The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 15 August 2021, 01:29 PM   #1
shinne
"TRF" Member

First time looking into Patek, would like some advice on models.

I never though I would be in a position to get a watch cost as much most people's cars but I having been lucky with getting the hot pieces I wanted to see if I could move my way up to Patek. Story time ahead.

Right now I have all Rolex watches (Hulk,Pepsi, 116710LN) so I'm probably going have to do a cash + trade (Hulk). I was looking for a Daytona to complete my collection but I really doubt I could get one so I've been eyeing a Patek.

I went to the Patek AD (no relationship) and the sales person was kind of cold at first but he could see that I appreciate watches. I mentioned something about his vintage submariner (beautiful piece) and he started opening up a bit more. He showed me a 5524G, which I really like since I love GMT and Pilot watches. It's a bit of a reach for me but I really did like it. He showed me some other pieces which were cool but I think the 5525G was the one I loved the most.

He mentioned they had a preowned 5525G also and it was a good 7k cheaper. Also showed me some other crazy pieces (GMT Master II with Ruby and Sapphire bezel).

It was a nice experience and I told the sales person I'd have to think about it because it is a lot of money for me and he told me not to worry and to come by even if I don't plan to buy anything just to talk about watches.

So here's my dilemma. I know watches shouldn't be an investment but I got to where I am because I made smart moves, buying watches isn't any different. Are there any other models that I should be looking at that won't take such a huge hit after buying? Suggestions of models to look at would be greatly helpful.

I know this probably won't get me a Nautilus but I'd like to think it would some what help me get on a list. Would buying the preowned 5525G get me towards that or would I have to buy the new one?

Pictures of the watches I got to look at and the preowned Rolex that I though I would never see in real life.

shinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 04:51 PM   #2
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinne View Post
I never though I would be in a position to get a watch cost as much most people's cars but I having been lucky with getting the hot pieces I wanted to see if I could move my way up to Patek. Story time ahead.

Right now I have all Rolex watches (Hulk,Pepsi, 116710LN) so I'm probably going have to do a cash + trade (Hulk). I was looking for a Daytona to complete my collection but I really doubt I could get one so I've been eyeing a Patek.

I went to the Patek AD (no relationship) and the sales person was kind of cold at first but he could see that I appreciate watches. I mentioned something about his vintage submariner (beautiful piece) and he started opening up a bit more. He showed me a 5524G, which I really like since I love GMT and Pilot watches. It's a bit of a reach for me but I really did like it. He showed me some other pieces which were cool but I think the 5525G was the one I loved the most.

He mentioned they had a preowned 5525G also and it was a good 7k cheaper. Also showed me some other crazy pieces (GMT Master II with Ruby and Sapphire bezel).

It was a nice experience and I told the sales person I'd have to think about it because it is a lot of money for me and he told me not to worry and to come by even if I don't plan to buy anything just to talk about watches.

So here's my dilemma. I know watches shouldn't be an investment but I got to where I am because I made smart moves, buying watches isn't any different. Are there any other models that I should be looking at that won't take such a huge hit after buying? Suggestions of models to look at would be greatly helpful.

I know this probably won't get me a Nautilus but I'd like to think it would some what help me get on a list. Would buying the preowned 5525G get me towards that or would I have to buy the new one?

Pictures of the watches I got to look at and the preowned Rolex that I though I would never see in real life.

There is 5525G in current Patek catalogue.
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 10:42 PM   #3
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I would put a nautilus out of your mind. Don’t think any mortal can get one at msrp now. My thoughts on the 5524g is it’s fantastic. I understand what you said about making smart moves, but where is there to go after Patek. I don’t understand why that model isn’t more sought after. Makes no sense to me.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 11:01 PM   #4
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I assume you mean 5524g…. Nice watch , unlikely to hold/appreciate value like the PP nautilus/aquanaut lines , and I don’t think buying it pre owned will get you very far in your relationship w PP, but perhaps further than not buying one at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 10:55 AM   #5
jerrym
"TRF" Member

Ahh.. you’re at Kern’s.. lol
jerrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 11:26 AM   #6
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Pre-owned 5524G should be a lot less than the price that you mention. If you look at the secondary market price for BNIB 5524 is around $45k.

WatchRecon is the good website for secondary market, you can get the idea of the market price.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote