The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 May 2020, 01:52 PM   #1
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ll
16710 Y Ser

I'm looking at a16 710 with a Y serial number and although I've owned GMT masters before. I never do remember exactly how it works if it is originally with a Coke insert and it gets switched to a Pepsi insert is there any way Rolex will know , in fact is there any way that the serial number will show what the original insert was?

Thank you all very much for your advice on this watch and what your recommendations are
Old 11 May 2020, 03:43 PM   #2
vintagewatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sport 4digit ref#
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax21 View Post
is there any way that the serial number will show what the original insert was?

Thank you all very much for your advice on this watch and what your recommendations are
Yes, to Rolex the serial number would indicate the full model number when the GMT II 16710 was made:
16710A: Black/Red (Coke) insert
16710B: Blue/Red (Pepsi) insert
16710N: All Black insert

I don't think anyone outside of Rolex can determine original bezel insert color from the serial number, but if someone else knows feel free to pass it along.
vintagewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 04:00 PM   #3
ocN55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewatch View Post
Yes, to Rolex the serial number would indicate the full model number when the GMT II 16710 was made:

I don't think anyone outside of Rolex can determine original bezel insert color from the serial number, but if someone else knows feel free to pass it along.
Good info here.

FYI this only applies to non-punched papers. Meaning most (or all) non-US 16710 will not use this nomenclature and there is no way to tell what insert a watch was born with.
ocN55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 05:00 PM   #4
madmax21
"TRF" Member

The piece I'm buying we're looking at getting doesn't have a warranty card with it so I guess the only way to tell is to look at the model number and see if it's has a letter affiliated with it
Old 11 May 2020, 09:43 PM   #5
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
The letter will only be visible on US designated paperwork, it is not etched into the watch itself (if I’m not mistaken that is).
Old 12 May 2020, 12:21 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
The piece I'm buying we're looking at getting doesn't have a warranty card with it so I guess the only way to tell is to look at the model number and see if it's has a letter affiliated with it
No, there is no way to know based on the serial number.

It doesn't really matter, Rolex used to change the insert to any one you wanted for the 16710. Only the US releases noted the suffix, and only on the paperwork, never on the watch.

Only the 16760 GMT II is a single insert model, it only came in red/black.
Old 12 May 2020, 12:26 AM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55 View Post
Good info here.

FYI this only applies to non-punched papers. Meaning most (or all) non-US 16710 will not use this nomenclature and there is no way to tell what insert a watch was born with.
Sometime around 1998-99, the model style number, which indicates the bezel insert color, started appearing on the green hang tag on non USA GMTs.

A Y serial number would have the style number on the green hang tag indicating the bezel color. (This is explained further in my next post.)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 12:55 AM   #8
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewatch View Post

This response is somewhat confusing so let me clarify it. First, the serial number DOES NOT indicate the bezel insert color. From my past experiences, Rolex seems to have a data base that can determine what color bezel insert originally came on the watch based on just the serial number but to the average owner without this internal information from Rolex, you can not determine the bezel color by just the serial number.

Bezel insert colors can be identified beginning around 1998 on USA warranty papers by the style number found at the top of the warranty paper. On non USA watches with punched warranty papers, the style codes can be found on the green hang tag. The green hang tags are coded a little different between the USA and non USA watches, but, what is important to look for is the model type and the letter after the model type. As an example, if the green hang tag reads 16710B, it would have had a blue/red bezel insert, 16710N for a black insert and 16710A for a red/black insert. (On some hang tags, you will find an L preceding the bezel insert color. The insert color follows the L on these hang tags.)

If you have the original warranty paper in the USA and beginning around 1998, there is a style number on the paper indicating the bezel insert colors. The first few digits/letters indicated the model type and bezel insert color and the remaining numbers at the end of the style number indicated the bracelet type.

If your style number began with R16710A30, it came with the red/black insert
If your style number began with R16710B30, it came with the red/blue insert
If your style number began with R16710N30, it came with the black insert

From my research, 1998 ushers in the era with the specific A, B and N codes being used to identify bezel insert colors in the style number on USA warranty papers. Prior to 1998, all the style numbers read 16710A30, or 16750A30 or 16760A30 etc. etc.

Also, another important fact to remember is that the bezel insert could easily be changed by a dealer prior to a sale - therefore a watch that came coded for an "A" red/black insert could be sold new with a "B" red/blue insert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16750.w. 93150, warranty.JPG (157.1 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 16710.P serial. N code.jpg (225.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 16710.P.2 serial. BLRO.jpg (56.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg P serial.sm.jpg (150.5 KB, 105 views)

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 12 May 2020, 01:09 AM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
This response is somewhat confusing so let me clarify it. First, the serial number DOES NOT indicate the bezel insert color. From my past experiences, Rolex seems to have a data base that can determine what color bezel insert originally came on the watch based on just the serial number but to the average owner without this internal information from Rolex, you can not determine the bezel color by just the serial number.

Bezel insert colors can be identified beginning around 1998 on USA warranty papers by the style number found at the top of the warranty paper. On non USA watches with punched warranty papers, the style codes can be found on the green hang tag. The green hang tags are coded a little different between the USA and non USA watches, but, what is important to look for is the model type and the letter after the model type. As an example, if the green hang tag reads 16710B, it would have had a blue/red bezel insert, 16710N for a black insert and 16710A for a red/black insert. (On some hang tags, you will find an L preceding the bezel insert color. The insert color follows the L on these hang tags.)

If you have the original warranty paper in the USA and beginning around 1998, there is a style number on the paper indicating the bezel insert colors. The first few digits/letters indicated the model type and bezel insert color and the remaining numbers at the end of the style number indicated the bracelet type.

If your style number began with R16710A30, it came with the red/black insert
If your style number began with R16710B30, it came with the red/blue insert
If your style number began with R16710N30, it came with the black insert

From my research, 1998 ushers in the era with the specific A, B and N codes being used to identify bezel insert colors in the style number on USA warranty papers. Prior to 1998, all the style numbers read 16710A30, or 16750A30 or 16760A30 etc. etc.

Also, another important fact to remember is that the bezel insert could easily be changed by a dealer prior to a sale - therefore a watch that came coded for an "A" red/black insert could be sold new with a "B" red/blue insert.
Great info here. Never knew that about the green hang tags. Thanks, JP!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 05:10 AM   #10
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Thats great info thank you
Old 12 May 2020, 01:17 PM   #11
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
_