The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 June 2019, 03:58 AM   #31
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I prefer the blue dial to be honest.

Just based on production numbers alone, it's not the new 5711, just another watch over retail lol.
Old 6 June 2019, 04:01 AM   #32
Big Ern
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Lol dealers buying up inventory to capitalize on fools who take JM word as gospel. All in the game I suppose.
Exactly.
Big Ern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 04:01 AM   #33
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Is this the watch? https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ghlight=116508

Can you buy a different dial color at less than retail, then do a dial swap?
Yes already sold

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 04:03 AM   #34
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
Yes already sold
I'd buy the black dial at $31K and do an RSC dial swap before I paid north of $43K for the green dial.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 04:08 AM   #35
Big Ern
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
What is equally strange to me is that in that interview he also mentioned the blue dial white gold Daytona, and I could have just gotten one of those in an AD in Canada for 5% off. Sitting in the display. Odd to me that only the green dial took off, but his blue dial/WG play hasn't moved at all - or not that I have noticed.
True. I much prefer the WG blue dial. I think it is stunning. However, if a lot of the hype for YG/green dial is fueled by JM fanboys/girls, then I would suspect they also may be influenced by the bling factor of YG. No data to back this up, just a thought.

I have a 116505 and rarely wear it because of the bling factor and am considering switching to a WG daytona or smurf so I can fly under the radar so to speak.
Big Ern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 04:08 AM   #36
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Only one person ever effects my buying influence and thats myself and myself only.But many buy into the hype in watches influenced by the likes of JM,and today many buy just to wear the hype thinking they have something extremely special.
Agree. I think some of these buyers are hoping to acquire this piece thinking it will be some sort of investment in the future.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 04:19 AM   #37
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Its a beautiful watch for sure... but with the current climate of over hype and plentiful liquidity in the market, I am afraid too much speculations are being put into most of desirable Rolexes.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 04:22 AM   #38
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
JM thought both the green dial and the blue dial Daytona were both overlooked when first released. I have seen the WG blue dial available below retail, green dial price going crazy.
Rado63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 04:29 AM   #39
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

While I think some rolex references will always hold value as they have in the past, something is like this is the definition of a bubble IMO. People paying so much for speculative value based on the flavor of the month comment made by some celebrity.

In 20 years we might look back and say "who thought it was a good idea to put yellow gold and green together, yuck!"
Old 6 June 2019, 04:36 AM   #40
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...Your Thoughts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
I prefer the blue dial to be honest.

Just based on production numbers alone, it's not the new 5711, just another watch over retail lol.
Hey John, and yes you are correct, I was more referring to the crazy trend of increasing prices like 5711.
Eddie was trying to sell me BNIB for $56,500. But that seems to be the going rate for sellers that actually have a brand new one in stock.
It is climbing FAST the past week even. Most of the listings online are out of stock/sold so there is an illusion that it is available.

I like the blue dial too, just something about these two I love.
brmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 04:38 AM   #41
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
Yes already sold
Yes, I have called all trusted Sellers, that price is NOT AVAILABLE ANYWHERE now unless you want to wait a couple months w/ full deposit.
Believe me, TRF and Trusted Sellers here was my first place to look.
None of them have one.
Old 6 June 2019, 04:41 AM   #42
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'd buy the black dial at $31K and do an RSC dial swap before I paid north of $43K for the green dial.
You'll lose value on that... If you get it factory equipped, the value will hold better and you'll come out ahead.
I don't think personally that is a wise decision, the value of this watch is not going down anytime soon.
You have a better delta on watch if you trade or sell, likely make money. You'll lose the other way most likely.
BUT , if you plan on never selling, I guess I don't see the harm in that... just do it with a 116508, not 116528
Old 6 June 2019, 04:46 AM   #43
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ern View Post
True. I much prefer the WG blue dial. I think it is stunning. However, if a lot of the hype for YG/green dial is fueled by JM fanboys/girls, then I would suspect they also may be influenced by the bling factor of YG. No data to back this up, just a thought.

I have a 116505 and rarely wear it because of the bling factor and am considering switching to a WG daytona or smurf so I can fly under the radar so to speak.
I agree. The blue is stunning and very discreet for what it is. I love it. Just can't afford it.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 04:49 AM   #44
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ern View Post

I think at this point it is beyond JM hype. I personally don't think it is going
down anytime soon, just like people predicting 5711 bubble would burst, but it DID NOT...

And it is more than bling, it is beauty, and truly a watch I would enjoy even if no one was looking at me or noticing it. Of course it is hard not to notice it, but it would not be the reason I would wear it.

116505 is nice, I would wear that!!
I do like WG Daytona too, and both have a totally different look.
Old 6 June 2019, 04:50 AM   #45
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

The green dial was hard to get before John Mayer ever mentioned it.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 04:52 AM   #46
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
While I think some rolex references will always hold value as they have in the past, something is like this is the definition of a bubble IMO. People paying so much for speculative value based on the flavor of the month comment made by some celebrity.

In 20 years we might look back and say "who thought it was a good idea to put yellow gold and green together, yuck!"
I disagree with this on both counts. Of course it is speculative, but I think we'll look back and realize this was a classic collectors references.
I think John is right on this. I think both WG and YG 2016 models really highlight the Metal Bezel Daytona Look and Aesthetic and Bring it to a glorious conclusion.
Yes there are still metal bezel Daytonas in PM, but I have a Feeling Rolex will at some point transition to CE and we'll really remember THOSE two and SS references... just my opinion.

And I could not disagree more on the yellow gold and green being "yuck"... I don't see that at all.
One of the most beautiful dials alongside the most classic Rolex yellow gold. Match made in heaven in my opinion.
Old 6 June 2019, 04:57 AM   #47
TommyBahama18
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Lol dealers buying up inventory to capitalize on fools who take JM word as gospel. All in the game I suppose.
Couldn’t have said it anybetter!!!
TommyBahama18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 05:33 AM   #48
Keepchasing
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by brmeyers View Post
You'll lose value on that... If you get it factory equipped, the value will hold better and you'll come out ahead.
I don't think personally that is a wise decision, the value of this watch is not going down anytime soon.
You have a better delta on watch if you trade or sell, likely make money. You'll lose the other way most likely.
BUT , if you plan on never selling, I guess I don't see the harm in that... just do it with a 116508, not 116528
You mean like the one in your pic? Wrong bezel.

I do love this reference btw.
Keepchasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 05:40 AM   #49
Flybak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
It's a nice watch, but not at the premiums currently being asked. Better options for less in my opinion.
Flybak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 05:41 AM   #50
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I disagree with this on both counts. Of course it is speculative, but I think we'll look back and realize this was a classic collectors references.
I think John is right on this. I think both WG and YG 2016 models really highlight the Metal Bezel Daytona Look and Aesthetic and Bring it to a glorious conclusion.
Yes there are still metal bezel Daytonas in PM, but I have a Feeling Rolex will at some point transition to CE and we'll really remember THOSE two and SS references... just my opinion.

And I could not disagree more on the yellow gold and green being "yuck"... I don't see that at all.
One of the most beautiful dials alongside the most classic Rolex yellow gold. Match made in heaven in my opinion.
I am in your camp and agree its a beautiful reference. I am just highlighting how unpredictable it is when we talk about trends down the line and our ever-changing preferences. Best part is, no one knows! Hence the speculation..
Old 6 June 2019, 06:28 AM   #51
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I had a conversation about this watch a while back with my AD. Bottom line, it's not going to be an easy find going the AD route. For the foreseeable future.

Beautiful watch, though.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 08:31 AM   #52
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The LVc has also normalised the green dial idea so not such an outlier any more.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 10:01 AM   #53
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I had a conversation about this watch a while back with my AD. Bottom line, it's not going to be an easy find going the AD route. For the foreseeable future.

Beautiful watch, though.
I had a similar conversation with an AD just a few days before the JM Talking Watches episode aired. AD basically said it was near impossible to get. They had an VIP client they were trying to source one for and had given up after over a year of not seeing one. Again, this was before the JM christening.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 10:17 AM   #54
Goldnlivin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have a feeling the value on this one is going to keep climbing.
My prediction is that they will be nearly unobtainable below $60,000 by the end of this month. BNIB w/ warranty card of course.
It will be fun to follow the trend here, I think anyone buying new right now w/ papers under $50,000 will come out ahead.
This is based on me spending HOURS calling around and seeing firsthand what the market is like on this watch right now.
Pretty crazy, I am waiting for mine to arrive! You get a feel for the market when you start calling around, that's how I learned this market! Let's see what happens! Good Luck!
Goldnlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 11:27 AM   #55
mml4
"TRF" Member

Threads such as this from the impatient in combination with the unscrupulous business practices of the Chrono 24 outlets create the insanity we are now seeing.
The OP needs to find himself an AD, place an order and be patient.

A fool and his $ will soon be separated. Anyone who thinks a mass produced item that CAN be had for msrp will continue to trade at 2x is a fool.

Save your money -This bubble is not sustainable and will burst. These watches no matter how much we love them are not true rarities!!
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 11:47 AM   #56
Goldnlivin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mml4 View Post
Threads such as this from the impatient in combination with the unscrupulous business practices of the Chrono 24 outlets create the insanity we are now seeing.
The OP needs to find himself an AD, place an order and be patient.

A fool and his $ will soon be separated. Anyone who thinks a mass produced item that CAN be had for msrp will continue to trade at 2x is a fool.

Save your money -This bubble is not sustainable and will burst. These watches no matter how much we love them are not true rarities!!
Better than Bitcoin...at least you can enjoy and or touch/feel these!
Goldnlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 11:47 AM   #57
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Ah. You're buying to flip, not buying to keep.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 12:44 PM   #58
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ah. You're buying to flip, not buying to keep.
That is never the plan going in, but like with cars, I like variety.
But even if I kept it, I would be uneasy having an imposter, even if only a facelift.
I would want the real deal, even if it is only on paper.
And hey, don't judge, dial flipping is another form of flipping...
Old 6 June 2019, 12:52 PM   #59
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
So Hipsterdinkee interviews a celebrity who raves over watch that dealers couldn’t sell previously, and now it’s the most wondermous watch in the Rolex lineup ?

Hope he doesn’t jump off a cliff so the forum will have enough survivors to continue !

Old 6 June 2019, 12:56 PM   #60
davenotize
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
I see a lot of people hating on the green daytona. Like me, lots of people liked it before JM said anything. I personally couldnt afford it at that time. Now I do and now I want it. Whether somebody wants to pay msrp or pay more, why rain on their parade. If you hve the money to go over msrp more power to you and enjoy it with great health. Simple
davenotize is offline   Reply With Quote