The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12 April 2020, 03:36 AM   #1
IR201
"TRF" Member

Grey prices

I'm still seeing new pieces being posted which don't reflect much of a drop in sales price, if at all - question of course is why not, though I believe there's another thread on that, but does anyone know whether trade in values are still the same/similar then if prices are not dropping? Or are greys keeping prices pretty consistent but changing trade value behaviour?
Old 12 April 2020, 03:42 AM   #2
Commonproject
Banned

Lol what are all these threads being made about no drops in prices when they clearly have - are you all undercover greys or being paid by them or something? Prices are clearly dropping for all the hot models in the last month

BLNR: $15K-->$12K
Pepsi: $17K-->$14K
Daytona: $25K-->$19K
Hulk: $16K-->$13.5K
Old 12 April 2020, 03:44 AM   #3
golfgrouch
Banned

Asking prices are far removed from actual sale prices. What grays are offering to buy is a better gauge of actual price trend.

I tried to start an actual sales price report thread but it was immediately thread crapped into oblivion. It's a shame because it could have been so useful to dispel all this pricing speculation.
Old 12 April 2020, 03:51 AM   #4
aw9nineteen
"TRF" Member

I think the Greys see this and it makes them not drop prices haha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12 April 2020, 03:51 AM   #5
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
The bigger / established grey dealers are holding firm for a couple reasons I’d assume...
-because they’re a bit deeper pocketed, and can hold out on dropping prices for awhile
- once one starts.....well you know the rest

The bigger ‘deals’ will be from individuals who “need” to sell. I think the greys are watching the news like everyone else, and seeing there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and hopefully ...like everyone else....they’re thinking this won’t be a long lasting event. They can hold out for a while.
I made a trade recently, not for a super large $ piece, but it involved an OP39, (giving monetary perspective)..and I was treated very fairly on the trade values. I’m a good customer of this dealer and they are one of the most trusted here on the forum.
Old 12 April 2020, 03:57 AM   #6
Jas14
"TRF" Member

Watch: Zenith El Primero
Agree, feel greys are riding out the storm and willing to hold on until those poor folks who have had to sell off there watches at low prices stop doing it. Am interested to see if they are giving lower values for trade in's though.
Old 12 April 2020, 04:48 AM   #7
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgrouch View Post
Asking prices are far removed from actual sale prices. What grays are offering to buy is a better gauge of actual price trend.

I tried to start an actual sales price report thread but it was immediately thread crapped into oblivion. It's a shame because it could have been so useful to dispel all this pricing speculation.

Exactly well framed! what I was trying to ask with my question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 April 2020, 04:50 AM   #8
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
Lol what are all these threads being made about no drops in prices when they clearly have - are you all undercover greys or being paid by them or something? Prices are clearly dropping for all the hot models in the last month

If a grey out there wants to pay me for posting questions I’m interested in then I’m all for it lol

Old 12 April 2020, 04:53 AM   #9
Matt_01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
If a grey out there wants to pay me for posting questions I’m interested in then I’m all for it lol

To be fair mate I’d love to know where I’m getting a Pepsi for £10,500! Or a Batman for £9000. I’d have another few Batmen at that price.

Not sure what the frenzy is with bogus falling prices. They have softened... but only very slightly.
Old 12 April 2020, 04:54 AM   #10
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Dropping big time, but wait another 3 weeks for the even steeper drop.
Old 12 April 2020, 05:11 AM   #11
Infusion1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgrouch View Post

That was a good thread you had started. Few folks will complain and have threads shutdown that discuss Grey pricing going down...
Old 12 April 2020, 05:35 AM   #12
Mervynilous
"TRF" Member

I think we'll have a good sense of what's going to happen by around the end of the month as earnings announcements are fully in swing and the durations of various labor impacts are clearer as well.

My personal guess is in line with WatchNutcase's.
Old 12 April 2020, 05:37 AM   #13
tng11
"TRF" Member

We really needed the hundredth thread on this... (face palm... oops wasn't supposed to touch my face)
Old 12 April 2020, 05:38 AM   #14
drgoro
"TRF" Member

Their prices vs actual sale price I assure is very different, so is their attitude toward counter offers. But from a business standpoint, they're being helped by the gov't PPP as a sole prop just like everyone else (if they have been reporting taxes). This 'pause' shouldn't worry them (the more established guys), now when things are geared back to full time work, and if consumers remain timid for months after the fact , that's when prices will dive.

Now private sellers and their effect on the supply may make the grey's pause and think about their ability to weather the storm.
Old 12 April 2020, 05:39 AM   #15
gold&black
"TRF" Member

Prices are dropping
Old 12 April 2020, 05:45 AM   #16
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

still over retail = rip off
Old 12 April 2020, 05:50 AM   #17
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
We really needed the hundredth thread on this... (face palm... oops wasn't supposed to touch my face)
Lol glad to fill a void - don't touch your face :)
Old 12 April 2020, 05:55 AM   #18
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Tend to agree that the ‘bigger’ Grey’s on here are not budging too much. Yet.....
Old 12 April 2020, 06:02 AM   #19
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Give it time OP. Let’s see what happens in the next few weeks.
Old 12 April 2020, 06:49 AM   #20
flal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Yes!
Old 12 April 2020, 06:56 AM   #21
calebb90
Banned

If the price isn’t what you want to pay, then don’t. Pretty simple.

Old 12 April 2020, 07:01 AM   #22
WhiteRhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I was shocked when a Hulk here had to dip below 13k to actually sell. That’s a sign for sure
Old 12 April 2020, 07:02 AM   #23
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
These threads are exhausting. All depends on the reference. The ‘hot’ hard to get models will plateau well above retail period. Some more “sought after” references will become more available let’s say....BLNRs, LVcs....etc.

Those wishful thinkers - or as I would say hope for grey dealers to be ‘forced’ to truly lower prices to where things were, say 2 years ago will remain disappointed, and still unable to try to capitalize off of a terrible time...and keep this ridiculous threads going.

If you think you’ll see Daytonas and BLROs for retail...think is all you’ll accomplish...

Don’t hold your breath waiting for “fire sales”.

Period.
Old 12 April 2020, 07:05 AM   #24
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
All depends on the reference. The ‘hot’ hard to get models will plateau well above retail period. Some more “sought after” references will become more available let’s say....BLNRs, LVcs....etc.

Those wishful thinkers - or as I would say hope for grey dealers to be ‘forced’ to truly lower prices to where things were, say 2 years ago will remain disappointed, and still unable to try to capitalize off of a terrible time...and keep this ridiculous threads going.

If you think you’ll see Daytonas and BLROs for retail...think is all you’ll accomplish...

Period.
I agree
Old 12 April 2020, 07:05 AM   #25
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Quote:
All depends on the reference. The ‘hot’ hard to get models will plateau well above retail period. Some more “sought after” references will become more available let’s say....BLNRs, LVcs....etc.

Period.
If we see Daytonas @ Retail or big drops we would already be F——-d
Old 12 April 2020, 07:07 AM   #26
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
If we see Daytonas @ Retail or big drops we would already be F——-d
Absolutely.
Old 12 April 2020, 07:16 AM   #27
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post

I’m sorry. This completely lacks any type of analytical rigor. If you just want to say...this is the high upper bound and this is where they are now- Ok. However, there are still examples of all of those above or very close to the upper bound you have referenced. What this discounts is age, condition, provenance. 19k for a 2016/2017 Stainless Daytona Black Dial has been possible for quite some time for example.
Old 12 April 2020, 07:31 AM   #28
Commonproject
Banned

Quote:
I’m sorry. This completely lacks any type of analytical rigor. If you just want to say...this is the high upper bound and this is where they are now- Ok. However, there are still examples of all of those above or very close to the upper bound you have referenced. What this discounts is age, condition, provenance. 19k for a 2016/2017 Stainless Daytona Black Dial has been possible for quite some time for example.
Those are what greys calls BNIB prices, what more “analytical rigor” do you want? There’s multiple threads we’ve had now tracking these prices, with real data so go and take a look for yourself.

Of course you can find listings near the high end, but the high end ask was never used to gauge market value - you look at the most common prices being listed and actually marked sold (probably for even less than the listing price). Let’s be honest ourselves here.
Old 12 April 2020, 07:42 AM   #29
Ensign
"TRF" Member

Large greys are trying to sustain prices by discounting with coupons and free shipping. Small independent dealers have dropped prices as seen on auction sites.

As overhead costs continue and buyers dry up, prices will drop.

Not many creditors will accept payment in Hulks and Batgirls.
Old 12 April 2020, 07:52 AM   #30
JK911
Banned

Watch: 116500LN Daytona
Quote:
These threads are exhausting. All depends on the reference. The ‘hot’ hard to get models will plateau well above retail period. Some more “sought after” references will become more available let’s say....BLNRs, LVcs....etc.

Period.
+2 I agree
Closed Thread