The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 30 September 2017, 11:18 AM   #31
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Thank you all for some incredible answers. They have all been added to my list. PP would be my top of the list as certain models could be good investments. I'll keep you posted.
If investment/value retention is one criteria then it's PP, no contest, any day of the week. Most of the other pieces mentioned here, including my favourite, the Lange 1 Tourbillon Perpetual, will take a huge hit on resale (and no offense to you Arnaud, that KV is very beautiful, but the hit to the wallet on resale would have me stay far away.)

That said, these PP complications are on "application", meaning that they have to be vetted by PP and then some time waiting. If they don't already own a number of PPs, I would hazard a guess that being approved for one of these pieces is low.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 01:02 PM   #32
osamu
"TRF" Member

I have my dream watches, but actually buying one is probably a bit different from just dreaming about it.

Like I always thought in that price range, I would want something like the ALS Zeitwerk Striking Time, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra costs over a normal Zeitwerk.

A perpetual calendar sounds interesting, but I just feel like I'd be so scared of letting in run down, it might ruin the experience for me.

I think I might just try and get a 40th anniversary Nautilus 5976 and be happy.
osamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 02:49 PM   #33
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post

(and no offense to you Arnaud, that KV is very beautiful, but the hit to the wallet on resale would have me stay far away.)
None taken, I knew when getting it that if I get it this is one piece I will definitely need to never sell, fortunately I am doing good and have many things I could sell if ever I was in need of money, but this one isn't going anywhere for sure, so it's clearly not an investment to hold money and even less to make money, after having 4 watches which do extremely well on resale, would make money on 3 and be even on one, I wanted a passion piece and this was the one for me, I love watches and have my perfect 5 pieces, well at least for me, and have no intention of selling either of them.

And of course I agree if value retention is obligatory go PP, if exclusivity and under the radar are, then R Smith or Voutilainen
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 03:06 PM   #34
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
If investment/value retention is one criteria then it's PP, no contest, any day of the week. Most of the other pieces mentioned here, including my favourite, the Lange 1 Tourbillon Perpetual, will take a huge hit on resale (and no offense to you Arnaud, that KV is very beautiful, but the hit to the wallet on resale would have me stay far away.)

That said, these PP complications are on "application", meaning that they have to be vetted by PP and then some time waiting. If they don't already own a number of PPs, I would hazard a guess that being approved for one of these pieces is low.
When you're spending 400 grand lists and relationships are irrelevant. These watches are available.
Old 30 September 2017, 03:34 PM   #35
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I feel like personality/age/daily attire will define this purchase.

If the buyer is on the younger side and not wearing suits, I could see RM being a great acquisition. If not, I suspect this will end up being a nice PP purchase for much less than 300 EUR.
Old 30 September 2017, 04:07 PM   #36
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
Patek 5078P.
Not unusual that the first answer is the best answer.

Just sayin

Old 30 September 2017, 04:36 PM   #37
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Not unusual that the first answer is the best answer.

Just sayin

Yes the 5078P is a great watch and under the radar for sure, but for 300k I think I would do things differently, if you have 300k to spend and are not a compulsive flipper like many here, I would definitely go for a bespoke piece, having a watch that no one in the world had or will have is really a special feeling, and as much as resale in Roger Smith or Voutilainen watches might give you a bath, who knows what the future holds flr those pieces, not that I want to sell mine one day, Inwant my son to have it when I am gone, but who knows in 20-30 years...
Old 30 September 2017, 04:55 PM   #38
oloughlin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega SMP
Patek. RM is anything but under the radar.
oloughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2017, 10:44 AM   #39
j0oftheworld
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
The Patek 5078P is pretty stealth.. 👌
j0oftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 07:49 PM   #40
osamu
"TRF" Member

maybe if you can get your hands on one: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/in...seconds-vision

quite a bit under the radar compared to most GF.
osamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 12:41 AM   #41
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Yes the 5078P is a great watch and under the radar for sure, but for 300k I think I would do things differently, if you have 300k to spend and are not a compulsive flipper like many here, I would definitely go for a bespoke piece, having a watch that no one in the world had or will have is really a special feeling, and as much as resale in Roger Smith or Voutilainen watches might give you a bath, who knows what the future holds flr those pieces, not that I want to sell mine one day, Inwant my son to have it when I am gone, but who knows in 20-30 years...
I hear you arnaud. Of course brand always comes into play but I honestly think the 5078 stands on its own quite well particularly with the black dial.

I was trying to find out what a KV MR would cost and came across this. Was this inspiration for your hunter caseback?

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/voutilai...iece-unique-2/
Old 5 October 2017, 01:12 AM   #42
Star Ferry
Banned

Personally, I think going into watches (for the first time) with the intention to spend that much is a recipe for disappointment

Start with parameters like water resistance, brand, etc. and work from there. Maybe someone is dead set on spending 300K but the best watch for their lifestyle is a 5711 they could source for under 35K

My dad used to collect Patek and now only has a GMTII LN and a fitbit. They say life is the toughest teacher, right?
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 01:14 AM   #43
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I hear you arnaud. Of course brand always comes into play but I honestly think the 5078 stands on its own quite well particularly with the black dial.

I was trying to find out what a KV MR would cost and came across this. Was this inspiration for your hunter caseback?

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/voutilai...iece-unique-2/
Yes this one and the case of the MP7, about the price not sure, I would imagine around 250k but just a wild guess, might be more around 300-350k, I can ask him if you want to buy one
Old 5 October 2017, 01:22 AM   #44
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Personally, I think going into watches (for the first time) with the intention to spend that much is a recipe for disappointment

Start with parameters like water resistance, brand, etc. and work from there. Maybe someone is dead set on spending 300K but the best watch for their lifestyle is a 5711 they could source for under 35K

My dad used to collect Patek and now only has a GMTII LN and a fitbit. They say life is the toughest teacher, right?
For the first time? Hard to imagine someone spending so much on their first high end watch, though if the person was into watches I think he wouldn't need help choosing one, well maybe ask between different models, but if it is the case yes he should start by getting a few different ones but can't imagine 300k as a first high end watch, I used to think my price limit was 5k for watches, boy did that change, my "cheapest" is the 5711, at the same time I don't care about cars, love my bike but can't imagine making a custom one for 40-50k, so watches it was, but even 5 is a little much for me, will probably go down to 4 some day...
Old 5 October 2017, 02:12 AM   #45
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
For the first time? Hard to imagine someone spending so much on their first high end watch, though if the person was into watches I think he wouldn't need help choosing one, well maybe ask between different models, but if it is the case yes he should start by getting a few different ones but can't imagine 300k as a first high end watch, I used to think my price limit was 5k for watches, boy did that change, my "cheapest" is the 5711, at the same time I don't care about cars, love my bike but can't imagine making a custom one for 40-50k, so watches it was, but even 5 is a little much for me, will probably go down to 4 some day...
My friend had an issue where he was looking for reasons to spend. Totally self made guy. Early 30s, frugal lifestyle, humble beginnings, tens of millions in the bank.

He was texting me all these complicated RM and Patek watches, agonizing for months. Finally, I sent him some pictures of simple good watches like SubC, GMTIIc, AP Diver, Aquanaut, Nautilus, etc.

He grabbed a BNIB blue dial 5711 at a premium and never looked back. One watch guy. Last 3 times I saw him, he paid the bill to make up for all the money I saved him
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 02:52 AM   #46
KarlS
Banned

Personally I would just sell him a G shock and tell him it cost £300 000- he wouldn't know or care!!!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 02:54 AM   #47
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
For £300k GBP I would go British. Greubel Forsey.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/greubelfo...-id5153272.htm
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 02:55 AM   #48
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
My friend had an issue where he was looking for reasons to spend. Totally self made guy. Early 30s, frugal lifestyle, humble beginnings, tens of millions in the bank.

He was texting me all these complicated RM and Patek watches, agonizing for months. Finally, I sent him some pictures of simple good watches like SubC, GMTIIc, AP Diver, Aquanaut, Nautilus, etc.

He grabbed a BNIB blue dial 5711 at a premium and never looked back. One watch guy. Last 3 times I saw him, he paid the bill to make up for all the money I saved him
yeah of course I love watches but didn't decide in one day to get a KV, had maybe 15 other "high end" watches before that, from Omega to KV, I am clearly not a one watch guy, but 4 would be perfect, will probably sell the 5711 at some point and keep the 4 others which are different enough to please me, love all 4, but that's my limit, if I didn't think the prices were too high for what they are would get me the RM 055 all grey, that would make 5, but can't get myself to think they are worth their price, and in any case my watch funds are empty...