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 02:40 PM   #18
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
I have a hulk and would be willing to meet and show you. I’m not all that concerned about being robbed, so lemme know. I’m in midtown east.
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 03:29 PM   #19
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

I’d help but I have the wrong color sub. I’ve had the hulk for a short while and it’s a fantastic piece. If you are set on it you won’t regret it, just go for it.
Old 24 February 2019, 02:07 AM   #20
Msb06c
"TRF" Member

I’m well aware that if this family member locates a Hulk for me and I don’t like it, I can make a few grand easy. It’s not a risky endeavor. But I have several problems with this

1- I would prefer not to sell my first Rolex... ever. This is for a milestone event.
2- now that I see how hard they are to get, that I’m *maybe* lucky enough to use my connections to get one, seems super fucked up to flip it when tons of people have been waiting and I just snagged their brand new watch simply bc I happen to be someone’s newphew and I’m only 99% sure I’ll love it. This is a big purchase for me and I always wanted the LN, not that I even knew about the LV until shopping around here.
3- I don’t think the people who go to bat for me on a hot watch that’s “undervalued” several thousand dollars would help me out again because i turned around and flip it for “not liking it.” This won’t be my only watch or Rolex as time goes on. I appreciate what they’re doing for me and would like to be respectful about it. It’s BS, but they don’t have to sell me the watch. I’m glad to have the opportunity, as silly as it is. If I get the black one it’s no big deal. I feel differently about the LV because it’s unusual, hard to get new with no prior history, and commands a ridiculous premium right now.

She just wants me to be SURE this is the one before we locate it, and I don’t think it’s an unreasonable request. I don’t think she would have blinked if I was looking for the LN. When she saw the photos and the market rate, it gave her pause before agreeing to help.

PMd Marciano. Looking forward to meeting up and really damn excited about going all in on this hot/crazy sub.
Old 24 February 2019, 03:07 AM   #21
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Quote:

Sounds similar to Watchfinder stores.
The whole store is BLACK with harsh 4000k cold lighting.
The displays look terribly awful. Makes the sub, Daytona’s, GMT look unattractive.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 03:19 AM   #22
Cesarmsi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT, YM,
I had never seen the LV before and when I saw it, it took me 15 secs to tell the sales person to start running the paperwork. It has been almost a yr and I love it!!!
Cesarmsi is offline   Reply With Quote