The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 16 August 2011, 01:11 PM   #31
rolexcd

Watch: Daytona SS Black D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
If I were you, I'd wait till Panerai have it settled. If it cannot be fixed, you can ask for reimbursement. Selling now is definitely a bad move.

take care
I agree if a reimbursement will actually become a reality. Has such really happened before in their history?

Just wondering on what will happen to the 386 and 375 which I believe would have been made, at least, up to 50% of their proposed numbers.
rolexcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2011, 01:24 PM   #32
leeye
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many......
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanHong View Post
I don't own a panerai, but I am considering the 312 or 183. I have heard quite a few horror stories in regards to panerai's quality/after sale service, and from what I have read in the past couple of days now I am really thinking twice about buying a Pam.
The basic models with the stainless steel case and standard movements are proven watches. So if anything your choice of the 183 or 287 would be alright.
Radiomir - PAM 410
leeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2011, 01:32 PM   #33
leeye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexcd View Post
I agree if a reimbursement will actually become a reality. Has such really happened before in their history?

Just wondering on what will happen to the 386 and 375 which I believe would have been made, at least, up to 50% of their proposed numbers.
I highly doubt there will be any recall as this would be a PR disaster for OP. They may ask 339 owners to send in their watches for inspection and maybe replace the back case with a PVD steel back case.

If Panerai does stop the 339 production abruptly, then it may be an indirect admission that there is a quality problem.

Still I do think Aluminum is not the ideal base material for a case or caseback. Once corrosion of the base aluminum sets in, it is difficult to stop, especially since there is an external "tough" composite coating layer over it.

With the reported issues on the composite cases, prices for the other 2011 new release will just go up. Watch out for the PAM 372 and 382 Bronzo.
Radiomir - PAM 410
Old 16 August 2011, 02:40 PM   #34
rolexcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeye View Post
I highly doubt there will be any recall as this would be a PR disaster for OP. They may ask 339 owners to send in their watches for inspection and maybe replace the back case with a PVD steel back case.

If Panerai does stop the 339 production abruptly, then it may be an admission that there is a quality problem.

Still I do think Aluminum is not the ideal base material for a case. Once corrosion of the base aluminum starts, it is difficult to stop, especially since there is an external "tough" composite coating layer over it.

With the reported issues on the composite cases, prices for the other 2011 new release will just go up. Watch out for the PAM 372 and 382 Bronzo.

Oh no, a black PVD back case together with the brownish case will give a very ugly look. I don't think any existing owners would like to see this combination.

Also, could they guarantee that the effect will definitely not spread to the actual case itself. As I can see from some photos, the whitening effect (e.g. corrosion in fact) has been spreading to some portion of the case.

May be, they could update their web-site saying this issue is intended one as in the case of their newly released copper material (i.e. PAM 382) therefore can give each owners of their 339s a unique look over the time.
Old 16 August 2011, 08:42 PM   #35
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeye View Post

If Panerai does stop the 339 production abruptly, then it may be an indirect admission that there is a quality problem.

Still I do think Aluminum is not the ideal base material for a case or caseback. Once corrosion of the base aluminum sets in, it is difficult to stop, especially since there is an external "tough" composite coating layer over it.

Can t agree
it would be very brave if they admit tjar they were wrong and made a misrake. Maybe composite isn't afterall a good material.

Better to stop the whole thing and don't make the new composite watches.

Everybody makes mistakes.

The 339 might be a watch with such a mistake. Very collectible in this case.
But imo much better than making others which will have similar problems.

In fact I would stop the 339 production right now!
Old 16 August 2011, 09:38 PM   #36
Fearsome Puppy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
I just picked up on this thread, Anthony - sorry to hear of the issues, wish my post could have been one more congratulatory in nature as the 339 is a really spectacular watch. Hope you have this all resolved soon...
Old 17 August 2011, 01:28 AM   #37
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
Isnt the aluminium coated though with this composite material? How did the sweats seep in? I thought it would make it airtight coating..

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2011, 01:51 AM   #38
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

Anthony, I too wish for some resolution and answers from Panerai.
I hope it all works out for you on that beauty of a piece!
Old 17 August 2011, 04:11 AM   #39
leeye
"TRF" Member

at this moment we can only speculate how OP will react to this issue. let's wait and see when the Europe summer holidays are over.
Radiomir - PAM 410
Old 17 August 2011, 10:23 PM   #40
Chaos
"TRF" Member

Incredibly, the post at P.com got locked.

So, it's indeed strange that people cannot express freely their problems and frustrations, since the forum would be intended to benefit the community, not the brand.

As some use to say, it's "much more than a watch".
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2011, 11:19 PM   #41
leeye
"TRF" Member

so much for freedom of speech but it ain't gonna get locked here right? and the issue don't go away either.
Radiomir - PAM 410
Old 18 August 2011, 12:08 AM   #42
rolexcd

Thanks for all the kind advice and thanks to TRF with freedom for us to discuss on this issue.

The other forum seems like is a semi-official one. Only good news and bad but true comments would not be allowed?
Old 18 August 2011, 12:28 AM   #43
leeye
"TRF" Member

Anthony, we await your feedback from Panerai.
Radiomir - PAM 410
Old 18 August 2011, 01:25 AM   #44
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexcd View Post
The other forum seems like is a semi-official one. Only good news and bad but true comments would not be allowed?
ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding,
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2011, 08:02 PM   #45
RanHong
"TRF" Member

Check this out: The official info that AD's receive on use of alcohol on the 339:
http://panerai.watchprosite.com/show...-732003/s--34/
RanHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2011, 08:57 PM   #46
leeye
"TRF" Member

thanks for the info. looks like the whitening effect is confirmed irregardless of contact with alcohol or sweat.

reposting the pics.

Radiomir - PAM 410
Old 21 August 2011, 06:16 AM   #47
Chaos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanHong View Post
Check this out: The official info that AD's receive on use of alcohol on the 339:
http://panerai.watchprosite.com/show...-732003/s--34/
Jesus Christ!

But....I am not 100% sure it would be a REAL instruction sheet -- if it turned out to be faked, let's not be fooled

is it possible to confirm with any A/D this, unoficially of course?

This "before" and "after" pictures are quite strange on one instruction sheet like that.
Old 26 August 2011, 02:50 AM   #48
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
So any confirmation on this?

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2011, 03:39 AM   #49
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Jesus Christ!

But....I am not 100% sure it would be a REAL instruction sheet -- if it turned out to be faked, let's not be fooled

is it possible to confirm with any A/D this, unoficially of course?

This "before" and "after" pictures are quite strange on one instruction sheet like that.

I'm 100% sure
I know this picture / photo
It was posted on thepurists and the person who took it at the AD is my best friend
Believe me, it is 100% genuine
Old 26 August 2011, 04:08 AM   #50
chazha
"TRF" Member

Watch: mickey watch
another big joke from Panerai. thanks for bringing this thread about and let ppl be aware of the quality of their failure :)

now I have no idea whats the MSRP of 339 but I can imagine its around 10k or more? A watch in this price league with a case that chunks falling apart from it.. LOL.

The quality controller guys in R&D department of Panerai should get the axe. Am I being to rough?
Old 26 August 2011, 04:48 AM   #51
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazha View Post
another big joke from Panerai. thanks for bringing this thread about and let ppl be aware of the quality of their failure :)

now I have no idea whats the MSRP of 339 but I can imagine its around 10k or more? A watch in this price league with a case that chunks falling apart from it.. LOL.

The quality controller guys in R&D department of Panerai should get the axe. Am I being to rough?
cannot agree here, their quality overall is VERY good
Old 26 August 2011, 05:07 AM   #52
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It's happened to the best of 'em. Can you say Chevy NOVA?!?!?! That went over wonderfully in Central and South America....
Old 26 August 2011, 09:59 AM   #53
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
The funny part of this fiasco is the head of Panerai went on record a few years ago talking about all sorts of research into new materials to make something more durable than PVD/DLC.

Ironic that the original coating is still the least problematic (and arguably the most desirable).

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2011, 10:18 AM   #54
chazha
"TRF" Member

Watch: mickey watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
cannot agree here, their quality overall is VERY good
P9000 movement is also a flawless creation.. or maybe not. A watch on this kind of price level should NOT come with a case with this quality. Panerai would never ever come close to Rolex in regards to durability and quality.i wouldnt even rate Panerai got a good overall quality but somehow people accept their failure and thats how they get away.
Old 26 August 2011, 10:24 AM   #55
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
.i wouldnt even rate Panerai got a good overall quality but somehow people accept their failure and thats how they get away.
And you say that why?

There are issues with ANY product--period. As with anything, once a fault comes up, it's the first bandwagon people jump on--oh that must be bad. Well, I see 'issues' with Rolex watches if you read that forum (or any brand for that matter).

Anyway my .02.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2011, 10:39 AM   #56
rolexcd

I spoke with a senior sales person of Rolex China recently during a lunch meeting. He is also aware of the case issue of PAM 339. He mentioned that any new materials / tech of Rolex would need to go through at least 5 - 10 years of "informal" and "formal" testing before they would release them into the market. In the case of their Parachrom Hairspring, they put it into the watches without making any formal announcements and the material was accientally discovered by someone who opened a watch which forced them to make the material public.

I have re-confirmed with a few owners of 339 in Hong Kong and they all have the whitening case back issue. One of them knocked his watch against the wall and he now has a small clip on the bezel which shows the aluminium material under-neath. I am not saying that the material is not hard but it is not really as much as they indicate in their web-site.

Overall, my conclusion is that I will probably not go for another composite one in the future. For steel and other metals, you can somehow polished the watch due to any mis-use but you cannot do the same to a composite one. That is the fact.
Old 26 August 2011, 12:26 PM   #57
agreenspan
"TRF" Member

Hmmmm. Some people do sweat alcohol ;-)
agreenspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2011, 12:35 PM   #58
rolexcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreenspan View Post
Hmmmm. Some people do sweat alcohol ;-)
I agree which I recall that I put on the 339 after a few nights out therefore the whitening effect could be blamed by the possibility that my sweat may still contain a certain level of alcohol even after a few hours of sleep.

I cannot imagine on the addition that they may have to put into the warranty booklet for now on for composite models:- "warranty will not cover damage / dis-colouring to the case due to excessive level of alcohol within body sweat".
Old 26 August 2011, 12:36 PM   #59
leeye
"TRF" Member

at the end of the day we can only conclude Panerai not doing enough groundwork and testing prior to the sudden launch of this "composite" watches. the term "composite" is thus very misleading since it is a surface coating over the aluminum and basically leaves the aluminum metal untouched and prone to corrosion.
Radiomir - PAM 410
Old 26 August 2011, 01:13 PM   #60
Chaos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
I'm 100% sure
I know this picture / photo
It was posted on thepurists and the person who took it at the AD is my best friend
Believe me, it is 100% genuine

I'm perplexed, chocked. It's hard to believe such instruction sheet is real. But as you guarantee someone reliable took that pic....OMG.

How could it still not posted on P.com so far??...