The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2019, 03:53 AM   #61
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
Wow! Tough crowd today.
not really. IMO the AD rants (some of them) are getting more and more petty. In this one i would put it a 90%+ a reaction to OP's behavior. Not that the AD was being out of line for the sake of being out of line. Certain customer behavior tends to create a certain kind of response.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 04:04 AM   #62
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
not really. IMO the AD rants (some of them) are getting more and more petty. In this one i would put it a 90%+ a reaction to OP's behavior. Not that the AD was being out of line for the sake of being out of line. Certain customer behavior tends to create a certain kind of response.

I agree. It was a long rant, not an inquisitive post. I struggle with self-entitlement and that post oozed of it.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 04:34 AM   #63
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
Honesty, I think you made yourself sound like a twit.... "I'm buying a day date tomorrow, just not from you. Depreciation yada yada."

I'm surprised they didn't drop you through the trap door in the floor... my advice is to drop your ego next time or just stay home
"Release the Hounds!"

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 05:02 AM   #64
misterbass
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieB93 View Post
This is my AD, and they have been nothing but helpful I managed to pick up a hulk in January too!
I got the same treatment as the last fella from these folks....got a look up and down and completely ignored. Must be the pig farmer look accompanied by a hearty post-dinner 'Barney from the Simpsons' belch that did it.

On another note, I did manage to buy a new black face Deepsea last year (along with an Oyster Perpetual for the good lady wife) from an AD. A couple of months later, after them recognising me, I asked about getting a 50th anniversary SD and was told they'd stick me on the list. Actually, I happened to get on top as there was nobody else on it (really?) for this model. The manager showed me the list! Just after Christmas I popped in there unannounced and asked if any 50th SD's had been delivered to store and was told by a sales assistant that they'd sold one a couple of months back. I did managed to hold back the belching this time so am a tad disappointed that I've been ridden over. I asked them to check their list after giving them my name and was told that I was top but they couldn't understand why I hadn't been contacted (they had my correct number etc). But was then reassured that I'd DEFINITELY be next. Yeah, really.

I saw somebody earlier in the thread mention that AD's don't care. Absolutely right. Maybe they'd mislaid my number? Or maybe somebody came in and spent a load more than me and asked about the 50th SD that I was on top of the list for? More likely and I do understand the reason for that. But I do not want to be told the store manager (with a reassuring touch of the shoulder) that he'll make absolutely sure the next one goes my way. I'd tell them to poke it but they'll just sell in a heartbeat to the next person on the list.

By way of self satisfaction, I shall don my most stinkiest pig farmer attire, walk into store, drink 2 tins of coca cola straight down and let one rip! Both ends.
misterbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 05:10 AM   #65
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
She sized you up quickly as someone that wasn't going to buy anything.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 05:13 AM   #66
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
You can’t go to an AD whose livelihood relies on them selling watches, brag to them that you are buying a day-date from somewhere else, and expect them to fall at your feet.
Would you really expect an AD to applaud you for not buying your watch from them?

This is what I got out of this story. Walked into a retailer and got a salesperson that is probably paid on commission. Complimented her watch, good. Got sucked into the tick tack game with a salesperson that likely has zero control about who gets to buy what watches, and then told her that I am buying a gold DD tomorrow, from someone else because they depriciate.

After that you got what you had coming INHO.
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 05:24 AM   #67
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
If I’m traveling and have time I like to stop by ADs I have no purchase history with and no plans to buy from. I just like to browse and see what they have and just talk shop.

Usually once they recognize that I just want to talk, and I’m not just somebody else looking to flip or asking for SS pieces they relax and open up.

No pretenses, no bragging, no begging.

Not sure what the goal was here. The last thing ADs want to hear is somebody buying secondary or grey. They don’t care because they know you won’t buy from them.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 05:39 AM   #68
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
I absolutely agree with you in principal. But that doesn't really apply to the op's story where he denigrates the notion of buying a Day Date for retail from an AD because it is cheaper to buy secondhand elsewhere.

In my estimations respect is earned not given - and it is a two way street.

I am happy not to do business (in any form it may take) with anybody that requires me to put them on a pedestal.
I agree with you completely. I would not have discussed buying secondhand or a grey dealer with an AD; that can be considered somewhat rude. ADs are entitled to make a profit but since they do work for a living they should treat their clients with respect.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 05:39 AM   #69
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

There was no reason for this "incident" to be reported on RF
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 05:44 AM   #70
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechMovement View Post
1) Walks into AD to talk to manager
2) Asks sales assistant how she has landed an LVc in a "non offensive" manner
3) Gets offended by sales assistants "abrupt" response
4) Brags about buying a DD from another vendor
5) Doesn't get SS piece
6) Posts thread on TRF

Sigh. Self entitlement eh.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Haha, my thoughts precisely.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 05:50 AM   #71
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
There was no reason for this "incident" to be reported on RF
its all becoming so reality tv like. so much manufactured drama
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 24 February 2019, 05:51 AM   #72
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
No offence but if you volunteer information to a sales person like 'I am buying a day-date second hand because it is so much cheaper...I would never buy one from an AD' they are not likely to treat you like a big spender.

If you know what you can and cannot afford there is no way she can make you feel like a tw@. You just end the interaction and move on.

This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 06:01 AM   #73
JacksonStone
Banned

So me and my BFF were watching The Bachelor and I'm like OMFG Colton is so amazeballs. And BFF is like totes but these chicks are cray cray. And I'm like totes IDK why Colton is still a virgin tho. And BFF is like LOL he's so not and was like I have a friend who works on the set and was like he like totally put a banana in the fruit salad like 20 times over with three of the cray chicks. And I'm like STFU no way what about the Fantasy Suites? And BFF is like yeah huh but it's cool cuz he already kicked the cray chicks to the curb so the Fantasy Suites will still be awesome sauce. So like now my world is totally done.

Rolex related because I like totally had my Sub on during this convo.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 06:11 AM   #74
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
You are like thousand others who want a BLRO, Daytona, Hulk but don't give any incentive to this AD to sell you one. You will never get one from any AD if you sing this song
X2
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 06:43 AM   #75
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Speedy, Rolex
No reason to discuss buying preowned watches in order to save money with an AD. What good doe that do either of you?
myc ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 06:46 AM   #76
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
So me and my BFF were watching The Bachelor and I'm like OMFG Colton is so amazeballs. And BFF is like totes but these chicks are cray cray. And I'm like totes IDK why Colton is still a virgin tho. And BFF is like LOL he's so not and was like I have a friend who works on the set and was like he like totally put a banana in the fruit salad like 20 times over with three of the cray chicks. And I'm like STFU no way what about the Fantasy Suites? And BFF is like yeah huh but it's cool cuz he already kicked the cray chicks to the curb so the Fantasy Suites will still be awesome sauce. So like now my world is totally done.

mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 06:48 AM   #77
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Does "she was like" or "I was like" mean you both actually said something to each other.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 07:12 AM   #78
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

: dude:
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 07:43 AM   #79
Dr Watches
Banned

You sound like exactly the sort of “customer” that a salesperson would rather not spend time on. Don’t take everything so personally. Perspective is a nice thing.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 12:08 PM   #80
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:

Best post ever
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 12:21 PM   #81
MinMay
Banned

I don't blame her...I would do the same...

seriously...you're not special like most of us here.... They don't need your business....they have enough billionaire that they rather entertain without any small talks...
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 12:44 PM   #82
frankfrazetta
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Explorer II
Like, that was, like, an interesting like story, like I liked it.

Like?

Or,

No like?
frankfrazetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:42 PM   #83
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Ohhhh...I see...you HAVE seen the story before and know how it ends!

Great grasp of the theme

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 02:08 PM   #84
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

why would you tell the AD you're getting a used dd off a grey and you'd never buy new?
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 02:35 PM   #85
bob101
"TRF" Member

Wouldnt a more diplomatic tactic have been to say that you were in the market for a day date but also some stainless steel sports pieces? You could then bring likelihood of getting on list for hulk etc if purchased the pm piece from them?
Potentially getting several ss pieces at retail from them over a duration would make up for any loss of value on the day date If you ever decided to sell it later that is.

Don't get the comments about Chinese buyers, theyre entitled to shop wherever they please, not their fault daft folk voted for Brexit and reduced pound value. UK would be in more of a state if they werent going there and spending money. You can also go to HK and buy whatever you like tax free also, you could probably pick up a hulk etc for not far off UK price on grey market and "fill your boots" as you say..
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 05:51 PM   #86
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

Why don’t you just get these hot models from your AD?
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 06:05 PM   #87
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
How did you expect to be treated when you told them you’d buy used to avoid the depreciation on a gold watch? You used poor judgement. Own it and move on.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 07:22 PM   #88
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its all becoming so reality tv like. so much manufactured drama
This thread reminds me of another thread where the OP is peed off because the SA at the ADs were wearing hot SS models.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 07:36 PM   #89
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex Essex View Post
This thread reminds me of another thread where the OP is peed off because the SA at the ADs were wearing hot SS models.
there was another thread once where some guy was in an AD and the AD asked to see his watch that he had on, and the AD handled it without gloves. OP had a fit
Old 24 February 2019, 07:41 PM   #90
RolexNinja7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/Breitling
This post peed me off
RolexNinja7 is offline   Reply With Quote