The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 14 November 2023, 05:22 AM   #1
cjmaud
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15510SST
Smoked taupe ROO or Panda Daytona?

I am debating between the smoked taupe royal oak offshore chronograph or a 116500ln white dial Rolex Daytona for my next watch purchase. I currently have a 15510st royal oak with black dial, black sub date, Starbucks sub, and ceramic Pepsi. Does anyone own both, and if so, what gets more wrist time?
cjmaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 05:31 AM   #2
raclaims
"TRF" Member

White dial Daytonas are absolutely terrific but end of the day AP is a less common and higher standard of watch

To me it would come down to which you’d wear more
The Rolex is far more versatile
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 05:40 AM   #3
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
Just buy what you really enjoy everyday
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 06:59 AM   #4
samarth1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VC Cornes de Vache
The Smoke Taupe ROO has one of the most distinctive and striking dials in watchmaking IMO, so that would get my vote. I would also not compare it to the Daytona personally, as they're really in different leagues (price wise and quality). Would highly recommend you to try one on at an AP House or Boutique near you.
samarth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 07:08 AM   #5
TheHolyLuck
"TRF" Member

Try them both on your wrist and you will know.
Personally I would go ROO because I tried it and I loved it on my wrist ;)
TheHolyLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 07:25 AM   #6
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I find this a hard comparison as they are both different watches entirely. The only similarity is that they are chrono’s.

The 116500 to me is the ultimate watch in many ways. When it took over from the 116520 it just kind of completed it. Perfect watch almost . . . . Though it’s only 40mm and being a fixed bezel it wears more like a 39mm. Bizarrely 1mm makes a big difference. It’s 5% if you break it down. If they made this as a 42mm it would be perfect.

The taupe ROO is in my view as good an offshore as there is. The smoked dial is fantastic and having the easy change straps just complement it. However it wears very big after you’ve put on the Daytona.

You need to just decide what your prefer and not compare them as they are totally different. I’ve owned the 116500 since it came out in 2016 and the taupe for 2 1/2 years so know them both very well.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 08:42 AM   #7
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Most important factor is price. At the gray market, ROO is a far better value since its trading below retail. At retail price, Daytona wins everyday
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 09:34 AM   #8
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Hard choice. Both are great. You really need to try them on as they are vastly different (particularly in size).
Old 14 November 2023, 09:54 AM   #9
messikens
"TRF" Member

ROO taupe all day every day!!

More stealthy and more special at the same time. Great strap change system which changes the look completely on about 10s.

One of the most beautiful faces inmy opinion.

Note : they wear VERY different in size, gonna have to have the right wrist for the ROO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
messikens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 11:17 AM   #10
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
Most important factor is price. At the gray market, ROO is a far better value since its trading below retail. At retail price, Daytona wins everyday
That seems to be the important question. I could see getting the Daytona or AP at retail, or the AP at grey prices (a bit below retail), but there's no way I would pay grey prices for the Daytona.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 03:41 PM   #11
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I think it comes down to a couple of things. Wrist size and price. ROO's wear pretty big. If you have the wrist to pull it off, then by all means it's a go. AP is on a different level versus Rolex. If your wrist is not big enough, you might find yourself wearing it less and less. The Daytona would be in your wheelhouse size wise as you already have a Pepsi and two Subs.

If you are going grey, I would pick the ROO as it's a much better value. The Daytona is nice, but it's not a $30k watch IMO. If going the boutique/AD route, I would let wrist size and comfort on the wrist dictate my decision.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 04:10 PM   #12
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

I would buy the daytona - more practical and iconic then the AP.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 06:43 PM   #13
S1mplee
"TRF" Member

Setting price aside, I have both and wear the taupe more.
S1mplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 07:27 PM   #14
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1mplee View Post
Setting price aside, I have both and wear the taupe more.
Same here. I’ve handed my white 116500ln to my wife, for good.

I’ve been infatuated with the 43mm taupe since it came out, and is easily my most worn watch over the last year. I can wax lyrical about the 43mm taupe all day.

Having said that, I can totally imagine someone else going for the Daytona. It’s handsome, a timeless classic; king of Rolex’s steel.
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 01:06 AM   #15
CactusTreeFiddy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyness87 View Post
Same here. I’ve handed my white 116500ln to my wife, for good.

I’ve been infatuated with the 43mm taupe since it came out, and is easily my most worn watch over the last year. I can wax lyrical about the 43mm taupe all day.

Having said that, I can totally imagine someone else going for the Daytona. It’s handsome, a timeless classic; king of Rolex’s steel.
please do, I'm interested
CactusTreeFiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 03:12 AM   #16
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
I find this a hard comparison as they are both different watches entirely. The only similarity is that they are chrono’s.

The 116500 to me is the ultimate watch in many ways. When it took over from the 116520 it just kind of completed it. Perfect watch almost . . . . Though it’s only 40mm and being a fixed bezel it wears more like a 39mm. Bizarrely 1mm makes a big difference. It’s 5% if you break it down. If they made this as a 42mm it would be perfect.

The taupe ROO is in my view as good an offshore as there is. The smoked dial is fantastic and having the easy change straps just complement it. However it wears very big after you’ve put on the Daytona.

You need to just decide what your prefer and not compare them as they are totally different. I’ve owned the 116500 since it came out in 2016 and the taupe for 2 1/2 years so know them both very well.

Following the above ^^^ as I think they are so different in size, it makes it hard to compare.

Not good photos at all (my wife normally takes mine as I’m incapable apparently )but I’ve taken a quick couple of shots to compare the size difference for reference:

Old 15 November 2023, 07:22 AM   #17
rcwatchcollector
Banned

AP is in another level. Panda is great. But not the same feeling on the wrist.

rcwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 11:39 AM   #18
sj24k
"TRF" Member

@vivalas thanks tor the side by side shot. I’ve been seeking shots of the 43 ROO next to assorted Rolex watches since I’m nowhere near an AP dealer. Now looking for one next to a Sky Dweller ;)

sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 03:56 PM   #19
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusTreeFiddy View Post
please do, I'm interested
Candidly, it wasn't love at first sight for me with regards to the offshore. I've since come to be drawn to offshore line due to its 'beastly' looking nature with fine finishing. To me, it represents a testerone-soaked kind of manliness that I grew up with in the 90s; think fight club, rambo, terminator etc. Nothing pretty, just sweat and dirt. And that appeals to me despite me not being anything close to that.

The Taupe is just aesthetically perfect. The smokey undertones, the dirty green color, the black ceramic, the incredible case design that is able to wrap around my tiny wrist and not look ridiculous. In addition, I think it looks great with my boring office attire (white shirt, dark pants).

Believe I said this before, if they ever made a modern day Predator film and a young Arnold Schwarzenegger, the taupe 43mm offshore would be prefect watch around Dutch's wrist.
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 01:19 AM   #20
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj24k View Post
@vivalas thanks tor the side by side shot. I’ve been seeking shots of the 43 ROO next to assorted Rolex watches since I’m nowhere near an AP dealer. Now looking for one next to a Sky Dweller ;)
Ask and ye shall get

Just please don’t say next week you’ve brought a Breitling
Old 16 November 2023, 01:49 AM   #21
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyness87 View Post
Candidly, it wasn't love at first sight for me with regards to the offshore. I've since come to be drawn to offshore line due to its 'beastly' looking nature with fine finishing. To me, it represents a testerone-soaked kind of manliness that I grew up with in the 90s; think fight club, rambo, terminator etc. Nothing pretty, just sweat and dirt. And that appeals to me despite me not being anything close to that.

The Taupe is just aesthetically perfect. The smokey undertones, the dirty green color, the black ceramic, the incredible case design that is able to wrap around my tiny wrist and not look ridiculous. In addition, I think it looks great with my boring office attire (white shirt, dark pants).

Believe I said this before, if they ever made a modern day Predator film and a young Arnold Schwarzenegger, the taupe 43mm offshore would be prefect watch around Dutch's wrist.

Amen - lock thread
messikens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 06:15 AM   #22
cjmaud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ask and ye shall get

Sounds like the ROO Smoked Taupe, bought at retail, is generally the recommendation over buying a Panda Daytona in the grey market. Would you recommend flipping the Pepsi to afford both the ROO and Daytona? I feel the two subs and Pepsi are all very similar looking/feeling watches, and ever since I got the Royal Oak (a week ago), the Rolex's feel inferior. I also toyed with flipping the Pepsi for a white dial 15300St to scratch the white dial itch, but perhaps that is too redundant with the black dial. The two subs are watches purchased on special occasions, so will be staying in the collection forever. VC Overseas 4500V in blue or 7900V in black are also in the running, but i've never seen them in person. If money weren't an issue, i'd have them all!
Old 16 November 2023, 06:56 AM   #23
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmaud View Post
Sounds like the ROO Smoked Taupe, bought at retail, is generally the recommendation over buying a Panda Daytona in the grey market. Would you recommend flipping the Pepsi to afford both the ROO and Daytona? I feel the two subs and Pepsi are all very similar looking/feeling watches, and ever since I got the Royal Oak (a week ago), the Rolex's feel inferior. I also toyed with flipping the Pepsi for a white dial 15300St to scratch the white dial itch, but perhaps that is too redundant with the black dial. The two subs are watches purchased on special occasions, so will be staying in the collection forever. VC Overseas 4500V in blue or 7900V in black are also in the running, but i've never seen them in person. If money weren't an issue, i'd have them all!
This is quite bizarre with every watch you mention, as I also have the Pepsi and I ‘did’ own the overseas 4500V in blue (see below). It’s all down to personal choice and anything I or anyone says is purely opinion. At the end of the day it’s what you like. For me the overseas should be the ultimate watch - blue dial, great finishing, amazing option with 3 straps and really there’s not much need to own any other watch . . . . Yet I sold mine and have never given it a second thought. Just didn’t do it for me. Whereas I wouldn’t sell my Pepsi. It doesn’t have the style or sophistication of a VC or an AP, but it rocks. For the money it’s a great watch. The watch that actually got me into this hobby in 2002 was the white dial Daytona. Took me 11 years to get one at retail and then another 3 years to get the 116500, however nowadays I rarely wear it as it feels too small. I’d also never pay grey prices for it.

To me AP is a notch above everyone, but you need to buy what suits you, your budget, your current collection and your wrist size.

Old 16 November 2023, 09:23 AM   #24
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwatchcollector View Post
AP is in another level. Panda is great. But not the same feeling on the wrist.

Agreed.

Apples and Oranges watches. But any decent collection requires both…..hope that helps?
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 10:31 AM   #25
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is quite bizarre with every watch you mention, as I also have the Pepsi and I ‘did’ own the overseas 4500V in blue (see below). It’s all down to personal choice and anything I or anyone says is purely opinion. At the end of the day it’s what you like. For me the overseas should be the ultimate watch - blue dial, great finishing, amazing option with 3 straps and really there’s not much need to own any other watch . . . . Yet I sold mine and have never given it a second thought. Just didn’t do it for me. Whereas I wouldn’t sell my Pepsi. It doesn’t have the style or sophistication of a VC or an AP, but it rocks. For the money it’s a great watch. The watch that actually got me into this hobby in 2002 was the white dial Daytona. Took me 11 years to get one at retail and then another 3 years to get the 116500, however nowadays I rarely wear it as it feels too small. I’d also never pay grey prices for it.

To me AP is a notch above everyone, but you need to buy what suits you, your budget, your current collection and your wrist size.

Great points, Stephen, nicely put.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2023, 02:15 AM   #26
cjmaud
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Funny...great taste! Out of curiosity, from all the watches that you have shared and not shared, what is your favorite, and most worn?
Old 17 November 2023, 06:22 AM   #27
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmaud View Post
Funny...great taste! Out of curiosity, from all the watches that you have shared and not shared, what is your favorite, and most worn?
Well I’ve owned all 3 of the so called holy trinity in blue with the VC and Nautilus, but really hard to beat this one:

Old 17 November 2023, 06:43 AM   #28
cjmaud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I’ve owned all 3 of the so called holy trinity in blue with the VC and Nautilus, but really hard to beat this one:

Great choice! I haven’t gone down the blue path yet, but loving the contrast of the black dial so far! Was really torn between black silver and grey initially
Old 17 November 2023, 03:02 PM   #29
sj24k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ask and ye shall get

Thanks so much!

sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2023, 11:13 PM   #30
S1mplee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Listen to this guy right here, he has pretty much the same views I do. I actually probably wear my blro the most as it is my travel companion when overseas.
S1mplee is offline   Reply With Quote