The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 August 2021, 03:41 AM   #1
avicenna
"TRF" Member

Yacht Master water resistence

Can someone explain to me how this watch is only 100m water resistant?

It has the same Triplock crown as the sub, does it not?

The caseback seems similar to the sub as well.

Are they under-rating the water resistance to differentiate it from the Sub?
avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 03:43 AM   #2
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Thinner caseback
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 03:49 AM   #3
Brew
"TRF" Member

I think the YM’s elegant design and pm bezel do a good job differentiating it from the sub. I’m not sure the all-but-irrelevant water resistance number does much there.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 03:53 AM   #4
avicenna
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I think the YM’s elegant design and pm bezel do a good job differentiating it from the sub. I’m not sure the all-but-irrelevant water resistance number does much there.
Yeah, agreed. I am just curious of the technical factors of waterproofing. I was under the impression that the crown was the most important factor.

The caseback and crystal being more important for deeper depths.
Old 8 August 2021, 03:55 AM   #5
avicenna
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
Thinner caseback
Does that make the difference over the caseback gasket? Maybe smaller gasket? We are talking 300m, not 1000m.
Old 8 August 2021, 03:58 AM   #6
omx5o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Probably rated higher, but they need to differentiate this watch from the Submariner line.
omx5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 04:03 AM   #7
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
Just curious, but how deep do most scuba divers go?
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 04:09 AM   #8
watchmainspring
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Casio F91W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailhunter View Post

I agree. They probably know that most don't care about depth rating. And even with submariner users, few will go below 100m depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 August 2021, 04:51 AM   #9
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Recreational scuba is usually up to circa 20m. Anything over that is a deep dive, with a max depth of 40m.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 06:17 AM   #10
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
Sounds right. I have a friend who was a serious scuba diver who hade a series of ruptured ear drums going too deep. I tried snorkeling and loved doing so. Wore a very old (like me) DateJust. Just made sure the crown was screwed down.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 05:39 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
My own personal deepest dive just on breathing air and very very very carefully planned was a little over 100m, and can assure that was plenty deep enough for me and a very late 1990s Rolex SD. If I remember the deepest recorded dive just on scuba gear was in the Red Sea quite a few years back now ,by a guy called Nuno Gomes total depth was just over 318m perhaps now broken by a few M.

Now it only took him about 20/50 minutes to reach that depth, but because of breathing different gasses at that depth and pressure, it then took him little over 12 hours with all the safety stops to finally return to the surface safe, and without any form of decompression treatment. Now at these extreme depths, there are several diving related problems to overcome nitrogen narcosis, decompression sickness, oxygen toxicity, sheer dehydration and the different effects of the gases when changing over tanks containing the different gas mixtures. Now while breathing the high helium mix past around 60M the gas wants to leave the blood while the nitrogen wants to rush in.

Now this dive would have not been possible without a huge back up and very careful planning. Gomes is in a very small group of guys that have gone over 250m with just scuba gear. Plain fact there have been more guys to go to the moon, that have got past 250m underwater just on scuba. But most recreational divers today stick to around 30m- 40m max depth on just air. Some more technical recreational divers would go to perhaps 120m but for this type of diving you must be very experienced with plenty of planning and backup. So in the real world today the dive ratings on watches are a bit of a joke as they will never be used by man or superman on the wrist in water, perhaps they make them today because they can and little more. Most all Rolex watches today the only water they will see is perhaps a dip in the pool or in shower.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 06:10 PM   #12
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
My own personal deepest dive just on breathing air and very very very carefully planned was a little over 100m, and can assure that was plenty deep enough for me and a very late 1990s Rolex SD. If I remember the deepest recorded dive just on scuba gear was in the Red Sea quite a few years back now ,by a guy called Nuno Gomes total depth was just over 318m perhaps now broken by a few M.

Now it only took him about 20/50 minutes to reach that depth, but because of breathing different gasses at that depth and pressure, it then took him little over 12 hours with all the safety stops to finally return to the surface safe, and without any form of decompression treatment. Now at these extreme depths, there are several diving related problems to overcome nitrogen narcosis, decompression sickness, oxygen toxicity, sheer dehydration and the different effects of the gases when changing over tanks containing the different gas mixtures. Now while breathing the high helium mix past around 60M the gas wants to leave the blood while the nitrogen wants to rush in.

Now this dive would have not been possible without a huge back up and very careful planning. Gomes is in a very small group of guys that have gone over 250m with just scuba gear. Plain fact there have been more guys to go to the moon, that have got past 250m underwater just on scuba. But most recreational divers today stick to around 30m- 40m max depth on just air. Some more technical recreational divers would go to perhaps 120m but for this type of diving you must be very experienced with plenty of planning and backup. So in the real world today the dive ratings on watches are a bit of a joke as they will never be used by man or superman on the wrist in water, perhaps they make them today because they can and little more. Most all Rolex watches today the only water they will see is perhaps a dip in the pool or in shower.

Very very impressive Peter, the thought of diving to such depths is terrifying, I’m full of admiration for folk that do it.

I have a Sea Dweller and yet I’m not even a good swimmer, I’m certainly not someone that would contemplate going in the Sea for anything other than a paddle! But I love the story of the Sea Dweller and the Comex saturation divers, I’m full of respect for folk like you that dive, and I’m full of respect for the capability of the watch (maybe not so much today with modern day knowledge etc. but definitely back in the day when the Sea Dweller was born).

So i enjoy the Sea Dweller for what it can do and for what others have done with it.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 06:11 PM   #13
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
YM pass the 300 meter test easy but when it's not a diver watch Rolex approve it only for 100 meters.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 06:21 PM   #14
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
About 30 feet. 130 feet is considered the recreational divers limit. 100 meters is way, way beyond what most recreational divers even consider.
jimcameron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 07:52 PM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Very very impressive Peter, the thought of diving to such depths is terrifying, I’m full of admiration for folk that do it.

I have a Sea Dweller and yet I’m not even a good swimmer, I’m certainly not someone that would contemplate going in the Sea for anything other than a paddle! But I love the story of the Sea Dweller and the Comex saturation divers, I’m full of respect for folk like you that dive, and I’m full of respect for the capability of the watch (maybe not so much today with modern day knowledge etc. but definitely back in the day when the Sea Dweller was born).

So i enjoy the Sea Dweller for what it can do and for what others have done with it.

As long as you are well trained and obey all the dive related rules then its a great sport, and thank you much appreciated for your reply post. All information supplied from my own 79 year old brain power, without the aid of loupes, timegraphers, alignment points, protective film, phone apps, and the rest of todays Rolex watch toys.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 8 August 2021, 07:57 PM   #16
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Yeah, kind of odd that it (and the Explorer, GMT-Master, etc) only has the same water resistance as a $220 Seiko 5 with no screwdown crown (and which also has a day-date function).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (246.4 KB, 262 views)
Old 8 August 2021, 08:37 PM   #17
chocopeluche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avicenna View Post
Yeah, agreed. I am just curious of the technical factors of waterproofing. I was under the impression that the crown was the most important factor.

The caseback and crystal being more important for deeper depths.

The casebacks larger surface area makes it susceptible to deformation which could damage the movement.

SF, CA
chocopeluche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 09:09 PM   #18
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post

Big for that achievement.

It's interesting to get some sort of perspective on the depths for SCUBA, as well as free-diving and saturation diving records.

I love swimming but have no desire to dive. The idea of playing around with blood gases, relying on breathing equipment and potentially getting disorientated under tens of metres of water does nothing for me - I've got a 'Red Sea' shirt a friend brought back for me from his trip out to the Blue Hole and that's all I need :)
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 09:34 PM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
Big for that achievement.

It's interesting to get some sort of perspective on the depths for SCUBA, as well as free-diving and saturation diving records.

I love swimming but have no desire to dive. The idea of playing around with blood gases, relying on breathing equipment and potentially getting disorientated under tens of metres of water does nothing for me - I've got a 'Red Sea' shirt a friend brought back for me from his trip out to the Blue Hole and that's all I need :)
Thank you and free-diving is a lot different to scuba or saturation diving a free diver take one breath of air at normal above surface 1 atmosphere pressure, dive to depth and return to surface blowing out trapped air in lungs on the return to surface overwise lugs would burst. But when breathing compressed air scuba diving thats a different story, think of it this way take a balloon down to 10m under water. That's 2 atmospheres one water pressure one surface air pressure. Now fill that balloon with air at that pressure of 2 atmospheres. Now because the compressed air is now under-pressure and quite dense. You can fill it but the amount of air breathing gas content would be twice as much as normal above water on the surface. Now release that balloon and let it go back to the surface because of the return to one atmosphere surface pressure balloon would expand and burst simply because there was twice as much air in it at surface pressure. Have dived in the Red Sea many many times including the Blue hole at Dahab its a vertical sink hole at about 140m, arch connecting the blue hole to the Red Sea starting at around 60m deep but there are much better dive sites in the Red sea.

All information supplied from my own 79 year old brain power, without the aid of loupes, timegraphers, alignment points, protective film, phone apps, and the rest of todays Rolex watch toys.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 8 August 2021, 10:34 PM   #20
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
YM pass the 300 meter test easy but when it's not a diver watch Rolex approve it only for 100 meters.
Are you sure it can go to 300m. Does it have the exact same case back as a Submariner. As you know several things have to be in place for it to go that deep.
Crystal, crown with correct gaskets and case back with correct gaskets.
The Yachtmaster is thinner than the Submariner so something is not the same because the movement is so that’s not why the Sub is thicker.

Now if you are saying “it can” if Rolex just adds the proper parts and calls it a diver, yes I agree. But as it is from the factory I don’t believe a Yachtmaster or GMT2 can go to 300m like the Submariner. It’s not just because they aren’t dive watches, it’s because the parts are different. Same thing for a Daytona, it has a trip lock crown, but thinner case back and crystal plus those pushers don’t help anything.

Just trying to clarify and understand your comment because I know you’ve opened them up.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 10:44 PM   #21
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Yeah, kind of odd that it (and the Explorer, GMT-Master, etc) only has the same water resistance as a $220 Seiko 5 with no screwdown crown (and which also has a day-date function).
Well it comes down to the watch’s construction plus the type of seals and gaskets. I’m sure the trip lock crown watches such as the GMT2 and Yachtmaster can go confidently past 100m, maybe another 20-40m, and do it while experiencing dynamic pressures, ie moving and swinging of the hands and water pressures from currents not just testing in a machine in an office.
I honestly wouldn’t feel confident taking the Seiko down to 100m, but ymmv.
Old 8 August 2021, 10:58 PM   #22
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Well it comes down to the watch’s construction plus the type of seals and gaskets. I’m sure the trip lock crown watches such as the GMT2 and Yachtmaster can go confidently past 100m, maybe another 20-40m, and do it while experiencing dynamic pressures, ie moving and swinging of the hands and water pressures from currents not just testing in a machine in an office.
I honestly wouldn’t feel confident taking the Seiko down to 100m, but ymmv.
I would. Seiko tends to understate its depth ratings. Its 1,000-metre-rated Tuna dive watches (auto and quartz) have been proven to function at well below 3,000 metres. The screwdown crown is almost century-old technology.
Old 8 August 2021, 11:53 PM   #23
Jocke

Quote:
Are you sure it can go to 300m. Does it have the exact same case back as a Submariner. As you know several things have to be in place for it to go that deep.
Crystal, crown with correct gaskets and case back with correct gaskets.
The Yachtmaster is thinner than the Submariner so something is not the same because the movement is so that’s not why the Sub is thicker.

Now if you are saying “it can” if Rolex just adds the proper parts and calls it a diver, yes I agree. But as it is from the factory I don’t believe a Yachtmaster or GMT2 can go to 300m like the Submariner. It’s not just because they aren’t dive watches, it’s because the parts are different. Same thing for a Daytona, it has a trip lock crown, but thinner case back and crystal plus those pushers don’t help anything.

Just trying to clarify and understand your comment because I know you’ve opened them up.
No, some parts it's not the same. But I have got my YM tested att 300 meters in a testing machine and there was no problems. Hence my comment.

Old 9 August 2021, 12:21 AM   #24
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I would. Seiko tends to understate its depth ratings. Its 1,000-metre-rated Tuna dive watches (auto and quartz) have been proven to function at well below 3,000 metres. The screwdown crown is almost century-old technology.
I suppose it’s not that difficult really. Panerais aren’t screwed down and they manage just fine. Engineering and design go a long way in this regard.
Watches in general are centuries old technology, not much more we can do when it comes to a mechanical watch except materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
No, some parts it's not the same. But I have got my YM tested att 300 meters in a testing machine and there was no problems. Hence my comment.
Guess that means a Submariner can go down to 500m then.
Old 9 August 2021, 12:26 AM   #25
avicenna
"TRF" Member

So i think what are are all saying is: if you are swimming and recreational diving, the Sub and the YM are exactly equally as safe in the water.

But if you are going deep diving past 200m, go with the Sub due to the thin profile of the YM. Correct?
Old 9 August 2021, 12:37 AM   #26
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by avicenna View Post
So i think what are are all saying is: if you are swimming and recreational diving, the Sub and the YM are exactly equally as safe in the water.

But if you are going deep diving past 200m, go with the Sub due to the thin profile of the YM. Correct?
In the real world more men have gone to the moon that have dived past 200m-250m just using scuba gear. Most all high max dive depth ratings on watches will never be used by man or superman on the wrist in water.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 9 August 2021, 12:52 AM   #27
Jocke

Quote:

Guess that means a Submariner can go down to 500m then.
I'm pretty sure that is possible.