The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2019, 02:43 AM   #1
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
Batman and Hulk Prices

It seems the market for the BLNR is softening, and prices settling down a bit, at least on DavidSW. Meanwhile the Hulk prices are going bonkers. NIB Hulk with stickers now over $14K!! This is insane....57% premium over retail. Hoping the Hulk survives another year with the existing movement and prices come down after Basel. Im on the list at my AD but I worry if the Hulk gets a new movement it’s going to be a LONG wait.
cdubg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 02:48 AM   #2
fleabag
"TRF" Member

The prices on the hulk are through the roof at £11.5k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fleabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 02:50 AM   #3
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Seems like with a little looking Hulks can still be had like new in the mid to low 12’s. It will be interesting to see how both of these are impacted by whatever is released in Basel.

Old 24 February 2019, 02:54 AM   #4
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Hulk 2018 selling on ebay in UK for £9500 to £10500, although I missed one at £7500 with freepost in the week...Grrrrrr....

My AD said they new qty they would receive this year (first time I have heard such a thing?) not sure what to believe or think, but still OK on my wait list.....
They also thought only movement change and watch would continue, along with BLNR, but again only "R" knows for sure - and they ain't tellin!!
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 02:55 AM   #5
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
That’s just ridiculous.

When I bought my hulk a cpl years back - I got a hefty discount. My AD couldn’t give one away. Lol.

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 02:59 AM   #6
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
That’s just ridiculous.

When I bought my hulk a cpl years back - I got a hefty discount. My AD couldn’t give one away. Lol.

I walked into my AD two and a half years ago after calling them to confirm they had one. They told me it was sitting in the display and had been there for a few weeks. I walked in on a random Wednesday and bought it discounted at whatever the tax would have been. Basically I paid MSRP after tax was calculated on the discount. I got my BLNR from a trusted seller BNIB for $800 less than MSRP a few months prior to that.

I think the market really sucks for people just getting into Rolex. I feel fortunate I built my collection when I did. I am not lusting over anything new, but I am definitely disincentivized from expanding my collection on the whims I had a few years back.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 02:59 AM   #7
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Quote:
That’s just ridiculous.

Yeah! Late 2016 I chose not to buy a s/h one at £6100 as they were msrp about £6440? (I think) and I foolishly thought I would pay the extra and go new......
then the famine....and now would be glad to get at msrp or s/h at under £8500 - both of which seem like a dream only!!
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 03:02 AM   #8
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I walked into my AD two and a half years ago after calling them to confirm they had one. They told me it was sitting in the display and had been there for a few weeks. I walked in on a random Wednesday and bought it discounted at whatever the tax would have been. Basically I paid MSRP after tax was calculated on the discount. I got my BLNR from a trusted seller BNIB for $800 less than MSRP a few months prior to that.

I think the market really sucks for people just getting into Rolex. I feel fortunate I built my collection when I did. I am not lusting over anything new, but I am definitely disincentivized from expanding my collection on the whims I had a few years back.

I hear you in all fronts. Sounds eerily similar to where I am. From being an enthusiast and collector for many many years - its the first time, in a long time I haven’t been ‘after’ one reference or another...

And I too feel bad for the new enthusiast. I’ve told several friends (very interested in watches) to get another hobby until things settle.

Old 24 February 2019, 03:51 AM   #9
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hear you in all fronts. Sounds eerily similar to where I am. From being an enthusiast and collector for many many years - its the first time, in a long time I haven’t been ‘after’ one reference or another...

And I too feel bad for the new enthusiast. I’ve told several friends (very interested in watches) to get another hobby until things settle.

Yeah, I mean all of us here love Rolex and I can understand not wanting to settle for something else. I have however been highly encouraging friends of mine who come to me interested in watches and not set on one particular brand to look at IWC, Omega more. I tend to be more reluctant to suggest Panerai as they are an acquired taste. I've even gone back to suggesting Breitling to some as I feel that they are starting to right the ship over there. I really like IWC as an alternative. They have reasonably conservative designs. Tasteful. A lot of offerings. I do not think an Aquatimer stacks up to a Submariner, but I think a lot of their Portuguese and Pilot's offerings are on par with most other brands in the upper middle class of watch manufacturers like Rolex, Panerai, Omega, etc.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 04:02 AM   #10
JRT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwgibson21 View Post
It seems the market for the BLNR is softening, and prices settling down a bit, at least on DavidSW.
No, BLNR (Unworn Condition/Protective Plastics in Place) on DavidSW is still $14,175. It is not softening at all.
JRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 04:11 AM   #11
leisen
"TRF" Member

For me it is a paradox to see how although the youngest are not in general interested in wearing watches, however, the professional Rolex, some PP's (Nautilus) and some AP´s (Royal Oak) are increasingly difficult to get, even paying the MSRP and above. I do not just understand this artificial shortage. I think, however, that it obeys a brand strategy.
leisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 04:22 AM   #12
Dean88
"TRF" Member

I'd love to see rolex release some different models, maybe a SS coke and a different coloured sub to spread the hype a little, but then again it might not make any difference.
Dean88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 04:44 AM   #13
mml4
"TRF" Member

We as a group of enthusiasts have got to calm down! I know my AD and some of the other ADs I visit follow this site and others on a daily basis.The anxiety expressed here and elsewhere causes the price to the grey dealers to increase and the number of units available to us direct from an AD to diminish.
Case in point was what happened to the 116680 a few weeks ago after a rather long thread here regarding that particular reference. I watched the price increase over $1000.00 in a few days as units I had seen for months on grey sites all of a sudden rose in price. If we want to be able to buy from ADs at msrp or grey at a reasonable premium we can't be willing to accept prices at these inflated levels. The temptation experienced by an AD to sell to a grey at over msrp rather than to one of us at msrp is just too strong given the current anxiety driven atmosphere.
In addition non issues such as a movement change being significant in determining price/demand is ridiculous. Nobody ever writes about movements until there is some suspicion there will be a change. At that point hysteria takes over! I believe if we were honest amongst ourselves 99% of us would acknowledge the increase to 70hrs is not material.
Rolex prices are approaching Tulip- mania as described in the second Wall Street movie. It is a situation of our making.
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 04:55 AM   #14
Dean88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mml4 View Post
We as a group of enthusiasts have got to calm down! I know my AD and some of the other ADs I visit follow this site and others on a daily basis.The anxiety expressed here and elsewhere causes the price to the grey dealers to increase and the number of units available to us direct from an AD to diminish.
Case in point was what happened to the 116680 a few weeks ago after a rather long thread here regarding that particular reference. I watched the price increase over $1000.00 in a few days as units I had seen for months on grey sites all of a sudden rose in price. If we want to be able to buy from ADs at msrp or grey at a reasonable premium we can't be willing to accept prices at these inflated levels. The temptation experienced by an AD to sell to a grey at over msrp rather than to one of us at msrp is just too strong given the current anxiety driven atmosphere.
In addition non issues such as a movement change being significant in determining price/demand is ridiculous. Nobody ever writes about movements until there is some suspicion there will be a change. At that point hysteria takes over! I believe if we were honest amongst ourselves 99% of us would acknowledge the increase to 70hrs is not material.
Rolex prices are approaching Tulip- mania as described in the second Wall Street movie. It is a situation of our making.
Agreed, these watches have reached Bitcoin peak levels and looks what's happened there. People are panicking thinking the prices will never come down, they will but it will take time, maybe 5 years but eventually it will level out
Dean88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 05:19 AM   #15
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Yeah, I mean all of us here love Rolex and I can understand not wanting to settle for something else. I have however been highly encouraging friends of mine who come to me interested in watches and not set on one particular brand to look at IWC, Omega more. I tend to be more reluctant to suggest Panerai as they are an acquired taste. I've even gone back to suggesting Breitling to some as I feel that they are starting to right the ship over there. I really like IWC as an alternative. They have reasonably conservative designs. Tasteful. A lot of offerings. I do not think an Aquatimer stacks up to a Submariner, but I think a lot of their Portuguese and Pilot's offerings are on par with most other brands in the upper middle class of watch manufacturers like Rolex, Panerai, Omega, etc.

Agree - that is spot on.

For me - I’m going through a similar though process as I’m a big Patek fan as well. But - what all of this ‘flux’ in the watch world around certain manufacturers has done the same for me as well. I love JLC, ALS, Laurent Ferrier and Journe as well - and there are SO many references out there that are amazing (multiple complications, etc). I’ve been on a Perpetual Calendar kick here lately. IWC is another that has some fantastic watches with great pedigree.

I would submit that if more thought this way...it would be quite a different situation - and with all the premiums - looking at what some of these aforementioned manufacturers offer in those ranges can be quite surprising!!

Old 24 February 2019, 05:30 AM   #16
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Quote:
Originally Posted by mml4 View Post

Exactly this. When I picked up my
no date sun yesterday he said that this is exactly what drives it along with insta, FB etc and the end result is serious enthusiasts are left out and profiteers well,...profit. It’ll burst at some
Point and whether it’s a global
Crash or
Rolex slowing ramping up
Production remains to be seen. Personally, I’ve only been into this one year but I think Rolex want Tudor to ultimately fill the SS market and then in a few years they have a go at PP. But they’re a notch above so it’ll likely mean production going down not up. My 2c.

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 06:14 AM   #17
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwgibson21 View Post
It seems the market for the BLNR is softening, and prices settling down a bit, at least on DavidSW. Meanwhile the Hulk prices are going bonkers. NIB Hulk with stickers now over $14K!! This is insane....57% premium over retail. Hoping the Hulk survives another year with the existing movement and prices come down after Basel. Im on the list at my AD but I worry if the Hulk gets a new movement it’s going to be a LONG wait.
BLNR is actually going up almost daily from what I see.
Nairn1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 06:23 AM   #18
MaxiDial
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Just threw my name on the list at the AD for a Hulk... T minus 365 days!
MaxiDial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 06:38 AM   #19
fleabag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxiDial View Post
Just threw my name on the list at the AD for a Hulk... T minus 365 days!

You hope

Old 24 February 2019, 07:19 AM   #20
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
That’s just ridiculous.

It's called hype. The more other people want it, the harder it is to get, the more people clamor for it.

Now, it's all speculation. People are hoarding the damn watch and even buying it in the hope it gets discontinued.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 07:21 AM   #21
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_Omega View Post
It's called hype. The more other people want it, the harder it is to get, the more people clamor for it.

Now, it's all speculation. People are hoarding the damn watch and even buying it in the hope it gets discontinued.

Yep. Pretty sad.

Old 24 February 2019, 09:54 AM   #22
jenedla
"TRF" Member

Watch: can't choose
"It seems the market for the BLNR is softening, and prices settling down a bit..."

nope
jenedla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:55 AM   #23
SWISSAHOLICS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I don't see any softening my friend

"The one thing I fear most is time; time waits for no one and leaves no options."
SWISSAHOLICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 10:00 AM   #24
Steel28
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
BLNR prices are going up as well.
Old 24 February 2019, 11:11 PM   #25
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
All this hype is crazy. I was slightly nervous paying MSRP back in 2015 - can’t imagine paying $5k over retail today. Seems unwise.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 11:17 PM   #26
peterpl
Banned

Goodluck to all you suckers paying these prices.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 12:05 AM   #27
carolina23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Ceramic WH
In my opinion, Stainless Steel Daytona is the only Rolex sport watch I would ever pay a premium for...
carolina23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 12:42 AM   #28
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Welcome to the Basel hype of certain watches are to be updated or discontinue. The prices will move up and depending on what happens will settle down. That is the trend I have seen over the last few years.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 01:00 AM   #29
Just1More
"TRF" Member

I mean really

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Goodluck to all you suckers paying these prices.
People who pay over MSRP want the watch. They are not suckers. If the watch is NOT available at an AD for whatever the reason --credible or not-- and a collector, enthusiast, investor, passionate or just any reason we are on this forum they can pay the market price. Think of an IPO for a stock. Those that have access to early prices buy and then re-sell to other suckers? no, just people who want the stock. This is a luxury brand that has hit a new reality. It is not a bubble to burst. It is new reality in our lifetime. It will not go away no matter how much we like it or don't like it. If you feel those that pay above MSRP are suckers then you are living in the past. Wake up and join the masses or go back to the past and enjoy what you have. Don't pay "sucker" prices and leave more watches for those that will. I guess I am a "sucker" and I am happy with my collection, choices and prices paid.
Just1More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 01:01 AM   #30
fleabag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venron View Post
People who pay over MSRP want the watch. They are not suckers. If the watch is NOT available at an AD for whatever the reason --credible or not-- and a collector, enthusiast, investor, passionate or just any reason we are on this forum they can pay the market price. Think of an IPO for a stock. Those that have access to early prices buy and then re-sell to other suckers? no, just people who want the stock. This is a luxury brand that has hit a new reality. It is not a bubble to burst. It is new reality in our lifetime. It will not go away no matter how much we like it or don't like it. If you feel those that pay above MSRP are suckers then you are living in the past. Wake up and join the masses or go back to the past and enjoy what you have. Don't pay "sucker" prices and leave more watches for those that will. I guess I am a "sucker" and I am happy with my collection, choices and prices paid.

Well said