The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 February 2019, 11:41 PM   #1
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Safety Deposit Box (UK)

Sadly I can’t get Hiscox insurance due to living in a flood risk area so I was thinking next of getting a safety deposit box. Unlike the USA they’re pretty hard to get hold of in banks (outside of London anyway).

But I found these
https://liverpoolvaults.co.uk

So I’m tempted to keep the SOTC in the Liver buildings under lock and key. It’s only about £200 p/a and I can bump the insurance up to cover the total amount for another £300.

Obviously not as convienant as having them all at home but absense makes the heart grow fonder and a trip to Liverpool once a month for a rotation would be kind of fun.

Only risks I can think of is a Hattan Garden style raid or maybe the company going bust?

Anyone else used a box or heard any positive or negative stories?

TIA
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:45 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i would rather install a heavy duty safe in my house than driving to the bank every time i want to wear a watch.

Unless you are targeted and they come in with power tools there is no way you are losing the contents of your safe in a random burglary if its big, installed correctly and if you have a home alarm as they won't have all day to complete the job your risk is nearly zero.

I say it all the time, but if i was a thief i would wait outside the bank and follow people home who are using the safe deposit boxes. You know they have good stuff and now you know where they live.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:48 AM   #3
betterwatchit
"TRF" Member

Try Metrobank. I believe all branches have them.
betterwatchit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 02:40 AM   #4
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
With a lot of the older style banks closing, they are harder to come by.

but i have a cunning plan, tongue in cheek of course.

If you speak nicely with your local premium coffee outlet or funnily enough probably a bistro or bar called "The Bank", or "Bowlers", "Bankers Breakfast" etc. You get the idea.

As these establishments are mostly now occupying old high street bank premises of many if not most towns in the UK.

They might let you use the old vaults in the basement as most of them were left in situ.

On a serious note, nice solid insurance rated Chubb or similar, 5k cash rating will give you 50k jewellery rating
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 08:02 AM   #5
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Thanks all. I hear what you are saying and agree. Unfortunately as a contractor I move around a lot and live in rented apartments (and don’t drive anymore) so a professionally installed safe isn’t an option, there’s no Metrobank nearby and I’m not in London. My current flat is also next to a river so I can’t get Hiscox (or similar) to insure me either.

I think the Liverpool Vault plus taking their insurance is looking like an attractive option (all things considered).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 February 2019, 09:57 AM   #6
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Safe deposit box is a must IMHO. They’re very difficult to get though.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 07:00 PM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Safe deposit box is a must IMHO. They’re very difficult to get though.
when we got ours in Houston we had to call many, many banks. We only use it to store documents/wills/titles and stuff but these days banks are smaller and it takes up a lot of space to operate that.

IMO the fact they charge like $200 a year for one seems way too low considering they charge you like $8 a month for a checking account (assuming you dont meet the requirements for a free one). Its not proportionate to other fees so i find it odd.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 24 February 2019, 07:12 PM   #8
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
when we got ours in Houston we had to call many, many banks. We only use it to store documents/wills/titles and stuff but these days banks are smaller and it takes up a lot of space to operate that.

IMO the fact they charge like $200 a year for one seems way too low considering they charge you like $8 a month for a checking account (assuming you dont meet the requirements for a free one). Its not proportionate to other fees so i find it odd.

Hi, it’s in the UK operated by a private company that have taken over the vaults in the Royal Liver Building (an old insurance head quarters).

Old 24 February 2019, 11:46 PM   #9
OysterBracelet
Banned

Submit the watch to RSC for a full service and then refuse to collect it.
OysterBracelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 12:54 AM   #10
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Fire proof, flood proof, earthquake proof vaults in the Docks from 1912. Finger print required for access and a dual key system.

Also underwritten by Lloyd’s of London for £175 per annum. That’s pretty good value I reckon.

Old 25 February 2019, 01:17 AM   #11
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

One of the first buildings in the world to use re-enforced concrete, interesting. The birds are called Bella and Bertie. Thanks Google haha.

Probably kept all the insurance policies in the basement strong rooms when everything was paper.

Nice one.
Old 25 February 2019, 01:25 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I prefer safe deposit boxes.

I’m 5 minutes from my bank so it’s handy. I sleep easier at night knowing I have nothing of value at home that would interest burglars except furniture ...

If they want to move that, be my guest
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 02:45 AM   #13
The Kermit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub16610LV /OP/GMT
I have one in Leeds city centre gives a piece of mind end of the day
The Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 02:55 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
i would rather install a heavy duty safe in my house than driving to the bank every time i want to wear a watch.
Which is the first thing crooks want to break into / steal. Safes are a very good 'fake valuables' lure, use it accordingly. If you don't know the game, please educate yourself.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 03:21 AM   #15
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Which is the first thing crooks want to break into / steal. Safes are a very good 'fake valuables' lure, use it accordingly. If you don't know the game, please educate yourself.
I disagree. Most home burglaries are smash and grabs. coming in with safe cracking equipment is not your every day kind of job. If someone is casing your house that hard they also know you came and go from the bank all the time (if you are using a safe deposit box) so they know your routine and you are getting it solen no matter what you do

Plus they have to find the safe, get into it, and get out before the cops get there. Unless they are also going to disable the alarm and the battery backup first.

i had a break in and electronics got stolen, thats it. No one went near my safe
Old 25 February 2019, 03:34 AM   #16
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Was a spate of burglaries with extreme violence in the UK recently, where they forced the homeowner to disclose then open safes.

interesting article in the DM about linked raids, now stopped. They think perp is either dead or overseas. interesting point is that the British MoD would not allow the investigating force access to its DNA database! Read into that what you may.
Old 25 February 2019, 03:49 AM   #17
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Wouldn’t surprise me. Probably from the barracks where the junior soldiers keep getting killed in bizarre firearms accidents and no one investigates.

Old 26 February 2019, 04:30 AM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I disagree. Most home burglaries are smash and grabs....

i had a break in and electronics got stolen, thats it. No one went near my safe
Guess you never lived though a home invasion. That's a good thing... for you. Safes are great bait, use them accordingly. If you truly are not aware of the many places to hide things... Many home safes are quite easy to break into tho. Gun safes are generally easier still.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2019, 12:23 PM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Guess you never lived though a home invasion. That's a good thing... for you. Safes are great bait, use them accordingly. If you truly are not aware of the many places to hide things... Many home safes are quite easy to break into tho. Gun safes are generally easier still.
He literally experienced one about a month ago and posted about it on here.

I agree a dummy safe is a good play though. I don’t want anything large and significant safe wise in my house. If I have a 10k safe in the basement a criminal might be inclined to stick around until I’m home and point his at me to open it.